Author Topic: How long does your gear last?  (Read 2961 times)

camel filters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: How long does your gear last?
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2022, 05:54:30 AM »
Damn, skating must become an expensive hobby when you get a new deck and shoes once every 6 weeks. I don't know how you guys are going through decks that fast unless you're all jumping down stairs and gaps like you're 18.
If I'm gonna waste my time skateboarding, I want to waste it skating at my highest potential. New boards and shoes especially really do make it easier to do tricks for me. I try to reach a balance point between the two tho and stretch a board as long as it still feels good. Skating is still relatively cheap when compared to golf or snowboarding or something like that. I guess cheaper hobbies are also out there but thats how i justify it in my mind.

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2022, 06:04:42 AM »
i wonder how long gear "last"  average relates to where people are located too.
buying new gear in the US is like almost half the price of gear in Europe. while Japan and Australia will pay like 3 times as much for gear.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2022, 06:20:45 AM »
buying new gear in the US is like almost half the price of gear in Europe. while Japan and Australia will pay like 3 times as much for gear.

Location matters based on location due to the environment you skate, too. Midwest crust eats shit up pretty quick. Those overseas prices are murder.

I almost never buy anything full price and have a skate credit card that I put shoes and decks on. I make biweekly payments of like 15 bucks and it's paid off by the time I buy something new. That way I'm staying fresh for what feels like less.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -291
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2022, 08:02:11 AM »
Boards - about a month, longer during winter
Shoes - about two months
Trucks - until I can’t get the axle nut on anymore
Wheels - a couple of months

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2022, 11:34:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Damn, skating must become an expensive hobby when you get a new deck and shoes once every 6 weeks. I don't know how you guys are going through decks that fast unless you're all jumping down stairs and gaps like you're 18.
[close]

See "Sale Gear Thread" for tips on how to maintain a supposed expensive hobby at an affordable rate hahah!

To be honest, scoring some gear at record low $ was a foresight investment: stack of boards and a stack of shoes to skate through bought at 50-70% of made it less expensive.  Also easier to swap earlier than probably necessary. I do my best to ride all parts to dust though

Personally, I have a large bag of flip tricks and i tend to do a handful of them every skate session I have (warm up and cool down). Each session I push myself to land all of these to feel satisfied:
-kickflip
-fakie flip
-varial flip
-tre flip
-backside bigspin
-backside flip
-fakie tre flip
-half cab flip
-switch heel
-caballerial

If I'm feeling a flat ground week or a tech ledge week trying flip in or flip outs, then the boards and shoes can get toast pretty fast, even now at 28 and skating less often then 10 years ago.

I'm sure there are others that have to do certain tricks each session to keep them or feel happy and all that wear adds up quickly.

I am like that too, but my bag is shallow. However, I skate everyday and need to do several kickflips (over manhole, over tiny curb, down large curb, up regular curb), three halfway decent heelflips, and one decent fakie heel (alongside a plethora of less board consuming pop shoves and 180s).

Heelflips are the bane of my existence and take the most time of the session. I often primo and that‘s where my boards get chipped quickly. They become asymetrical and after 4-6 weeks I usually have to get rid of them. I pass some of them on to my nephew and godson so they get another lease of life, but they would not be of much use to anybody who skates seriously. Dudes even ask me why I keep riding them as long as I do because they look so battered.

Also skating in the winter with wet/frozen ground my board tends to feel heavy/waterlogged quickly.

I tend to skate better on a fresh board (not a fresh shape) so I try to pick up multiple identical boards at a time when they are on sale, provided they are suitable to my taste.

As for shoes I found out shoe goo does not extend the life of a shoe drastically so I stopped using it. I just skate them until there are holes, then move on. I skate Busenitzes and they are regularly on sale in some strange colorways so I pick those up.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2022, 08:04:14 PM »

I gotta cut out stuff like new clothes and deodorant lol. I just double down on soap.

The impossible kills all my boards. Gumby tail. When 7.75s was standard I stopped doing the trick so much especially down shit.

That's how you go though 3 boards a week. I had to quit doing real tricks for 12 years over baby boards. That I couldn't afford.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

pops

• Rep: 220
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2023, 03:09:32 AM »
Setup usually lasts around a year at least. I skate mostly transition and cruise around the streets so my trucks, wheels and grip wear down the most, deck not so much.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 72
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2023, 02:42:51 PM »
The Sale Gear Thread ruined me. I just set up a new deck today cause I got tired of looking at the Toy Machine graphic on my last one. I skate twice a week but was injured between Nov-Dec. So I got like two months from the deck, could’ve stretched it out to Spring.

I have a few FA decks I want to try that I got for $30 each during that crazy sale. So I may start switching them out every month just cause (and give the old ones away).

Trucks: Forever
Wheels: 6 Months
Bearings: Forever
Shoes: 3 months (I lose traction before I put holes in them).

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2023, 02:45:12 PM »

I almost never buy anything full price and have a skate credit card that I put shoes and decks on. I make biweekly payments of like 15 bucks and it's paid off by the time I buy something new. That way I'm staying fresh for what feels like less.

That's actually a great idea
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2023, 10:41:31 PM »
I have thought about this. I will start to recycle gear: once the decks are chipped I will rebuild them with liquid wood, regrip them if necessary (I have many of those free shop grips) and use them as curb and eventually as  rain set ups.

I will run an 8.38 on 144s on my street/flip set up, and my used 8.5s on 149s on the curb/rain set ups, as I have two sets of 149s, one is down to the axle (this will go on the rain set up) and one still good as new (for dry slappy sessions). I will run Spit 52s on all set ups, but on the rain set up it will be 25 year old wheels.

So ideally, a deck will have three stages of life: Street decks as long as it is crisp and unchipped, then as curb board and eventually as rain board.

How does that sound?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 85
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2023, 09:04:22 AM »
I just wish it was easier to pass along shoes. Old hardgoods it’s easy to find a kid with a messed up setup I can pass old gear to but I always feel guilty throwing out a pit of shoes even if they’re destroyed but I don’t want to give a kid a pair of old sweaty shoes at the park. Makes me skate shoes well past their useable stage into almost dangerous territory

OhioGuy

• Rep: 72
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2023, 01:05:50 PM »
I just wish it was easier to pass along shoes. Old hardgoods it’s easy to find a kid with a messed up setup I can pass old gear to but I always feel guilty throwing out a pit of shoes even if they’re destroyed but I don’t want to give a kid a pair of old sweaty shoes at the park. Makes me skate shoes well past their useable stage into almost dangerous territory
Totally. It’s tough for me too cause I wear a size 13. Can’t even sale em lol

Cesspool86

• Rep: 55
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2023, 01:30:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
If I'm gonna waste my time skateboarding, I want to waste it skating at my highest potential. New boards and shoes especially really do make it easier to do tricks for me. I try to reach a balance point between the two tho and stretch a board as long as it still feels good. Skating is still relatively cheap when compared to golf or snowboarding or something like that. I guess cheaper hobbies are also out there but thats how i justify it in my mind.

I feel you on that. I also tell myself that I work too hard to skate something I'm not stoked on.  Also at 36 years young I'm trying to give myself all the advantages that come with a crispy set up

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2023, 03:10:56 PM »

Unhoused people will dig em. every pair i put in a transient spot is gone within a few hours.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2023, 04:10:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Unhoused people will dig em. every pair i put in a transient spot is gone within a few hours.

Yeah, I've noticed that as well with old shoes & shirts (washed before dropping off) that I've left in areas with local transients/homeless. I've definitely seen some of them around the area wearing shoes or a shirt I dropped off shortly after. Stoked they didn't just sell for cash/drugs right away like some might. And if that's what they end up doing, so be it, since it's theirs at that point.

Anyone else currently on a mission to not buy any new skate gear and wear through everything you currently have?
I haven't bought shoes since Dec 17. 2022 and am working to maintain that alongside skating/selling/donating current pairs to reduce my covid deal sale purchases. Gotta get rid of the bloat at some point! With that, I'm noticing again how long I can actually skate on a deck/trucks/shoes/etc before I need to replace. Some of my averages I posted last year have extended recently since I've been skating less due to life and playing soccer more.
Super Champion Fun Zone

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 85
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2023, 06:02:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Super good point thank you so much for the suggestion :)

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2023, 03:52:41 AM »
Deck about a month, if I like it alot I’ll strech it to about 6 weeks. I never break em, but I like them pretty crispy.
Shoes maybe 2 months
Wheels go when they’re sub 50mm
Trucks get bent or broken in about 3 years.
New set of Swiss every 2-4 years.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2023, 11:59:48 AM »
Anyone else swap trucks from front to back when you hit axle? I was hitting axle toe side back truck, swapped em from front to back. Not worried about axle on heel side front truck at all so its like ive got a new set thats already broken in

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2023, 12:09:24 PM »
Anyone else swap trucks from front to back when you hit axle? I was hitting axle toe side back truck, swapped em from front to back. Not worried about axle on heel side front truck at all so its like ive got a new set thats already broken in
Yup, always. I usually hit axle first back truck heel side from fs grinds on coping. When I was younger I always tried to swap from front to back everytime I set up new board,to keep that wear even as possible.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2023, 02:42:38 PM »
Hey for you blazer wearers out there, im moving thru my first pair. Leather, not suede, mids. Been putting in 2-3 hrs at the skate park 3x a week for the past 4 or 5 weeks. Wearing em as my all the time shoes as well.

They’re holding up pretty nicely, at least compared to half cabs. Foxing is still glued in place. Starting to show wear on pushing sole. But the outer layer of the ollie spot is getting pretty work thru to the fabric inside. Next week will probably be hitting socks.

Is this about standard wear and tear for this shoe? Overall, they are still supportive, collar hasnt torn or mushed out. Soles are good to walk in etc

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 191
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2023, 03:16:50 PM »
I ride most of my gear for about as long as possible

Deck - 2months if I'm skating the smoothest park in town, probably closer to 1mo if I'm doing more street or at the rough park
Trucks - basically until there's no hangar material, 1-2 years
Wheels - once I notice they're getting small, like idk, 50-51mm - starting at 54mm they're usually good half a year if I'm skating the same set-up
Bearings - Run em till they die, then replace with spares, never paid attention to how often
Shoes - 3 months if I'm lucky, start getting soggy around 2 months tho

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2023, 01:38:37 AM »

true true..frm where i'm from, branded import boards are expensive. local brands (chinese pressed boards) are cheaper.blank boards, blank trucks, blank grip and blank bearings are the go to for kids here.