Author Topic: New Supreme Full Length "Play Dead"  (Read 63331 times)

aLEXICONdEVIL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: New Supreme Full Length "Play Dead"
« Reply #600 on: December 02, 2022, 04:29:41 AM »
No one had the sense to tell bill "stop scaring the hoes" on any of these sessions?

Murray Hewitt

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #601 on: December 02, 2022, 04:35:05 AM »
I ain’t the target demo for this.

IpathCats

« Reply #602 on: December 02, 2022, 04:48:43 AM »
Fat bills little quips to a couple of the security guards made me cringe.

I'm surprised people aren't all up in arms about tyshawn shooting his board into that security guard, pushing another person, and even the fireworks.

Does he get special treatment for being a prior SOTY or something?

Sick_McCrank_

• Rep: -490
« Reply #603 on: December 02, 2022, 05:07:08 AM »
Got seasick after 1 min. of watching. This filming is nasty. Would be cool if 1 out of 20 tricks was filmed like that but every single clip?
Trendwatch 2022: kooking Sick_McCrank_ everyday for being a kook

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #604 on: December 02, 2022, 05:07:53 AM »

I'm surprised people aren't all up in arms about tyshawn shooting his board into that security guard, pushing another person, and even the fireworks.

Firework stuff is wack, but nothing outrageous. People do that stuff all the time. I don't like it and I think it's corny to put it in a video, but that doesn't change how I view his skating one bit.

I generally highly dislike it if an editor includes clips of boards hitting bystanders or collisions between skaters and pedestrians. That stuff is inevitable if you skate in busy areas, but there's no need to include it in a video. Makes the skater look like an idiot in every single case, especially if it's only a 2 second clip without any context.  This isn't any different, but it's also not especially bad compared to many other instances like this. For example, Nick Boserio literally tried to ride over a security guard in in the Polar vid and nobody really cared that much, so I wouldn't say TJ gets special treatment. Overall it's a regrettable remnant from the times when it was deemed 'cool' and 'tough' to act like dickheads. I hate it every time, but I blame the editor for including such wack footage much more than the skater who had a bad reaction in a stressful moment.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
« Reply #605 on: December 02, 2022, 05:15:04 AM »
Also have to call out Patrick's kickflip back lip shuv out. Went by so fast but I can't wait to see more of that kid
i think we saw enough of him during the interlude where bill made us look at his waistline for several minutes

i keep watching the kadow part. ben and bill really flexed tf out of their comedic chops with this one. it’s like the intro to a sitcom about a punk kid who keeps stumbling into various misadventures and predicaments.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
« Reply #606 on: December 02, 2022, 05:33:41 AM »
So... what's worse, Ty or Bill?

IpathCats

« Reply #607 on: December 02, 2022, 05:35:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Firework stuff is wack, but nothing outrageous. People do that stuff all the time. I don't like it and I think it's corny to put it in a video, but that doesn't change how I view his skating one bit.

I generally highly dislike it if an editor includes clips of boards hitting bystanders or collisions between skaters and pedestrians. That stuff is inevitable if you skate in busy areas, but there's no need to include it in a video. Makes the skater look like an idiot in every single case, especially if it's only a 2 second clip without any context.  This isn't any different, but it's also not especially bad compared to many other instances like this. For example, Nick Boserio literally tried to ride over a security guard in in the Polar vid and nobody really cared that much, so I wouldn't say TJ gets special treatment. Overall it's a regrettable remnant from the times when it was deemed 'cool' and 'tough' to act like dickheads. I hate it every time, but I blame the editor for including such wack footage much more than the skater who had a bad reaction in a stressful moment.

I had only seen people making comments about ben shooting his board in the direction of someone like 20ft away from him, but not anything about TJ actually getting physical with two people. That's why i made that comment. But i didnt read the whole thread either so i could totally be wrong. 

I remember Boserio ollieing next to a guard but i didnt think that was bad at all.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -391
« Reply #608 on: December 02, 2022, 05:45:33 AM »

Well I watched 10 minutes and I'm not going to watch all of it ever. I'll wait for specific YouTube parts at this point.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
« Reply #609 on: December 02, 2022, 05:55:11 AM »
first guy was a buncha SBDs but i'll give him the wallride at evs in syracuse, that shit is crazy

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #610 on: December 02, 2022, 06:03:00 AM »

Ty at least has the decency of butchering footage of skaters I don't care for.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -322
« Reply #611 on: December 02, 2022, 06:10:15 AM »
I do appreciate Bill’s efforts to get that Sully kid laid by asking that chick what she likes about him. Hope he got her number after.

Rowan blessed us with the switch inward heel, we don’t deserve him.

scab

« Reply #612 on: December 02, 2022, 06:22:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I had only seen people making comments about ben shooting his board in the direction of someone like 20ft away from him, but not anything about TJ actually getting physical with two people. That's why i made that comment. But i didnt read the whole thread either so i could totally be wrong. 

I remember Boserio ollieing next to a guard but i didnt think that was bad at all.

00:25, Nick basically plays a game of chicken with the guard, makes contact and then gets mad at him for not moving out of the way. The whole prolonged scene is cringeworthy, but imo it's even worse that Pontus decided to open the video with it. I do have some amount of understanding for skaters who act out in these situations because of the adrenaline rush they experience in the moment. But the editor watches that shit a hundred times and makes a calculated decision to include it in the video. There's just no excuse for that.

I personally find this instance much more egregious than the clip of TJ and the pedestrian bumping into each other, which to me looks just like two people trying and failing to avoid each other. You can argue that he shouldn't try it when there's people walking there, but it's a sidewalk in Manhattan, there's always people. That's probably the main allure of city lines too, all the life around the skater. So he gets a pass from me on this one. No need to put it on the video, but that's on Bill.

I'd say the clip where the guy gets hit with the board is on the same level as Nick running into the guard, completely avoidable if you just don't go for it when someone is blocking the spot. Once he committed, however, there's not really anything he can do except kick the board away. I wouldn't insinuate that he actively tried to assault the dude with his board, that's a weighty accusation I'm not comfortable to make based on a 2 second clip without any further context. And, beating a dead horse here, don't put it in the fucking video.

Again, wack behavior, I'm not making excuses. It's just not that big of deal to me to cry wolf.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #613 on: December 02, 2022, 06:26:17 AM »

im going with bill. whole vibe is just so contrived. missing full parts from heavy hitters like swan, sage, kader

hard call though after that christian rock song ty put over nigels part....but we could see the tricks at least

Patrick2G

• Rep: -309
« Reply #614 on: December 02, 2022, 06:31:16 AM »
The clips ruined by this dude’s filming is insane. Shit is gross. Pretty lame when Tyshawn just flings his board into a security guard. Like, the guy is doing his job and you launch a skateboard at him? Really cool.

IpathCats

« Reply #615 on: December 02, 2022, 06:39:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

00:25, Nick basically plays a game of chicken with the guard, makes contact and then gets mad at him for not moving out of the way. The whole prolonged scene is cringeworthy, but imo it's even worse that Pontus decided to open the video with it. I do have some amount of understanding for skaters who act out in these situations because of the adrenaline rush they experience in the moment. But the editor watches that shit a hundred times and makes a calculated decision to include it in the video. There's just no excuse for that.

I personally find this instance much more egregious than the clip of TJ and the pedestrian bumping into each other, which to me looks just like two people trying and failing to avoid each other. You can argue that he shouldn't try it when there's people walking there, but it's a sidewalk in Manhattan, there's always people. That's probably the main allure of city lines too, all the life around the skater. So he gets a pass from me on this one. No need to put it on the video, but that's on Bill.

I'd say the clip where the guy gets hit with the board is on the same level as Nick running into the guard, completely avoidable if you just don't go for it when someone is blocking the spot. Once he committed, however, there's not really anything he can do except kick the board away. I wouldn't insinuate that he actively tried to assault the dude with his board, that's a weighty accusation I'm not comfortable to make based on a 2 second clip without any further context. And, beating a dead horse here, don't put it in the fucking video.

Again, wack behavior, I'm not making excuses. It's just not that big of deal to me to cry wolf.

I feel like the Bosiero example isnt as bad, he's clearly trying not to hit them. Idk, you wont see me getting into altercations like these, that's for sure. I used to love getting into arguments with adults when i was a little shit kid street skating though hahaha. I'm glad im past that lol

scab

« Reply #616 on: December 02, 2022, 06:48:27 AM »
That's pretty much what I mean: We both look at exactly the same clip and get different impressions from it. Either of us might be right, or we could both be way off. No way to know without more context. There's no upside in including these kinds of clips, it's one of the tropes skateboarding should definitely leave behind.

MtnDoucheBag

• Rep: -106
« Reply #617 on: December 02, 2022, 06:49:13 AM »
I’ve watched this 3 times now and still have no idea what’s going on.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 370
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #618 on: December 02, 2022, 07:15:08 AM »
Expand Quote
That Kris Brown dude really came through with some great clips. Also goes for the rest of the violet dudes but I already knew they were good. Prior Kris clips never got me too hyped before.

Who was the dude at muni with the fs 5-0 180 nosegrind 180 out? Shit was amazing.

Really enjoyed the pyramid ledge section besides seeing Beatrice do exactly what we all expected. She can't 5-0 shuv yet?
[close]

Pretty sure it’s Brian Panebianco?
https://instagram.com/brian_panebianco?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Yes, repping Palace in the supreme video and flipping them off because he’s a fucking boss, easily the illest clip in there.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Scholesey

• Rep: 24
« Reply #619 on: December 02, 2022, 07:16:42 AM »
Such a sick vid.

Makes me wanna try Ventures again.

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 81
« Reply #620 on: December 02, 2022, 07:36:46 AM »
That's pretty much what I mean: We both look at exactly the same clip and get different impressions from it. Either of us might be right, or we could both be way off. No way to know without more context. There's no upside in including these kinds of clips, it's one of the tropes skateboarding should definitely leave behind.

“no way to know without more context”

actually i feel extremely comfortable making a judgement call that it is indeed whack that Tyshawn launched his board at a security guard from point blank range in an incredibly avoidable scenario lol what is the context that could be provided that would make that less shitty? the dude was pretty clearly planted af, not like he just popped up out of nowhere at the last second. Tyshawn could’ve just not tried it but he decided to play chicken with the guy. Just come back later man, it’s not that serious

that stuff obviously still happens in skateboarding and as much as i wish it wouldn’t, i think denormalizing it starts with video editors just leaving that shit out of edits. we’re past the golden age of glorifying skateboarders fighting with security of the 90s and 2000s but it’s certainly not completely gone and every time someone like Bill decides to put a clip like that in a video, kids see that shit and think it’s cool behavior they should emulate. i certainly thought it was cool when i was 12 and would argue with people kicking me out of spots and shit, until i grew up a bit and realized it was super lame. i don’t skateboard for a living so i know the stakes are different if i don’t “get the clip” or whatever, but c’mon, these dudes need to grow up

scab

« Reply #621 on: December 02, 2022, 07:40:41 AM »
^Did you read my previous posts at all or just the one you quoted? The quote isn't even about Tyshawn, it's about Nick Boserio. Thanks for delivering a perfect example that context is indeed key.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 913
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #622 on: December 02, 2022, 07:42:17 AM »
I hate to be that guy, but Tyshawns first song was used in the pivotal 2006 Zoo York promo “Welcome to Zoo York City” for the Brandon westgate/Anthony shetlers part.

Quite the embarrassing blunder if you ask me.

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 81
« Reply #623 on: December 02, 2022, 07:48:30 AM »
^Did you read my previous posts at all or just the one you quoted? The quote isn't even about Tyshawn, it's about Nick Boserio. Thanks for delivering a perfect example that context is indeed key.

yeah u right i got confused cuz you didn’t quote reply, my b, i see what you were saying now lol

fwiw i think the nick boserio thing was lame too haha

scab

« Reply #624 on: December 02, 2022, 07:56:37 AM »
^All good, I think we're pretty much on the same page. Leave this shit out of skate videos, they'll be better for it.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -322
« Reply #625 on: December 02, 2022, 07:58:00 AM »
Aiden Mackey rolling up to the Sombrero like:

If someone could photoshop his head and hands on the fruit bat that'd be hilarious.

stendhalian

• Rep: 1
« Reply #626 on: December 02, 2022, 08:00:07 AM »
Video ruled. The knitting circle of complainers in this thread is pathetic.

hotdogsweatpants

• Rep: 67
« Reply #627 on: December 02, 2022, 08:01:14 AM »
Ben K looks like he has time travelled to the present day from a future in which key elements of the current societal structure have collapsed.
The pant situation is out of control at this point

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #628 on: December 02, 2022, 08:13:01 AM »
Ben K had the feel good part of the year.  Bills filming should be expected at this point.

35mm

• Rep: 29
« Reply #629 on: December 02, 2022, 08:18:05 AM »
Aiden Mackey rolling up to the Sombrero like:
I had to replay a couple times that part. Hilarious