Author Topic: Problems with USA skateboarding team  (Read 33751 times)

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
Re: Problems with USA skateboarding team
« Reply #660 on: August 15, 2022, 06:14:56 AM »
my homie spilled coffee all over my grip this weekend by doing some dumb shit and I got pissed.

mj23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #661 on: August 15, 2022, 12:57:23 PM »
i wish max would come back =(

BRINK

• Rep: -961
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #662 on: August 15, 2022, 06:48:59 PM »

A fan of the transphobes huh?

Tough guy got real quiet all of a sudden. One shot. One kill.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #663 on: August 15, 2022, 08:17:03 PM »
fuck yeah dude one shot. one kill. fuckin a

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #664 on: August 15, 2022, 08:25:39 PM »

BRINK

JRF

• Rep: 145
« Reply #666 on: August 16, 2022, 01:00:53 AM »
my homie spilled coffee all over my grip this weekend by doing some dumb shit and I got pissed.

This comment would be a far better topic to discuss on this forum than the main topic of this thread..Can you actually tell it had coffee spilled on it? Is there a stain on the grip tape? The answer to this question is far more intriguing than max’s tweets, brink on defense and skateboarding in the Olympics.
//////////

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
« Reply #667 on: August 16, 2022, 01:34:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This comment would be a far better topic to discuss on this forum than the main topic of this thread..Can you actually tell it had coffee spilled on it? Is there a stain on the grip tape? The answer to this question is far more intriguing than max’s tweets, brink on defense and skateboarding in the Olympics.

As someone who ritually skates with coffee in hand so often I only wear brown pants to work, I feel qualified to answer this one.

If it's mob or grizzly and relatively new you're probably safe. If it's jessup or flypaper or one of the other thinner/greyer brands then there's likely a noticeable stain. Especially if it's aged and dusty. Also can't imagine hot acid water being great for the glue but it won't like insta-peel or anything.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 250
« Reply #668 on: August 16, 2022, 01:53:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It was white linen grip tape :(

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #669 on: August 16, 2022, 05:06:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A fan of the transphobes huh?

Tough guy got real quiet all of a sudden. One shot. One kill.
Are you saying you killed him? I don’t like his politics but that seems a little extreme

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #670 on: August 16, 2022, 05:07:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

As someone who ritually skates with coffee in hand so often I only wear brown pants to work, I feel qualified to answer this one.

If it's mob or grizzly and relatively new you're probably safe. If it's jessup or flypaper or one of the other thinner/greyer brands then there's likely a noticeable stain. Especially if it's aged and dusty. Also can't imagine hot acid water being great for the glue but it won't like insta-peel or anything.

It was Jessup. If you look closely you can see a stain but it's not that bad. I think at that point the coffee had been sitting out for a bit.

It was kinda awkward. My board shot out on a trick and he tried doing that jokey thing people do where they jump on the board and immediately try a kickflip or something. Except he did it with his open coffee and it spilled everywhere. I got pretty pissed in the moment but I could tell he felt pretty terrible about it so that made me feel sorta bad. Even though it was a pretty dumb thing for him to do. A couple days later my grip is still sticking so I guess everything is fine.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #671 on: August 16, 2022, 05:27:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It was Jessup. If you look closely you can see a stain but it's not that bad. I think at that point the coffee had been sitting out for a bit.

It was kinda awkward. My board shot out on a trick and he tried doing that jokey thing people do where they jump on the board and immediately try a kickflip or something. Except he did it with his open coffee and it spilled everywhere. I got pretty pissed in the moment but I could tell he felt pretty terrible about it so that made me feel sorta bad. Even though it was a pretty dumb thing for him to do. A couple days later my grip is still sticking so I guess everything is fine.

I've been there before countless times with coffee and probably beer although those times tend to be a bit more difficult to remember, never affected my skating but psychologically looking down at my feet and always seeing the stain while it lasted, but really the friction of your shoes on ollies and whatnot will wear it off eventually.

Now what I really dislike is that white dust your griptape will spontaneously (but rapidly) collect at skateparks with a certain type of ground (I'd naively assume depending on material and treatment). I feel like that's harder to get off because the grain wants to keep it, and makes your board a bit more slippery. But what really freaks me out is seeing so many people at those parks everyday and realizing damn, is it even remotely safe to breathe that shit?

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #672 on: August 16, 2022, 05:39:37 AM »
It's mainly "classic" dust/earth you could encounter anywhere,
but a small part of it is concrete dust and is pretty bad for your lungs / health

it certainly is a bigger concern on freshly opened concrete skateparks though

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #673 on: August 16, 2022, 06:09:58 AM »
My main skate spot is a sorta dusty DIY with a lot of colorful paint everywhere. So the fact of the matter is, my grip is always gonna look rough even if it's a day old lol.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #674 on: August 16, 2022, 11:06:15 AM »
My main skate spot is a sorta dusty DIY with a lot of colorful paint everywhere. So the fact of the matter is, my grip is always gonna look rough even if it's a day old lol.
I bought a grip tape cleaner, it’s a rubber eraser type brick, I think people primarily use them to clean sandpaper. It does pretty good for getting dust out of my grip. And it’s kinda fun to do before a sesh.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #675 on: August 16, 2022, 04:42:19 PM »
You could be a little kid and ask the local shop to re-grip your board.

I used to charge kids a service fee for that shit. I think it was 8 for the grip and 5 for me un-gripping/re-gripping it.

I accidentally punched myself in the face more than a few times peeling that shit off.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

therealnod

• Rep: 36
  • Brevity is
« Reply #676 on: August 16, 2022, 04:55:24 PM »

I used to charge kids a service fee for that shit. I think it was 8 for the grip and 5 for me un-gripping/re-gripping it.

I accidentally punched myself in the face more than a few times peeling that shit off.
Heat guns are about $15.

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
« Reply #677 on: August 16, 2022, 06:31:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It was Jessup

Thank god, right? Could you imagine if it happened on some straight up garbagio grip like Mob? You’d be like “ah, shit! Someone brinked my damn mob!” Then someone else would be like, “it was brinked already! Check the brand!”

BRINK

« Reply #678 on: August 17, 2022, 06:17:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It was Jessup
[close]

Thank god, right? Could you imagine if it happened on some straight up garbagio grip like Mob? You’d be like “ah, shit! Someone brinked my damn mob!” Then someone else would be like, “it was brinked already! Check the brand!”

You know what’s super funny … I’m actually helping Jessup out a bit right now with their skate program. 😂

TheWineClub

• Rep: 41
« Reply #679 on: August 17, 2022, 02:56:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It was Jessup
[close]

[close]

You know what’s super funny … I’m actually helping Jessup out a bit right now with their skate program. 😂

You’re right, that is funny.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #680 on: August 17, 2022, 03:13:48 PM »
Jessup always sounded western to me. Maybe suggest the leaning cowboy silhouette for a design?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #681 on: August 17, 2022, 04:20:49 PM »
Jessup always sounded western to me. Maybe suggest the leaning cowboy silhouette for a design?

I always associate them with Christianity for some weird reason (the weird reason being their name is an anagram of Jesus P)

JRF

« Reply #682 on: August 17, 2022, 07:02:31 PM »
Thanks guys, I really do appreciate it.. you guys have made this thread far more enjoyable and knowledgeable too. When I get around to getting a board set up I will definitely choose my grip tape brand wisely due to all of the advice that’s you guys have given.. seriously, I’m not being sarcastic when I say that I appreciate the input about spilt coffee on your grip tape
//////////

JRF

« Reply #683 on: August 17, 2022, 07:04:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Getting pissed off in that situation is understandable. but it sounds like you handle that incident like a true gentleman.
//////////

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #684 on: August 17, 2022, 07:09:11 PM »
Thanks guys, I really do appreciate it.. you guys have made this thread far more enjoyable and knowledgeable too. When I get around to getting a board set up I will definitely choose my grip tape brand wisely due to all of the advice that’s you guys have given.. seriously, I’m not being sarcastic when I say that I appreciate the input about spilt coffee on your grip tape

But you would have instantly forgiven him if after voicing your annoyance he said: “grip tape?  More like GRIPE tape!”

JRF

« Reply #685 on: August 18, 2022, 06:22:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

But you would have instantly forgiven him if after voicing your annoyance he said: “grip tape?  More like GRIPE tape!”

Hahaha! I’d gnar if I could!
//////////

JRF

« Reply #686 on: August 21, 2022, 01:55:14 AM »

When I rode for ATM I use to give my friends a complete new set-up, plus some new shoes sometimes to grip 10 of my boards for me at one time, the wood shop that atm had their boards made at at the time didn’t seem like that bad of wood, but the boards wore out super fast and I was skateboarding the most I had ever skated at any other time in my life then, so I could go through a board, sometimes even two in one day. On top of that, I suck at gripping boards, I mean I really suck at it, I think there’s a possibility that I might be the worst this world has to offer when it comes to gripping a board. Anyways, it was a win win situation to offer up a bunch of product for ten or so freshly gripped boards that I could throw in the trunk of my car and be set for a week or two with a stack of boards with decent grip tape jobs for when I would need them. The fact that the boards wore out super quick made my own personal grip tape jobs even worse than what was already god awful in the first place.
//////////

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -64
  • ???
« Reply #687 on: August 27, 2022, 07:19:54 AM »

decent breakdown

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #688 on: August 27, 2022, 08:28:35 AM »

decent breakdown

I thought it was terrible, rage quit the video.   He’s clueless as to how corporate America works, and the worst was when he applauded mimi’s use of grammar in the intro like spell check isnt on most peoples computer

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
« Reply #689 on: August 27, 2022, 08:34:00 AM »
I find it funny Genital Jones is following the lawyer bitch who is further fuckin up the audit

nobody says “rootin tootin” anymore to describe how gas the session was and it makes me sick