Author Topic: Tyshawn SOTY 2022  (Read 40999 times)

SubCurban Commando

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 16
Re: Tyshawn SOTY 2022
« Reply #360 on: December 10, 2022, 01:19:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
SOTY used to be picked by Phelps, regardless of what any malakas on the internet had to say about it. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess Burnett gets to call it now. He probably listens to people around him more than Phelps ever did, but the idea that the readers of Thrasher should get a say is completely contrary to the way it has always worked. I feel like even offering the online vote is just a joke.

Someone else said the whole point is really the build up, I don't know if that's entirely true, but if you don't enjoy the frenzy before it happens than there really isn't any point in engaging with it at all.

I am a whiny, bitter old man who hates everything, yet even I can see that Tyshawn is good. He's an incredible skateboarder, keeps it street as fuck, can do a bunch of shit no one else can, and seems to have a pretty fucking good time doing it. I'm glad he got it, hope he ollies up Wallenberg next year and wins it again.
[close]

I reckon he's probably not a million miles away from being able to ollie up the lloyds 3 in Bristol, could probably do tricks up the Southbank 7 as well.
[close]

Didn’t brophy 180 up south bank like 20 years ago?

Yeah, I reckon Tyshawn has got a switch ollie up it and Maybe a flip trick too perhaps.

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 189
« Reply #361 on: December 10, 2022, 03:23:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Pretty funny that a dude who won SOTY twice probably can't do an axel stall on a 5 foot miniramp.

But hey, the stuff he does, only he can do it. Congrats to TJ.
[close]

I'm convinced everyone hating on Tyshawn are just ignorant fucks.

[close]
people can have differing opinions and not like someones skating/fits/style/attitude not talking specifics to tyshawn, but having a differing opinion doesn't make someone a hater or an ignorant fuck.

you missed the point of his post. he was responding to the guy claiming tyshawn wouldn't be able to do an axle stall on qp.

TrainWreck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
« Reply #362 on: December 10, 2022, 03:39:52 AM »
Nyjah got robbed

Is Tyshawn on one Level of cole or way in order to get Soty two times?

Skatebrain

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #363 on: December 10, 2022, 04:56:00 AM »
If he hadn’t won before I could see this pick.    I think with his age and recent acl tear this was probably Nyjah’s peak.    Tyshawn has at least 5 years to throw down similar parts.    Seems a shame one of the best skaters of the last 10-15 years has never one, nor probably will.   

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -306
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #364 on: December 10, 2022, 06:59:06 AM »
This skater of the year award has gotten so ridiculous. I kinda wish it would die.
Such a Gen Z thing to say. Might as well give participation medals with that mentality. “Everyone is skater of the year”.

scumbag_skater

• Rep: -7
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #365 on: December 10, 2022, 09:28:58 AM »
I’ve been a huge nyjah hater pretty much since he cut off his dreadlocks and started becoming a human billboard for energy drinks and Nike but there’s no way u can tell me that Tyshawn deserved to win SOTY over him … saying it’s because of the allegations against him doesn’t make sense either.. if Thrasher cared about the allegations why would they have him in the final 4 to begin with ? They could care less about those allegations let’s be real..

I voted for TFunk but I knew those votes on the site wouldn’t matter whatsoever , if our votes really mattered Nyjah would have won by a landslide .. yes he has a lot of haters in the core skate community but mainstream wise he has millions of fans and would have smoked the competition thru fan voting .. it actually pisses me off that Thrasher would insult our intelligence by putting up some fake poll..

This is just my opinion but I don’t even give a fuck about SOTY or Thrasher anymore , Thrasher died the moment Phelps died … it will never be the same because u can’t fill his shoes … the dude was a real original character in our community and would have never let the bullshit that these other people do slide ..

Thrasher sold out and supreme sold out , supreme isn’t even selling out anymore and people are losing interest in them as a brand each and every day .. let’s be real SOTY is all political now and all about what company wants to shell out the most money to buy the trophy … Nike doesn’t care enough about skateboarding or some stupid lil niche award that nobody cares about outside skateboarding .. their not gonna throw money at thrasher to help get Nyjah over the edge but Supreme for some reason wants Tyshawn to win bad….

Did u see all the ads they have been putting out there ? Supreme has been flooding thrasher and it all makes sense now …. Tyshawn is an amazing skater and a generational talent, I’m happy nyc has a legend in the making and it’s cool to see this younger generation have someone to look up to from New York that we had when I was coming up .. my dude was Harold Hunter, he wasn’t the talent that TJ is but the dude fit the ny mold perfectly … But I have to be realistic and honest about the award this year, when I voted for TFunk I knew it was he was unlikely to really win it … I just can’t see thrasher giving it to him this early on in his career and against the other giants in Tyshawn and Nyjah…

So in my mind it was between Jah and TJ and if u look at both those parts trick for trick Nyjah wins hands down … Nyjahs parts always bore me after a minute in because I hate his style and how he dresses like some waspy tennis player but his shine on part was a beautiful piece of cinematography, their were angles used in that part I’ve never see used in other skate videos .. the music selection was also very good for a Nyjah part … then he drops the second part and it’s just banger after banger …

Nyjah can’t pop like Tyshawn but Tyshawn can’t do the tricks Nyjah does , they both don’t have the prettiest style but Nyjah can do all the tricks Tyshawn can do besides the ones that require insane pop… if u compare just tricks per minute in their parts it’s not even close , Nyjah had a trick per second damn near in some of those parts and their was no filler … This was the year in my mind that Nyjah was gonna bring it home … the dude has done everything their is to do in skateboarding and won every trophy except the elusive SOTY and this was his best chance yet …

I can’t even see how he wins it going forward if he didn’t win this year , how does he top these parts ? He’s getting older and can’t keep doing his style of skating forever… like what is Thrasher looking for ?

greenbeans

« Reply #366 on: December 10, 2022, 09:48:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
clipped, doesn’t count and abd in 2013

still have to give them props for doing it. i dont have the balls to do this

greenbeans

« Reply #367 on: December 10, 2022, 09:50:15 AM »

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #368 on: December 10, 2022, 10:26:13 AM »

people can have differing opinions and not like someones skating/fits/style/attitude not talking specifics to tyshawn, but having a differing opinion doesn't make someone a hater or an ignorant fuck.

I posted this because some fool claimed that SOTY went to a guy that PROBABLY can't axel stall. So I posted this to shut him up...though to be fair, I still never seen TJ do an axel stall.

People can have their opinions on TJ, Nyjah, anyone and say they dont like them. But when you IGNORE what's given to you (footage, IG clips, video parts), then yes, you are an ignorant fuck.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #369 on: December 10, 2022, 10:32:16 AM »
Expand Quote
This skater of the year award has gotten so ridiculous. I kinda wish it would die.
[close]
Such a Gen Z thing to say. Might as well give participation medals with that mentality. “Everyone is skater of the year”.

Such a Boomer response, lol. Sleep well in your 'locals only' bedlinen. 

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 26
« Reply #370 on: December 10, 2022, 10:53:13 AM »

Bring that guy and his rental bike to the China Bank.
He shoud judge what’s gnarlier - clearing the big bench or the train gap.

Where Am I

• Rep: 0
« Reply #371 on: December 10, 2022, 11:19:21 AM »

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #372 on: December 10, 2022, 11:41:54 AM »
i want to see TJ grind pool coping, only then will he be worthy of getting the SOTY award
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

AR abstain

• Rep: -25
« Reply #373 on: December 10, 2022, 12:08:57 PM »
didn't Phelper run and jump across the subway tracks in an old Thrasher? i couldn't ollie it but MNMFTB [my nigga Mike from the Bronx] ollied it so Tyshawn is one upping a loc shark vs T.Funk or Nyjah who  breath rarified air.

howtotictac

• Rep: 12
« Reply #374 on: December 10, 2022, 12:37:36 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I posted this because some fool claimed that SOTY went to a guy that PROBABLY can't axel stall. So I posted this to shut him up...though to be fair, I still never seen TJ do an axel stall.

People can have their opinions on TJ, Nyjah, anyone and say they dont like them. But when you IGNORE what's given to you (footage, IG clips, video parts), then yes, you are an ignorant fuck.

Hey just chill out, I just made a joke to point out the fact that TJ seems to have no interest in tranny skating. Which is pretty unusual these days when the majority of pro skaters a fairly well rounded. And if that makes you happy, yes I’ll admit that TJ can probably do an axle stall, or can he?

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -64
  • ???
« Reply #375 on: December 10, 2022, 01:30:18 PM »
Tyshawn the most self actualized skater doesnt need to axel stall for you

rukes

• Rep: 221
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #376 on: December 10, 2022, 01:50:11 PM »
BuT coUld TysHane even DisastER Grant TAYlors Dad's ROOF???!!!???
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85
« Reply #377 on: December 10, 2022, 02:29:38 PM »

dannyprovolone

« Reply #378 on: December 10, 2022, 02:37:07 PM »

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85
« Reply #379 on: December 10, 2022, 02:57:09 PM »

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 407
« Reply #380 on: December 10, 2022, 03:40:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
SOTY used to be picked by Phelps, regardless of what any malakas on the internet had to say about it. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess Burnett gets to call it now. He probably listens to people around him more than Phelps ever did, but the idea that the readers of Thrasher should get a say is completely contrary to the way it has always worked. I feel like even offering the online vote is just a joke.

Someone else said the whole point is really the build up, I don't know if that's entirely true, but if you don't enjoy the frenzy before it happens than there really isn't any point in engaging with it at all.

I am a whiny, bitter old man who hates everything, yet even I can see that Tyshawn is good. He's an incredible skateboarder, keeps it street as fuck, can do a bunch of shit no one else can, and seems to have a pretty fucking good time doing it. I'm glad he got it, hope he ollies up Wallenberg next year and wins it again.
[close]

I reckon he's probably not a million miles away from being able to ollie up the lloyds 3 in Bristol, could probably do tricks up the Southbank 7 as well.
[close]

[close]

Yeah, I reckon Tyshawn has got a switch ollie up it and Maybe a flip trick too perhaps.

He switch ollied up the set at EMB I’m assuming that’s roughly the same size as south bank? If I’m way off apologies as I’ve never had the pleasure of skating there.

greenbeans

« Reply #381 on: December 10, 2022, 04:04:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You think TJ can’t axel stall?

lilyung

• Rep: -8
« Reply #382 on: December 10, 2022, 04:15:26 PM »
I’ve been a huge nyjah hater pretty much since he cut off his dreadlocks and started becoming a human billboard for energy drinks and Nike but there’s no way u can tell me that Tyshawn deserved to win SOTY over him … saying it’s because of the allegations against him doesn’t make sense either.. if Thrasher cared about the allegations why would they have him in the final 4 to begin with ? They could care less about those allegations let’s be real..

I voted for TFunk but I knew those votes on the site wouldn’t matter whatsoever , if our votes really mattered Nyjah would have won by a landslide .. yes he has a lot of haters in the core skate community but mainstream wise he has millions of fans and would have smoked the competition thru fan voting .. it actually pisses me off that Thrasher would insult our intelligence by putting up some fake poll..

This is just my opinion but I don’t even give a fuck about SOTY or Thrasher anymore , Thrasher died the moment Phelps died … it will never be the same because u can’t fill his shoes … the dude was a real original character in our community and would have never let the bullshit that these other people do slide ..

Thrasher sold out and supreme sold out , supreme isn’t even selling out anymore and people are losing interest in them as a brand each and every day .. let’s be real SOTY is all political now and all about what company wants to shell out the most money to buy the trophy … Nike doesn’t care enough about skateboarding or some stupid lil niche award that nobody cares about outside skateboarding .. their not gonna throw money at thrasher to help get Nyjah over the edge but Supreme for some reason wants Tyshawn to win bad….

Did u see all the ads they have been putting out there ? Supreme has been flooding thrasher and it all makes sense now …. Tyshawn is an amazing skater and a generational talent, I’m happy nyc has a legend in the making and it’s cool to see this younger generation have someone to look up to from New York that we had when I was coming up .. my dude was Harold Hunter, he wasn’t the talent that TJ is but the dude fit the ny mold perfectly … But I have to be realistic and honest about the award this year, when I voted for TFunk I knew it was he was unlikely to really win it … I just can’t see thrasher giving it to him this early on in his career and against the other giants in Tyshawn and Nyjah…

So in my mind it was between Jah and TJ and if u look at both those parts trick for trick Nyjah wins hands down … Nyjahs parts always bore me after a minute in because I hate his style and how he dresses like some waspy tennis player but his shine on part was a beautiful piece of cinematography, their were angles used in that part I’ve never see used in other skate videos .. the music selection was also very good for a Nyjah part … then he drops the second part and it’s just banger after banger …

Nyjah can’t pop like Tyshawn but Tyshawn can’t do the tricks Nyjah does , they both don’t have the prettiest style but Nyjah can do all the tricks Tyshawn can do besides the ones that require insane pop… if u compare just tricks per minute in their parts it’s not even close , Nyjah had a trick per second damn near in some of those parts and their was no filler … This was the year in my mind that Nyjah was gonna bring it home … the dude has done everything their is to do in skateboarding and won every trophy except the elusive SOTY and this was his best chance yet …

I can’t even see how he wins it going forward if he didn’t win this year , how does he top these parts ? He’s getting older and can’t keep doing his style of skating forever… like what is Thrasher looking for ?

@scumbag_skater I ain't reading all that. I'm happy for u tho.
Or sorry that happened

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 825
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #383 on: December 10, 2022, 05:46:38 PM »
I bet Aurélien Giraud can axle stall
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

SubCurban Commando

• Rep: 16
« Reply #384 on: December 10, 2022, 05:59:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

He switch ollied up the set at EMB I’m assuming that’s roughly the same size as south bank? If I’m way off apologies as I’ve never had the pleasure of skating there.

I'm not sure, tbh Southbank steps aren't very long and it's not high for a 7, it's basically just a drop.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 998
  • the moon rules
« Reply #385 on: December 10, 2022, 06:18:18 PM »
If he hadn’t won before I could see this pick.    I think with his age and recent acl tear this was probably Nyjah’s peak.    Tyshawn has at least 5 years to throw down similar parts.    Seems a shame one of the best skaters of the last 10-15 years has never one, nor probably will.
Dennis Busenitz never got SOTY either. Sometimes it be like that
fuck you bama

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
« Reply #386 on: December 10, 2022, 06:27:47 PM »

slap board needs to implement some sort of system where if people post stuff like this their family and authorities get notified immediately

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #387 on: December 10, 2022, 06:50:38 PM »

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #388 on: December 10, 2022, 07:21:37 PM »
I bet Aurélien Giraud can axle stall

He's actually not that bad on transition and has filmed a few 540s.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

boogs

« Reply #389 on: December 10, 2022, 08:17:08 PM »
people really care about stuff they have zero control over