Author Topic: Bones X-Formula will be 97a and released Spring 2023  (Read 22527 times)

Creachteach

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 120
Re: Bones X-Formula will be 97a and released Spring 2023
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2023, 06:58:11 AM »
Expand Quote
No idea about these wheels but I hope some company comes out with a proper F4 alternative. I love them and I know inflation blah blah blah but paying more than 70 Euros for a set of wheels is just ridicolous.
[close]

Where exactly do you pay more than 70 eur for a set of wheels?

They’re just about 70€ + shipping. Which is insane.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Banned from the room

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2023, 08:33:30 AM »
Does somebody know how these and dragons handle wet ground? Since they rely on vibrations to slide, wet ground shouldn't really change the slide all that much.
Regular 97a wheels probably slide on wet ground anyway, but 93s might not.
Winter wheel?

I almost got runned over day one on 93a dragons because of dew covered blacktop at the bottom turn out of bombing a hill.

I was sliding backside through the entire turn. Then a family of yuppies cut me off and stopped in the intersection.

I started yelling at the Yuppies as I was bearing down on tham at 25 plus.

I had no idea that dragons don't work in the rain. I always bones v2 in the rain.

But yeah look out you.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2023, 05:26:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Does somebody know how these and dragons handle wet ground? Since they rely on vibrations to slide, wet ground shouldn't really change the slide all that much.
Winter wheel?
[close]

I almost got runned over day one on 93a dragons because of dew covered blacktop at the bottom turn out of bombing a hill.

I was sliding backside through the entire turn. Then a family of yuppies cut me off and stopped in the intersection.

I had no idea that dragons don't work in the rain. I always bones v2 in the rain.

But yeah look out you.
Thanks man, I'm glad you're fine.

What are the best wet ground wheels that are kinda skateable?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2023, 07:02:39 AM »
strangely yuppies are one of the biggest demographics of the dragon wheel market......

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2023, 07:33:34 AM »
strangely yuppies are one of the biggest demographics of the dragon wheel market......

I've seen mostly old guys on 'em?

I drank the old guy Kool aid too, but back on F4's now.

Creachteach

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2023, 09:28:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That’s because the guys that manages to get their shit together by their late twenties are considered yuppies per definition by having a job.

Everyone falls into two categories when 30+:
1: fucking yuppies. Has job, wife, kids, minivan/station car, etc.

2: “core skater”. Has white guy dreads and eclectic taste in music, weed prescription for his cataract, and is the best at gatekeeping a toy that has a cult following.

grassblade

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2023, 10:10:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That’s because the guys that manages to get their shit together by their late twenties are considered yuppies per definition by having a job.

2: “core skater”. Has white guy dreads and eclectic taste in music, weed prescription for his cataract, and is the best at gatekeeping a toy that has a cult following.

3: the weird 30+ guy who skates Bones/ Powell wheels

Samsquantch

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2023, 11:21:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I've always considered yuppies to be well off childless people in their 20's (Young Urban Professionals) though I fall squarely into your first category and will defend my mini van to the death. I love my family truckster.

Anyway, veering off topic, so far I've seen two dudes who genuinely rip on Dragons, the rest were full Powell Andy Anderson deck types.

Creachteach

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2023, 04:16:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m in category 1 and 3, so I guess there’s bound to be some crossover. F4 99a slide too much one the ramps I skate 99% of the time. Everyone else’s 99a’s doesn’t, so there’s that. The F4 99a skates like everyone else’s 101a’s. They’re too damn hard for their durometer.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I've always considered yuppies to be well off childless people in their 20's (Young Urban Professionals) though I fall squarely into your first category and will defend my mini van to the death. I love my family truckster.

Anyway, veering off topic, so far I've seen two dudes who genuinely rip on Dragons, the rest were full Powell Andy Anderson deck types.
Aah, man. English is like my 3rd language so the abbreviation has always eluded me. Yeah man, fuck the yuppies. I’m not one anyways.

I’ve a Skoda stationcar and it goes too well with a couple child seats in it. Still room for strollers, shopping bags, windshield wiper fluid, and a couple boards in the boot. Where I’m from, it is all teachers drive. Not too flashy, but still not quite French.

Yeah, category 4 I forgot about.
They’re called: “wispy beard incels”.
Nah I’m just kidding. Bullying is stupid and so is categorising people into boxes.

My original comments was directed at someone who were saying wacky shit.
I don’t know man, sleep deprivation will make a man do weird shit.
If you don’t want to discuss Bones/Powell wheels, why even be here posting?

Samsquantch

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2023, 05:09:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m in category 1 and 3, so I guess there’s bound to be some crossover. F4 99a slide too much one the ramps I skate 99% of the time. Everyone else’s 99a’s doesn’t, so there’s that. The F4 99a skates like everyone else’s 101a’s. They’re too damn hard for their durometer.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Aah, man. English is like my 3rd language so the abbreviation has always eluded me. Yeah man, fuck the yuppies. I’m not one anyways.

I’ve a Skoda stationcar and it goes too well with a couple child seats in it. Still room for strollers, shopping bags, windshield wiper fluid, and a couple boards in the boot. Where I’m from, it is all teachers drive. Not too flashy, but still not quite French.

Yeah, category 4 I forgot about.
They’re called: “wispy beard incels”.
Nah I’m just kidding. Bullying is stupid and so is categorising people into boxes.

My original comments was directed at someone who were saying wacky shit.
I don’t know man, sleep deprivation will make a man do weird shit.
If you don’t want to discuss Bones/Powell wheels, why even be here posting?

Hahaha, yeah, "wispy beard incels", I call 'em neckbeards. You have them over there too eh?

Communication via text is tricky, especially with language differences, I meant that the yuppie stuff was getting off topic, back to wheels. All good my man, no disrespect implied or intended.

One thing I do really like with Powell/Bones are the shapes. While I really like my conical full spits, I really dig the Bones V6 shape. Almost like a radial/conical hybrid. Radial shapes were my jam in the late 90's.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2023, 05:50:18 PM »
Yeah I was just envisioning some upwardly mobile dad saying ‘watch where you’re going’.’

‘Man…You almost killed me….’

‘Sorry….so how are you liking those dragons?’

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
  • sup dog
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2023, 06:10:06 PM »
I want X97 in V1 shape… without the gold Dawg Chain graphics.

I too am also a 41 year old with three kids and have a minivan.  And skate the bones because it maybe possibly saves my knees and back by 10% more than STF/SPFs and even the 99a F4’s

100% more stoke, brah.

burner

• Rep: 94
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2023, 07:38:41 AM »
Yeah I was just envisioning some upwardly mobile dad saying ‘watch where you’re going’.’

‘Man…You almost killed me….’

‘Sorry….so how are you liking those dragons?’

Comedy gold. It's funny because it's true \_(ツ)_/¯

Banned from the room

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2023, 09:02:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Winter wheel?
[close]

But yeah look out you.
[close]

These right here. Would be sick in the wet.

Og 80s Powell formula is all thats needed.

The dragons can't touch this wheel. I just set them up for the night. Got me thinking. Is it like illegal to make the old formulas or something?

These shits slide and bark nice and loud too  Rolls over anything.

I highly recommend

Probably get some in 97a on ebay? 97a was the hardest they made back then I think. That would be the best. I'd look for the freestyle bones. Those are the best ones.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2023, 09:56:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Winter wheel?
[close]

But yeah look out you.
[close]

[close]

The dragons can't touch this wheel. I just set them up for the night. Got me thinking. Is it like illegal to make the old formulas or something?

I highly recommend

Probably get some in 97a on ebay? 97a was the hardest they made back then I think. That would be the best. I'd look for the freestyle bones. Those are the best ones.

On the topic of old wheels, most urethane cures and hardens over time, but the good compounds really take off in terms of how they skate 20 to 30 years on from when they first came out.

That is one of the take aways from Bones / Powell in that they have made exceptionally good products over the years (with some hiccups along the way, I know) and those older formula wheels that were a little softer really do skate so well nowdays, as they firm up a bit and end up feeling like grippy versions of current duro wheels, even though they were 90, 93, 95, 97 duro when poured.

As to the new Dragons and also the X Formula wheels, I won't be buying them for myself any time soon but I have tried other setups with them on and they sure do skate well for their intended purpose, either slippery ramps or new finished skateparks, as well as being fun to roll around on roads and rougher surfaces too.

Quite a few people I know have the Dragons on and most of them don't want to go back to normal 99 or 101 duro wheels.

Got to ride the X Formula 56 mm V6 wide ones the other day and they are just what I would want in size, shape, width, etc for a bowl board skating new slippery parks.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2023, 05:42:08 AM »
Do the new almost white x formula wheels feel the same as the first edition brown ones?
I do not trust bones when they change their wheel color. Please not again...

Banned from the room

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2023, 03:11:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Winter wheel?
[close]

But yeah look out you.
[close]

[close]

I highly recommend

[close]

On the topic of old wheels, most urethane cures and hardens over time, but the good compounds really take off in terms of how they skate 20 to 30 years on from when they first came out.

That is one of the take aways from Bones / Powell in that they have made exceptionally good products over the years (with some hiccups along the way, I know) and those older formula wheels that were a little softer really do skate so well nowdays, as they firm up a bit and end up feeling like grippy versions of current duro wheels, even though they were 90, 93, 95, 97 duro when poured.

As to the new Dragons and also the X Formula wheels, I won't be buying them for myself any time soon but I have tried other setups with them on and they sure do skate well for their intended purpose, either slippery ramps or new finished skateparks, as well as being fun to roll around on roads and rougher surfaces too.

Quite a few people I know have the Dragons on and most of them don't want to go back to normal 99 or 101 duro wheels.

Got to ride the X Formula 56 mm V6 wide ones the other day and they are just what I would want in size, shape, width, etc for a bowl board skating new slippery parks.

That's good to know. I might keep hunting down 80s wheels

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2023, 03:29:07 PM »
Do the new almost white x formula wheels feel the same as the first edition brown ones?
I do not trust bones when they change their wheel color. Please not again...

Yeah, with you on them bones wheel color trust issues...

Where are you seeing these? I usually chalk it up to lighting (why spits sometimes look white potato at times).

I'm waiting for those 99a V1s to drop.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2023, 09:13:27 PM »
Been riding the x97s on my slappy board for a little while now, basically only riding in asphalt parking lots. Here are some of my thoughts, especially as a comparison to Spitfire f4 99s

If the asphalt is medium grit, eg not crusty but not brand new, they work great. Limited slip when carving but they slide when you want. If the asphalt is brand new and super smooth, they are way too slippery.

I'm not doing a tone of long, fast powerslides, but I do a lot of reverts out of slappies and they haven't flat spotted yet.

They're not very fast. Feels like it takes a bit more effort to get up to speed than it does with the spitfires. They also feel heavier.

I got 56s and they don't stop on small pebbles or anything.

I got them for free from a friend who works for Powell so I'm stoked to try them, but I don't think I'd buy them. That being said, they're probably the best bones wheel I've skated in a while. I'd personally still prefer spitfire f4 99s because they just feel like a real wheel while these x97s still have that plastic bones feel.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Daydream

• Rep: 82
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2023, 05:59:05 AM »
Been riding the x97s on my slappy board for a little while now, basically only riding in asphalt parking lots. Here are some of my thoughts, especially as a comparison to Spitfire f4 99s

If the asphalt is medium grit, eg not crusty but not brand new, they work great. Limited slip when carving but they slide when you want. If the asphalt is brand new and super smooth, they are way too slippery.

I'm not doing a tone of long, fast powerslides, but I do a lot of reverts out of slappies and they haven't flat spotted yet.

They're not very fast. Feels like it takes a bit more effort to get up to speed than it does with the spitfires. They also feel heavier.

I got them for free from a friend who works for Powell so I'm stoked to try them, but I don't think I'd buy them. That being said, they're probably the best bones wheel I've skated in a while. I'd personally still prefer spitfire f4 99s because they just feel like a real wheel while these x97s still have that plastic bones feel.
nice recap! Any plans to try dragons for the next set on your slappy?

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2023, 07:56:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not unless I get a free pair  :P  It's kinda bad, whenever I see my Powell friend I'll just subtly drop some lines like 'So what's the deal with dragons vs x formula?' and he'll always say something like 'oh I have a brand new set in the back of my car if you want to try them?' and I'll go 'oh man no way that would be so sick, you serious? only if you're not going to use them...'

Powell literally gives him free shit to hand out to people to try so whatever haha, i've gotten a few pairs of wheels and bearings off him so far. Great dude.

I also asked him if Bones created the X formula to compete with spitfire f4s and he said that they didn't and Bones had been working on it for like 10 years. I don't buy that though.

But yeah, I've definitely been thoroughly converted to Spitfire f4s at this point. Bones would have to bring something out that was both better and cheaper for me to actually ride them seriously again.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 08:05:08 AM by modern life is war »
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Daydream

• Rep: 82
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2023, 08:37:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Not unless I get a free pair  :P  It's kinda bad, whenever I see my Powell friend I'll just subtly drop some lines like 'So what's the deal with dragons vs x formula?' and he'll always say something like 'oh I have a brand new set in the back of my car if you want to try them?' and I'll go 'oh man no way that would be so sick, you serious? only if you're not going to use them...'

Powell literally gives him free shit to hand out to people to try so whatever haha, i've gotten a few pairs of wheels and bearings off him so far. Great dude.

I also asked him if Bones created the X formula to compete with spitfire f4s and he said that they didn't and Bones had been working on it for like 10 years. I don't buy that though.

But yeah, I've definitely been thoroughly converted to Spitfire f4s at this point. Bones would have to bring something out that was both better and cheaper for me to actually ride them seriously again.
hey man I totally get that! Good resource, too. Great dude but taking his 10+ years of development comment with a grain of salt. Haha! You mentioned crust so wasn’t sure if you had a need for something more forgiving like dragons.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2023, 08:48:57 AM »
I actually kinda buy it.  I mentioned it before and I emailed Powell about discontinuing the first run of ditchtech and they responded they were working on something…..this was like 7 years ago.  What they were working on was the dragon formula.  I think when the white STF’s came out, it was formulas they were working on since the early 90’s….. George Powell is an engineer…..he’s never not working on something and with a company that’s been around for like 40 years or something, they’re in no rush to put something like that out…..colorways on some bones brigade re-issues on the other hand……

rikki

• Rep: 334
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2023, 01:49:52 AM »
I know this is a X97 thread, but for what it's worth, I gotta say I f*cking LOVE the Powell Dragons on rough, crusty asphalt. They are fast, my feet aren't vibrating to pieces, they slide awesome, all in all a pretty amazing wheel for rough terrain. The hype is real imo.

Haven't tried them on smooth concrete, though. But then again I know what I like on smooth terrain, so it's really not an issue.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2023, 10:15:40 AM »
https://bones.com/skateboard-wheels/x-formula

The X 99a are coming soon and the purple graphic is kinda nice. I really wonder how these wheels will feel

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1037
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2023, 02:51:04 PM »

The X 99a are coming soon and the purple graphic is kinda nice. I really wonder how these wheels will feel

The purples are nice! Bones wheels been lacking in the graphics (not that I care at all, but some do).

I've been back on STFs (103s) and Ricta 101s because of bluntslides/they come in thin wheel shapes - I'm not confident with the 97s x with that trick (let alone the dragons) as the wheels are just gummy on waxed curbs, it's much more hit or miss; with the stfs/ricta I know I'll slide every time (even if it's too much). It's not a trick I like to gamble with when it comes to sticking (the sliding out I can handle better).

Having ridden the dragons, the +5 in duro to the 97s marginally decreased the handling of rough terrain with very little difference when sliding on slick surfaces.

Pretty sure we all know the feel of a 99a to 101a spit/STF is very different so maybe a +2 bump in that x'thane on the harder end of the duro spectrum could be better?.....not sure how much as I think that formula just doesn't work that way, i.e., you don't gain slide no matter what the duro just how much vibration they absorb from crust.

Samsquantch

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2023, 05:34:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The purples are nice! Bones wheels been lacking in the graphics (not that I care at all, but some do).

I've been back on STFs (103s) and Ricta 101s because of bluntslides/they come in thin wheel shapes - I'm not confident with the 97s x with that trick (let alone the dragons) as the wheels are just gummy on waxed curbs, it's much more hit or miss; with the stfs/ricta I know I'll slide every time (even if it's too much). It's not a trick I like to gamble with when it comes to sticking (the sliding out I can handle better).

Having ridden the dragons, the +5 in duro to the 97s marginally decreased the handling of rough terrain with very little difference when sliding on slick surfaces.

Pretty sure we all know the feel of a 99a to 101a spit/STF is very different so maybe a +2 bump in that x'thane on the harder end of the duro spectrum could be better?.....not sure how much as I think that formula just doesn't work that way, i.e., you don't gain slide no matter what the duro just how much vibration they absorb from crust.

Definitely copping a set of X99 when they hit stores. I like the slide of dragons, X97's and F4's, but I skate mostly park these days and much prefer the feel of a 99a or harder. Something about that clack and clatter that I miss with the dragons and X97's.

Agreed on the slide, the 97's don't slide any better than dragons, they're almost a bit grippier on certain surfaces. They are both really easy to slide though.

What I'd really like is a 56mm V5 shape, but V6 is pretty nice too. Really like Bones shapes.

minilogoflow

• Rep: 90
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2023, 08:10:48 PM »

I wish bones would make some big wide wheels in the x97 formula. I'm one of the few who don't like f4's but I prefer the spitfire shapes. A 60mm V6 is my dream.

logjammin

• Rep: 365
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2023, 08:40:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I wish bones would make some big wide wheels in the x97 formula. I'm one of the few who don't like f4's but I prefer the spitfire shapes. A 60mm V6 is my dream.

Try some Dogtown K9's in their 60mm 97a they are solid

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1075
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2023, 03:58:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I can definitely appreciate the V6 shape, 56 x 36 is a good size wheel, but I don't know if they would make it any bigger, only 54 x 34 and the 56 x 36 sizes shown.

https://bones.com/why/shapes/

The old SPF wheels were great for the big round shapes, of which I still have quite a few.  Not sure if you ever had them or saw them, in particular the P2 and P3 shapes.

The P2 came in 60 x 37 mm and the P3 came in 60 x 40 mm sizes.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.