Author Topic: Are there 2 models of Etnies Joslin out right now?  (Read 1650 times)

Bold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 18
Are there 2 models of Etnies Joslin out right now?
« on: September 11, 2022, 03:24:46 PM »
https://etnies.com/collections/sale/products/joslin-black-black-gum

https://etnies.com/collections/sale/products/josl1n-black-gum

Saw these on the sale page and other than the collar I'm wondering what the differences might be between them.
Who is our Etnies expert around here?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 04:37:13 PM by Bold »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Are there 2 models of Etnies Joslin out right now?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 04:00:22 PM »
I was wondering why I was having a hard time sleeping…..

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 04:14:55 PM »
you could probably find your answer here
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=120185.1620

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 04:33:24 PM »
They look the same what am I missing?

Bold

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 05:34:17 PM »
The padded collar on one looks to go all the way around the ankle on one, but not the other.
Makes me wonder what else is different.

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 264
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2022, 07:05:34 PM »
Is there a Julia Joslin pro model?
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2022, 03:57:59 AM »
The new ones have an upgraded tong for more breathability called System Flo2.
And I think the optional hidden lacing system is also new.
Can't remember my old ones had this.
The new ones are a tiny bit slimmer too. At least I think so.
They called the new ones Josl1n with the 1 as the i
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 04:13:05 AM »
Some also have the og etnies logo while others have the claw mark logo. The plot thickens.

IpathCats

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2022, 10:28:37 AM »
Judging by size availability, im gonna go out on a limb and say they made some minor adjustments to the original and didnt feel like it warranted a new model.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2022, 08:32:34 PM »
Is there a Julia Joslin pro model?

The DC Danny Way

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2022, 08:59:26 PM »
Did they phase out the Joslin 2 already?

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2022, 01:27:07 AM »

Looks like it , side note they’re fucking wild with that pricing . $40 price hikes on the maranas and joslins? I could get maybe $10 but jeez the Maranas been out for a decade I gotta imagine there’s some savings there by now. Only logical reason to me would be that Michelin licensing costing way more now?
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Bold

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2022, 06:10:10 PM »

JOSL 1 N

I never would have noticed the #1 in there if not for you pointing it out. Thank you.

Expand Quote
[close]

Looks like it , side note they’re fucking wild with that pricing . $40 price hikes on the maranas and joslins? I could get maybe $10 but jeez the Maranas been out for a decade I gotta imagine there’s some savings there by now. Only logical reason to me would be that Michelin licensing costing way more now?

At least right now there is one color way of the new Josl1n that's on sale at a pretty decent price, especially if you sign up a new email address and get the 20% off.  https://etnies.com/collections/sale/products/josl1n-black-gum

The only reason I was even looking at them was the sale. $112 for a skate shoe is insane. I didn't even look at the Emerica KSL until I saw it on sale. I'd rather have the black colorway but half price for white was a deal maker for me. They fit me really well to so that's nice.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 06:19:02 PM by Bold »

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2022, 09:46:14 PM »

Sadly, yes, I really like that model.

When I noticed it gone from the line-up, I hit up the Etnies IG, and the response was:

"Yes. The Grizzly collab one was the last one. The new and improved JOSL1N and the Marana might be a good replacement..."

Regarding the JOSL1N, I asked them what had changed between the Joslin 1 and the Josl1n and they said:

They said: "The JOSL1N has a Flo tongue that is more breathable and less/different stitching on the upper."
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2022, 10:34:09 PM »
I was wondering why I was having a hard time sleeping…..

You are funny j soy sauce
yes

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -479
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2022, 10:53:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

JOSL 1 N

I never would have noticed the #1 in there if not for you pointing it out. Thank you.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

At least right now there is one color way of the new Josl1n that's on sale at a pretty decent price, especially if you sign up a new email address and get the 20% off.  https://etnies.com/collections/sale/products/josl1n-black-gum

The only reason I was even looking at them was the sale. $112 for a skate shoe is insane. I didn't even look at the Emerica KSL until I saw it on sale. I'd rather have the black colorway but half price for white was a deal maker for me. They fit me really well to so that's nice.

Oh,I’ll never give that dude money I just think it’s crazy Etnies is charging $115 for his shoe. Also Amazon has had the first 2 ksl colorways for $50 for a bit now.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2022, 01:43:07 PM »
There seems to be very little talk about these shoes on slap. I could get either the cup or vulc for pretty cheap, can anybody say something good or bad about them? Sizing?
Interested in trying the michelin sole

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2022, 03:09:10 PM »
Sizing for me is same as my Nike size so I would say tts. I skated these and loved them. Exactly what you want a cupsole to be; durable and supportive. The insoles are great and outlast the shoe. The shoes themselves last forever. Does require some patience with break in time. I definitely recommend using the hidden lace loops.

vicious cycle

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2022, 03:23:16 PM »
There seems to be very little talk about these shoes on slap. I could get either the cup or vulc for pretty cheap, can anybody say something good or bad about them? Sizing?
Interested in trying the michelin sole
I can say this.
I had a few pairs of the old Joslin 1 and one pair of the updated model, Josl1n. Both cupsole.
They are pretty similar. I like the new model better because of the hidden lacing option.
They are durable, long lasting and comfy. They need a good while to break in. I always walked in them for a few days before skating. I went through the upper first. The sole is pretty durable. They have a good amount of long lasting grip too. Boardfeeling is kinda okish. I use thick FP Orthopics insoles in all my shoes so maybe with stock insoles it could be a bit better. The stock insoles are fine if you aren't an old fuck like me.
I always went for a black colour and I think they look fine on feet. I'm a 10.5 in Adidas, ES, DC, Emerica, Etnies and New Balance. So TTS for me.
For a good cheap deal I would definitely recommend them . I think it's worth a try because they really last a good while.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2022, 12:59:48 AM »
I skate almost nothing but Soletech cupsoles: Marana, Joslin, Joslin 2, KSL G6, Reynolds G6, Gamma G6, Spanky G6, Silo SC, etc.
Almost all of those cupsoles run 0.5 small, except for KSL/Reynolds/Gamma G6: they're TTS.
All the Michelin etnies run 0.5 small. Some people can get away with TTS in them, but they're not built on a TTS last since a majority of the reviews recommend to go 0.5 up on them.

The Michelin sole on Joslin, Josl1n, and Marana is the absolute best sole on the market. Hands down. It's the perfect blend of grip meets support without sacrificing too much board feel. The Joslin 2 michelin fibrelite sole is also great but it's a little more squishy. Depending on preference, it could be better or worse than the original.

The flick is consistent and the rubber does not wear down quickly. It grabs the board well and doesn't get stuck that easily like some super rubbery vulcs do.

The upper fits well on your foot and is cushioned! Comfortable and form fitting. Not boxy and not narrow choking hazards. But can be a bit stiff at first, so walking to break in is helpful.

STI insole is moderately cushioned and is not thin. Solid stock insole but removable if you want to try FP, Remind, or another insole brand. It needs a substantial insole so the shoe fits correctly, however.

All three Joslin cups and Maranas come with hidden lace loops; just gotta look for em on the inside panel across from the tongue. They've been standard since the first drop in August 2018 and work really well to protect laces!

I highly recommend trying them and you can score some of them on sale right now from Etnies website!

They usually last me months of skating! 2 months minimum with skating 3-5 days a week but I can get 3 to 4 months sometimes
Super Champion Fun Zone

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2022, 07:45:54 AM »
Some also have the og etnies logo while others have the claw mark logo. The plot thickens.

I think that was the Joslin 2, which like other people noted, has been phased out.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2022, 04:52:14 PM »
Thanks guys! Made it sound so good, I got both the cups and vulcs