Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 216793 times)

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 274
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1590 on: August 28, 2022, 01:52:40 PM »

I can't believe they actually green lit that graphic...

Oh wait, they're all pretentious chumps at Revive, sooo it actually  checks out

needs more xenu

SwitchBigspinflipBoneless

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #1591 on: August 28, 2022, 02:17:02 PM »
I'm skating some Venture Lights 5.6 Hi's, and recently the front truck keeps coming loose. No matter how much I tighten it it come loose within an hour and have to retighten. Have replaced the nut and same problem.

Anybody know how to fix? And any quick fixes? Want to skate tomorrow but won't be able to get a kingpin cause of bank holiday (have some spare thunders for parts though)

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #1592 on: August 28, 2022, 06:06:10 PM »
I'm skating some Venture Lights 5.6 Hi's, and recently the front truck keeps coming loose. No matter how much I tighten it it come loose within an hour and have to retighten. Have replaced the nut and same problem.

Anybody know how to fix? And any quick fixes? Want to skate tomorrow but won't be able to get a kingpin cause of bank holiday (have some spare thunders for parts though)
Blue loctite. Should be 242.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1593 on: August 29, 2022, 11:19:33 AM »
If changing the nut failed. That could mean your kingpin is loose in the baseplate
You might need a new baseplate

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1594 on: August 29, 2022, 11:42:39 AM »
Expand Quote

I can't believe they actually green lit that graphic...

Oh wait, they're all pretentious chumps at Revive, sooo it actually  checks out
[close]

needs more xenu

If you think Revive is bad just check out Santa Fe skateboards- some random dude that can't tre flip just started a brand and claims to be a 20 year veteran pro AND the graphics are worse than Revive.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #1595 on: August 29, 2022, 09:01:57 PM »
Will there be a new season of Slap's One In A Million?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #1596 on: August 29, 2022, 11:43:27 PM »
Anybody know of boards (preferably bbs) that are a true 32 length, 8.38-8.5, 14.25-14.38 wheelbase. Kicks not too steep, preferably on the mellow side and not too square but not pointy.

The 8.38 krooked mike anderson is pretty nice but a bit too square, and maybe justtt a tad steep for my liking.

Having a longer setup with aces has made me realise I want slightly longer than 31.75-31.8 ish, and a tad lighter pop especially on the nose for my ventures (usually skate the navy eagle shape). Feel like this could maybe help a teeny bit.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1041
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1597 on: August 30, 2022, 02:02:00 AM »
Anybody know of boards (preferably bbs) that are a true 32 length, 8.38-8.5, 14.25-14.38 wheelbase. Kicks not too steep, preferably on the mellow side and not too square but not pointy.

The 8.38 krooked mike anderson is pretty nice but a bit too square, and maybe justtt a tad steep for my liking.

Having a longer setup with aces has made me realise I want slightly longer than 31.75-31.8 ish, and a tad lighter pop especially on the nose for my ventures (usually skate the navy eagle shape). Feel like this could maybe help a teeny bit.

It might be ok or not quite to your liking, but the blue eagle on Ventures was almost comparable to the usual DLX 8.38 with 14.5 wb on Ace trucks when I skated both of those configurations.

There are a lot of boards on that 8.38 shape, from DLX, DGK, Bakerboys, then some from Birdhouse, Element and more.

The 14.5 wb listing might put you off, but the shape works well with trucks like Indy (my preference of setup) and definitely with Ace.

As far as other BBS boards, Passport and generic BBS shaped brands as well as Generator / shop boards are more like 8.38 x 32 with 14.38 wb.

The DLX 8.4 x 32 with 14.25 wb is also a good one with great kicks, almost always now just AH branded, but there is one in the latest catalog that looks quite plain if you are not into the eagle or crazy Grimple graphics.  I think that would suit Venture trucks more, but that is just me.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #1598 on: August 30, 2022, 12:21:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It might be ok or not quite to your liking, but the blue eagle on Ventures was almost comparable to the usual DLX 8.38 with 14.5 wb on Ace trucks when I skated both of those configurations.

There are a lot of boards on that 8.38 shape, from DLX, DGK, Bakerboys, then some from Birdhouse, Element and more.

The 14.5 wb listing might put you off, but the shape works well with trucks like Indy (my preference of setup) and definitely with Ace.

As far as other BBS boards, Passport and generic BBS shaped brands as well as Generator / shop boards are more like 8.38 x 32 with 14.38 wb.

The DLX 8.4 x 32 with 14.25 wb is also a good one with great kicks, almost always now just AH branded, but there is one in the latest catalog that looks quite plain if you are not into the eagle or crazy Grimple graphics.  I think that would suit Venture trucks more, but that is just me.

Word thanks. I still think I skate a little better on my ventures overall, but think I'd benefit from slightly lighter pop especially on the nose end after trying aces. Preserving the same effective wheelbase only does so much.

I've done the 8.4 dlx board and I do like it a little bit more than the navy eagle, but wish it was a tad wider of even slightly longer kicks like the manderson. I have a dlx shaped 8.5 caleb barnett hockey which basically feels like the 8.4 shape just a tad wider which I think will be good.

I used to skate that generic bbs shape 8.38 32 14.38 on ventures, but I think it also suffered the problem where the kicks felt a bit short, also proportionally I think I prefer something a little more "chodey" as opposed to that which looks a little "toothpicky"

Think I'll like this 8.5 caleb barnett hockey, but also interested in trying the 8.5 limosine with the 14.38 wb down the line.

Paul_Glider Skateboards

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1599 on: August 30, 2022, 01:33:21 PM »
Anyone own a Polar Skate tee? How's the quality on it? Would love to support, but skate tees are notorious for mediocre quality

-
We're a board company that specializes in the twin tail shape
www.instagram.com/gliderskateboards
www.gliderskateboards.com

DM us on IG if you're ever interested. We offer Slap Pals a generous discount!

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1600 on: August 30, 2022, 01:50:16 PM »
Anyone own a Polar Skate tee? How's the quality on it? Would love to support, but skate tees are notorious for mediocre quality

I don't have a tee but I just got a crew neck sweater and it's remarkably high quality. Which, to be fair, it was pretty expensive.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1601 on: August 31, 2022, 01:55:09 AM »

they get more and more expensive BUT they are great

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #1602 on: August 31, 2022, 04:54:48 AM »
Are double drilled boards (so you can choose nose and wheelbase length) weaker than regular boards?

Would a symmetrical board with both ends double drilled solve the issues many have with symmetrical boards? You could make the nose longer then when it's getting old swap it around like what people do with a symmetrical board

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #1603 on: August 31, 2022, 05:50:18 AM »
read somewhere on here that the new skate half cabs and skate 92 half cabs fit/ feel slightly different- something along the lines of heel lock being better in the regular skate half cabs and that the 92s feel a little longer even in the same size?

I got some navy blue 92s and they feel a lil longer, but i haven't skated vans in a while- deal was too good to pass up though, ot em for 50€

and if that helps: i am usually a US 7,5 in dunk highs and tiagos/ NB but always went with US 8 in vans before- last pairs were some kyle walkers a few years back and i cannot remember what size i tried crockett highs.....

If anybody can confirm this or give their opinion it'd be appreciated!

manysnakes

« Reply #1604 on: August 31, 2022, 07:52:10 AM »
Are double drilled boards (so you can choose nose and wheelbase length) weaker than regular boards?

Would a symmetrical board with both ends double drilled solve the issues many have with symmetrical boards? You could make the nose longer then when it's getting old swap it around like what people do with a symmetrical board

Every hole you make weakens the material but in the grand scheme of a skateboard deck’s expected lifespan it’s going to be almost completely irrelevant.

This double-drilled deck is a good idea. The skate industry will never make it though.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 796
« Reply #1605 on: August 31, 2022, 08:51:59 AM »

polar clothing in general is of amazing quality, the t-shirts are heavy and well made too.

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1606 on: August 31, 2022, 08:58:25 AM »
read somewhere on here that the new skate half cabs and skate 92 half cabs fit/ feel slightly different- something along the lines of heel lock being better in the regular skate half cabs and that the 92s feel a little longer even in the same size?

I got some navy blue 92s and they feel a lil longer, but i haven't skated vans in a while- deal was too good to pass up though, ot em for 50€

and if that helps: i am usually a US 7,5 in dunk highs and tiagos/ NB but always went with US 8 in vans before- last pairs were some kyle walkers a few years back and i cannot remember what size i tried crockett highs.....

If anybody can confirm this or give their opinion it'd be appreciated!

i had 2 pairs of 92s and 2 pairs of the regular skate half cabs and for me the main difference was that the 92s were wider in the toe. thinking about it they might have been a little longer too but it was definitely less noticeable than the width. as for the heel thing i actually thought that the 92s were better in that area, but it might be because of my foot shape or something. both models skate pretty much the same though.

all of the half cabs i had were size 9s (i wear the same size in dunks fwiw). i definitely would not size down in the 92s, if anything i'd get a larger size in the standard model, but again that's only me and it might be different for you depending on your foot shape.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1607 on: September 02, 2022, 08:57:20 AM »
Anyone tried the Old Bones Therapy insoles?

reckless toboggan

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1608 on: September 02, 2022, 12:56:47 PM »
Have you seen him?

Violator

• Rep: 73
« Reply #1609 on: September 02, 2022, 07:33:43 PM »
Anyone happen to have a download of the Quartersnacks Mindfield Re-edit?  I can't find it anywhere online and it's a hoot to watch  ;D

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1610 on: September 04, 2022, 03:22:27 AM »
Why do some people retire their trucks when they’ve ground to the axle?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1611 on: September 04, 2022, 04:01:13 AM »

These are all I wear now, the Portugal made ones are roomy, soft and really well made.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1612 on: September 04, 2022, 08:34:52 AM »

Cowardice

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #1613 on: September 04, 2022, 08:37:44 AM »

They tend to break rather easily at that point, so you're putting yourself in a lot more danger by riding them.
Basically like skating with the kingpin nut barely on, your hanger could fall off anytime and fuck you up

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1614 on: September 04, 2022, 09:53:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They tend to break rather easily at that point, so you're putting yourself in a lot more danger by riding them.
Basically like skating with the kingpin nut barely on, your hanger could fall off anytime and fuck you up

I’ve only ground one truck in half and I got to the axle fairly easily but grinding the axle down takes like 10 times as much effort as it’s so much harder. I’d say you’re pretty safe for a good while on axeled trucks. Maybe if you jump down huge gaps I could see it being a concern but other than that I don’t get it.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1615 on: September 04, 2022, 12:50:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’ve only ground one truck in half and I got to the axle fairly easily but grinding the axle down takes like 10 times as much effort as it’s so much harder. I’d say you’re pretty safe for a good while on axeled trucks. Maybe if you jump down huge gaps I could see it being a concern but other than that I don’t get it.

I’m halfway through the axle on a pair of Indy’s and I’m
Waiting for them to crack. Holding strong though. I do a dedicated hour slappy session every week just to keep wearing em down

SupremePizza

• Rep: 55
« Reply #1616 on: September 04, 2022, 04:55:53 PM »
As someone who's never had formula fours, will I notice a difference? I'm currently riding a set of girl wheels and before I think I was riding some OJ wheels that were on sale at active a long time ago

manysnakes

« Reply #1617 on: September 04, 2022, 06:46:24 PM »
As someone who's never had formula fours, will I notice a difference? I'm currently riding a set of girl wheels and before I think I was riding some OJ wheels that were on sale at active a long time ago

They are so much vastly better than most other wheels.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1618 on: September 04, 2022, 06:55:54 PM »

I’m not bananas about the grind, plus I usually cobble together a set up from old parts….it’s sick giving someone a set up……I’d feel bad giving someone a set of trucks that are to the axel….almost to the axel gives them a chance to finish it off…

Expand Quote
[close]

Aren’t the T’s quite short and square?

polar clothing in general is of amazing quality, the t-shirts are heavy and well made too.

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1619 on: September 05, 2022, 03:29:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m not bananas about the grind, plus I usually cobble together a set up from old parts….it’s sick giving someone a set up……I’d feel bad giving someone a set of trucks that are to the axel….almost to the axel gives them a chance to finish it off…

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Aren’t the T’s quite short and square?

[close]

no, not anymore. pretty standard fit, a little boxy but definitely not square and short.