Author Topic: Ben Degros vlog  (Read 57105 times)

YMCMB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 51
Re: Ben Degros vlog
« Reply #630 on: May 24, 2024, 11:32:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
dude was switch flip back tailing in these videos, i have never seen any of you switch flip back tailing except tzhangdox but he's not in here talking shit

6 years ago he was 6 years younger, to me it's impressive that he's >40 and still flipping out of slides consistently while not being a pro skater

if yall want 100% honest reviews of skate gear i might have to get in on that youtube shit since in my eyes everything is trash

[close]

I would watch that. But there must at least be a bit of skate gear that isn't absolute trash, right?
[close]

just jessup
Jessup is 100% trash.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #631 on: May 25, 2024, 12:00:06 AM »
In his latest video doing his mini shoe rack reviews the two shoes he says that skate the best are Etnies. Which I think is pretty interesting.

He says they aren't his favourites for other reasons but for skating they are the best.

Id be tempted to try the first pair but I honestly cannot imagine a shoe better than the nb1010
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 832
« Reply #632 on: May 25, 2024, 02:01:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
dude was switch flip back tailing in these videos, i have never seen any of you switch flip back tailing except tzhangdox but he's not in here talking shit

6 years ago he was 6 years younger, to me it's impressive that he's >40 and still flipping out of slides consistently while not being a pro skater

if yall want 100% honest reviews of skate gear i might have to get in on that youtube shit since in my eyes everything is trash

[close]

I would watch that. But there must at least be a bit of skate gear that isn't absolute trash, right?
[close]

just jessup
[close]
Jessup is 100% trash.

you probably flick down

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
« Reply #633 on: May 25, 2024, 05:28:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

just jessup
[close]
Jessup is 100% trash.
Tell me you can’t kickflip without telling me you can’t kickflip

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #634 on: May 25, 2024, 06:20:44 AM »
mob grip is a big shoe funded psyop ultimately meant to boost footwear sales

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #635 on: May 25, 2024, 06:44:24 AM »
In his latest video doing his mini shoe rack reviews the two shoes he says that skate the best are Etnies. Which I think is pretty interesting.

He says they aren't his favourites for other reasons but for skating they are the best.

Id be tempted to try the first pair but I honestly cannot imagine a shoe better than the nb1010
Weird seeing a man over 40 have his tastes dictated by what is cool in skating. Can’t skate the Etnies even though they skate the best because they don’t “look” cool.

Free hat

« Reply #636 on: May 25, 2024, 10:02:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Weird seeing a man over 40 have his tastes dictated by what is cool in skating. Can’t skate the Etnies even though they skate the best because they don’t “look” cool.

Even if a shoe skates well, if I don’t feel like myself with them on I won’t skate them. I think that’s what he meant. I hope that’s what he meant. I actually don’t know what he’s doing anymore. I like Ben and I’ve defended him in the past but he’s seemingly become a little arrogant talking about how he can get free shoes from anyone and rejecting ASICS for free shoes because he didn’t like the logo. Idk if this is taboo to talk about another YouTube dork but when you put your free spitfires in a cariuma box and then hold it up to your viewers like it’s peak irony you may need to have a little sit down with yourself.

frtzgn95

• Rep: 25
« Reply #637 on: May 25, 2024, 06:02:00 PM »
ben is a nice guy, he is just honest about his opinions and feelings. to be even more clear, he is not hiding a profit that he have, that's all.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1205
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #638 on: May 25, 2024, 06:26:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Even if a shoe skates well, if I don’t feel like myself with them on I won’t skate them. I think that’s what he meant. I hope that’s what he meant. I actually don’t know what he’s doing anymore. I like Ben and I’ve defended him in the past but he’s seemingly become a little arrogant talking about how he can get free shoes from anyone and rejecting ASICS for free shoes because he didn’t like the logo. Idk if this is taboo to talk about another YouTube dork but when you put your free spitfires in a cariuma box and then hold it up to your viewers like it’s peak irony you may need to have a little sit down with yourself.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 344
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #639 on: May 25, 2024, 06:35:36 PM »
It's unbelievable how much you guys are overthinking Ben Degros videos.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #640 on: May 25, 2024, 07:07:51 PM »
It's unbelievable how much you guys are overthinking Ben Degros videos.
is it really tho?

Free hat

« Reply #641 on: May 25, 2024, 07:45:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Saving that

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 650
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #642 on: May 26, 2024, 01:17:09 PM »
Oh well.

I like Jessup
I like Mob for rain setups
I like Ben's videos
I like Dad Board's videos

I don't like locusts and butter
IG: @flowterspace

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1144
« Reply #643 on: May 26, 2024, 02:22:50 PM »
@roba but but but but….what about venture 5.8s?!

as to Ben, and his videos: the quitting youtube, and several other youtuber moves are not great.
but, he skates how i’d like to skate. just the low impact/tech, decently well rounded, and clearly getting better.
i like the gear nerd talk, it is endlessly interesting to me, and he does it better than the others. Paul Schmitt seems like he’s trying to confuse me, and then most of the other folks are just either misinformed, ignorant, and/or lacking the abilities to articulate whatever their thoughts might be.
i do not agree with some of Mr Degros’ conclusions (effective wb, how he says certain shoes fit, as a few examples), but i really appreciate him taking the time to throw it out there.
i thought the shoe video with his daughter was cute. again, i didn’t really agree with some of his takes: i thought the army green/black asics vicka’s looked sick with those jeans, for me dunks skate good but i hate how they look. and i totally understood what i think his point was on the etnies: i had a setup of the 7.81 kelly green ah eagle, with 5.0 hi ventures, and 54s. it looked fucked. hideous. whenever the board ran away, as i was chasing it down and id just note how dumb it looked. at that point in my life (2015 ish) i could skate it better than other setups, but refused to do so because of how i hated the appearance. if skating competency was a job (i would be fired and hungry), then yeah, i guess i would have tried to get over the look. part of my skating fun is being stoked on the gear, too big of a part probably.

who else is speaking on skate gear, in a way that is interesting?
i’ve watched almost any setup video i can find. few years back there were a couple of ig accounts, long dead tho
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 03:44:50 PM by Ok »

CarcassToss

• Rep: 72
« Reply #644 on: May 26, 2024, 02:25:08 PM »
Doesn't like the Asics logo, which was designed to flow with the shoe, cool with the Etnies and Nike logos  ::)

thehogsniper

• Rep: 42
« Reply #645 on: May 26, 2024, 02:27:20 PM »

funny because in his vans review he said he's not skating as good as in those ave 2's. raved about them, said he kept skating better in those shoes. I guess the checks from etnies must have bounced.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1611
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #646 on: May 26, 2024, 06:41:46 PM »
Funny how it’s as if he’s just spewing whatever pops into his mind…….

Troubadour26

• Rep: 111
« Reply #647 on: May 26, 2024, 07:19:05 PM »
I’m here to chime in on the Jessup slander. What else do people skate? I’m not at the point of needing a “cool” grip tape (Pepper). Mob destroys shoes. Saying Jessup sucks is like saying Bones Reds suck. It does what it’s supposed to do.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2018
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #648 on: May 26, 2024, 07:36:28 PM »
I’m here to chime in on the Jessup slander. What else do people skate? I’m not at the point of needing a “cool” grip tape (Pepper). Mob destroys shoes. Saying Jessup sucks is like saying Bones Reds suck. It does what it’s supposed to do.

Jessup isn't bad but there are brands that do medium to medium-high grit griptape better. Jessup Ultra, Pepper and Mob M-80 (RIP) come to mind, they start out the same as Jessup and stay gritty 4-5 weeks in.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

CarcassToss

« Reply #649 on: May 26, 2024, 10:09:11 PM »
Pepper stays gritty and doesn't fray like Jessup. But not as gritty as Mob and easier to apply than Mob.

roba

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #650 on: May 27, 2024, 12:01:03 AM »
Jessup isn't bad but there are brands that do medium to medium-high grit griptape better. Jessup Ultra

@Ok  i love ventures, i just wish they didn't bend on me everytime, but that happened with every single truck i've skated and some were way worse (silver trucks lol). i was talking mostly about shoes when writing that first post. nbs are supposedly great but i can cop 3 pairs of used vans for the price and i find it hard to believe that one pair of 440s will outlast 3 skate vans.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 12:19:30 AM by roba »

ggrimmedd

• Rep: 26
« Reply #651 on: May 27, 2024, 03:55:39 AM »
Pepper stays gritty and doesn't fray like Jessup. But not as gritty as Mob and easier to apply than Mob.

This.

Mob seems the best for those who board lasts more than 1 month or those transition skaters who skate the same board all year long. For me mob stopped being an option when I dont flick my board that often, skate almost exclusively transition and my board lasts literally 1 month if im skating a lot, so jessup is my choice
:p

Filip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #652 on: May 27, 2024, 04:16:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This.

Mob seems the best for those who board lasts more than 1 month or those transition skaters who skate the same board all year long. For me mob stopped being an option when I dont flick my board that often, skate almost exclusively transition and my board lasts literally 1 month if im skating a lot, so jessup is my choice

I always ask for Souljah in my local. More grippy than Jessup (Jessup turns to shit after 2 sessions for me), a little less than Mob, and stays grippy for the 2-3 weeks I can make a board last.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 163
« Reply #653 on: May 27, 2024, 06:45:54 AM »
Dead dirty jessup is better than dead dirty mob
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

CarcassToss

« Reply #654 on: May 27, 2024, 08:04:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Jessup isn't bad but there are brands that do medium to medium-high grit griptape better. Jessup Ultra
[close]

@Ok  i love ventures, i just wish they didn't bend on me everytime, but that happened with every single truck i've skated and some were way worse (silver trucks lol). i was talking mostly about shoes when writing that first post. nbs are supposedly great but i can cop 3 pairs of used vans for the price and i find it hard to believe that one pair of 440s will outlast 3 skate vans.

The good thing about being an adult with a job is that skate shoes at normal or sale price aren't expensive. A pair of 440s outlasts all Vans vulcs for me and definitely the shitty thin Vans cups (haven't tried the new ones).

But what does this have to do with Ben?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #655 on: May 27, 2024, 08:20:08 AM »
jessup is the least abrasive at 80 grit
shake junt and everything else is probably in between
mob is 70 grit / most abrasive

CarcassToss

« Reply #656 on: May 27, 2024, 04:41:21 PM »
When I was a kid this local ripper would get adhesive backed 60 grit sand paper and put a big strip right over his front bolts and claimed it helped him really suck up his Ollie's and flip tricks. I'm still waiting for some skate company to monetize the shit out of this idea.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1042
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #657 on: May 27, 2024, 05:22:51 PM »
Expand Quote
The people shitting on Ben I can almost guarantee do not have 3 kids and have no clue what that would be like. I wish I had a statistic but like often times once there is one child even in the mix your skating is down to a minimum. The guys who are hating I guarantee would pack it up if they were in remotely same situation
[close]

No one gives a fuck about his kids. He’s just gotten played out and corny. All of the setup madness stuff was kinda dumb too, but there’s an audience for that. He “quits” YT then is immediately back shilling for Vans. Support your family sure, but his whole schtick has gotten really tired.

I’ll stick with Tom Asta, Brad Cromer, and Figgy for my skater-YT content.

Asta's content is great...and it proved he's not bald/receding under that hat.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #658 on: May 28, 2024, 10:16:43 AM »
Damn, complaining that Ben Degros does the same tricks and doesn't skate cutty street spots is kinda crazy.

Dude is in his 40s with a deep and consistent bag

If its not for you its not for you but I certainly don't see anyone whining about it here being even remotely as good as he is

Free hat

« Reply #659 on: May 31, 2024, 01:29:34 AM »
seems like a fine chap all around. Loved that bit at the end about why he does it.

https://youtu.be/4hSGnivBaPs?si=fRdpmFbhG3EKeBZS