Author Topic: Ben Degros vlog  (Read 52969 times)

JM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • sup dog
Re: Ben Degros vlog
« Reply #450 on: January 06, 2024, 05:05:08 PM »
Who else has been watching Ben since day one?

I owe that guy. I was having trouble returning to tricks. And had spent 14 years riding soft wheels every day. Chopper bikes. Graffiti.

Then I blew out my knee like first month back. I watched the videos. I avoided getting hopelessly on drugs again.

I fuckin finished the Clinic right when it happened too so I was in extra pain. 12 years wasted on that crap. Along with being a long bloarder but on old craile stuff.

I had to skate I wasn't going to make it.

He gave me the drive to go get what I wanted back. I've gotten so much more out of it this time.

I'll always respect and appreciate the Pal up north.

May he skate a thousand years.

I owe you pals as much if not more.

I love skatebloarding in 2024. This is the best shit on the planet.

(So glad I didn't fall for Kyro like so many of the other ex junkies I know did) how?
May you skate a thousand years. Glad you’re still with us.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 30
« Reply #451 on: January 06, 2024, 05:57:40 PM »

I owe that guy. I was having trouble returning to tricks. And had spent 14 years riding soft wheels every day. Chopper bikes. Graffiti.

Then I blew out my knee like first month back. I watched the videos. I avoided getting hopelessly on drugs again.

I fuckin finished the Clinic right when it happened too so I was in extra pain. 12 years wasted on that crap. Along with being a long bloarder but on old craile stuff.

He gave me the drive to go get what I wanted back. I've gotten so much more out of it this time.

(So glad I didn't fall for Kyro like so many of the other ex junkies I know did) how?
we love u Uncle Flea. you make this world and these boards a better place!

Banned from the room

« Reply #452 on: January 06, 2024, 05:57:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
May you skate a thousand years. Glad you’re still with us.

Thanks. It's good to be here

Banned from the room

« Reply #453 on: January 06, 2024, 05:58:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
we love u Uncle Flea. you make this world and these boards a better place!

Thanks yo. Ilu2.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #454 on: January 06, 2024, 06:31:08 PM »
Ben's videos definitely fed into my madness, which in turn made me want to skate more to get over the madness. I've watched the Radial Slims, Venture 5.6 / V-Hollow, Thunder vs Venture videos more times than I can recall, just having it on as background noise is good for me.

Can't wait to see what he got up to at the BBS woodshop and Soletec, even excited for the Sewa board check.

Looking at him skating the Primitive park is a good reminder that he's shop flow good or 90s era good. Not a knock on him but looking at the level of skating coming out of the AMs on primitive is a good reminder of how elite pro skaters are.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #455 on: January 07, 2024, 04:04:02 AM »
I actually can’t remember the first time I actually watched Ben’s vids but I do remember one popping up into my YouTube feed randomly and thinking “who is this guy, is this Ted’s brother?” This was probably 2021 or so. Maybe longer. At first I wasn’t super interested. But I’d talk to more and more skaters who seemed to know who he was and once they confirmed he was Ted’s brother I really wanted to check it out cause I was a massive North 1 fan. If you haven’t seen teds part from it you are in for a REAL treat.

I think the only piece of gear I have changed because of Ben is I switched to thunder trucks and spitfire classics. I was already wanting to try both though and his vids kinda sealed the deal.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 08:47:43 AM by rawbertson. »

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 325
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #456 on: January 07, 2024, 06:17:15 AM »
I’ve watched his stuff from time to time. Try not to pay a ton of attention so I don’t get sucked into the madness. But I do appreciate his liking of Venture lo’s.
So Ben if your lurking, get dlx to make wider than 5.25 lo’s for some of us.
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #457 on: January 07, 2024, 09:12:16 AM »
maybe one of the biggest take aways I've gotten from watching Ben was in that session with GH he brought grapes as a snack.....

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 696
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #458 on: January 07, 2024, 09:49:12 AM »

Ben and I go "way" back. Somehow we connected at the very beginning and would chat often. He told me what his long-term plan was for the channel, and we actually bounced ideas back and forth for awhile. Then he found his groove and the rest is history. So, yeah, "since day one."
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

manysnakes

« Reply #459 on: January 07, 2024, 09:54:27 AM »
maybe one of the biggest take aways I've gotten from watching Ben was in that session with GH he brought grapes as a snack.....

As a healthy snacker, I felt validated.

Banned from the room

« Reply #460 on: January 07, 2024, 10:01:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

As a healthy snacker, I felt validated.

That's kinda scary tho. Ben x jack the ripper.

Heeeeeeey Gh get in my buggy I got grapes!

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #461 on: January 08, 2024, 08:03:17 AM »
So in that Dan Corrigan vid where he is filming Ben at the skatepark, what deck is that Ben is riding?  Did I hear right that it is still the same wheelbase (14), but the length is 32?  That seems like it would be a crazy long nose and tail for low trucks.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #462 on: January 08, 2024, 04:51:25 PM »
So in that Dan Corrigan vid where he is filming Ben at the skatepark, what deck is that Ben is riding?  Did I hear right that it is still the same wheelbase (14), but the length is 32?  That seems like it would be a crazy long nose and tail for low trucks.

There are some boards that might seem too long, but actually work quite well, especially on Venture trucks, or work better than it might seem on paper with those dimensions.

A couple of boards in that category recently showed they had 6.7 to 6.8 tails and 6.9 to 7 noses in similar dimensions, 14 wb on a 32 length.

DLX has been doing a few shapes like that, the Real tropical dream series, then scanner series, on the same shapes.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

manysnakes

« Reply #463 on: January 08, 2024, 05:06:10 PM »
I love his channel and I’m glad Ben is back, but it’s pretty funny that he made a “goodbye” video and was back in a shorter interval than his regular videos were sometimes released.

It’s obvious that he feels pressure to made videos regularly and I suppose that’s what you need to do to stay profitable on YouTube, but it’s clear to me that he could have an entirely irregular schedule of producing stuff when he feels like it and his skate channel would remain as popular as ever.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • sup dog
« Reply #464 on: January 08, 2024, 07:47:18 PM »
I love his channel and I’m glad Ben is back, but it’s pretty funny that he made a “goodbye” video and was back in a shorter interval than his regular videos were sometimes released.

It’s obvious that he feels pressure to made videos regularly and I suppose that’s what you need to do to stay profitable on YouTube, but it’s clear to me that he could have an entirely irregular schedule of producing stuff when he feels like it and his skate channel would remain as popular as ever.
You know how you call "one last try", and it is anything but?

Ben's a real skater.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1643
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #465 on: January 09, 2024, 04:04:17 PM »
I actually can’t remember the first time I actually watched Ben’s vids but I do remember one popping up into my YouTube feed randomly and thinking “who is this guy, is this Ted’s brother?” This was probably 2021 or so. Maybe longer. At first I wasn’t super interested. But I’d talk to more and more skaters who seemed to know who he was and once they confirmed he was Ted’s brother I really wanted to check it out cause I was a massive North 1 fan. If you haven’t seen teds part from it you are in for a REAL treat.

I think the only piece of gear I have changed because of Ben is I switched to thunder trucks and spitfire classics. I was already wanting to try both though and his vids kinda sealed the deal.

Thanks for sharing, I had never seen this before. The more I watch it, the more it De Gros on me.

"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Frank Sobotka

• Rep: 95
  • We used to make shit in this country, build shit
« Reply #466 on: January 11, 2024, 05:59:35 AM »
I find it interesting how he went so hard on YouTubers who use clickbait to deceive viewers in his Nine Club interview, but then turns up in 2 Dan Corrigan videos, lol.

Which video is he on a session with GH? I need to check that out, unless it's from the other time he went to Cali last year.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #467 on: January 11, 2024, 08:10:07 AM »
I find it interesting how he went so hard on YouTubers who use clickbait to deceive viewers in his Nine Club interview, but then turns up in 2 Dan Corrigan videos, lol.

Which video is he on a session with GH? I need to check that out, unless it's from the other time he went to Cali last year.

yep its just from when he went to cali last year.

manysnakes

« Reply #468 on: January 11, 2024, 08:18:06 AM »

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #469 on: January 15, 2024, 12:08:55 PM »

left knee cap

• Rep: 117
  • $$$$
« Reply #470 on: January 15, 2024, 12:23:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There was this vid also uploaded to Ben's channel going thru his set up

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
« Reply #471 on: January 16, 2024, 09:38:26 AM »

You can tell crob and ben would never be friends

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #472 on: January 17, 2024, 10:16:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You can tell crob and ben would never be friends
Why because Ben is more intelligent and attractive while supporting a family

nothing's been the since same

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #473 on: January 17, 2024, 11:09:56 PM »
Crob has such a fragile ego. Him reacting to Ben‘s „critique“ on his setups was hard to watch. He‘s in the industry for nearly 30 years now and still reacts like teenager, when someone comments his setup.

Frank Sobotka

• Rep: 95
  • We used to make shit in this country, build shit
« Reply #474 on: January 18, 2024, 12:52:27 AM »
Crob has such a fragile ego. Him reacting to Ben‘s „critique“ on his setups was hard to watch. He‘s in the industry for nearly 30 years now and still reacts like teenager, when someone comments his setup.

They were both just having a laugh and it wasn't that serious

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #475 on: January 18, 2024, 01:56:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They were both just having a laugh and it wasn't that serious

Might be. To me it appeared differently

Giftedly Hater’d

• Rep: 415
« Reply #476 on: January 18, 2024, 05:51:47 AM »
I think it’s just another case of Roberts mobbing the kickflip of sincere human interaction.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #477 on: January 18, 2024, 06:45:20 AM »
California curb culture must be something else. I've never seen so many people convene at a curb spot. We have a couple of perfect DIY curbs here and I rarely see a session get heavy.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #478 on: January 18, 2024, 08:03:37 AM »
California curb culture must be something else. I've never seen so many people convene at a curb spot. We have a couple of perfect DIY curbs here and I rarely see a session get heavy.
It's the land of "I can't ollie so I will let that define my entire skate personality instead of working on my body and skating so I can do more tricks and realize my actual potential."  *does not apply to people with actual injuries that prevent them from trying.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #479 on: January 18, 2024, 08:11:30 AM »
california is a huge, this is west LA where there’s a billion skaters. Not everywhere is like that