Author Topic: Do FA/Hockey, AWS/habitat, quasi Decks have the same shape?  (Read 5698 times)

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Do FA/Hockey, AWS/habitat, quasi Decks have the same shape?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2022, 05:48:35 AM »
Expand Quote

I have a few boards that I compared today, all 8.5 which might be a bit big for some people, but it was the only size I had between all brands.

FA deck - steepest kicks, medium concave, fairly normal 14.25 wheelbase and normal tail (not as short as I thought it might be)

AWS and Habitat decks - about medium all round, normal 14.25 wheelbase but longer kicks than anything else

Quasi - PS Stix so a little different all up, steeper nose, not so steep tail but it was the shortest tail of all the boards

GX1000 - PS Stix again, steeper than the Quasi, but not as steep as the FA (well used / abused) so couldn't determine length of tail

In the PS Stix boards, Quasi, WKND, GX1000 are fairly similar in some shapes, so check these too if you want to work out some other blunt options for kicks like the FA boards.
[close]

Those are exactly the brands I’m interested in!

AWS/habitat really have such long kicks?

The question that’s the most interesting to me:

Do you have any issues when switching between those brands ? Do you have to get used to the new deck when it’s a different brand?

I should have added that AWS / Habitat boards, which actually have more like 14.2 or even 14.18 wheelbase are the longest there as well, being true 32.25 which is the same length as my other normal DLX boards with 14.5 wheelbase and my boards still have "normal" nose and tail lengths, so it might not seem like much, but it is quite a lot in a game of mm.

Skating different boards from those on that list, there are often different things you would get more used to, but I think the different woodshops are going to be the main issue - you get used to one concave, even between any brand on that woodshop and then go to a different concave from a different woodshop and the board will feel a bit weird, but it is not something that takes too long to get used to, if you are somewhat indifferent to overall board feels.

Being me, I am so terribly conditioned to a certain feel of board that almost anything else gives me a bad day, but that is not to say that I cannot get used to them and even grow to like them.  It is just that I don't want to get used to them, as I know I can get more of the exact same thing that I am used to, play, repeat, play, repeat, etc.

Most of these were second hand to start with, so as I usually do, I will set them up and have a roll on them to see what they are like (and make sure they are still ok to ride) before taking them apart or keeping them setup for boards for people to skate and have a sample of what they are like.

For the new ones, I still stand on everything to see what they are like, in concave, kick angle and feel, then put them up, or if they are for someone specific, grip them and set them up for the person.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2022, 11:58:07 AM »
Thx. I’ll try AWS or Habitat next, but still have a hockey deck here too. Maybe hockey after the AWS/ habitat and then let’s see what I like more.

Oh I didn’t set the hockey deck up yet because I heard some people struggle with them compared with high ventures. But I guess there’s enough people who combine those. Even that Beatrice Domond girl rides venture / fa

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2022, 06:04:15 PM »

Really it is down to what people get used to.

Coming from a more mellow or longer tail, almost anyone will get a little ghost pop if they don't bend their knees enough on boards with short steep kicks.  I certainly did when skating a couple of steeper kick boards, when my usual board is the most mellow I can find.

Regardless of Indy, Thunder, Venture or other trucks too, once you are used to them, it is not a big deal.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2022, 01:29:45 AM »

Coming from a more mellow or longer tail, almost anyone will get a little ghost pop if they don't bend their knees enough on boards with short steep kicks.  I certainly did when skating a couple of steeper kick boards, when my usual board is the most mellow I can find.

Regardless of Indy, Thunder, Venture or other trucks too, once you are used to them, it is not a big deal.

I bet you are right. I’m jumping from one shape to another since I started skating again. Magenta 8“ 14“ deck right now. Alien after. Hockey after this. Then I’ll decide what I liked best.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2022, 04:05:06 AM »

From anther thread, same question, so here is the same answer.

I feel like those shapes that AWS and Habitat use are exclusive to them, as no one else seems to have that same shape going on right now.  From one deck of the same size (8.5) they were the same, but I couldn't say for everything in their range, but I am assuming they are, given they are run from the same place and have the same listed dimensions on their websites.

The older boards in normal shapes were the same as DLX shapes and sizes (of which I still have some) but they haven't done those more normal shapes in a while and everything I have seen lately from both brands have been pretty much the same, medium long blunt or squared off kicks with short wheelbases on the BBS made boards.

Both do seem to be different on other wood from various places round the world, with different shapes too, so just be aware of that.  They are BBS in USA and here in AU, but EU might have a mix as does South Americas and Asian areas, as per people's comments about it.

To add to that, PS Stix does WKND and Quasi so it is a different woodshop and those shapes are significantly different, with PS Stix boards having significantly shorter tails than the BBS boards for AWS and Habitat, just for starters.

If you like shorter tails, try WKND, Quasi or FA / Hockey but if you prefer longer tails, then AWS and Habitat will work better for you.

Is there another brand that shares the exact shape of gx?

What are you riding I would love to know? Are you sticking to one brand and shape or are you switching it up all the time?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2022, 04:36:57 AM »
Expand Quote

I feel like those shapes that AWS and Habitat use are exclusive to them, as no one else seems to have that same shape going on right now.  From one deck of the same size (8.5) they were the same, but I couldn't say for everything in their range, but I am assuming they are, given they are run from the same place and have the same listed dimensions on their websites.

The older boards in normal shapes were the same as DLX shapes and sizes (of which I still have some) but they haven't done those more normal shapes in a while and everything I have seen lately from both brands have been pretty much the same, medium long blunt or squared off kicks with short wheelbases on the BBS made boards.

Both do seem to be different on other wood from various places round the world, with different shapes too, so just be aware of that.  They are BBS in USA and here in AU, but EU might have a mix as does South Americas and Asian areas, as per people's comments about it.

To add to that, PS Stix does WKND and Quasi so it is a different woodshop and those shapes are significantly different, with PS Stix boards having significantly shorter tails than the BBS boards for AWS and Habitat, just for starters.

If you like shorter tails, try WKND, Quasi or FA / Hockey but if you prefer longer tails, then AWS and Habitat will work better for you.
[close]

What are you riding I would love to know? Are you sticking to one brand and shape or are you switching it up all the time?

What size or shape of GX1000 are you thinking of, as a lot of brands will have generic shapes for some boards and specific shapes for others, just like the WKND list.

I had a lot more I had added here, but thought it is not really relevant to this thread, so copied it all to the Woodshop thread instead, which you can see here:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120409.msg3753439#msg3753439

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2022, 04:54:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What size or shape of GX1000 are you thinking of, as a lot of brands will have generic shapes for some boards and specific shapes for others, just like the WKND list.

I had a lot more I had added here, but thought it is not really relevant to this thread, so copied it all to the Woodshop thread instead, which you can see here:

Cool, I will check it out later.

I gx has different shapes too?

I would try to stick to 8 or 8.1 with 14 or 14.1 wb with high ventures hollows

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2022, 05:27:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

A quick look at a few places including their own site has these dimensions:

https://gx1000.com/collections/products/products/garden-bouquet-8

8" X 31.625" WB 14"

https://gx1000.com/collections/products/products/flower-copper-8-125

8.125" X 31.75" WB 14.125"

The shapes look pretty standard, but I am more used to seeing the 8.5 and up which always look more blunt in the kicks, but they are not at all as blunt as the FA or AWS boards.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2022, 06:50:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

A quick look at a few places including their own site has these dimensions:

https://gx1000.com/collections/products/products/garden-bouquet-8

8" X 31.625" WB 14"

https://gx1000.com/collections/products/products/flower-copper-8-125

8.125" X 31.75" WB 14.125"

The shapes look pretty standard, but I am more used to seeing the 8.5 and up which always look more blunt in the kicks, but they are not at all as blunt as the FA or AWS boards.

Thx a lot!

And damn. It’s really not easy 😄
Maybe full shape should not be that important as it seems impossible to find what I want then.

Now somebody says short tail is not optimal neither for venture highs and it’s getting even more restricted. And I think gx have pretty short tails.

Edit: some gx habe 6.3 and some 6.5 tails.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 09:47:19 AM by SlapMcKracken »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2022, 09:50:04 AM »
I liked Venture Hi with 6.5-6.675 tails. I found WB is what doomed them for me sometimes. Just made it hard to scoop and swing around.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2022, 10:01:00 AM »
I should have added that AWS / Habitat boards, which actually have more like 14.2 or even 14.18 wheelbase are the longest there as well, being true 32.25 which is the same length as my other normal DLX boards...

This is going to make me try one out soon... I got so use to the Baker B2 but I'm being pissy about their prices and selection right now.

I went back to my FA and I truly miss the 32.25 length.
 If the AWS is a combination of both (FA & the B2)  that would be amazing.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2022, 10:03:07 AM »
I liked Venture Hi with 6.5-6.675 tails. I found WB is what doomed them for me sometimes. Just made it hard to scoop and swing around.

So what wb- tail length ratio is best to you?

Anybody knows more about theories deck shapes?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2022, 10:13:39 AM »
Hmm, never really thought of it, but I had and liked them on Quasi 8.25 with 14.25 and a Carpet 8.25 with a 14.25 and 6.625 tail.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2022, 10:54:39 AM »
Hmm, never really thought of it, but I had and liked them on Quasi 8.25 with 14.25 and a Carpet 8.25 with a 14.25 and 6.625 tail.

Thanks. So another one with no issues on them with 14.25 wheelbase.

I’ll just test it out I guess. So many people that don’t skate them with 14“ wb. Can’t be too bad

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 317
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2022, 11:08:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I bet you are right. I’m jumping from one shape to another since I started skating again. Magenta 8“ 14“ deck right now. Alien after. Hockey after this. Then I’ll decide what I liked best.

Are Magenta 8" usually 14" WB? I've seen them listed as 14.25" at certain shops online but if they're indeed 14", I'll need to try one out!

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2022, 11:11:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Are Magenta 8" usually 14" WB? I've seen them listed as 14.25" at certain shops online but if they're indeed 14", I'll need to try one out!

I think absolutely most of their 8“ are 14“ in wb

Just checked some and all habe 14“ wb and 31.5 length.

Unfortunately I have no idea how long the tail is

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 317
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2022, 11:40:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks. So another one with no issues on them with 14.25 wheelbase.

I’ll just test it out I guess. So many people that don’t skate them with 14“ wb. Can’t be too bad

I'm skating Venture highs on a Baker 8.0 mellow concave (14.25 WB) right now and it works for me. Previous decks were TKF 8.0 (14.25 WB) and 2 Bakers (same shape as current). Of the two brands, I like the TKF shape more as the tail is slightly longer and more full than the short, tapered tail on the Baker. I definitely think I would benefit more if I was on a 14 WB as 360 flips and 180's seem way easier in my experience, but 14.25 WB is way more readily available and is not a huge deal breaker.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2022, 01:20:07 PM »
See for me when stuff gets easier, it can also get sketchier at speed

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2022, 04:17:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So what wb- tail length ratio is best to you?

Anybody knows more about theories deck shapes?

Theories and Hopps were BBS, then went with Clutch during pandemic times and the latest drops are all now back on BBS wood, so it is a mixed bag.

The shapes are generic popsicles, the 8" having a 14" wb from boards I looked up but could be either wood still.

One was definitely still Clutch with the number and letter stamp in the front bolts area, clearance on SW.

The Killing Floor, Carpet and most other brands on BBS are for the most part also the same popsicle shapes, fairly generic sizes and shapes too, from what I have seen, which to me is good.

I do tend to look more at the bigger (8.38 / 8.5) boards rather than the smaller ones, but even normal pics still seem like the usual popsicles in smaller boards too.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2022, 01:45:39 PM »

I have a few boards that I compared today, all 8.5 which might be a bit big for some people, but it was the only size I had between all brands.

FA deck - steepest kicks, medium concave, fairly normal 14.25 wheelbase and normal tail (not as short as I thought it might be)

AWS and Habitat decks - about medium all round, normal 14.25 wheelbase but longer kicks than anything else

Quasi - PS Stix so a little different all up, steeper nose, not so steep tail but it was the shortest tail of all the boards

GX1000 - PS Stix again, steeper than the Quasi, but not as steep as the FA (well used / abused) so couldn't determine length of tail

In the PS Stix boards, Quasi, WKND, GX1000 are fairly similar in some shapes, so check these too if you want to work out some other blunt options for kicks like the FA boards.

Just rereading this. Interesting that quasi and gx decks are still different in shape.
I checked both websites and their 8.125s have the same length and wb. So you think just the steepness of the kicks is different ?

Aws/habitat only have a 14“ wb with their 8.125 Decks. 8.0 or 8.25 have 14.25. strange to me, but good to know.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1368
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2022, 02:37:13 PM »
I'm not sure this has been brought up but my understanding is that the GX board brand is being distributed out of Quasi so I would imagine it would follow that the shapes are identical. No idea how the boards are pressed over there at PS Stix so I don't know about things like variations in concave due to place in the stack vs GX riders just liking and getting steeper molds though. Every Quasi I have seen has been a mellow fellow.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2022, 04:17:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just rereading this. Interesting that quasi and gx decks are still different in shape.
I checked both websites and their 8.125s have the same length and wb. So you think just the steepness of the kicks is different ?

Aws/habitat only have a 14“ wb with their 8.125 Decks. 8.0 or 8.25 have 14.25. strange to me, but good to know.

Honestly I don't know that much about Quasi and GX1000 or really follow PS Stix as much as other woodshops, but I could guess in much the same way that others do their boards, FA prefers steeper, Baker has the mellow mold, both out of BBS (and Baker B2 are steeper concaves) so it stands to reason that if a certain company wants more mellow boards and another certain company wants steeper, that could easily be done, all through the same woodshop.

@jakeumms That is interesting to know as well - makes sense when doing things all yourself can be made a whole lot easier by getting in with an established brand, with their distribution lines and all that.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2022, 05:18:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Honestly I don't know that much about Quasi and GX1000 or really follow PS Stix as much as other woodshops, but I could guess in much the same way that others do their boards, FA prefers steeper, Baker has the mellow mold, both out of BBS (and Baker B2 are steeper concaves) so it stands to reason that if a certain company wants more mellow boards and another certain company wants steeper, that could easily be done, all through the same woodshop.

@jakeumms That is interesting to know as well - makes sense when doing things all yourself can be made a whole lot easier by getting in with an established brand, with their distribution lines and all that.

Sorry for another question, but do you know how long the AWS/ habitat tails of the 8.125 decks are? I guess they are not as long as 8.25 + tails.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2022, 05:47:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Sorry for another question, but do you know how long the AWS/ habitat tails of the 8.125 decks are? I guess they are not as long as 8.25 + tails.

I mainly deal with boards around 8.38 and 8.5 so smaller boards are not something I usually have too many measurements on, besides the assorted decks I did have while working in a shop before covid 2020 issues.

Some shop sites like Tactics do have all measurements listed, so that is often the first stop, but as a lot of people say, don't take everything you see on there as 100% correct.

A couple of boards I know the dimensions of were correct, but then at least one other was a bit out, not by much though.

https://www.tactics.com/

I do think that a lot of boards of smaller sizes do have smaller tails, from that quick look around, so 6.5 is about the longest on those boards, some maybe a bit longer, but most are shorter coming in around 6.4 or so.

One board in 8.12 was the AH black eagle, 8.12 x 32 with 14.25 wb and 6.75 tail, which is why I rode that thing for a good ten years or more and had a lot of them.  Just the length of the tail alone made it last an extra month and would usually last longer for anyone else I passed them on to after I was done with them as well.

Some people might not be a fan of that shape, but it was fairly normal for an 8 sized board, not at all stubby or blunt but not too tapered either.

Nth syd bear

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 323
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2022, 07:51:38 PM »
Did any of you ever skate a numbers board? Ideally a P.S stix one

If so was that similar to a fa/hockey board?

Maybe I should ask in the questions thread

I have  a long winded reason why I'm curious

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2022, 02:44:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I mainly deal with boards around 8.38 and 8.5 so smaller boards are not something I usually have too many measurements on, besides the assorted decks I did have while working in a shop before covid 2020 issues.

Some shop sites like Tactics do have all measurements listed, so that is often the first stop, but as a lot of people say, don't take everything you see on there as 100% correct.

A couple of boards I know the dimensions of were correct, but then at least one other was a bit out, not by much though.

https://www.tactics.com/

I do think that a lot of boards of smaller sizes do have smaller tails, from that quick look around, so 6.5 is about the longest on those boards, some maybe a bit longer, but most are shorter coming in around 6.4 or so.

One board in 8.12 was the AH black eagle, 8.12 x 32 with 14.25 wb and 6.75 tail, which is why I rode that thing for a good ten years or more and had a lot of them.  Just the length of the tail alone made it last an extra month and would usually last longer for anyone else I passed them on to after I was done with them as well.

Some people might not be a fan of that shape, but it was fairly normal for an 8 sized board, not at all stubby or blunt but not too tapered either.

Thanks! And yeah, seems like tails getting longer work 8.25 decks.
I will just try different decks now and see how I like it.
Might try the real oval 8.125 too. Has a 14“ wb and a pretty long tail for that size. Looks interesting