Author Topic: questions that don't deserve their own thread  (Read 206377 times)

SupremePizza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 44
Re: questions that don't deserve their own thread
« Reply #1680 on: September 15, 2022, 03:08:11 PM »
Has anyone flown domestically with a board lately? Usually, I just bring it as one of my carry-ons no problem but wanted to check if anyone had any annoying experiences lately. Flying Delta, LA<>Mpls

Flew from Seattle to Detroit Oct 2020 with American Airlines and took my board on no problem. Overhead storage was super full and the flight attendant wasn't too happy about having to move the board around but it was fine. Not sure if much has changed tho since then

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #1681 on: September 15, 2022, 04:31:45 PM »
Has anyone flown domestically with a board lately? Usually, I just bring it as one of my carry-ons no problem but wanted to check if anyone had any annoying experiences lately. Flying Delta, LA<>Mpls

flew down to ca on southwest back in july, overhead bin no issue. same on united to tx and have seen people getting off delta with board in hand. biggest problem i had was the board having to go through xray twice.
from delta's own mouth:
Skateboards are allowed as carry-on baggage and standard carry-on size restrictions apply. In checked baggage, your board must be housed in a bag. Ski and snowboard equipment are allowed as checked baggage.

europa1991

• Rep: 52
« Reply #1682 on: September 15, 2022, 06:09:50 PM »
Had no trouble flying with it on a delta flight, helped tho with storage that I was able to just strap it to my duffel bag.  Honestly if you travel with it a lot it doesn’t hurt to get one of these:
https://www.rvca.com/rvca-skate-50l-large-duffel-bag-iv-194687293401.html

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #1683 on: September 15, 2022, 06:19:37 PM »

I’ve flown fairly recently on Alaska and the only flack I’ve ever received has been from annoying TSA agents. I bought one of those super cheap nylon skateboard bags they have on eBay and I think that helps because everyone at the airport is so accustomed to seeing a bag that it draws significantly less attention than would a naked skateboard.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #1684 on: September 16, 2022, 10:52:12 AM »
I'm on my last pair of the Adidas 3st.004.
Sadly they don't make them anymore.
So what's the next simulator Adidas shoe that's still in production ? Or is there a shoe from a different company that is somehow comparable ? Thanks
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1685 on: September 16, 2022, 08:45:56 PM »
So what's the next simulator Adidas shoe that's still in production ? Or is there a shoe from a different company that is somehow comparable ? Thanks

In terms of feel, I think the Puig (the cupsole, not the indoor/vulc) is most similar to the 004.

chris.

• Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1686 on: September 17, 2022, 04:13:49 AM »

Stumbled across these last night, a few sizes available. https://www.35thave.com/shop/Sale/Shoes/p/Adidas-3ST004-Core-Black-x55626476.htm

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #1687 on: September 17, 2022, 10:48:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Stumbled across these last night, a few sizes available. https://www.35thave.com/shop/Sale/Shoes/p/Adidas-3ST004-Core-Black-x55626476.htm
Thanks man but I'm in the EU and I need a 10.5.
I mean I could buy a pair now in a shop but i was curious, if all of them are gone in a year or so, what's the most similar options that is still in production. I just skate the best in these shoes somehow..
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #1688 on: September 18, 2022, 12:40:21 PM »
How do superstar advs fit compared to the traditional non skate model?

The non skate ones are pretty comfortable and feel good, but the sole in the rear arch/heel area is kinda narrow, makes it feel like my ankle is going to roll easily. The advs ones better in that regard or nah?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1689 on: September 18, 2022, 05:24:35 PM »
How is HLC wood?

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #1690 on: September 19, 2022, 12:34:43 AM »
How do superstar advs fit compared to the traditional non skate model?

The non skate ones are pretty comfortable and feel good, but the sole in the rear arch/heel area is kinda narrow, makes it feel like my ankle is going to roll easily. The advs ones better in that regard or nah?

both shoes use the same sole
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1927
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1691 on: September 19, 2022, 12:53:20 AM »
How is HLC wood?

It's so-so, would rank it below Clutch quality. Doesn't have the stiffness of BBS nor the flex of PS Stix but not as durable. I have friends who swear by Plan B / Jart decks for the shape but say HLC goes soft fast than they would like, probably 5 - 6 weeks x 2 sessions a week. Good value if they were on clearance but not my first choice for wood.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #1692 on: September 19, 2022, 04:12:00 AM »
Expand Quote
How is HLC wood?
[close]

It's so-so, would rank it below Clutch quality. Doesn't have the stiffness of BBS nor the flex of PS Stix but not as durable. I have friends who swear by Plan B / Jart decks for the shape but say HLC goes soft fast than they would like, probably 5 - 6 weeks x 2 sessions a week. Good value if they were on clearance but not my first choice for wood.

definitely better than clutch imo, would be my second choice after bbs, but i haven't skated boards from many north american woodshops. i like hlc more than the china boards i've had too, dwindle and crail, even though these will usually last longer. 
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1693 on: September 19, 2022, 06:03:38 AM »
How is HLC wood?
Kinda heavy and gets soggy rather fast
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #1694 on: September 19, 2022, 09:11:20 AM »
does anyone know what brand of blank hats DLX uses for its brands?  for example the unstructured 5 panels i see for Krooked & Real always have the fit that i love.... anyone know?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1695 on: September 19, 2022, 04:11:14 PM »
does anyone know what brand of blank hats DLX uses for its brands?  for example the unstructured 5 panels i see for Krooked & Real always have the fit that i love.... anyone know?

The DLX caps haven't been on existing blank stock for a while now, maybe over a decade, if I can recall from some info a while back.

They source their own manufacturing for their caps, rather than just getting Yupoong or some other existing brand to put their logo on.

At least that is how they come across, with no other branding and their headwear fits differently to almost every other cap I have tried on.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #1696 on: September 19, 2022, 05:46:21 PM »
Anone know what board Heitor is riding in this? Looks like a Dane 1, but can't tell for sure.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
« Reply #1697 on: September 19, 2022, 06:35:00 PM »
Anone know what board Heitor is riding in this? Looks like a Dane 1, but can't tell for sure.

dane 1 painter graphic if i had to guess?

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 875
  • &#3232;_&#3232;
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #1698 on: September 19, 2022, 08:20:07 PM »
^^^ Yep sure looks like it

Anyone got a rec for good thicker socks, preferably under like $10 or so or multipack, that fit well for bigger feet (size 12)?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1699 on: September 20, 2022, 02:10:14 AM »

Anyone got a rec for good thicker socks, preferably under like $10 or so or multipack, that fit well for bigger feet (size 12)?

I got you homie. https://www.amazon.de/Mat-Vics-Classic-Arbeitssocken-Thermosocken/dp/B07HJDGBBG/ref=pd_cart_rp_sccl_1/261-8336217-2269930?pd_rd_w=I4OFN&content-id=amzn1.sym.79f846b0-b65c-4dc7-9836-7d03ffd1ed9b&pf_rd_p=79f846b0-b65c-4dc7-9836-7d03ffd1ed9b&pf_rd_r=3CA1ZTSYK3AXYM2EM3JJ&pd_rd_wg=uE5Cr&pd_rd_r=8775c15a-94d3-404e-b358-1903592b53bd&pd_rd_i=B07HJDGBBG&psc=1

The site is in German, don't wonder. I swear by these socks, they are a bit thicker, holding up well and don't have seams near the toes. They are like 3,50€ a pair but I can't tell you if the price is the same in the US.

I also have a question. Anyone tried to increase the thickness of shoe insoles? Glue some cardboard under the insole or something else? I would like a little thicker padded forefront area on these NB# insoles from the 440.
IG: @flowterspace

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #1700 on: September 20, 2022, 02:29:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I got you homie. https://www.amazon.de/Mat-Vics-Classic-Arbeitssocken-Thermosocken/dp/B07HJDGBBG/ref=pd_cart_rp_sccl_1/261-8336217-2269930?pd_rd_w=I4OFN&content-id=amzn1.sym.79f846b0-b65c-4dc7-9836-7d03ffd1ed9b&pf_rd_p=79f846b0-b65c-4dc7-9836-7d03ffd1ed9b&pf_rd_r=3CA1ZTSYK3AXYM2EM3JJ&pd_rd_wg=uE5Cr&pd_rd_r=8775c15a-94d3-404e-b358-1903592b53bd&pd_rd_i=B07HJDGBBG&psc=1

The site is in German, don't wonder. I swear by these socks, they are a bit thicker, holding up well and don't have seams near the toes. They are like 3,50€ a pair but I can't tell you if the price is the same in the US.

I also have a question. Anyone tried to increase the thickness of shoe insoles? Glue some cardboard under the insole or something else? I would like a little thicker padded forefront area on these NB# insoles from the 440.
There's an Australian company bonds that makes decent enough socks not too expensive. I wear size 13 and they fit good. (Altho being from aus maybe what I consider thicker is just normal for colder areas)

For insoles there's ortholite which is just like a flat piece of memory foam I've put on-top of other insoles and it usually pretty much molds to the shape of the insole below it/ doesn't feel too weird. Vans halfcab pros for a while came with that old style of strobel board under the insole (that's like a thick piece of cardboard) and I always thought they felt pretty shitty but I guess cardboards pretty cheap so no harm in just trying it.
Edit: just had an idea, if you can get your hands on some leather you could cut it to shape. Years ago i got some of those leather sample books from a furniture store but used it to make little Ollie patches. There's a fair bit of leather in one of those books tho.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1701 on: September 20, 2022, 03:05:37 AM »
Yo thanks @Mean salto
I will experiment a bit with cardboard and leather.
IG: @flowterspace

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 597
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #1702 on: September 20, 2022, 03:18:46 AM »
Expand Quote
How is HLC wood?
[close]

definitely better than clutch imo, would be my second choice after bbs

this
slightly heavier (just like BBS boards imo)
i don't get the soggy comments because from my experience they don't get soggy like ps stix boards do
I sold hundreds of them, skated tens of them and only got positive feedbacks

Lepanto

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1703 on: September 20, 2022, 07:33:44 AM »
Somebody can tell me what wb make ace and thunder trucks has?

Example: the wb of the deck is 14, what would turn useing such trucks on each?
Thanks in advance!

shawngreg

« Reply #1704 on: September 20, 2022, 07:36:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The DLX caps haven't been on existing blank stock for a while now, maybe over a decade, if I can recall from some info a while back.

They source their own manufacturing for their caps, rather than just getting Yupoong or some other existing brand to put their logo on.

At least that is how they come across, with no other branding and their headwear fits differently to almost every other cap I have tried on.

while i appreciate your always knowledgeable responses, this was not what i wanted to hear lol

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1705 on: September 20, 2022, 08:02:38 AM »
Somebody can tell me what wb make ace and thunder trucks has?

Example: the wb of the deck is 14, what would turn useing such trucks on each?
Thanks in advance!

This thread has pretty much everything like that:

WB on your trucks

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=108580.0

In general Ace has a shorter wheelbase (around +2.75 to the existing board wb) while Thunder has one of the longer wheelbases (around +3.25 to the existing wb of the deck).

From the big four, it goes from shortest to longest - Ace (Classic, then AF1) Indy, Thunder, Venture, with forged baseplates extending wb further than standard / team / cast baseplates.

Edit:

A 14" wb deck would make it 16.75 on Ace Classics and 17.25 on Thunder Team editions.  The width of the truck really shouldn't make any difference as they would still have the same angle of kingpin and baseplates, but some people might disagree, depending on their own measurements.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 08:12:04 AM by Mbrimson88 »

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1706 on: September 20, 2022, 08:06:25 AM »
Best deck shape/company for pure street?

I'm going to say TOA.

Traffic Hopps are the streets. No one can deny that.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1707 on: September 20, 2022, 08:08:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

while i appreciate your always knowledgeable responses, this was not what i wanted to hear lol

Yeah for sure!

Sometimes I know it has been good to track down the generic brand / blank manufacturer of whatever I liked and bought dozens of them, such as Gildan tshirts and Yupoong trucker caps, but others have become more mysterious or difficult to get, mainly because nowdays it works out cheaper if they are a bigger brand and can get everything made from their own patterns from somewhere in the world that doesn't cost a lot in production or care about trademarks / having to pay another company or brand for their products.

I would say though, don't give up and have a look at / check out some of the blank manufacturers, even if they are just online, which is where I found quite a few good deals on cheaper products like hats that I have sewn patches on over the years.

In AU, AS Colour has a pretty good range of their own brand blanks, but I often used to look through wholesale uniform manufacturers websites for similar things, many of whom are based in USA and other places round the world.

shawngreg

« Reply #1708 on: September 20, 2022, 09:07:54 AM »
cheers broski, always class

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 576
« Reply #1709 on: September 20, 2022, 07:42:23 PM »
I'm looking to buy some new long sleeve tees since mine are getting pretty ragged. I like the fit Stussy and Polar have, slightly oversized without it looking like you're wearing a dress. Anyone know of any brands that have a similar fit? I'm in my 30s and am pretty short and am trying to strike a balance between comfort and dressing my age. Uniqlo used to be my go to but it seems like they changed the fit on the U line recently.