Author Topic: Ben Degros vlog  (Read 52974 times)

YMCMB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 49
Re: Ben Degros vlog
« Reply #510 on: March 19, 2024, 01:59:56 PM »
I love Ben, but it was super cringe how bothered he was by the unicorn graphic.

Should've just printed them all instead of wasting them.
I understand maybe he felt uncomfortable, but getting a little jab by Jim T is like a rite of passage.
He did seem more bummed than I felt he should, but also who the fuck am I to judge.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #511 on: March 19, 2024, 03:06:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I understand maybe he felt uncomfortable, but getting a little jab by Jim T is like a rite of passage.
He did seem more bummed than I felt he should, but also who the fuck am I to judge.

Better than a "little jab" from Mickey Reyes.

But really I think, as per his Nine Club, he was never good enough to get his name on a board, so getting one now, especially with such a graphic was very much a piss take that he didn't want.

He said he would keep that one to go on the wall, with others all having nicer / different DLX graphics, which I can totally understand.  Similar to the DLX team riders who don't want to see their own name on a board, but will ride other graphics from their team mates just fine.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #512 on: March 20, 2024, 04:50:37 AM »

Yeah he came off as a bit pissy and lacking a sense of humour. Said it kinda ruined his video because he was so bummed by it, did I hear that right? Could have been a bit more thankful for the blessing of an in joke from Jim. Not a big deal but made me think he’s more uptight and less fun than I figured.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #513 on: March 20, 2024, 06:49:48 AM »
i would have loved the unicorn boards but i also REALLY like how he got to put those custom graphics on, i mean that would be fucking AMAZING to get the chance to do that!! some really epic graphics he got on there

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #514 on: March 20, 2024, 06:59:16 AM »
im already aware that all brands come from a handful of woodshops, but its still quite a "seeing the sausage get made" type moment when he turns a BBS blank into a Real or AntiHero.  I get theyre both DLX, but that could've been any other BBS wooded brand

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #515 on: March 20, 2024, 07:56:35 AM »

Lol, yeah same. It's kinda why I stopped watching his videos. He called Dunks "normie" shoes and it rubbed me the wrong way. Like it's cringe to think that way at his age. I have tons of respect for him, but he comes across as too serious/neurotic at times. Which is something he'd probably admit to. He also joked about his madness being a mental illness once. Which is kinda true. It's pure OCD.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #516 on: March 20, 2024, 07:59:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Lol, yeah same. It's kinda why I stopped watching his videos. He called Dunks "normie" shoes and it rubbed me the wrong way. Like it's cringe to think that way at his age. I have tons of respect for him, but he comes across as too serious/neurotic at times. Which is something he'd probably admit to. He also joked about his madness being a mental illness once. Which is kinda true. It's pure OCD.

He's not wrong though

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 10
« Reply #517 on: March 20, 2024, 08:02:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah he came off as a bit pissy and lacking a sense of humour. Said it kinda ruined his video because he was so bummed by it, did I hear that right? Could have been a bit more thankful for the blessing of an in joke from Jim. Not a big deal but made me think he’s more uptight and less fun than I figured.

Yea, this is precisely how I felt.

OhioGuy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #518 on: March 20, 2024, 08:03:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

He's not wrong though
He's not. I prefer the NB# 480. But it just felt lame. Like, you're 40, why do you care? It felt like a kid going out of their way just to stand out. "Oh, I can't wear those because everyone else wears them. I need to show how unique I am!"

Also, using "normie" is snobbish as fuck.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #519 on: March 20, 2024, 08:12:51 AM »
Dunk are definitely norm coded, like 550's, chucks, and old skools.

I am, however extremely jealous of him going in to BBS, pulling and running his own graphic choices. I didn't think his unicorn aversion was that big of deal, considering the alternative is being able to run that grimple lance mountain graphic on his prefered shape. Having 8 of the same exact graphic is not that great trust me.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 09:10:13 AM by TwisT »

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 10
« Reply #520 on: March 20, 2024, 08:26:10 AM »

I am, however extremely jealous of him going in to BBS, pulling and running his whole graphic choice. I didn't think his unicorn aversion was that big of deal, considering the alternative is being able to run that grimple lance mountain graphic on his prefered shape. Having 8 of the same exact graphic is not that great trust me.

Top ply color matters more to me than graphic tbh. If Jim T made me a custom graphic, I would rock all 8 of them with pride.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #521 on: March 20, 2024, 08:42:33 AM »

NORMMMMM

Me

DakotaRed

• Rep: 25
« Reply #522 on: March 20, 2024, 12:17:18 PM »
Normie, Normie, Normie... Hockey, Normie!

Shtonk

• Rep: -449
« Reply #523 on: March 21, 2024, 01:08:50 AM »
 Am I the only one who thought his reaction to the unicorn print fit his character? I've been getting weirded out by his madly unfunny chuckle "jokes" in his vids forever. He seems like a guy with a dark side thats all the more scary for the nice-guy persona. There isnt an ounce of inrony in that man. However, his insights are very valuable. Ben's the epitome of an uncool skater and it would be a good look fornhim to acknowledge thar a bit more, but surely that's not why anyone is watching his videos?

Kaezan

• Rep: -4
« Reply #524 on: March 21, 2024, 07:59:39 AM »
Am I the only one who thought his reaction to the unicorn print fit his character? I've been getting weirded out by his madly unfunny chuckle "jokes" in his vids forever. He seems like a guy with a dark side thats all the more scary for the nice-guy persona. There isnt an ounce of inrony in that man. However, his insights are very valuable. Ben's the epitome of an uncool skater and it would be a good look fornhim to acknowledge thar a bit more, but surely that's not why anyone is watching his videos?

I think he has acknowledged he has a dark past in some of his videos.

Dad Board

• Rep: 90
« Reply #525 on: March 21, 2024, 09:20:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

heard a guy once held the door open for him and he didn’t even say thank you.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
« Reply #526 on: March 21, 2024, 09:24:04 AM »
I love Ben’s videos but I don’t trust anyone that willing wears Etnies.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #527 on: March 21, 2024, 09:31:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Am I tripping or was his reaction fine? I feel like wasting the transfers was way better than printing them and wasting the boards that he won't feel like riding. He also said the unicorn is going on the wall, which if he didn't have a sense of humor, he wouldn't do.

slapattack

• Rep: 14
« Reply #528 on: March 21, 2024, 12:40:39 PM »
I think you guys are missing the point about the graphic. Its not because it has a unicorn on it but it has his name on it and he has been pretty adamant about not wanting a "pro board"

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #529 on: March 21, 2024, 05:22:14 PM »
Also, cut & mix the graphics up, cut the name off the unicorn and pop it on a tail, just make some fucked in the head sick ass boards. 

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #530 on: March 21, 2024, 10:15:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All he's said is that he used to smoke lots of weed and maybe took other drugs too. Most young people have the same story. That's not necessarily dark. What else has he said?

DakotaRed

« Reply #531 on: March 22, 2024, 07:31:29 AM »
He was a member of the Latin Kings before getting sober.

Dad Board

• Rep: 90
« Reply #532 on: March 22, 2024, 11:03:05 AM »

DakotaRed

« Reply #533 on: March 22, 2024, 11:37:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Now that's a graphic!

Natas_Fauxas

• Rep: 101
« Reply #534 on: March 31, 2024, 07:48:41 PM »
🚨🚨ILLEGAL!!!! 👇👇👇🚨🚨

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #535 on: April 01, 2024, 08:26:42 AM »
I like the sound of the board, it sounds similar to what I am riding from Primitive on 8.38. it has a long 6.75" tail as well. THe primitive board has a steep concave though, except for this one Robert Neal one I got in my last mystery box that is mysteriously much flatter than the others (from a 2020 drop...) I have only rode it once but I will let you know how It stacks up to the other ones - so far it seems about the same to me.

The main thing I really like the sound of is how the kicks are centered, i dont think really any other boards are like that besides twins. I also really like how the kicks are the same steepness because I feel like when there is a big difference it messes me up.

I had Anti Hero 8.5 x 14" wb last year and i didnt end up liking it as much as i thought i would. I found Nollie tricks really hard for some reason. i was on indys though maybe it would have been better on ventures or thunders. I also didnt like how short the tail was on that board at 6.5" and i didnt like how it tapered to get fatter on the nose end.

So this board sounds like it fixes pretty much all the things i didnt like about that board. 8.25" x 14.25" would be the size i would pick. I would consider this board for sure especially because it has the longer tail. The stock BBS sizes all have baby tails that would be the main thing that would bum me out about having to go blank because I have grown to really love this long tail.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #536 on: April 01, 2024, 02:26:56 PM »
I like the idea of symmetrical kicks, not shape, but degree of kick. However, he lost me on the full SE. I just can’t skate that thing anymore the nose is gross.

It’ll be interesting to hear what other people think riding thunders Indy ace Royals whatever instead of venture seeing is that specific board was built with ventures in mind.

CurbRaiders

• Rep: -31
« Reply #537 on: April 01, 2024, 04:20:23 PM »
Ben can do no wrong in my eyes, but I've seen enough of his content to know that him and I are like exact opposites when picking out a board. Whatever he put together aint for me, respectfully.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #538 on: April 01, 2024, 06:41:29 PM »
Aces and a Hockey board for you…..

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
« Reply #539 on: April 01, 2024, 07:14:28 PM »
Ben's constant beaming is so cute