Author Topic: Ben Degros vlog  (Read 44959 times)

Natas Fauxas

Ben Degros vlog
« on: December 17, 2022, 03:06:28 PM »
I didnt see a dedicated Ben Thread. If there is one please mods move this into that. I just thought it was rare because he had FS nose king Moses Itonken in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ks30BAB6fE

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
Re: Ben Degros vlog
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2022, 03:16:22 PM »
I've honestly watched more of his drywall videos than his skate videos. The guy is nice with a trowel.
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

Natas Fauxas

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 03:48:12 PM »
I've honestly watched more of his drywall videos than his skate videos. The guy is nice with a trowel.
You arent wrong. Dude is multi faceted. I only thought the old heads would like to see Moses speak.

goodatmeth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2022, 04:02:22 PM »
Ben deserves better than calling his videos vlogs

Natas Fauxas

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 06:24:51 PM »
Ben deserves better than calling his videos vlogs

You are right just didnt know what to call it

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2022, 06:27:08 PM »
Ben, Moses, and FS nose slides are all things I like very much. Hadn't popped on YouTube today so thanks!

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2022, 08:10:14 PM »
We're long overdue for a dedicated Ben D thread

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2022, 08:22:33 PM »
That park looks incredible and was probably 1/3 the cost of most skateparks.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Natas Fauxas

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2022, 08:31:31 PM »
I like the setup. Its around a public tennis court. Force people to share the space.

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2022, 08:37:20 PM »
Big Vancouver Carpenter fan here.

pile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • sweet, man.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2022, 09:17:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I like the setup. Its around a public tennis court. Force people to share the space.

*pickleball courts*

I live 10 minutes away from that park, it's an absolute dream come true.

Moses donated the money to make sure that the park was concrete, had granite ledges, and that it stayed permanent rather than be a temporary solution.

the curb spot at the intro of the video is absolutely top tier too, I have basically retired there and couldn't be happier.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2022, 09:27:17 PM »
Congrats on your beautiful new park. I might have to float some of these ideas to the city council / skatepark committee over here if anything ever gets moving.

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2022, 09:35:38 PM »
I'm late to Ben's vLogs. Stoked I've got years of vids to go through. Bummed Youtube has never suggested Vancouver Carpenter to me

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2022, 04:33:33 AM »
Vancouver Carpenter helped me fix my torn drywall paper, or whatever it's called.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

FuzzGNU

• Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2022, 04:46:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was thinking the same as you guys.

Even though this one seems a tad narrow, a U shape around a tennis court (L in this case) seems like a great idea for budget/space limited skatepark projects.

Seems like it's pretty good for lines if it's not packed. Can't say that about many larger and more expensive parks.

I don't know anything about red dragon (or if this other guy is connected to them) but it seems like whenever I hear about them, it's because they're doing something positive for Canadian skating. Can anyone tell me more about them? Is it a skate shop or just a clothing brand?
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

douchenozzle

• Rep: 30
  • "I am the party"-DLR
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2022, 04:58:03 AM »
I only watched the one where he talked about his brother Ted (I honestly didn’t know they were related). It was actually pretty decent

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2022, 06:08:52 AM »
I only watched the one where he talked about his brother Ted (I honestly didn’t know they were related). It was actually pretty decent

DeGros has got to be the least common last name in skateboarding, just saying.

I'd like to see a video of him and Ted skating together, hopefully they got back home for Xmas and they get a session in.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 95
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2022, 08:19:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I was thinking the same as you guys.

Even though this one seems a tad narrow, a U shape around a tennis court (L in this case) seems like a great idea for budget/space limited skatepark projects.

Seems like it's pretty good for lines if it's not packed. Can't say that about many larger and more expensive parks.

I don't know anything about red dragon (or if this other guy is connected to them) but it seems like whenever I hear about them, it's because they're doing something positive for Canadian skating. Can anyone tell me more about them? Is it a skate shop or just a clothing brand?

mostly a clothing brand but they have some pro decks too (moses, hastie, sluggo, machnau). have been a long lasting canadian skate institution that have always been involved in supporting the scene in some way.

i knew right away when i saw that park RDS was involved as they have been donating and shipping those granite ledges across the country. we got one here in my city and they are perfect. after a summer it still has no chipping at all on the edges and it grinds and slides like a dream.

https://reddragon.ca/pages/rds-bench-application

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2022, 10:04:04 AM »
I think those benches are like 2 grand too which is pretty good for any city to invest in.

Red Dragons was a bunch of guys who grew up namely in North Van, the name was a joke making fun of local Asian gangs. 

As they got older, they got rowdier, started a brand, a shop and a distributor which is what Moses runs.  More people than any will admit to has been helped by them, but at the same time, the branding isn’t for everyone….

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2022, 11:14:13 AM »
I think those benches are like 2 grand too which is pretty good for any city to invest in.

Red Dragons was a bunch of guys who grew up namely in North Van, the name was a joke making fun of local Asian gangs. 

As they got older, they got rowdier, started a brand, a shop and a distributor which is what Moses runs.  More people than any will admit to has been helped by them, but at the same time, the branding isn’t for everyone….

Not that it can't be two things but I thought they just took the name from the book or the movie man hunter( prob more likely second option as they don't strike me as big readers)
As much as they may have helped skaters can't help but think it doesn't square up against whoever they "helped" at their church group conversions thing

wheelchair skitch

• Rep: -19
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2022, 11:59:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Not that it can't be two things but I thought they just took the name from the book or the movie man hunter( prob more likely second option as they don't strike me as big readers)
As much as they may have helped skaters can't help but think it doesn't square up against whoever they "helped" at their church group conversions thing

Are the red dragons affiliated with jesus christ?
BE LIKE WATER

FuzzGNU

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2022, 12:48:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

"Jesus Christ of Red Dragons?"

Or maybe

"Red Dragons of Jesus Christ?"

But for real, if they're doing/supporting conversion therapy stuff, that's beyond whack. Hope that was at least a decade ago and they're not still doing it.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2022, 01:49:15 PM »
The emblem was lifted from the book for sure once they started the store. 

Let’s not get skate church mixed up with RDS….they are not related but if you’re in the Okanagan, it’s near impossible not to get mixed up into one of them.

By help, I mean sponsor or hired……

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2022, 09:18:19 AM »
Anyone know where this is? I'm assuming East Van somewhere or Burnaby

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2022, 09:26:50 AM »
If religions included this ledge as part of the afterlife deal, I probably would participate.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2022, 12:16:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Or maybe

But for real, if they're doing/supporting conversion therapy stuff, that's beyond whack. Hope that was at least a decade ago and they're not still doing it.

Cop the fuck on as if they are doing conversion therapy you idiot.

Some people are so fried on here.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

FuzzGNU

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2022, 12:45:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Or maybe

[close]

Cop the fuck on as if they are doing conversion therapy you idiot.

Some people are so fried on here.

Read my comment again. I wanted clarification based on what was said.

Due to our previous Vice President here being involved with gay conversation camps, and Chick-fil-A donating money to similar groups... I wouldn't be shocked (no pun intended) by some random Christian skateboard group being affiliated with that shit as well.

Fuck now I'm laughing at the thought of Sluggo himself running a conversion camp.

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2022, 02:36:08 PM »
1601 Forbes Ave, North Vancouver, BC V7M 2Y4

consider this park tracked

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2022, 02:36:46 PM »
Anyone know where this is? I'm assuming East Van somewhere or Burnaby

North Van, Mahon park.

oops too slow. It was in the description and you do live in the area though haha. I am jealous. Next time I'm on the mainland I gotta check it out.

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2022, 06:11:38 PM »
I believe it was in the Big brother interview in 94 that Moses referenced helping with a church group that ran "conversion" therapy type stuff. However by 2000 he talks of his religious upbringing in a Transworld interview and how he's moved away from it...so I guess that's where "are the "Red Dragons Christian" questions come from?

However I've never met the guy and am not from BC so don't have anything else to go on. Happy he was able to help get a nice looking park in - even without knowledge of tree root/dripline protection zones.

https://skateboarding.transworld.net/features/pro-spotlight-moses-itkonen/
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk