Author Topic: Tyshawn Thrasher Cover  (Read 24287 times)

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
Re: Tyshawn Thrasher Cover
« Reply #120 on: October 07, 2022, 08:23:34 AM »
Newbie who'll probably get a kooked for this. First off, the trick is INSANE! But does anyone find the angle of his body and board is a little off?  It's a tad diagonal and I think it would be even better if he was fully centered. If that makes sense. I understand he probably came from an angle.  Again, the trick is incredible.

You must do a lot of yoga being able to stretch that far to find a complaint about this

jorge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
« Reply #121 on: October 07, 2022, 08:40:18 AM »
Newbie who'll probably get kooked for this. First off, the trick is INSANE! But does anyone find the angle of his body and board is a little off?  It's a tad diagonal and I think it would be even better if he was fully centered. If that makes sense. I understand he probably came from an angle.  Again, the trick is incredible.
All he does is pop
He's too stiff
He doesn't put out enough footage
His fits suck
He seems like he has an attitude
That nonsense above about angles or some shit

These are the things being said about a man who kickflipped from one subway platform to another.

Also for those who have not been there, there is not a ton of run up and the yellow blind bumps will absolutely take you out. 

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 104
« Reply #122 on: October 07, 2022, 09:03:18 AM »
I-N-S-A-N-E

Tyshawn is the KING OF NEW YORK

I loved is Blessed part someone posted it in this thread and I had to rewatch it... soooo good

Can't wait for his rumoured parts

manysnakes

« Reply #123 on: October 07, 2022, 09:09:16 AM »
“All he does is pop” has gotta be one of the most hilarious complaints about a once in a generation talent.

“All Gretzky does is score!”
“All Jordan does is dunk!”
“All Usain Bolt does is run fast!”

231st Street

• Rep: -212
« Reply #124 on: October 07, 2022, 09:13:30 AM »
For those that are asking if the yellow bumps would take you out-- its scary enough to stand in that strip let alone ollie or kick flip from anywhere near there.  Most of you wouldn't have the guts to even put a board down and skate inside any subway station let alone near the tracks.  Haven't y'all seen the ending of Beat Street?  It is hectic in the NY subways.  Also agreed with comments above re: hating for pop tricks?  What is a non-pop trick?  No comply variations on tic Tok? 

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #125 on: October 07, 2022, 09:16:15 AM »
Best cover in a while.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #126 on: October 07, 2022, 09:19:27 AM »
this deserves a 30 min doc

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 104
« Reply #127 on: October 07, 2022, 09:20:33 AM »
“All he does is pop” has gotta be one of the most hilarious complaints about a once in a generation talent.

“All Gretzky does is score!”
“All Jordan does is dunk!”
“All Usain Bolt does is run fast!”

zahed

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -25
« Reply #128 on: October 07, 2022, 09:27:14 AM »
i cannot stop thinking about this photo. that is so fucking hectic to even think about trying. he has my two favorite thrasher covers of all time.

with him it's hard to think about, but what's next with this dude? he has literally destroyed every big spot in new york. he has a clip at the msg rail somewhere right?

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #129 on: October 07, 2022, 09:29:08 AM »
I like it all bright. It’s different than how Allen Ying shot that ollie photo. This one pops better to my eye.
That's true. They are just different photos from different times. Allen's I think was shot on film hence the slight motion blur. Atiba seems to have shot it with a little wider lens which helps too but the flash now that I can compare the photos definitely adds to the photo. Imagine though if there was a light from the end of the tunnel from a train about to come in. Boy that would be something.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 248
  • often correct
« Reply #130 on: October 07, 2022, 09:40:10 AM »
Expand Quote
I like it all bright. It’s different than how Allen Ying shot that ollie photo. This one pops better to my eye.
[close]
That's true. They are just different photos from different times. Allen's I think was shot on film hence the slight motion blur. Atiba seems to have shot it with a little wider lens which helps too but the flash now that I can compare the photos definitely adds to the photo. Imagine though if there was a light from the end of the tunnel from a train about to come in. Boy that would be something.

i'll give ying's photo the edge because of how well he centered koki in the middle of the tracks. i know that's not possible with a photo of a kickflip that tyshawn definitely caught well past the center of the tracks and it doesn't take away from either feat or photo... just personal preference

side note: i bet allen ying is the only person bummed on this

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 654
« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2022, 09:49:17 AM »
Omg he has too much pop? :'( That’s gotta be really hard for you to take, huh? So sorry.

So much of the criticism directed towards him over the years is thinly (sometimes not so thinly) veiled racism.

Never forget that this man front board slid a moving construction vehicle mid line in NYC traffic.

No one else has it like this.
This sums it up pretty well. Tyshawn is a legend at this point and most of the hate I've seen directed toward him are far reaches and have racist undertones.

This cover is so legitimately fucked up. I cannot comprehend even rolling up to this shit, let alone trying to kickflip it. I hate to compare it to TFunk's China Banks ollie, but I definitely like this photo more.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2022, 10:01:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Newbie who'll probably get a kooked for this. First off, the trick is INSANE! But does anyone find the angle of his body and board is a little off?  It's a tad diagonal and I think it would be even better if he was fully centered. If that makes sense. I understand he probably came from an angle.  Again, the trick is incredible.
[close]

You must do a lot of yoga being able to stretch that far to find a complaint about this

This.

Legendary cover. Everything about it.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -496
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2022, 10:10:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Omg he has too much pop? :'( That’s gotta be really hard for you to take, huh? So sorry.

So much of the criticism directed towards him over the years is thinly (sometimes not so thinly) veiled racism.

Never forget that this man front board slid a moving construction vehicle mid line in NYC traffic.

No one else has it like this.
[close]
This sums it up pretty well. Tyshawn is a legend at this point and most of the hate I've seen directed toward him are far reaches and have racist undertones.

This cover is so legitimately fucked up. I cannot comprehend even rolling up to this shit, let alone trying to kickflip it. I hate to compare it to TFunk's China Banks ollie, but I definitely like this photo more.

My only criticism of him is that his Instagram City lines are often more entertaining than his actual parts and I wish he’d film with someone else to really capture that. Like the other dude said this dude front boarded a moving construction vehicle in mid city traffic. It doesn’t get cooler than that. I want something like that miles silvas adidas commercial of just one long ass line through part of the city. That shit would work infinitely better in nyc than it did in k town .
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
« Reply #134 on: October 07, 2022, 10:10:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
i'll give ying's photo the edge because of how well he centered koki in the middle of the tracks. i know that's not possible with a photo of a kickflip that tyshawn definitely caught well past the center of the tracks and it doesn't take away from either feat or photo... just personal preference

@fongstarr.  I think Allen’s photo is natural light. I don’t see any flashes in there. Some light coming down the tunnel would look awesome.

@ignatius I’m guessing atiba made a conscious choice for a different angle than Allen’s photo.
I’m hoping Allen isn’t bummed. I’ve seen his photo come up a few times now. Kind of gives it another round of life.

Edit to add: I think Allen’s angle is the one- all symmetrical. But that wouldn’t work as a cover. I’m guessing they had cover shot in mind and thus shot it vertical.

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -300
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2022, 10:11:12 AM »
These big pop complaints are beyond stupid.

“Jake Johnson only does wallrides and bump over bars” /s

Just say you don’t like black skaters.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2022, 10:11:53 AM »

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2022, 10:16:57 AM »
i cannot stop thinking about this photo. that is so fucking hectic to even think about trying. he has my two favorite thrasher covers of all time.

with him it's hard to think about, but what's next with this dude? he has literally destroyed every big spot in new york. he has a clip at the msg rail somewhere right?

He was going on repeat missions to MSG when they tore it down. The rail is gone now so Strobeck put out the footage. I think it was kickflip front board.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2022, 10:19:15 AM »
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2022, 10:19:44 AM »
Holy shit. I know they’re the same height but the angle makes it look like he’s popping from low to high.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 248
  • often correct
« Reply #140 on: October 07, 2022, 10:21:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

@fongstarr.  I think Allen’s photo is natural light. I don’t see any flashes in there. Some light coming down the tunnel would look awesome.

@ignatius I’m guessing atiba made a conscious choice for a different angle than Allen’s photo.
I’m hoping Allen isn’t bummed. I’ve seen his photo come up a few times now. Kind of gives it another round of life.

Edit to add: I think Allen’s angle is the one- all symmetrical. But that wouldn’t work as a cover. I’m guessing they had cover shot in mind and thus shot it vertical.
i think it's just necessity: atiba couldn't shoot a symmetrical photo for tyshawn's kickflip because a kickflip would inevitably peak well past the center of the frame. not knocking either of them for that

i mentioned allen being bummed because i seem to remember him getting really defensive in the comments of the quartersnacks post about MNMFTB? some sort of territorialism might have been at play

https://quartersnacks.com/2014/01/the-power-of-marketing/

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2022, 10:26:18 AM »
Leaked footage of Bills angle bawhahahaha

Gonna go watch his blessed part for the 1000th time.

sharkjumper

• Rep: 40
« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2022, 10:32:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
i think it's just necessity: atiba couldn't shoot a symmetrical photo for tyshawn's kickflip because a kickflip would inevitably peak well past the center of the frame. not knocking either of them for that

i mentioned allen being bummed because i seem to remember him getting really defensive in the comments of the quartersnacks post about MNMFTB? some sort of territorialism might have been at play

https://quartersnacks.com/2014/01/the-power-of-marketing/

I’d never seen Allen’s comments on that QS post. Maybe he will be bummed?!

You’re right about the peak moment of the kickflip. Atiba nailed it right over the rail. The more I look, the more I like the shot.

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2022, 10:37:17 AM »
Mfer popped tf out of that

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #144 on: October 07, 2022, 10:38:42 AM »
I wonder if Atiba actually shot this horizontal and cropped it in as a vertical shot. Alex Papke did it for Evan Smith's cover at the Bay Bridge. Atiba uses a Canon R5 and that is 45MP so cropping down still gives you over 20MP for print.

Seems like he shot with the 28-70mm F2 lens and Canon speedlites. Must be nice being sponsored by Canon.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Lin Thizzy

• Rep: 86
« Reply #145 on: October 07, 2022, 10:41:08 AM »
to preface: i did not read thru the previous 5 pages of this thread
but the criticisms i did read were laughable
viewing this as objectviely as possible, this is one of the best thrasher covers of all time
both the trick and the photo deserve nothing but praise in my humble opinion
regardless of opinions tho - this cover is a highlight in the history of skateboarding

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #146 on: October 07, 2022, 02:00:11 PM »
Curious how are any of the criticisms of tyshawn racist? Is the implication around his level of pop having something to do with the racist stereotype of black men being able to jump high? Or is the thought people are holding him to a different standard because he’s black?

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

winecrab

• Rep: -176
« Reply #147 on: October 07, 2022, 02:23:41 PM »
Only criticisms I've read are about his style/fits and his attitude. I don't like supreme and I'm not a fan of his style but he's incredible on a board.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #148 on: October 07, 2022, 02:41:44 PM »
I like the way the giant erect penis on his grip tape is perfectly centered, lol

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #149 on: October 07, 2022, 02:50:46 PM »
totally wild!

for someone who has never been and probably never will get the chance - any locals/people familiar able to give a reasonable estimate on how wide the gap actually is?
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice