Author Topic: Bones X-Formula will be 97a and released Spring 2023  (Read 22521 times)

Phao Lo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 56
Re: Bones X-Formula will be 97a and released Spring 2023
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2023, 12:56:48 PM »
Looks like some of the X99 formula wheels are available for purchase on the Bones site.

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2023, 01:26:53 PM »
Looks like some of the X99 formula wheels are available for purchase on the Bones site.
I’d dare say it looks like a full launch.
I honestly thought they would have waited longer since dropping X97. But dropping right at the very cusp of summer is brilliant. 200 IQ play.

4 shapes dropping in 2-4 sizes is very good.
Already the graphics are surpassing X97.

They’re going to ruin me at this rate.
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 125
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2023, 02:37:38 PM »

Grabbed a set plus 15 bucks worth of other stuff I didn't need to "save" myself 7 bucks on shipping cause I'm an adult with priorities

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2023, 03:12:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Grabbed a set plus 15 bucks worth of other stuff I didn't need to "save" myself 7 bucks on shipping cause I'm an adult with priorities

Way to play the angles! What size/shape?

Being in Canada, not going to pay for them twice with shipping and duties, so I guess patience shall be my virtue...

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1036
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2023, 03:57:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Being in Canada, not going to pay for them twice with shipping and duties, so I guess patience shall be my virtue...

US shops should get them next week I'm guessing...CN soon after prolly.

Samsquantch

« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2023, 04:05:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh good, I'll have at least a week to obsessively agonize over a 2mm sizing decision.

Musicaldeath107

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2023, 04:28:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

53mm V5, I usually skate F4 radials so these will def be different.

I should have waited till my local got them in but I'm just too damn impatient.

drinny

• Rep: 21
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2023, 02:19:29 AM »
Anyone already ridden or reviewed the x99?

want to believe they roll like a F497 but feel like a F4101…. on the fence about Bones wheel shapes though

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2023, 02:24:21 AM »

99a eating crust as well? I'm intrigued

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2023, 05:09:52 AM »
Well I’m gonna give. I love the v5 shape. Hope this slides better than other bones but I just need to figure if I want 55 and wear it down or a 54

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2023, 05:29:59 AM »
I want to try these x99s but I wish they'd put it out in the v4 shape which seems closest to the spit classic fulls.  Seems like they only release the v4 in the OG formula which doesn't interest me.  Guess it's not a good seller.

Get hungry on it!

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2023, 05:42:12 AM »
Shit I’m torn between 54mm V6 and 55mm V5.

Creachteach

« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2023, 05:57:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Oh good, I'll have at least a week to obsessively agonize over a 2mm sizing decision.

This had me snorting coffee. I can’t figure out how to give someone +reps, but when I do you’re on my list.
I’ll probably do the same until I decide to get 56 v6.
But then I’d want to get 54s. And then the same in x99s.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2023, 07:37:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This had me snorting coffee. I can’t figure out how to give someone +reps, but when I do you’re on my list.

Once you hit 1000 posts, then you can deal out reps, but until then it will not show up as an option for you.

It is funny isn't it, the size of wheels is now so precise that getting anything a little this way or that can change the whole board, for much better or much worse.

Just to be contrary, I usually prefer bigger wheel widths, once they wear down a few mm.  That said, I used to have two or three boards all much the same, one with the bigger wheels as new (go fast board), one with them worn down a bit (medium / all rounder / everything board) and one with the wheels worn down more than a lot, which was more the small tech setup.

I do like the look of both the V6 56 x 36 for the go fast board and then the 54 x 34 for the medium all rounder, if I was going to get anything from the Bones range.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1036
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2023, 08:51:08 AM »
V1 and V5 are great shapes.

Samsquantch

« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2023, 08:52:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Haha, thanks man, like Mr. Brimson mentioned I think you need 1k posts.

Definitely copping the X99's. I really like the 97's but I'm an anal retentive kook and don't really like how "rubbery" they sound. Dragons even moreso. The "clack" and bark of hard wheels makes me happy.

I skate 90% park, and of that probably 80% transition, so was debating between 54mm or 56mm V6. Just noticed the 55 V5's and I think that's gonna be the move. Skating 56mm F4 Conical full's on an orange eagle with 169's, so dropping a bit of weight should help my ledge game. What there is of it.

My X97's are 54's, plus they have so much more sidecut than the F4's, it's really noticable how much lighter they are. Wheel madness!

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2023, 12:20:24 PM »
Just decided to wait for X99a in V3. Might never happen, but I really want it to.

What do you guys expect the 99s to feel like? I can't imagine them handling crust better than stf 99a, so basically I'm just expecting a stf 99a with a better slide, might be faster as well.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1610
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2023, 04:22:46 PM »
I disagree, I thought the 99 STF was not a good wheel, I think these will be better but not grossly better……

Creachteach

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2023, 12:58:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Once you hit 1000 posts, then you can deal out reps, but until then it will not show up as an option for you.

It is funny isn't it, the size of wheels is now so precise that getting anything a little this way or that can change the whole board, for much better or much worse.

Just to be contrary, I usually prefer bigger wheel widths, once they wear down a few mm.  That said, I used to have two or three boards all much the same, one with the bigger wheels as new (go fast board), one with them worn down a bit (medium / all rounder / everything board) and one with the wheels worn down more than a lot, which was more the small tech setup.

I do like the look of both the V6 56 x 36 for the go fast board and then the 54 x 34 for the medium all rounder, if I was going to get anything from the Bones range.

When I hit 1K, you’re getting some. Count on that.
I’m going for 56 V6, to better get in and out out coping and get speed easier on the mini ramps and quarter pipes.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Definitely copping the X99's. I really like the 97's but I'm an anal retentive kook and don't really like how "rubbery" they sound. Dragons even moreso. The "clack" and bark of hard wheels makes me happy.

I skate 90% park, and of that probably 80% transition, so was debating between 54mm or 56mm V6. Just noticed the 55 V5's and I think that's gonna be the move. Skating 56mm F4 Conical full's on an orange eagle with 169's, so dropping a bit of weight should help my ledge game. What there is of it.

My X97's are 54's, plus they have so much more sidecut than the F4's, it's really noticable how much lighter they are. Wheel madness!

We still on the basically same board :-)

I’m on 99a STF 54 mm V6.
I don’t “need” X99 a lot… yet. Like what’s the deal. A hard wheel that slides…. Like a hard wheel!?

My STFs work okay for my use. Our indoor park is a mix of smooth wood and a mix of rough and smooth concrete. Could use those 2mm though.
Put away my spits because they slide too much. So I don’t need more slide.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2023, 07:07:41 AM »
Just got the 55 mm 97a V5 and this might make or ruin some peoples day depending on personal madness levels:
All of the wheels are exactly 55.7 mm. I'm super hyped, I wished they made them in 56 and now that's basically what they are. All the other measurements are as advertised.
Usually bones makes wheels 0.3 mm larger than advertised, 0.7 seems weird but in this case I love it.

Samsquantch

« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2023, 10:02:28 AM »
Just got the 55 mm 97a V5 and this might make or ruin some peoples day depending on personal madness levels:
All of the wheels are exactly 55.7 mm. I'm super hyped, I wished they made them in 56 and now that's basically what they are. All the other measurements are as advertised.
Usually bones makes wheels 0.3 mm larger than advertised, 0.7 seems weird but in this case I love it.

Cool, 55(.7)mm V5's it is.

Samsquantch

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2023, 10:36:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

When I hit 1K, you’re getting some. Count on that.
I’m going for 56 V6, to better get in and out out coping and get speed easier on the mini ramps and quarter pipes.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

We still on the basically same board :-)

I’m on 99a STF 54 mm V6.
I don’t “need” X99 a lot… yet. Like what’s the deal. A hard wheel that slides…. Like a hard wheel!?

My STFs work okay for my use. Our indoor park is a mix of smooth wood and a mix of rough and smooth concrete. Could use those 2mm though.
Put away my spits because they slide too much. So I don’t need more slide.

Ha! Nice.

I'm on wide-ass Conical full 56mm 99a F4's and find they have loads of grip, even on ultra smooth concrete, but I've never tried them indoor. When I was skating indoor last winter, I was using the X97's and found them weirdly bad for collecting dust. Buddy riding Dragons did not have the same issue. I felt like I was always on the edge of slipping out where he could carve all over the place. The indoor I was going to was a combination of skatelite and painted concrete, so there weren't really any surfaces to wear off the dust that would build up. Once winter sets in I'll try a few different wheels and see what works best there. I'd rather skate a harder wheel but I think dragons might be the move, unless the X99's grip and don't collect dust.

Yep, as a fellow giant, I'm also still loving the orange eagle. Tossed the Ace's and got on 169 Indy forged hollow with ⅛" risers. Much happier, better pop, more responsive, prefer the turn, even slicker grind.

MxsDx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2023, 02:00:23 PM »
The x99 are available at SoCal skate shop.

https://socalskateshop.com/Bones-Skateboard-Wheels-All.html

Samsquantch

« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2023, 07:40:55 AM »

Have you skated them yet?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2023, 08:50:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hell yeah. They're insane. Really grippy in the miniramp I always slipped out in, but amazing slide if you want to powerslide. Super slidey on asphalt. Crooked grinds on ledges and cross locked 5050s on coping work great.

In terms of how smooth they roll, these 55mm 97a roll about as smooth as my girlfriends 52mm 93a dragons. Which is really damn smooth. They feel much faster than dragons though (on not completely fucked up ground)

Samsquantch

« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2023, 09:05:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Hell yeah. They're insane. Really grippy in the miniramp I always slipped out in, but amazing slide if you want to powerslide. Super slidey on asphalt. Crooked grinds on ledges and cross locked 5050s on coping work great.

In terms of how smooth they roll, these 55mm 97a roll about as smooth as my girlfriends 52mm 93a dragons. Which is really damn smooth. They feel much faster than dragons though (on not completely fucked up ground)

Right on! Thank you for that, would gnar if I could.

Any comments on the feel? Anything like F4's? Plasticy like other Bones?

Edit- I'm an idiot and just noticed you got 97a. In my head I thought you were on the new 99a. I have a set of 54mm 97a, and yeah really like them.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 11:54:20 AM by Samsquantch »

Musicaldeath107

« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2023, 07:44:15 PM »
Got my set in the mail today and got em set up. Hope to skate em tomorrow. My flat ground spot has super smooth concrete, east coast asphalt and a little brick bank so should get a good taste for how the perform on a wide set of surfaces.

First impressions in hand... These feel really nice. Bones even in hand always felt plasticity and cheap to me. These don't have that feeling, definitely more F4 esque.  They are definitely whiter than F4s but not quite that bleachy almost blue white you get with Creative or older Bones stuff. 

Full on fucking Slap message board brain worm shit here

Next to some used Acid REMs which have that bright bleachy white

Next to my usual F4 Radials

Definitely whiter than F4s but def feel more natural like em

Musicaldeath107

« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2023, 04:04:55 PM »
Got my set in the mail today and got em set up. Hope to skate em tomorrow. My flat ground spot has super smooth concrete, east coast asphalt and a little brick bank so should get a good taste for how the perform on a wide set of surfaces.

First impressions in hand... These feel really nice. Bones even in hand always felt plasticity and cheap to me. These don't have that feeling, definitely more F4 esque.  They are definitely whiter than F4s but not quite that bleachy almost blue white you get with Creative or older Bones stuff. 

Full on fucking Slap message board brain worm shit here

Next to some used Acid REMs which have that bright bleachy white

Next to my usual F4 Radials

Definitely whiter than F4s but def feel more natural like em

First impressions riding around. The air quality here in Pittsburgh is fucked today so didn't exactly skate too hard but these wheels are great. They don't feel like Bones wheels to me which is a huge compliment.

I took a board with F4 Radials 53mm and X99 53mm V5 to the same spot. Smooth concrete the roll is very close to F4 maybe slightly better. Unscientific test 1 push same starting spot, both on Quantum Atoms. X99 rolled maybe about a foot more on average.

Small hill starting at the same spot on rough asphalt no pushing the X99 went way further like 8 feet further.

Lastly rolling wise on the same street I pushed first on F4s about 100 yards down and back. Immediately hopped on the X99s and went "oh shit" . They didn't make the F4s feel awful or super slow but it was VERY noticable how much more speed I carried and had to push less.

Power slides and reverts on smooth ground ever so slightly stickier than F4s but these are brand new so that could change.

Power slides/reverts on rough ground X99 slid better.

Ollies/flip tricks felt the same besides being lighter because thinner wheels. They bounce every so slightly less on throw downs and landings than F4s

Didn't do much grind/slide wise but I didn't stick on 50/50 on a not very waxed bench.  And a few slappy nose slides on a sticky not waxed at all curb slid a few inches. Both felt the same to me there but that's clearly not a lot of grind/slide testing.

Definitely excited to try these at the DIY and a smooth park here soon. First impressions are stellar F4s have some very serious competition I think.

freidnly guy

• Rep: 18
« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2023, 04:24:17 PM »
First impressions[...]
do they bark at all or do they still have a plasticky feel / sound?

Musicaldeath107

« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2023, 04:29:35 PM »
Expand Quote
First impressions[...]
[close]
do they bark at all or do they still have a plasticky feel / sound?

They bark, don't feel plasticky at all. That's what I meant when I said don't feel like Bones wheels actually should have specified.