Author Topic: Details about the FC E-9 Mod  (Read 1233 times)

depresseddingo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Details about the FC E-9 Mod
« on: July 26, 2022, 02:06:09 AM »
Hello Guys,

I got me a nice Nikon FC E-9, took me a good while to find one but people seem to really like it, especially when it is modded, so I wanted to give it a try.

Now I am trying to collect as many information about the mod as possible, since I really don't want to fuck up that nice piece of glass.
It is kinda hard to find good info tho.

So if someone can give a hint of what tools work best and how to do it step by step, that would be amazing.

Cya

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
Re: Details about the FC E-9 Mod
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2022, 05:55:25 AM »
I've done this with my friend 10+ years ago but if I remember correctly, we just used a hacksaw to cut the long neck down and then used JB Weld to secure a glass-less UV filter to the back for threads.

doyle

• Rep: 212
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 08:17:44 AM »
Yeah I did this 15 years ago as well and the only difference is that I think I unscrewed the front of the lens to take out the glass inside before sawing just to be safe.

I think now I wouldn't have done the mod though, basically trading a bit of chromatic aberration on the vignetting for some weird softness on the edges (although I could've fucked something up, who knows).

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 49
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 02:54:37 PM »
anyone ever put it on an hpx? ive seen this vid and it looks really close to an xtreme for the price, but not sure how it'd look on a 72mm camera.

vig doesnt look nearly as good on this cam

does the hacksaw to the lens make the vig sharper? since the lens elements are closer to the camera.
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans

green

• Rep: 12
    • ig avatar image
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2022, 04:42:53 AM »
the fc-e9 looks goofy but it's optically perfect as-is. works great with the panasonic hc-x1000 and jvc hm150. do not do this dumbass mod, you will not have a sharp image/vignette afterwards.

dipped

• Rep: 2
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 02:19:23 AM »
Has anyone tried this fisheye on the sony ax700? I currently have the opteka, which is fine but i‘m trying to look for something a little wider thats not as expensive as the mk1

depresseddingo

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2022, 03:18:29 AM »
the fc-e9 looks goofy but it's optically perfect as-is. works great with the panasonic hc-x1000 and jvc hm150. do not do this dumbass mod, you will not have a sharp image/vignette afterwards.

Thank's guys!

After all I decided to not try the mod.
Instead I got me some rods and a lens support system, to save the threads from ripping out.
The fisheye really works perfectly with the hm100 and the extra wight from the rod system also helps filming a little more stable with that small camera.

I'm really happy with the setup now.

Thejumpoff

• Rep: 4
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2022, 10:20:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Thank's guys!

After all I decided to not try the mod.
Instead I got me some rods and a lens support system, to save the threads from ripping out.
The fisheye really works perfectly with the hm100 and the extra wight from the rod system also helps filming a little more stable with that small camera.

I'm really happy with the setup now.

Any test footage of this setup? Super curious how it looks.

curb_cut

• Rep: 5
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2023, 09:50:05 AM »
do you have any footy on youtube or ig? i just snagged a hm150 off ebay and will be getting the e9 soon

Jordan Wiens

• Rep: 49
  • @wardenjeans
    • portfolio avatar image
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2023, 10:27:34 AM »
do you have any footy on youtube or ig? i just snagged a hm150 off ebay and will be getting the e9 soon
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114719.msg3780136#msg3780136
youtube.com/wardenjeans
twitch.tv/wardenjeans