Author Topic: Cult of the Huffer  (Read 43512 times)

Frank and Fred

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
Re: Cult of the Huffer
« Reply #570 on: March 06, 2023, 11:50:11 AM »
Yeah, it s a beaut. There's a Kanfoush board (8.38") that goes along with it also that has an equally stunning graphic.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #571 on: March 06, 2023, 12:58:47 PM »
Maybe I shouldn't share this but it wasn't hard to find... Summer Drop. Reminds me of Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Will def pick this up.

Goddamn the ending

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 128
« Reply #572 on: March 16, 2023, 05:53:21 PM »

My homie got me this board for fathers day. I think its 6 or so years old.

Always liked this graphic. Marcos is sick.

Any ways
Venture 5.8 or the 8.5 ones standards with riptide cups stock bushings.
56 prize fighter wheels with race reds.

I mostly flip my board around and try to grind blocks. Was hyped that i fs flip a bit better on this than on "tech" set ups. Felt like i was Coco Santiago.

The black label cardiel reissue is almost the same shape.

The Label is a tad shorter on the kicks. Mostly the nose

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #573 on: March 16, 2023, 07:57:37 PM »

Any ways

I mostly flip my board around and try to grind blocks. Was hyped that i fs flip a bit better on this than on "tech" set ups. Felt like i was Coco Santiago.

I had a few of these graphics…big fan, fond memories. Might have been longer than 6 years ago…shit time is flying.
In part due to the length and the concave, my huffers lasted fooooooorever.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #574 on: March 16, 2023, 08:22:31 PM »
Great content. Keep on 'Huffin'

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #575 on: March 16, 2023, 08:24:38 PM »

Any ways

That cardiel reissue is a sick one

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #576 on: March 16, 2023, 09:00:11 PM »
I spend too most of my time on the gear thread and I get the itch.

The Huffer looks like a sweet shape and I’m very tempted but that longer wheelbase feels like it’ll be hard to work with.
Any short kings skate these and willing to share their experiences?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #577 on: March 17, 2023, 06:24:46 AM »
I spend too most of my time on the gear thread and I get the itch.

The Huffer looks like a sweet shape and I’m very tempted but that longer wheelbase feels like it’ll be hard to work with.
Any short kings skate these and willing to share their experiences?

I started a thread about 14” wb, years after I skated the huffer.
Now I’m a mess and just skate whatever I get hyped on. I was skated a 14.5” wb, and yesterday went back to a 14” for the first time in quite awhile and had a great session. So…who knows.
I’m real life short, skateboard average: 5’8” ish/if. But short short legs. Overall length is of a board is important to me, and I currently much prefer a short tail and nose. The huffer is long, and the nose and tail are long.
Anyways, for me, the huffer shape was super sick, had a few, remember it fondly. My favorite setup was with thunder 151 hollow lights and 52s. I also enjoyed it with 159s, and 169s. probably preferred 159s. Never tried it with the classic ace 55s, but would imagine that would be a go. Thunders for me tho.
Blah blah blah. Strangely some of my shitty flatground worked on this behemoth. I wasn’t learning new tricks, but kickflips in particular, felt rad.
Because if the width and concave, deck lasts and lasts.
Underrated aspect is that looking down the deck just looks cool.
With some softer wheels, I’d be hyped to grab one and just skate to and fro, for transport, and with the ability to do some tricks in between.
For how I skate currently, parking lots and flatground, the shape is too big and too much.
Ramble ramble ramble.
For some reason the 14.75+ wb ended up not sucking. The shape has some ‘magical’ proportions, and is a great time, but for me is too much to be my only

(I don’t have an only)

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #578 on: March 17, 2023, 12:18:17 PM »

If SLAP is to be believed, skating Ventures on a 14.75" wb will result in death or worse, but I threw 6.1s on my Huffer and it was nice and stable and light.  I'm currently trying some AF1s with hard bushings to see if I like that set up, but I'll probably go back to Ventures soon.

Fifty8mm

• Rep: 128
« Reply #579 on: March 17, 2023, 02:09:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If SLAP is to be believed, skating Ventures on a 14.75" wb will result in death or worse, but I threw 6.1s on my Huffer and it was nice and stable and light.  I'm currently trying some AF1s with hard bushings to see if I like that set up, but I'll probably go back to Ventures soon.

Yeah i was skating 13.7 to 14 wb exclusively. And it worked but i switched to bigger boards just to thin out my stacks. Started with a 14.15 wb now I'm up to this wb. Not sure if 14.5 or 14.75 but even with ventures it feels hella good.

I'm 5'9" tall for a mexican but short for the world.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #580 on: March 26, 2023, 07:03:10 PM »
Had a lot of fun on this early 90s inspired magic carpet Huffer today.

undersized Ace Af1 55s and 101a lil smokies, were 50mm prob about 48mm right now. smallest undercarriage i've had on the Huffer thus far.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #581 on: May 10, 2023, 02:40:46 PM »
Sun’s finally out in Oregon. Time to break the lull and get some Huffer show-and-tell going again…

Similar to the previous post, I’ve been on my own little early-90s journey with this Huffer. Basically, I kinda biffed the initial setup, didn’t really like it, but instead of retiring it, I started thinking about making it into a weird BPSW-inspired rig.

I thought I nailed it last fall with the AF1 60 Lows, but I found these 161s that I had forgotten about under the couch a few weeks ago (then remembered I took them off my Beach Bummer the week before it got stolen out of the car). 48mm Classic Smokies and these natural “hot glue” colored NFG bushings, and we are really cooking now. Anyone else stick with these NFGs past the break-in? Seems like they were just too fresh if you got them right when they made them. A little cure time and these are great. Really fun on these big Thunders.

Only gotten it out a couple times, but early returns are very good. This is coming with me every time we go to the store “just in case there’s a nice parking lot, babe.”

Eagle Huffer
Thunder 161 Std, NFG suspension
Spitfire Classic Smokies, 48mm/99A
Generic metal-shield 608 bearings
Black bolts, silver nuts
Probably Jessup

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #582 on: May 10, 2023, 04:23:27 PM »
Only skated it a little bit on two different sessions, one at my local and another at a curb/slappy spot, but I’m sad to report that my engagement with the Phawt left me feeling disappointed. I flip my board quite a lot and the huge wheelbase made that challenging, so I was more hopeful about slappies but that wasn’t doing it for me either sadly. Especially going back and forth comparing it to my usual whip, the loveseat.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #583 on: May 10, 2023, 04:27:51 PM »
Only skated it a little bit on two different sessions, one at my local and another at a curb/slappy spot, but I’m sad to report that my engagement with the Phawt left me feeling disappointed. I flip my board quite a lot and the huge wheelbase made that challenging, so I was more hopeful about slappies but that wasn’t doing it for me either sadly. Especially going back and forth comparing it to my usual whip, the loveseat.

My phawt left me super disappointed. Not sure if it's mental or if it's crail wood or something, but it didn't seem to have that huffer magic...

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #584 on: May 10, 2023, 08:12:17 PM »
Glad to see the Huffer Cult coming back to life.

Agree Phawt pales in comparison. Crail wood is good but the Phawt ain't no Huffer. I think if I skate Crail wood again I will try the Loverseat Plus.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #585 on: May 11, 2023, 08:48:20 AM »
Sun’s finally out in Oregon. Time to break the lull and get some Huffer show-and-tell going again…

Similar to the previous post, I’ve been on my own little early-90s journey with this Huffer. Basically, I kinda biffed the initial setup, didn’t really like it, but instead of retiring it, I started thinking about making it into a weird BPSW-inspired rig.

I thought I nailed it last fall with the AF1 60 Lows, but I found these 161s that I had forgotten about under the couch a few weeks ago (then remembered I took them off my Beach Bummer the week before it got stolen out of the car). 48mm Classic Smokies and these natural “hot glue” colored NFG bushings, and we are really cooking now. Anyone else stick with these NFGs past the break-in? Seems like they were just too fresh if you got them right when they made them. A little cure time and these are great. Really fun on these big Thunders.

Only gotten it out a couple times, but early returns are very good. This is coming with me every time we go to the store “just in case there’s a nice parking lot, babe.”

Eagle Huffer
Black bolts, silver nuts
Probably Jessup

Can you compare the 161 turn to narrower Thunders? They look a tad too wide for the Huffer for my tastes but they also look like such a beautiful truck.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #586 on: May 11, 2023, 03:40:18 PM »
Expand Quote

Eagle Huffer
Black bolts, silver nuts
Probably Jessup

[close]

Can you compare the 161 turn to narrower Thunders? They look a tad too wide for the Huffer for my tastes but they also look like such a beautiful truck.

They actually fit well on this particular setup, but only because 48mm Classics are one of the smallest things you can mount up. Anything else, this would be a hot-rod for sure.

As for the trucks, yes they are definitely beauties and it’s probably the only truck whose aesthetics can hold up proportionally to such dinky wheels. Honestly, I’m really impressed with them. The extra height is great. I feel like you can actually get these a little looser to start, and having that quick Thunder turn on a bigger truck is very fun. I had previously been riding 56mm wheels with the stock bushings (no risers), and I wasn’t getting bad wheelbite at all. They’re also light for big trucks; feels like the board has a little extra lift. You can kinda see it in the detail pic, but the kingpin clearance is good, too.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #587 on: May 11, 2023, 05:50:26 PM »
Yeah, I'm frothing to try some 161s. I checked out some 181s in the shop the other day and they were unbelievable light and sexy for a 10" truck. Wide Thunders are underrated.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #588 on: May 16, 2023, 07:17:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Maybe I shouldn't share this but it wasn't hard to find... Summer Drop. Reminds me of Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Will def pick this up.

[close]

Fuuck. that's nearly as good as the grimple huffer graphic....

This one is starting to hit shops.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #589 on: May 16, 2023, 03:58:54 PM »

Those cross coloured stains that tie in with the graphic that DLX does are awesome.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #590 on: May 22, 2023, 11:56:55 AM »
one of my earliest setups was a huffer
151 hollows
52 radial slims

a part of me wants to go back
but super different from what i run today
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #591 on: May 29, 2023, 10:13:47 AM »

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 359
« Reply #592 on: May 29, 2023, 12:50:14 PM »
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #593 on: May 29, 2023, 08:09:09 PM »
Suttree would be dark as all hell. But why stop there? How about a Cormac McCarthy series for the literary nerds?

Got a glimpse of the next Huffer coming (Fall Drop 2) and it might please fans of an old AH artist.

Hoping for a wheel-welled Huffer at some point...

And a Slick Huffer...

And a Huffer Jr... slightly narrower with a 14.25" WB?

Dlx dudes, I know you're reading...

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #594 on: May 29, 2023, 08:24:31 PM »
Slick huffer. Yes!

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #595 on: May 30, 2023, 08:32:22 PM »
id fuck with a huffer that was slightly shorter, around 32”
that and a 14.25 wb would be dreamy
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #596 on: May 30, 2023, 08:42:19 PM »

A modern classic graphic.  Best one I’ve seen in a minute.

pops

• Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #597 on: June 12, 2023, 10:10:13 PM »
I'm about to go back to my Huffer and pair it with Af1 60s. I tried to skate it with 9" trucks but felt like it was too much truck. My ankles have been hurting lately because of skating street and pushing around and feel like it would be better to stick to miniramp for a bit. Huffer is my favorite transition board atm.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #598 on: July 23, 2023, 01:42:38 PM »
Finally set up the Snuffer

Classic 55s with Ace hard bushings
1/8" Ace risers
58mm 99a F4 Classics
Bones Swiss 6

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #599 on: July 23, 2023, 02:39:42 PM »
Finally set up the Snuffer

Classic 55s with Ace hard bushings
1/8" Ace risers
58mm 99a F4 Classics
Bones Swiss 6

My first ever deck. It was 1994 and it was so used, waterlogged and chewed up, but it was mine. I should have grabbed a reissue when John put them out.