Author Topic: Danny Hamaguchi pro for Thank You  (Read 2386 times)

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 562
Danny Hamaguchi pro for Thank You
« on: August 08, 2022, 07:51:04 AM »

cky enthusiast

Re: Danny Hamaguchi pro for Thank You
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 07:57:23 AM »
looking forward to never seeing his pro model anywhere

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 383
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2022, 07:57:55 AM »
hamawhochi?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1067
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2022, 08:04:50 AM »
I like his skating
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Cool Ceith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 633
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2022, 08:26:53 AM »
This is the guy who nollie tre'd a picnic table like 10 years ago… I'd say it's overdue.

And the Tamagotchi graphics are actually pretty clever for Thank You:

Steve Kelly

• Rep: -228
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2022, 08:40:49 AM »
Most overdue pro status of all time?

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 810
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2022, 09:12:23 AM »
Well deserved! Danny is sick.

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2022, 09:44:20 AM »
About damn time, he’s been pro level for a very long time he could have been pro for Chocolate but they have a well documented history of fucking leaving dudes in flow purgatory, oh well he got the co-sign from Daewon and Torey instead of Rick and Mike, good for him.
Hawaii is super stoked, finally the best we have is getting the shine he has always deserved, can’t wait for the pro part to drop, it’s gonna be a doozy.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1153
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2022, 09:51:56 AM »
This is the guy who nollie tre'd a picnic table like 10 years ago… I'd say it's overdue.

surprising the even the gucci graphic works in this case.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2022, 10:02:30 AM »
Might be the first Thank You boards I actually buy. In fact, probably the best graphics they've ever come out with.

Danny deserves this. One of the most underrated/humble skaters today. Should've been pro long ago (thanks chocolate).
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 149
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2022, 10:15:11 AM »
These are actually kinda sick graphics. I think of him as like a Hélas associated skater so this feels fitting.

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2022, 10:22:03 AM »
hell yeah danny’s the man. he’s always been really cool when i’ve seen him around. just watching him just skate flat a jkwon was always a treat.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2022, 10:25:33 AM »
Might be the first Thank You boards I actually buy. In fact, probably the best graphics they've ever come out with.

Danny deserves this. One of the most underrated/humble skaters today. Should've been pro long ago (thanks chocolate).

These aren’t too shabby:

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

Sightunseen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2022, 10:31:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

These aren’t too shabby:

Nah these are bad g.

Congrats to Danny , can’t believe they didn’t say AF tho
personally I can only hope to be remembered in a slap post three years after my death, with my name spelled wrong

showbobs

• Rep: -1
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2022, 04:57:17 PM »

came here to talk about this nollie tre.

yeahisaidit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2022, 05:47:27 PM »
He’s sick. His next graphic should be a pair of zip off pants and below the knee it says forbidden 16.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2022, 05:56:14 PM »
Hot Take - Thank You is a fine company led by two legends.

Has skating always been inundated with insufferable hipsters or is this a new thing?
I took a hiatus from 2001 to 2019 and when I came back it's like the entire online skateboarding community despises any company that isn't some overpriced boutique hipster brand with a team of sub-par skaters doing ride-on grinds in high water pants.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1393
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2022, 06:13:29 PM »

Has skating always been inundated with insufferable hipsters or is this a new thing?
I took a hiatus from 2001 to 2019 and when I came back it's like the entire online skateboarding community despises any company that isn't some overpriced boutique hipster brand with a team of sub-par skaters doing ride-on grinds in high water pants.
Some of the antipathy towards Thank You comes from some real tone deaf graphics they were trying to drop as their first run. Mid 00s Enjoi party dude vibes but like Daewon's in his 40s. If they are going for the kid friendly, first board thing, and I think they are, then they were definitely putting out a vibe that a young girl skater is not gonna think is sick. That and there are just so many damn board brands.
unreadable trap logo

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -77
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2022, 06:23:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Some of the antipathy towards Thank You comes from some real tone deaf graphics they were trying to drop as their first run. Mid 00s Enjoi party dude vibes but like Daewon's in his 40s. If they are going for the kid friendly, first board thing, and I think they are, then they were definitely putting out a vibe that a young girl skater is not gonna think is sick. That and there are just so many damn board brands.

I mean, I dunno. I guess that could be it.
But I think it's equally likely Daewon and Tory just genuinely like what they're doing and like the graphics they're putting out. Things don't always have to be subversive or ironic, it could be a marketing ploy, or it could just be couple dudes having fun doing what they love (and getting shit on by snobby kids for it) haha

Edit - To add to that, I mean, look at the graphics from when Daewon was in his prime. It was all wacky slapstick cartoonish graphics (I mean, dude was in the World Industries camp for a great deal of his career).
We all tend to lean on what was popping in our prime whether we acknowledge it or not.

therealnod

• Rep: 36
  • Brevity is
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2022, 06:43:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

These aren’t too shabby:

[close]

Nah these are bad g.

Congrats to Danny , can’t believe they didn’t say AF tho
I'd snag the white or the yellow without hesitation.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 779
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2022, 03:42:07 AM »
can you really call not skating for almost 20 years a hiatus

RhinestoneCowboy

• Rep: -19
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2022, 03:52:50 AM »
Way down yonder on the Hamaguchi it gets hotter than a hoochie coochie

nitro89

• Rep: 88
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2022, 05:17:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

But I think it's equally likely Daewon and Tory just genuinely like what they're doing and like the graphics they're putting out. Things don't always have to be subversive or ironic, it could be a marketing ploy, or it could just be couple dudes having fun doing what they love (and getting shit on by snobby kids for it) haha

Edit - To add to that, I mean, look at the graphics from when Daewon was in his prime. It was all wacky slapstick cartoonish graphics (I mean, dude was in the World Industries camp for a great deal of his career).
We all tend to lean on what was popping in our prime whether we acknowledge it or not.

seems that way to me, all the posh kids whos parents have allowed them to actually skate nowadays as its more mainstream and seen as a sport because of the olympics etc. seem to go toward these kinda brands as i guess it makes them feel more edgy and not as privileged as they really are. well thats how it seems in my local area anyway.

anyone else get this feeling?
"Skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. It owes you wheelbite in the rain" - Jake Phelps"

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 882
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2022, 05:35:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

seems that way to me, all the posh kids whos parents have allowed them to actually skate nowadays as its more mainstream and seen as a sport because of the olympics etc. seem to go toward these kinda brands as i guess it makes them feel more edgy and not as privileged as they really are. well thats how it seems in my local area anyway.

anyone else get this feeling?
Skateboarding was always for the privileged kids. In 99 min wage was like $4.5 an hour but a pair of skate shoes was like $250+, a skateboard $350, even jeans were like $150. (You can adjust these prices for wherever you're from) the most popular brands always had a bit of an edgy image. Just how it is. I guess it has to be that or it would be no image

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 121
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2022, 06:31:31 AM »

Skateboarding was always for the privileged kids. In 99 min wage was like $4.5 an hour but a pair of skate shoes was like $250+, a skateboard $350, even jeans were like $150. (You can adjust these prices for wherever you're from) the most popular brands always had a bit of an edgy image. Just how it is. I guess it has to be that or it would be no image

Are these US prices?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2022, 06:37:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Are these US prices?
Nah those were Aus prices but I'm guessing US was still pretty hard for those trying to get by with little money while trying to skate.

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 121
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2022, 07:13:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Are these US prices?
[close]
Nah those were Aus prices but I'm guessing US was still pretty hard for those trying to get by with little money while trying to skate.

OK cause 350 for a complete seemed a little steep. I bought my first complete for like 100 bucks. Definitely a lot of money for a kid though. Everything's expensive when you have almost no income.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2022, 07:48:28 AM »
gotta say, skating is a relatively cheap hobby as long as you are fine putting up with a soggy deck and fucked shoes.

if you're getting six months out of your shoes and nine months or so out of your deck (and not getting ticketed) it's really not bad compared to most activities. being in a band is way more expensive. i'm sure if you were really into painting and going through supplies quickly, that'd work out more expensive. any sport where being part of the team involves paying coaches is going to be as or more expensive, especially if there's other equipment to buy.

and then there's also the super duper super secret that you can ride blanks and off brand shoes for like 50% of the price and it'll only make about a 5% difference to your skating.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2022, 08:12:01 AM »
gotta say, skating is a relatively cheap hobby as long as you are fine putting up with a soggy deck and fucked shoes.

if you're getting six months out of your shoes and nine months or so out of your deck (and not getting ticketed) it's really not bad compared to most activities. being in a band is way more expensive. i'm sure if you were really into painting and going through supplies quickly, that'd work out more expensive. any sport where being part of the team involves paying coaches is going to be as or more expensive, especially if there's other equipment to buy.

and then there's also the super duper super secret that you can ride blanks and off brand shoes for like 50% of the price and it'll only make about a 5% difference to your skating.
"Relatively" is the most important word. I definatly lived the blank/cheap/second hand gear for a long time but you can also buy a soccer ball for $20 and it will last you for years. You can also play football, volleyball and basketball with it if you need to.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2022, 08:52:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
"Relatively" is the most important word. I definatly lived the blank/cheap/second hand gear for a long time but you can also buy a soccer ball for $20 and it will last you for years. You can also play football, volleyball and basketball with it if you need to.

that's how they reel you in. they'll know you'll grow up loving it. and then boom. once you've got the funds they'll have you spending £60 a time on a replica shirt which they change every fucking season. god forbid you actually want to go and watch a game. that'll cost your immortal soul. chuck in your legs too if you want a pint at halftime. lol.

seriously though, i played football as a kid - as everyone in my locality did, which wasn't particularly ghetto but also wasn't particularly fancy - and it's much more expensive than buying a ball. boots are as bad if not worse than skate shoes. replica kits are stupid expensive. there's registration fees and training subs to pay if you want to join a team. once you're in a team there's the travel cost of away games. if you have any kind of passion for it, that creates pressure to subscribe to sports channels so you can actually watch games (hard to learn about something if you can't actually see it) etc, etc, or go watch games which has a tonne of costs attached even at lower tiers.

i had one season of going to watch my home team who were fourth tier (e.g. nobodies) at the time every other week, and even walking to the stadium and rarely getting a program/food/drink it was still working out fairly expensive.

and that's to watch absolute crap. lol.