Author Topic: how does the Carpet Company have a whole Factory?  (Read 8297 times)

apport

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
Re: how does the Carpet Company have a whole Factory?
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2022, 01:58:28 PM »
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1720-Llewelyn-Ave-Baltimore-MD-21213/2068636250_zpid/

The factory is in ‘The Wire’ filming district. I would be worried about getting robbed but good luck to these guys.
wtf this cost less than my house…suddenly owning a factory seems way more attainable

Yeah, the rust belt of the US is littered with buildings like this which one could buy for next to nothing. Skateboarders I’m St. Louis bought a church for like $1000 and turned it into a skatepark, for example.
that church park in st louis is crazy, literally looks like a thps level

europa1991

• Rep: 60
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2022, 07:14:23 PM »
When prayer becomes your habit, miracles become your lifestyle.

manysnakes

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2022, 08:13:27 PM »
that church park in st louis is crazy, literally looks like a thps level

A THPS level where you can contract mesothelioma or get shot, but yeah it rules.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2022, 08:54:53 PM »
I'm assuming it's like when Bart bought that abandoned factory on 35 Industry Way for $1 at an auction. Only reason that popped into my head is due to this fun house ride I was watching my kids run through over and over tonight at the fair called "Wacky Shack." All the Simpsons nerds on here should get that.
I've used Wacky Shack as an adjective for a couple of decades. In particular, I use it to describe when normal human trucks are too loose for my husky form. Dunno why it clicked in my head like that but it did.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Boog

• Rep: 202
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2022, 08:58:06 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm assuming it's like when Bart bought that abandoned factory on 35 Industry Way for $1 at an auction. Only reason that popped into my head is due to this fun house ride I was watching my kids run through over and over tonight at the fair called "Wacky Shack." All the Simpsons nerds on here should get that.
[close]
I've used Wacky Shack as an adjective for a couple of decades. In particular, I use it to describe when normal human trucks are too loose for my husky form. Dunno why it clicked in my head like that but it did.
Growing up my siblings and I would call each other "wack daddy pimp shack" if we did something wack lol. I still use the term to this day.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 145
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2022, 10:16:05 PM »
Super stoked for them (and a tiny bit jealous). Hope it works all out for them. Owning a factory with a solid production line is a dream come true.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -502
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2022, 10:27:07 PM »
Expand Quote
It’s a factory in Baltimore which is a city that’s been half abandoned since I was a kid 20 years . If you find the right seller, shit they might pay you to take the place. Also generational wealth. Like other dude said. But reality it’s cause baltimores a Shit hole. Rad city but basically east coast Detroit .
[close]

Yeah, the rust belt of the US is littered with buildings like this which one could buy for next to nothing. Skateboarders I’m St. Louis bought a church for like $1000 and turned it into a skatepark, for example.

When I’m bored I browse Zillow for those crazy 45k 5 bedroom houses in the middle of nowhere . I know fixing em up is where the real bulk of the money goes but it’s fun to dream . Maybe one day.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

shitdick22

• Rep: 1
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2022, 10:36:01 PM »

Just gonna leave this here for anyone who’s never seen footage of these dudes as well

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2022, 02:41:13 AM »

Just gonna leave this here for anyone who’s never seen footage of these dudes as well

tq

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 27
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2022, 03:34:35 AM »

Thank you for posting - was already curious and thinking  about searching the web.
Cool part - some nice stuff - and truly habibi brotherhood

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2022, 04:58:35 AM »
Saw some of their stuff in person recently, and I was seriously impressed by the quality.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2022, 05:16:27 AM »
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1720-Llewelyn-Ave-Baltimore-MD-21213/2068636250_zpid/

The factory is in ‘The Wire’ filming district. I would be worried about getting robbed but good luck to these guys.

250k? Jesus, you could buy it in cash or small loans with 10 mates

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2022, 06:20:58 AM »
Ok I just looked up industrial real estate in Baltimore, most of it isn’t as cheap as the listing posted above but there are a ton of warehouses etc in Baltimore for under $2mil, which is still a lot of money but not all that crazy for two investors with years of income from lucrative engineering jobs and cash flow from a (presumably at least modestly) successful shop/brand. There are probably some federal/state/city assistance programs designed to help people open businesses in Baltimore as well since it’s an extremely depressed city.

Be mad at them for having money if you want, doesn’t bother me, in fact I love to resent people with more money than me! But how the fuck do you think any of these companies you like make their products? They get access to capital and they spend it on making shit to sell to us, the consumers. Sorry to break it to you but most of our favorite skate brands are not founded by blue collar salt of the earth types rubbing their nickels together and selling handmade merch out of their trunk.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2022, 09:01:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Both of them were working full time as engineers at NASA for years
[close]

Expand Quote
dudes are both extremely bright and smart with money and I believe own and rent out some other property in the city so props to them.
[close]

So Carpet Co. is a neoliberal fairytale and buying a deck from them is supporting finance bro-landlords. Hellride.

did you read NASA as 'NSA' or do you think space is a neoliberal fairtale?

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2022, 09:15:09 AM »
Come join us in Baltimore for cheap real estate.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Lucky_Basek

• Rep: 55
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2022, 02:11:08 PM »
Ok I just looked up industrial real estate in Baltimore, most of it isn’t as cheap as the listing posted above but there are a ton of warehouses etc in Baltimore for under $2mil, which is still a lot of money but not all that crazy for two investors with years of income from lucrative engineering jobs and cash flow from a (presumably at least modestly) successful shop/brand. There are probably some federal/state/city assistance programs designed to help people open businesses in Baltimore as well since it’s an extremely depressed city.

Be mad at them for having money if you want, doesn’t bother me, in fact I love to resent people with more money than me! But how the fuck do you think any of these companies you like make their products? They get access to capital and they spend it on making shit to sell to us, the consumers. Sorry to break it to you but most of our favorite skate brands are not founded by blue collar salt of the earth types rubbing their nickels together and selling handmade merch out of their trunk.

Exactly. Also, pretty amazing they are manufacturing at least some of their product in the US and not outsourcing it. Ideally they could help other brands who want to do the same.

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 289
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2022, 03:43:54 PM »

Oh Palace5ive. You were...something...

Will echo how good the quality of the garments are. if you are in the market for a winter hoodie, look no further. The fit is great, it's HEAVY, and the knit is tight. really good stuff

Alex4rmNYC

• Rep: -25
  • SHEEEESH
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2022, 05:03:19 PM »
Generational wealth? It was 250k….90% of homes cost more than that. Maybe they’re just smart and seized an opportunity.

Congrats on them! Sick to see it.
You're not locked in a backtail unless you see the slidemarks go under your wheels

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2022, 11:57:11 PM »
hmm what's the word on the landlord accusations?... that'd be pretty whack...

"More than fifty percent of Baltimore renters live in housing they cannot afford and 33% are spending more than half of their income on housing." https://journeyhomebaltimore.org/
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2022, 01:42:33 AM »
They stopped making gear and are strictly in carpet production now, as per their name. It's widely known you need a factory for that scale of operation.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2022, 06:58:33 AM »
carpet company x empire today collab soon

zahed

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -25
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2022, 07:25:32 AM »
Carpet rules. I saw the star from the Amtrak too.

Baltimore is underrated. The NE corridor between NYC and Richmond is the best skate scene in the US. Don't @ me.

IpathCats

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2022, 12:54:02 PM »

Baltimore is underrated. The NE corridor between NYC and Richmond is the best skate scene in the US. Don't @ me.

ayyyy thats me. Idk If i agree with that or not, but i appreciate the sentiment. I'm not saying there arent lots of good skaters, but I feel like there isnt nearly as much talent in this area though. Comparatively, NY and florida are east coast hotbeds for rippers.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2022, 01:19:30 PM »
carpet company x empire today collab soon
Great, now that jingle is stuck in my head  >:(

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2022, 07:28:49 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

ayyyy thats me. Idk If i agree with that or not, but i appreciate the sentiment. I'm not saying there arent lots of good skaters, but I feel like there isnt nearly as much talent in this area though. Comparatively, NY and florida are east coast hotbeds for rippers.

DC is ripping still and Philly is still a bubble. As for Baltimore I wouldn't agree. There is a solid scene, spots leave something to be desired. And the only real meetup/hangout type spots are lyric and social security. It's cool seeing the younger kids I knew from Baltimore ripping though. Yoon is killing it, baby powder doing big things. The carpet dudes and their crew were more laurel guys but it's still cool to see  them come in to Baltimore and do their thing and I always try to grab a piece or 2 each season
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

sacking rails

• Rep: -223
  • sacking rails
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2022, 09:40:16 AM »
because they have it

Lethatefillyourheart

• Rep: 12
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2022, 10:42:02 AM »
They own a few properties in Baltimore and DC. One property is co owned with the lead singer of turnstile. Warehouse was put together with lots of hard work from friends and family.

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2022, 01:14:27 PM »
punk landlords. gotta love a good oxymoron
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

George Vallore

• Rep: 15
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2022, 02:33:38 PM »

They're obviously big fans of early Tool albums.

Skate tool looks like a pee-pee. Classy.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2022, 02:45:10 PM »

I don't know why you think everyone is mad about this... I think they were just confused about the economics for such a small company. Also, I don't think most brands are manufacturing their own product here in the states if that's what you're insinuating though kudos to Carpet for managing to make their own stuff themselves if that's what they're doing.