Author Topic: Quick questions  (Read 3758 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
Re: Quick questions
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2022, 08:38:34 PM »
what's up with the tiny water bottles they pull out of the cooler things at street league? is there a benefit to tiny water bottles that I'm oblivious to? they don't look to be the product of a sponsor of the event. seems very wasteful, they may as well have cups and fill them as they need them from a water cooler. or drink bottles like a yeti or whatever with your big dumb energy drink sticker on it...
Having full size bottles sitting around the course gives away that everything's only been build to three quarter scale.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -420
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2022, 09:13:18 PM »
Has anybody ever done a cool looking bs boardslide

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2022, 09:21:15 PM »
13:37

15:30
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 09:29:23 PM by Mean salto »

Roy Machine

• Rep: -4
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2022, 01:47:39 AM »

I think the one Rowan did in the rain at the Dime contest was cool

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1108
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2022, 02:07:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Garrett Hill got arrested by the fashion police for wearing pants like this:

[close]

All it takes are some popular skaters to start wearing shit like this or for a brand like Supreme to drop something similar for it to become "cool". Just look at how those neon colored camo pants blew up a few years ago.
[close]

I am with you here. Doesn't take much from the fact that pants like this are highly illegal
[close]
Garrett Hill’s pants would probably have been a huge hit w/ SLAP users of today if only they had been slightly tweaked.
For starters, both legs should’ve been  the same color.
Next they should not have been so tight; in fact, they should’ve been very baggy.
Finally, they prolly ought to have been branded as something reflecting their contemporary-come-retro look: something to the effect of Nordic “Loose Lads.”
Aaand… Voila, there you have it! Garret Hill’s career would still be alive & well (provided the coffee mishap had ALSO never happened) & we would still be wearing those pants in this very day & age.
All of the woulda/shoulda/couldas.

Okay, we could agree he would have looked trill in a pair of Rhythm cut-of cargo pants...
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2022, 04:47:16 AM »
no way lol

Ayanami

• Rep: 55
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2022, 11:26:52 PM »
Does anyone else remember an Ishod Wair part where he skated to a fat Joe song? Could’ve sworn he was only skating around Philly or something at night but I haven’t been able to find this part anywhere
i like the tiny headed bear who says nice stuff to everyone.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2022, 12:19:31 AM »
How do music rights work as far as covers or sound alikes?
Thinking it could be an option for all these parts that disappear they be re uploaded but with some free/cheap versions of the song they were originally released with.

Not a great example because the songs completely different but this is a version I watch regularly since it was first uploaded. Sure it isn't as good as Depeche mode but I get to watch ba and Gino in a part that was otherwise unavailable for years.

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2022, 06:12:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

All it takes are some popular skaters to start wearing shit like this or for a brand like Supreme to drop something similar for it to become "cool". Just look at how those neon colored camo pants blew up a few years ago.
[close]

I am with you here. Doesn't take much from the fact that pants like this are highly illegal

What if you are working as one of the Joker's henchmen?

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 734
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2022, 06:52:35 AM »
Does anyone else remember an Ishod Wair part where he skated to a fat Joe song? Could’ve sworn he was only skating around Philly or something at night but I haven’t been able to find this part anywhere

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 796
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2022, 07:12:10 AM »

12:13

JawnMayir

• Rep: -3
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2022, 10:02:00 AM »
Expand Quote
what's up with the tiny water bottles they pull out of the cooler things at street league? is there a benefit to tiny water bottles that I'm oblivious to? they don't look to be the product of a sponsor of the event. seems very wasteful, they may as well have cups and fill them as they need them from a water cooler. or drink bottles like a yeti or whatever with your big dumb energy drink sticker on it...
[close]
Having full size bottles sitting around the course gives away that everything's only been build to three quarter scale.

Lmao never thought of this. Solid theory.
My guess is cause ppl b irresponsible/entitled with their water bottles consumption.
I've done some event/production work and ppl will open a water bottle sip a few times then don't take obvious step of distinguishing it from the rest, and then need to start a new bottle. At end of day there's a bunch sandbag water bottles.
Peewee bottles still wasteful but ppl are probs more likely to finish em so maybe slightly less wasteful

biaherl

• Rep: 270
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2022, 11:39:46 AM »
Question

What late 90's early y2k video have two skaters dress up like the 80's and skate around Mission Beach? Can't member but I member them saying that it sucked and I was bummed

manysnakes

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2022, 11:55:46 AM »

My lay person understanding is that you can do more or less anything you want with a cover song so long as it doesn’t endorse a commercial product and royalties are properly paid out. I’ve always wondered though about the grey area of skateboarding videos, which are created to promote a product, so a claimant could credibly say that their song is being used as an endorsement. AFAIK it’s never been a tested issue.

In actuality there will be no legal solution to this problem until the US decides to revisit its outdated and obsolete copyright laws, which is never will since US law so heavily favors the owners of intellectual property and these people control the country. Probably better to just mute the song and avoid the copyright strike from YouTube.

Ayanami

• Rep: 55
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2022, 12:56:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Knew I wasn’t crazy, thanks!
i like the tiny headed bear who says nice stuff to everyone.

JawnMayir

• Rep: -3
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2022, 01:43:35 PM »
Thinking it could be an option for all these parts that disappear they be re uploaded but with some free/cheap versions of the song they were originally released with.

Not a great example because the songs completely different but this is a version I watch regularly since it was first uploaded. Sure it isn't as good as Depeche mode but I get to watch ba and Gino in a part that was otherwise unavailable for years.
My guess is this vid has the music swapped since it's not put out by the Nike account. Youtube is pretty on top of copyrighted music so the that account probably didn't fight copyright claim.
That vid must've had relatively big budget for a full-length, considering those weird in between skits. (I was just a lil kid when I got the dvd so highly possible that just didn't get the humor).

Anyway, Nike has the license for the song but that Youtube account doesn't.

Casting my question in the hat here:
Are the Nothing But the Truth skits funny or cool?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2022, 01:56:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
My guess is this vid has the music swapped since it's not put out by the Nike account. Youtube is pretty on top of copyrighted music so the that account probably didn't fight copyright claim.
That vid must've had relatively big budget for a full-length, considering those weird in between skits. (I was just a lil kid when I got the dvd so highly possible that just didn't get the humor).

Anyway, Nike has the license for the song but that Youtube account doesn't.

Casting my question in the hat here:
Are the Nothing But the Truth skits funny or cool?
Yeah soz that was just the first example I could think of of still being able to enjoy a part even with a cheap nothing song. It's def uploaded by some random this was kind of a trend for a bit in the early YouTube days.
I would say the skits are all neither funny nor cool. They weren't at the time and aren't now either. Used to have a version with all the skits cut out and it actually was a decently enjoyable video.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2022, 09:48:59 AM »
This has irked me for a long time

Do pros actually only get royalties for their pro model boards or is it some sort of weighted pooled system like a restaurant tipout? The majority of boards sold are definitely 8-8.5. Do the riders with the outlier 7.6 deck or BA's 8.8s just resign themselves to selling half as many boards as the guys with an 8.25 deck?

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 104
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2022, 09:18:10 AM »
Is it still a thing to put stickers on your board?

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2022, 09:38:41 AM »

When I get a deck from labor I cut up their sticker and rearrange it to say ORAL

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2022, 09:40:58 AM »

Do pros actually only get royalties for their pro model boards or is it some sort of weighted pooled system like a restaurant tipout? The majority of boards sold are definitely 8-8.5. Do the riders with the outlier 7.6 deck or BA's 8.8s just resign themselves to selling half as many boards as the guys with an 8.25 deck?

Can somebody answer this please it’s been bugging me for a while

If I build a little concrete ledge at my rain spot under a bridge in LES the city’s not gonna fuck with it for a while right, it’s across the street from a police station but I never see them

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2022, 12:20:52 PM »

I currently have 14 stickers on the blank deck I'm riding, so for me it is. But I'm an out of touch white guy in his mid 30s who just got back into skating this summer, so it's fair to say I'm simply doing what I did back when I was in the loop. Which was 2005. Come to think about it, it's probably not a thing anymore because I'm still doing it.

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2022, 01:38:56 PM »
what does this mean

work_lurker

• Rep: 97
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2022, 02:36:02 PM »

Jack White made it cool, Garrett made it essential.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

work_lurker

• Rep: 97
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2022, 02:46:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If I build a little concrete ledge at my rain spot under a bridge in LES the city’s not gonna fuck with it for a while right, it’s across the street from a police station but I never see them

The pro's I know get something dismal like $3 a board, if even that. There's usually also a salary, so they have their base pay and then board sales are essentially a "commission check" if you will.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -72
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2022, 02:54:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

To add to this question, pros frequently have models in sizes they clearly do not actually skate. Do they choose the size of their pro models or does the company just slap their name on a random sized deck like "we need a pro model in size 8 so we're just gonna slap your name on this one"?

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2022, 03:01:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The pro's I know get something dismal like $3 a board, if even that. There's usually also a salary, so they have their base pay and then board sales are essentially a "commission check" if you will.

The old expression "Don't quit your day job" rings true I guess

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2022, 03:02:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

job?

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2022, 03:07:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
job?

Yeah, a day job. The thing that most modern pros rely on to make ends meet lol

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2022, 03:09:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
job?
[close]

Yeah, a day job. The thing that most modern pros rely on to make ends meet lol
i dont understand you mean like kris markovichs art?