Author Topic: Cult of the Huffer  (Read 42252 times)

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
Re: Cult of the Huffer
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2022, 09:57:51 AM »
I got this:

And it's been real fun to skate! I got Ace 66s and Spitfire Classic 54mm lifted with some lil risers I made, and I'm skurfin the streets.

If flip tricks are a must, alledgedly sizing down on the trucks and having wide wheels help that flick. Idk I just suffer either way. Noseslides don't feel any different either.

I highly recommend this shape.

That’s nearly identical to mine but I’ve got 53mm classics and no risers. I’m going to try some 55mm radials with it I think

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2022, 10:19:07 AM »
I stared at that black Cardiel Huffer at my shop yesterday for 10 minutes because of this thread. Looks great but the WB makes me nervous

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2022, 10:29:36 AM »
Huffer vs phawt opinions?
I got the huffer because Cory Stan. So maybe phawt is the one, but I have a pretty found memory of the way the wood felt on the huffers (my current go to board is a griffin board, and it skated way better than it feels. Meaning it sounds/feels sorta dead, but I land more stuff on it, soooo).

What @Mbrimson88 said re: the board rides smaller than its size. Normally, for me, a wb like that and I’m pretty ground bound, not gonna nollie flip etc. not claiming they look great (they never do, it’s not the equipment), but in my experience if you can do a trick, you can do it on this shape.

I had the black widow, hoping it was a huffer that I could just skate with 8.5 trucks. Fuck I could not skate that thing. In hindsight, I was also skating 5.8 ventures for the first time, and just didn’t chill and skate it for long enough. Truthfully anything will work. I spend too much time bothering ya’ll on this forum, but a skateboard is a skateboard (I just watched some video where Pedro Barros was being thankful for having regular griptape, as in made for skateboards griptape…definitely reminded me of what a privileged kook I am).

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2022, 10:48:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
calling @Freelancevagrant
[close]

Absolutely adoring this thread. This is home!

Quick little fun fact about how great this shape really is: ishod learned how to skate transition on a huffer.
[close]

Fuck! Now I’m gonna NEED one of these.
I want to hear more about this please.

You absolutely must get it dude, they are perfect. It took me for ever to find and to save everyone else the headache of trying to find it, I screen capped it for all my pals.

https://youtu.be/RDIQMNA04gA

Also, here’s the last huffer I had set up, I be got two more on ice though!

Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2022, 11:29:16 AM »
Huffer vs phawt opinions?

The Phawt is slightly more straight outline and not as 'football.'

Here's the breakdowns I have in detail:

Huffer

Length 32.5" with tape pulled, 32 3/4" with tape flat.
WB 14.75" on the money.
Tail: 6.75" (maybe a smidge shorter)
Nose: 6 7/8" (maybe the tiniest bit longer but def under 7")
Width at front holes of front truck: 8 5/8"
Width at back holes of front truck: 8 7/8"
Width at widest point: 9 1/8"
Width at front holes of back truck 9" (maybe a tad narrower)
Width at back holes of back truck 8 3/4" (maybe a pubic hair width shorter)

Phawt

Length 32.5" with tape pulled, 33 with tape flat.
WB 14.75" also on the money.
Tail: 6.75"
Nose: 7" (maybe the tiniest bit  under 7")
Width at front holes of front truck: 8 5/8"
Width at back holes of front truck: 8 7/8"
Width at widest point: 9 1/8" (maybe a tad thinner)
Width at front holes of back truck 8 3/4"
Width at back holes of back truck 8 5/8"

All in all I'd say the Huffer has slightly better dimensions, shape and concave. Phawt has a squarer nose and tail, less overall taper and football/ egg type shape. Huffer has the unique feature of being wider toward the tail which I find great for smithgrnds. Phawt is still fun and you can often find them for cheap.

Also, this thread is coming along great. Keep 'em coming.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 01:00:28 PM by Frank and Fred »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2022, 11:40:00 AM »
Some previous graphics

Frank and Fred

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2022, 11:51:55 AM »
Would love to see footage/ photos of other skaters on Huffers/ Phawts but its mostly CK1... Pretty sure he was using 151s on his as 161s were not out at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H6xqAIximA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n12T0jrsbs

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2022, 01:02:34 PM »
Cardiel obviously gets nearly al of the Huffer graphics, does anyone know if he ever rode the shape pre-accident? Maybe it’s just his go-to now?

hobochimp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2022, 04:05:41 PM »
I saw Ronnie Sandoval riding what looked like a huffer but with the gonz sweatpants graphic on it at the PStone cup. Anyone know if I’m just tripping or if that really was the huffer shape? It didn’t look like the regular gonz swepants shape

Frank and Fred

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2022, 04:41:42 PM »
Damn I hope you're right.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2022, 05:22:04 PM »
Robbie and Ronnie both skate a huffer in this part. Starts at 12:12.
https://youtu.be/aVr7rSa9lGc

Here’s two from the graveyard and two from the stash to balance it out

Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2022, 06:07:00 PM »
Expand Quote
is the AH black widow a mini version of the huffer in terms of board shape?
[close]

?  Black Label Black Widow?  Widow is 9.25, 14.75WB, Rueter and Adams eggs are slightly smaller huffers - huffettes, as it were.

It is easy to confuse it as they are both similar shapes, but the Black Widow was from 2019 along with some other shaped boards and fun things pre pandemic shortages and issues.

Actually a pretty good catalog all round:

https://www.antiheroskateboards.com/summer-2019/

Edit:

This one and yes it looks quite like it, as said in a scaled down version.

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2022, 06:08:51 PM »
any clips of ishod on the huffer?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Fooj

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2022, 07:03:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

?  Black Label Black Widow?  Widow is 9.25, 14.75WB, Rueter and Adams eggs are slightly smaller huffers - huffettes, as it were.
[close]

It is easy to confuse it as they are both similar shapes, but the Black Widow was from 2019 along with some other shaped boards and fun things pre pandemic shortages and issues.

Edit:

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

This shape needs to come back

beandemon

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2022, 07:40:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Edit:

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

Ah. I see. Now I want an Ol’ Yeller.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2022, 09:24:39 PM »
I think one of the pabich boys may be on a huffer in this vid? Couldn’t tell for sure…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eB29F3bsFxc

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2022, 11:06:58 PM »

Those things were so damn big, but also quite fun (to a point).

One guy I know had one on 215s and for once those trucks actually looked normal on that board, compared to always looking a little big on many other boards.

The green giant is much more "big board normal" if there is such a thing, as well as still being made and available in shops, so if you were after something like that, the green giant might be easier to get hold of, as well as fun for everything.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2022, 12:31:57 AM »
I stared at that black Cardiel Huffer at my shop yesterday for 10 minutes because of this thread. Looks great but the WB makes me nervous

I used to be in the same boat as you, only skated up to 14.5 until I got the Huffer. Someone in the egg thread posted that for some reason the wb just works and I can definitely agree with that. Huffer on 159s feels like the best of both worlds to me, it feels slim enough to flip but wide enough to feel comfortable on transition and during grinds. Not trying to shill for Antihero but if you got the money laying around I could definitely recommend you to try one even if the long wheelbase seems clunky.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2022, 05:48:28 AM »
one of my favorite boards ever. the graphic had a texture to it like the surface of a cooler

169s and 52mm classic f4s

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2022, 05:50:45 AM »
This is why I love/hate slap. This hype train has me thinking about stopping by the shop for the one I was fondling on Friday when what I really want to do is wait for the Transportation Unit drop this week and get a couple of Supertanker shapes.
ok thanks

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2022, 05:54:18 AM »
This is why I love/hate slap. This hype train has me thinking about stopping by the shop for the one I was fondling on Friday when what I really want to do is wait for the Transportation Unit drop this week and get a couple of Supertanker shapes.

For real. The growing hype around this board has me itching to get one. I have about 30 boards to go through first though. :-X

The dimensions sound good to me as it is. Not a fan of the graphics on any of them, maybe that’s why I haven’t had one yet.  :)

beandemon

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2022, 06:16:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

One guy I know had one on 215s and for once those trucks actually looked normal on that board, compared to always looking a little big on many other boards.

The green giant is much more "big board normal" if there is such a thing, as well as still being made and available in shops, so if you were after something like that, the green giant might be easier to get hold of, as well as fun for everything.

Always full of helpful information, brimerino!  I usually have a jumbo setup with 10” trucks in the quiver, so an ol’ Yeller would fit in. I’ve got 3-4 boards in the queue that are the same flavor profile as the green giant, and fully agree with your assessment of “big… fun for everything” - or at least fun for my thing.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2022, 06:23:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For real. The growing hype around this board has me itching to get one. I have about 30 boards to go through first though. :-X

The dimensions sound good to me as it is. Not a fan of the graphics on any of them, maybe that’s why I haven’t had one yet.  :)

Classic eagle huffer.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2022, 06:55:39 AM »
shit's way too long for me in the wb department at 14.75, but looks fun.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2022, 07:55:35 AM »
They're sold out right now, but Sausage Skateboards does a huffer. BBS pressed and all, or at least the ones I had were.

https://sausageskateboards.com/shop/seask8-93-board-r8mem

At one point, Zumiez had them (different graphic) on $39 closeout and I got a stack of them.

also

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Edit:

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

I miss the Brown Bomber. Not to derail things but that was my gateway to the the early 90s shapes that I prefer now.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2022, 08:35:05 AM »
one of my favorite boards ever. the graphic had a texture to it like the surface of a cooler

169s and 52mm classic f4s

Nice setup!

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2022, 09:05:44 AM »
They're sold out right now, but Sausage Skateboards does a huffer. BBS pressed and all, or at least the ones I had were.

At one point, Zumiez had them (different graphic) on $39 closeout and I got a stack of them.

also

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Edit:

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

[close]

I miss the Brown Bomber. Not to derail things but that was my gateway to the the early 90s shapes that I prefer now.

is the brown bomber the same shape as that the baker creation deck had?

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2022, 10:08:16 AM »
Expand Quote

also

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Edit:

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

[close]

[close]

The Baker Creation was almost kind of a couch/loveseat thing with a super short WB and kind of eggy. The Brown Bomber was more like a Polar Surf but with straighter rails.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 500
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2022, 10:54:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

also

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Edit:

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

[close]

[close]

[close]

The Baker Creation was almost kind of a couch/loveseat thing with a super short WB and kind of eggy. The Brown Bomber was more like a Polar Surf but with straighter rails.

ahh i definitely see it now, ty!

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2022, 11:32:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've got an ol' yeller for a cruiser. ACE 66 classics, acid soft wheels, and a rail. Its a weird, weird board to ride. Super easy slappy set up though. I traded for the deck thinking it was a beach bum
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind