Author Topic: Skating related evolutionary benefits  (Read 2074 times)

Newphone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -530
Skating related evolutionary benefits
« on: December 21, 2022, 11:53:03 AM »
Nyjah claims that he’s never broken a bone because he took so much impact when he was young that his bones are more dense (on Steve os podcast).   Anyone else noticing any bionic-man-like benefits from their skating? I feel like I can weave through a crowd better than before, finding little lines of pedestrian openings when walking, but not not much else.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

Re: Skating related evolutionary benefits
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 11:57:49 AM »
Interesting... I've heard impact can be good for bone density but it won't last for ever...

The best evolutionary gain as far as I can tell is knowing how to fall. I see regular citizens getting hurt really bad slipping, falling, tripping when doing day to day shit, while we are almost cat like in our ability to instinctively ease our way through a trip, slip or fall. And we can take some pain if that doesn't work out...

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2022, 12:02:50 PM »
Interesting... I've heard impact can be good for bone density but it won't last for ever...

The best evolutionary gain as far as I can tell is knowing how to fall. I see regular citizens getting hurt really bad slipping, falling, tripping when doing day to day shit, while we are almost cat like in our ability to instinctively ease our way through a trip, slip or fall. And we can take some pain if that doesn't work out...
100% on that one

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -75
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2022, 12:04:18 PM »

You know what? I've been skating off and on for like 30 years and I still can't fucking fall properly.
I just eat shit, I'm completely incapable of rolling out of a wreck. I don't know if it has something to do with being 6'4 and having a really high center of gravity? I just slam into the ground like a 175lb bag of shit.

I guess I've gained the ability to shrug off pain and keep going.
If this were boxing I'd have terrible head movement and defense, but a granite chin.

Paulie Gualtieri

• Rep: -10
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2022, 04:04:16 PM »
skateboarding probably stunts your growth. Explains why a large chunk of pros are short kings

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 351
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2022, 04:25:05 PM »
skateboarding probably stunts your growth. Explains why a large chunk of pros are short kings

I think the reason why so many pros are short is because it's easier to skate when your center of gravity is lower, so the taller you get the more unlikely it is that you will be good at skating

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2022, 05:15:15 PM »
From a reproductive fitness standpoint of evolution, skateboarding will get you laid (depending on its popularity at the time of reading this statement).
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1129
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2022, 05:59:58 PM »
Made me really good at giving the FINGER to authority!
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2022, 06:03:04 PM »

Yeah people in 2020 being like “I’m starting to think not all these cops are good guys…” was pretty amusing.

skippersoldballs

• Rep: 72
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2022, 06:26:58 PM »
From a reproductive fitness standpoint of evolution, skateboarding will get you laid (depending on its popularity at the time of reading this statement).
Must not be popular right now in my neck of the woods

cwilks88

• Rep: -1
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2022, 07:45:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think the reason why so many pros are short is because it's easier to skate when your center of gravity is lower, so the taller you get the more unlikely it is that you will be good at skating
agreed, gymnastics is similar. Cody Mac reminds me of a college gymnast bro for some reason.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 874
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2022, 08:34:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
agreed, gymnastics is similar. Cody Mac reminds me of a college gymnast bro for some reason.
There's also the other side where if your larger than average and coordinated you're constantly being pulled into other organised sports (at least in my experience) whereas small mates just got to hang out and skate all day.
As far as stunting your growth I'm not sure about that I skated since I was about 13 and I'm the same size as James harden

skippersoldballs

• Rep: 72
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2022, 01:17:16 PM »
The social aspect is pretty awesome. Can go almost anywhere and make lasting friendships

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2022, 01:23:31 PM »
Split second balance in slippery situations. 
Skate Fam connections.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2022, 01:42:05 PM »
Knees that bend inward on impact like Reynolds

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 388
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2022, 01:50:32 PM »

On top of that, 'skater reflexes' are definitely a thing. I'm not gonna dodge a punch to the dome but I will catch anything before it falls off the table.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2022, 02:18:58 PM »

Spot on

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2022, 02:34:49 PM »
Able to fuel hours of physical activity with coffee and a pastry
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2022, 02:38:33 PM »
- Skate reflexes, glass grab
- Bail ability, lean in shoulder roll
- Wide angle lens, visual surroundings hyper awareness
- Global community, fellowship
- Pain tolerance
- Esoteric knowledge, language of its own
- Perseverance, amount of effort needed for success
- Survivor skills, skateboarding is a crime
- Viewing the urban landscape as a playground
- No other feeling like cruising on a skateboard or catching air either via an Ollie or off a ramp

djoekr

• Rep: 324
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2022, 02:43:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
On top of that, 'skater reflexes' are definitely a thing. I'm not gonna dodge a punch to the dome but I will catch anything before it falls off the table.

Yoo, what's up Rudy Johnson?
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2022, 02:46:10 PM »
Griptape resistent thumb.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

muntcuscle

• Rep: 44
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2022, 04:36:28 PM »
increased liver enzyme production

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3387
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2022, 05:06:14 PM »

U bad boi!

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 117
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2022, 05:21:26 PM »
Knowing what pair of pants to wear in any given situation

EllingtonBigspin

• Rep: -19
  • Hipster Holocaust
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2022, 06:31:25 PM »

Spot on 👌🏽👌🏽😂
Pavement Pirate on the Outskirts of Life Hopping Over Fences and violating Public Property

EllingtonBigspin

• Rep: -19
  • Hipster Holocaust
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2022, 06:40:45 PM »
It takes next level skills to zip through a busy street with heaps of cars and people while baked as fuck, listening to black sabbath full blast In your head phones. Having to watch out for clippers on the ground, people trying to knock u off ur board and cars coming out of nowhere.
It’s a suicide mission that you become at tune with, broadening your reflexes and reaction time
It’s like a perfectly orchestrated kamikaze

Pavement Pirate on the Outskirts of Life Hopping Over Fences and violating Public Property

greenbeans

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2022, 06:43:50 PM »
Reflex and coordination skills improve from skating

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2022, 08:24:54 PM »
Able to fuel hours of physical activity with coffee and a pastry

Yeah I trip on this, I don't drink coffee, but I can skate or go to work all day off like nothing (food-wise that is). As long as I'm drinking water I'm pretty much fine.

I don't know that it's a good thing, but it's a thing...
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -413
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2022, 08:29:08 PM »
It takes next level skills to zip through a busy street with heaps of cars and people while baked as fuck, listening to black sabbath full blast In your head phones. Having to watch out for clippers on the ground, people trying to knock u off ur board and cars coming out of nowhere.
It’s a suicide mission that you become at tune with, broadening your reflexes and reaction time
It’s like a perfectly orchestrated kamikaze

You are going to die, bare minimum take the headphones out

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 654
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2022, 11:05:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

U bad boi!

How can someone with such amazing natural features create strong strong feelings of disgust? I'm amazed at how well she fits the stereotype of someone from just off the 401 in the middle of no where Ontario. Very strong Oshawa vibes coming from her.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?