Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 208559 times)

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1620 on: September 05, 2022, 12:43:04 PM »
As someone who's never had formula fours, will I notice a difference? I'm currently riding a set of girl wheels and before I think I was riding some OJ wheels that were on sale at active a long time ago

I'm not a fan of F4 97a but besides those yeah they're pretty decent. A tier above OJ Elite.

If you like really really hard wheels get Bones 103a, if you like 99-101 get F4.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1621 on: September 05, 2022, 01:39:09 PM »
You cannot lose with 99a F4, which is probably the best selling wheel across skateboarding especially if you're coming from a generic Crailtap wheel.

If you ride em for a while and want:

-Harder then 101 or Bones 103.
-Softer then 97 or Powell Dragons.
-Roll the dice then try something like OJ elites or Acid REM. Not as popular but people love them.
-To smoke your wheels out of a bong then get Satori.

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #1622 on: September 06, 2022, 12:02:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Why do some people retire their trucks when they’ve ground to the axle?
[close]

I’m not bananas about the grind, plus I usually cobble together a set up from old parts….it’s sick giving someone a set up……I’d feel bad giving someone a set of trucks that are to the axel….almost to the axel gives them a chance to finish it off…

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone own a Polar Skate tee? How's the quality on it? Would love to support, but skate tees are notorious for mediocre quality
[close]

Aren’t the T’s quite short and square?

polar clothing in general is of amazing quality, the t-shirts are heavy and well made too.
[close]
[close]

no, not anymore. pretty standard fit, a little boxy but definitely not square and short.

I agree with the standard fit, they have ups and downs with the quality of the t-shirts. Last one I got is fine and thick as Uniqlo U t-shirts.

SlapMcKracken

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #1623 on: September 07, 2022, 12:09:06 AM »
Do skate shoes last longer than other shoes?
For example skate superstars vs average ones.
Average blazers vs skate blazers etc

djoekr

• Rep: 298
« Reply #1624 on: September 07, 2022, 12:52:26 AM »
Does anyone know the song used at around 4.55 in Tor Ström's Is This The Place? I recognize it but I can't seem to find it and it's driving me nuts.

Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #1625 on: September 07, 2022, 01:20:44 AM »
Do skate shoes last longer than other shoes?
For example skate superstars vs average ones.
Average blazers vs skate blazers etc
Not always but usually yes. In the case of blazers the SB usually have better suede or leather and the regular ones have a weird panel in the Ollie area that looks double layered but usually isn't so when you break the stitching you'll get a hole. I've heard some cases of regular Adidas being better than the skate ones but that was a while ago all regular sambas, Stan Smith's and Superstars I've seen lately look like the leather is kinda shitty

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #1626 on: September 07, 2022, 08:52:14 AM »
Does anyone know the song used at around 4.55 in Tor Ström's Is This The Place? I recognize it but I can't seem to find it and it's driving me nuts.

This one?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #1627 on: September 07, 2022, 01:02:50 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This one?

this one is closer to 4:55

but you might be thinking of one of the songs sampling it like danny brown possibly?

djoekr

• Rep: 298
« Reply #1628 on: September 07, 2022, 03:06:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

This one?

[close]

this one is closer to 4:55

but you might be thinking of one of the songs sampling it like danny brown possibly?

You're absolutely right! I was thinking it was a Danny Brown song and I actually looked through XXX and Old before asking here.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

swongolianbbq

• Rep: 44
« Reply #1629 on: September 08, 2022, 12:21:49 PM »
From the converse Australia site

"This provides skaters with responsive heel cushioning and further impact protection. The snappy rebound provided by the Nike Zoom Air bag is also useful for technical heel-based tricks, like heelflips and shove-its."

Amazing

Never knew a heel airbag was a performance booster for heelflips and shuvits

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1630 on: September 08, 2022, 06:49:35 PM »

"This provides skaters with responsive heel cushioning and further impact protection. The snappy rebound provided by the Nike Zoom Air bag is also useful for technical heel-based tricks, like heelflips and shove-its."

Amazing

Ha yeah wow, I wonder who came up with that.  Someone who has never actually done a heelflip or shovit in their life?

Well at least now you know the secret!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 177
« Reply #1631 on: September 08, 2022, 08:42:54 PM »

Amazing

The cats outta the bag now mate, Neen been hiding his secret Nike zoom airbag for yrs now

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #1632 on: September 09, 2022, 06:29:53 AM »
Does anyone have sizing suggestions for the Emerica slip ons? The slip cup preferably.
I've worn the new puig shoe and GT blazers recently both size 12 and they fit well. Maybe a tiny bit loose on the nike's. Just curious if I should stick with 12 or go for 11.5. I don't have anywhere to try them on locally.

@EmericaTM Any feedback from other people who have switched over on sizing?

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 458
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1633 on: September 09, 2022, 07:07:32 AM »
Does anyone have sizing suggestions for the Emerica slip ons? The slip cup preferably.
I've worn the new puig shoe and GT blazers recently both size 12 and they fit well. Maybe a tiny bit loose on the nike's. Just curious if I should stick with 12 or go for 11.5. I don't have anywhere to try them on locally.

I’m an 11 in most shoes but the slip-cup was a little loose for me in my usual size.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #1634 on: September 09, 2022, 11:52:30 AM »

I’m a 12 and went TTS and it’s loosened up some since skating it a bit. I don’t wanna tell you the wrong thing but I think if you like shoes a little lose tts be fine if you want them to be tighter. Size down to 11.5 and once it’s broken in may fit how you like.

Paperclip20

« Reply #1635 on: September 09, 2022, 12:29:08 PM »
Thanks guys, seems like the safe move is to grab the 11.5 to try first.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #1636 on: September 09, 2022, 12:41:03 PM »
How different are Indy hollow forged vs Ace AF1s in terms of pop feel, stability and pinch?

Paperclip20

« Reply #1637 on: September 09, 2022, 12:46:17 PM »
How different are Indy hollow forged vs Ace AF1s in terms of pop feel, stability and pinch?

I wouldn't call it a huge difference. I feel like the indy's have a slightly stiffer pop feel but otherwise a pretty similar turn and overall feel. The ace might be a bit less stable

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1638 on: September 09, 2022, 01:05:46 PM »
One is "the best" and the other is "the rest".

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #1639 on: September 09, 2022, 01:07:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I wouldn't call it a huge difference. I feel like the indy's have a slightly stiffer pop feel but otherwise a pretty similar turn and overall feel. The ace might be a bit less stable

Thanks. Yeah I have a setup with ace af1s and a setup with venture cast plate and titanium hangers. I like both in their own way and can skate either fine, both have pros n cons. Makes me realise something in between the two would probably be a good happy medium for me, and sounds like that might be indy hollow forged

Paperclip20

« Reply #1640 on: September 09, 2022, 11:00:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks. Yeah I have a setup with ace af1s and a setup with venture cast plate and titanium hangers. I like both in their own way and can skate either fine, both have pros n cons. Makes me realise something in between the two would probably be a good happy medium for me, and sounds like that might be indy hollow forged

Honestly that's exactly me except standard cast ventures. Was going between those and ace then ended up settling with Indy

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #1641 on: September 10, 2022, 06:56:04 AM »

I’m your size and the emerica slips are a little too loose for me. Length is pretty good, I feel like sizing down would be too short. If you have a wider or higher volume foot, you’ll probably be ok.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1642 on: September 11, 2022, 12:57:27 AM »
Expand Quote

I’m your size and the emerica slips are a little too loose for me. Length is pretty good, I feel like sizing down would be too short. If you have a wider or higher volume foot, you’ll probably be ok.

[close]
I had the vulc Wino slips and I went TTS.
Speaking of sizing how's Crockett high ones?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #1643 on: September 11, 2022, 01:57:48 AM »
I have Wino Slip Cup and I went TTS. They fit well in TTS but I can see them loosening up enough over time where maybe going 0.5 down would work.

I personally suggest folks go TTS and combine with either thicker socks and/or swapping the insole with something a little thicker to accommodate any stretching over time.

The Winoa with an insole swap both optimizes the comfort, but also the fit (if needed), and the support. I run STI insoles in my Gamma G6 and it's perfect, so Wino would also be solid!
Super Champion Fun Zone

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #1644 on: September 11, 2022, 09:06:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
Crockett Highs run TTS and are my favorite skate shoes ever. I have five pairs and I’m finishing up skating my second pair. Great if you like thin cupsoles.

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #1645 on: September 11, 2022, 10:45:43 AM »
The nike vulcs, can i remove the insole in these? Feels glued down like OG vans
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #1646 on: September 11, 2022, 12:13:40 PM »
Any tips for a stuck nut on a hardware bolt? The nut will not move in either direction and the screwdriver is starting to strip the bolt when I try to turn it.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 977
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1647 on: September 11, 2022, 02:50:12 PM »
Any tips for a stuck nut on a hardware bolt? The nut will not move in either direction and the screwdriver is starting to strip the bolt when I try to turn it.

Cut it off. Bolt cutters, handsaw, sawzall, etc
fuck you bama

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #1648 on: September 11, 2022, 06:46:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Cut it off. Bolt cutters, handsaw, sawzall, etc

Yes to those things.

The other option if it is just a single one is undo all the rest first, then use the truck like a lever and twist it up and round a bit which will hold the bolt on an angle to make it easier to try to get the nut off, or worst case scenario, I have almost pulled a messed up bolt through the deck enough to make it way easier to cut it off.  A couple of single stuck bolts like that I was able to twist it enough that the bolt snaps, but I think those deck bolts were cheaper ones on those boards.

Considering the truck is the most valuable thing, breaking the bolt / nut or even damaging the deck is not as important as getting the truck off the board in one piece.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1649 on: September 12, 2022, 12:55:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]
Crockett Highs run TTS and are my favorite skate shoes ever. I have five pairs and I’m finishing up skating my second pair. Great if you like thin cupsoles.
Thanks for that reply. Currently I'm skating the Wayvee (usually I always wear a size 8 but these feel a little tight) and they feel like crap after not even 2 weeks of skating them.
Ordered the Crockett high on 8.5, can't wait to try them.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.