Author Topic: When/why/how did you stop liking your "favorite" company?  (Read 9919 times)

Pipe Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
Re: When/why/how did you stop liking your "favorite" company?
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2022, 09:46:32 AM »
Blueprint 2.0 was a tragic.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 411
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2022, 11:52:49 AM »
still unclear if Popwar was cool or not. looking back at it, im still unsure!

Popwar was awesome. Even towards the end, the brought on Justin Strubing and Jack Sabback and I was excited to see what their video was going to be like. That's one of. the most upsetting missing pieces in skating.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2022, 12:29:59 PM »
I’m talking Middle School I just watched “The End” for the first time vibes; I loved Birdhouse.

Especially the cartoon character decks, my friend had the Willy Santos Frog deck if that rings a bell for anyone. Yep those bright colors hooked me.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 105
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2022, 03:57:40 PM »
Blitz Distribution *Birdhouse, Hook-Ups, Flip, Baker and Fury Trucks* was really untouchable in the late 90s-early2000s. From the skaters to the videos and art direction, they really had a stranglehold in that era. It's really a damn shame how much of shell of former selves other than Jeremy Klein with Hook Ups, they've all become.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

c-dock

• Rep: 16
  • Lurker
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2022, 05:56:00 PM »
eS when they made their 2014 comeback, which is ironic because I had spent the previous year hoping they would come back. Their shoe designs and seemingly shittier insoles in the rereleased shoes is what lost me, but their new baggy denim is decent.

Girl/Lakai: No idea exactly why I lost interest, but stopped skating their boards shortly after Pretty Sweet and their videos lost my attention shortly after as well

Wouldn't say I "dislike" either company now, but they've definitely lost my attention for the most part. Fourstar was cool bring that shit back for real no collab only bs

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2003
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2022, 09:56:39 PM »
Expand Quote
still unclear if Popwar was cool or not. looking back at it, im still unsure!
[close]

Popwar was awesome. Even towards the end, the brought on Justin Strubing and Jack Sabback and I was excited to see what their video was going to be like. That's one of. the most upsetting missing pieces in skating.

At 1 point they had Raymond Molinar and Ricky Oyola (I think) on too, then it just went tits up.

The rebooted version was sad and shitty.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

IpathCats

« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2022, 11:02:54 PM »
Es when they made their comeback.

Lakai when they started acting like the xlk was a legit cupsole

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1450
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2023, 05:22:34 AM »
DC when they stopped making the Lynx. Now they make it, but not in my size.

Lakai when everyone left and they started putting out dogshit quality shoes that fell apart while walking.

eS was a long time coming, but especially after the reboot. The recent re-issues (Koston, Penny, MJ, Muska) look good in product pics, but they’re all shit quality and fit funny.

Craig got weird after Pretty Sweet. Chocolate was still cool for a bit (especially with Jerry), but now they have an inescapable rapey vibe.

Flip was the quickest fall from grace. After the Boulala incident, Arto left, then the little kid takeover and Extremely Sorry. Several of my all-time favorites are still on the team, but they’ll never be cool again.

Baker is the only company I like just as much now as I did when they came out. I’ve always had lukewarm feelings about Zero.

theoriginalgoon

• Rep: -68
  • eight equals d
« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2023, 05:35:19 AM »
Used to fuck with girl and chocolate heavy up to about until a little after lakai released fully flared. After that they all were just doing the same boring shit but more washed and with the evolution of Ty’s dogshit filming didn’t help. Now it just seems like a bunch of old dudes having a midlife crisis.
Me: I found skate Jesus.

Slap: Yeah, well maybe if he does the crucifix switch I will believe it.

Banned from the room

« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2023, 08:05:58 AM »
It hurts too much to talk of the sovereign sect and what has become of the blands.

There's no way anything can be that dope and mainstream at the same time again.

Also zoo. Once Rick was gone I knew it was over for zoo.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2023, 10:18:17 AM »
Somewhere in the mid-to-late-2000’s it became difficult for me to remain stoked on Toy Machine after a decade plus of being a Loyal Pawn™️
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 142
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2023, 07:08:18 PM »
I never stopped liking 101.
That's the good thing about dying young, you don't have a chance to fuckup a legacy.
Natas, Koston, Gino, Dill, Clyde, Marcus, Gabriel, Andy Stone. McNatt, yes, but he was sick when he was on.
Damn near perfect everything.
Yes. So glad 101 avoided World and bLind’s fate. It was such an amazing company; their videos (SNUFF being my favorite) were brilliant because they were all under 10 minutes. May have seemed like a bit of rip-off at first, but quality and brevity hit really hard.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

No Wave Comply

« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2023, 07:12:03 PM »
OG Stereo. It was never the same right after Tin Can Folklore. The revival might have worked if it was through Deluxe, but it wasn’t and it was really lacking. Shocked they’re still around.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2023, 07:48:03 PM »
Stereo in 1999 with the cartoon graphics, Dustin Dollin, Shane Heyl, and no Jason Lee was bad. Not even Pete Eldridge or JR Neves could save it for me.

It was somewhat good again in ‘08 with Molinar, Fairfax, Shimizu, and Supa, but it’ll never be what it was from ‘93-97.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2023, 07:49:03 PM »
Trunk Boyz and Gino leaving changed how I viewed Chocolate.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2023, 07:51:37 PM »
American Dream Inc. leaving Deluxe and changing its name to AD Unit made me lose interest.

They were untouchable on Deluxe with Harold, Jimmy Chung, Mike Hernandez, and Jahmal.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2003
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #106 on: January 01, 2023, 08:39:05 PM »
It hurts too much to talk of the sovereign sect and what has become of the blands.

Mindfield AWS was took the super team mantle from Lakai after FF, then crashed hard when they put Dyrdek's brand on everything. Even though he saved the brand from the brink of collapse they've yet to reach the same relevance of the 90s and 00s.

Mid 2000s era Zoo was a husk of itself, at least the team was getting paid with that Ecko money.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

No Wave Comply

« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2023, 04:26:06 AM »
I liked silly Foundation when Josh Beagle frolicked with Heatch. later when it became darkhaired handrail heshers, wasn't as interesting.
Illuminati was a great name but Silverstar was not.
Underworld Element was one of the grittiest, rawest companies out there. Pulaski beatdowns, gold teeth Pepe making out, Lil Stevie playing with dice. Then it became (of the world) Element and in Zumies next to Billabong.
Totally. I was also a fan and ”silly” an apt description of Foundation during that Superconductor Supercollider-Tentacles of Destruction-Rolling Thunder era when Heath Kirchart was Josh Beagle’s (more talented) sidekick and had yet to complete puberty. Steve Olson and Frank Hirata were rad and goofy too, but never liked Steve Berra. I wasn’t interested when they transitioned into the Art Bars/That’s Life era either; although Daniel Shimizu was great. I was an Ethan Fowler during his Stereo years, but not when he got on Foundation and went full-on “Indie Rock Hipster” with fur-lined coats, striped shirts, and dyed black hair for some reason.

Another couple of great things about Underworld Element was that they initially had Julien Stranger (which was very odd in hindsight) and they put out those Hip-Hop logo rip-off boards (Cypress Hall, Pang Starr, Slick Rick Ibaseta). It really pushed the East Coast at a time when there very few East Coast brands.

stupidfuckface

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2023, 04:59:58 AM »
Plus, skypager was the best..

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2023, 05:10:25 AM »
Crailtap when they switched to using the cheapest wood they could find.
 I bought Marianos first board after his comeback and it was so bad i didnt buy another crailtap board until the recent factory change.

sle_epy

• Rep: -95
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2023, 08:09:42 AM »
DC when they stopped making the Lynx. Now they make it, but not in my size.

Lakai when everyone left and they started putting out dogshit quality shoes that fell apart while walking.

eS was a long time coming, but especially after the reboot. The recent re-issues (Koston, Penny, MJ, Muska) look good in product pics, but they’re all shit quality and fit funny.

Craig got weird after Pretty Sweet. Chocolate was still cool for a bit (especially with Jerry), but now they have an inescapable rapey vibe.

Flip was the quickest fall from grace. After the Boulala incident, Arto left, then the little kid takeover and Extremely Sorry. Several of my all-time favorites are still on the team, but they’ll never be cool again.

Baker is the only company I like just as much now as I did when they came out. I’ve always had lukewarm feelings about Zero.

They reissued the muska's recently? Did I miss something? Koston "reissue" was super wack imo. I was told they still had all the original molds so it's a shame they fit funny. Seems odd if they had the molds.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 707
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #111 on: January 02, 2023, 08:53:27 AM »
Definitely eS for me. The company is a complete sham and their shoes are just terrible. I've tried to like them after they came back from their hiatus, but everything about them just disappoints me. Tom Asta, Wade and TJ are fantastic skaters and some of my favorites, but even that isn't enough to keep interest in the brand at all. The new shoes they come out with are terrible and the remakes have copycat soles from other models or are worse-looking models than the ones they emulated. Not to mention the Accel OG is a completely terribly redesigned and stripped version of the original.

Es and Emerica were 2 of my favorite brands for sure. I just started liking Lakai and iPath more towards 2004... then all 4 of those brands just got really bad by 2007. i think doug brown sucks too, i liked sole tech more before i knew who ran it.

rewind a bit further, i fucking LOVED GLOBE shoes early on, mostly because I loved Danny Gonzales. he was my favorite skater and his shoe was my 2nd pro model shoe i ever got (my first ever skate shoe was a Frank Hirata DUKES from the bargain bin that was probably 3+ yrs old. man those things were GAS!!!) I believe it was once i saw PJ Ladd WHL i made the switch over to Accel's and never went back to robot shoes ever again.

Fury Trucks was my go-to trucks for many years. I cant relaly remember why i switched to indy, was probably just because i saw so many pros riding them. i did have indy early on though in 1999. then indy became my favorite trucks for like 15 years from 2005-2020. then i found out about Ace and Thunder and I just like those companies a bit more.

Toy Machine I liked less the more i kinda learned about ed he just seems a bit creepy to me and not cool. also i dont like how you dont know where the board was made, this bugs me about a lot of brands, they are made in all different woodshops. it was always one of my favorite companies growing up and boards were always solid until some point in 2010s maybe.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1602
« Reply #112 on: January 02, 2023, 09:31:09 AM »
I rode a bunch of sets of furys too……it got to the point where I realized I was furious and I had to change…

HisNameIsntWarren

• Rep: 49
« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2023, 10:20:08 AM »
Y’all remember when Shorty’s and Osiris just ruled the skate world? That was a wild ride. I was die hard Shorty’s from the jump. Can’t think of another company that had such an impact from the very inception. Once they put out Guilty I was like, ya I’m out.

Osiris’ fall from grace was more subtle tho. I blame them on issuing out only bulky potatoes after The Storm. Chad’s Scheme shoe was pretty cool tho. Where the fuck are they at these days tho? They got their insta hacked and just called it a day?

As everyone else said, Flip was my jam until they phoned in Really Sorry and I started to slowly realize Penny was over it. Fuck them for not putting any Rune in that video. Strange time.

Welcome to the OC bitch! This is how it’s done in Orange County.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2023, 10:32:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Mindfield AWS was took the super team mantle from Lakai after FF, then crashed hard when they put Dyrdek's brand on everything. Even though he saved the brand from the brink of collapse they've yet to reach the same relevance of the 90s and 00s.

Mid 2000s era Zoo was a husk of itself, at least the team was getting paid with that Ecko money.

Agree.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

No Wave Comply

« Reply #115 on: January 02, 2023, 11:32:13 AM »
American Dream Inc. leaving Deluxe and changing its name to AD Unit made me lose interest.

They were untouchable on Deluxe with Harold, Jimmy Chung, Mike Hernandez, and Jahmal.

Yeah, American Dream Incorporated was an interesting company and really contributed to one of the best eras of Deluxe. I had their ads on my wall in high school for sure, although I never had a chance to get one of their boards.

HiResDes

• Rep: -39
« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2023, 11:35:32 AM »
Enjoi when Jerry left : (

...I still wish they'd release one last Tiltmode video

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: January 02, 2023, 03:57:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, American Dream Incorporated was an interesting company and really contributed to one of the best eras of Deluxe. I had their ads on my wall in high school for sure, although I never had a chance to get one of their boards.

I had a chance to get Harold’s ODB deck and I didn’t, which I highly regret.

FUBAR

• Rep: 247
« Reply #118 on: January 02, 2023, 04:53:15 PM »
I came back to skating in 2018 and Flip & Plan B were total garbage. So right about then.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #119 on: January 02, 2023, 09:58:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The American Dream Inc. had such a sick design aesthetic. Same with Metropolitan.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."