Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 177428 times)

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #690 on: February 12, 2023, 07:16:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Pro skateboarding is on the verge of being dead in the next 5 or so years.
[close]

Why?

- it doesn't seem like theres a vanguard of up and comers that will replace the current pros
- there's less and less videos that seem monumental, it seems like that number is dwindling year after year partly because videos have been deprioritized and they are expensive to make
- the content pro skaters/companies produce seems to increasingly lack strict editing or have a point of view
- potentially sponsored skaters are less likely to accept being paid so little as part of being AM unless they are already rich or have family in the business
- the pay pro skaters get now doesn't seem to be keeping up with inflation

I think skateboarding itself is as strong as ever and will not die but the part of the skate industry that sponsors skaters seems to be in a bad spot as far as talent selection and money. seems like more companies will implode and nothing will replace them.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #691 on: February 12, 2023, 07:21:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Trucks don't need to be 55mm high. Indy's were better for the short period of time they were lower.

Also wider boards often make for sloppier, shittier looking skating. With more surface area to land on it seems for some there is more of a lever/swerve effect. Nothing looks shittier than a short, stubby, wide board ridden by someone with Big Boys.
[close]

I initially felt attacked, but remembered that my skating was never stellar to begin with.
[close]

Completely disagree. Cory Kennedy and Chico skate huge boards and look great doing so.

I think both can be true.  It’s similar to fashion: some people can just pull off a riskier look that most other people can’t.  You really have to know what you’re doing to skate a huge board with wobbly trucks while still keeping all your tricks crispy.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

IpathCats

« Reply #692 on: February 12, 2023, 07:34:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Why?
[close]

- it doesn't seem like theres a vanguard of up and comers that will replace the current pros
- there's less and less videos that seem monumental, it seems like that number is dwindling year after year partly because videos have been deprioritized and they are expensive to make
- the content pro skaters/companies produce seems to increasingly lack strict editing or have a point of view
- potentially sponsored skaters are less likely to accept being paid so little as part of being AM unless they are already rich or have family in the business

I think skateboarding itself is as strong as ever and will not die but the part of the skate industry that sponsors skaters seems to be in a bad spot as far as talent selection and money. seems like more companies will implode and nothing will replace them.

Disagree. The east coast, and Europe is fuckin killing it right now.

At the very least Gustav and oski deserve to be mentioned with the greats.

Cyrus, Nik Stain, hjalte, shin, plenty of people putting out stuff that I genuinely get excited about before watching.

manysnakes

« Reply #693 on: February 12, 2023, 07:43:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Why?
[close]

Most of these arguments are just various ways of saying "skateboarding is different now than it used to be." None of it means that professional skateboarding is dying. It seems that you're conflating large changes to the established order of the business with its imminent death.

elegant_fox

« Reply #694 on: February 12, 2023, 07:53:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Why?
[close]

Would you say it's the decentralization of skateboarding with the print magazines/channels/California becoming a smaller part of the cultural exporters? Kinda like the shift from records stores to spotify. Maybe the status of a pro is less relevant or viable for marketing in the day of Instagram and TikTok.

I don't know enough about to industry side of things to have a great take, but it doesn't seem like there's a Tony Hawk II in the wings. Maybe Nyjah as the last superstar pro? idk

boogs

« Reply #695 on: February 12, 2023, 07:57:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Why?
[close]

the world is a vampire

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 130
« Reply #696 on: February 12, 2023, 08:05:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Why?
[close]

Good points. Another thing is that being pro now is being sort of good enough at skating as long as you have a memorable image. Case in point, Hockey has a strong image as a brand, cool aesthetic. But Hockey X had a lot of subpar skating from all the pros with only Joseph Campos and Diego Todd really trying to live up to anything. It’s like everyone else knows what they can get away with.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -417
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #697 on: February 12, 2023, 08:12:03 AM »
I’ve said it once before and I’ll say it again, street skating is the best it’s ever been and it’s not even close.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 873
« Reply #698 on: February 12, 2023, 08:27:07 AM »
I’ve said it once before and I’ll say it again, street skating is the best it’s ever been and it’s not even close.
Other than the bpsw era which will divide the room by opinion has street skating ever gotten worse as time went on?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #699 on: February 12, 2023, 11:27:18 AM »
I think it’s a lot more diverse and varied, so if you want to find something you like…it’s there for you….more importantly if you want to find something to make you unhappy there is an endless supply of it. 

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
« Reply #700 on: February 12, 2023, 11:40:54 AM »
Ace are an ugly rip off truck and people who ride them lack taste.
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #701 on: February 12, 2023, 12:01:24 PM »
Ishod should have been 2x SOTY not Tyshawn

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 629
« Reply #702 on: February 12, 2023, 12:11:22 PM »

Ishod going for it again would be incredible. I want that footage.
Probably a popular opinion.
But what you wrote is weird. Ishod definitely wouldn't have deserved it last year, so how does that relate to Tyshawn?

bigbevev

• Rep: -14
« Reply #703 on: February 12, 2023, 12:17:12 PM »

What should we ride?

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
« Reply #704 on: February 12, 2023, 12:28:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ishod going for it again would be incredible. I want that footage.
Probably a popular opinion.
But what you wrote is weird. Ishod definitely wouldn't have deserved it last year, so how does that relate to Tyshawn?

Dude thinks tyshawn is the only guy to get soty twice

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #705 on: February 12, 2023, 12:35:13 PM »
It’s of the year too……SOTY…such a lightning rod topic…..l

Acid Drop

• Everyone sucks but me
« Reply #706 on: February 12, 2023, 12:38:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What should we ride?

Whatever works for you. :)
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1390
« Reply #707 on: February 12, 2023, 12:38:33 PM »
I like Violet

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -417
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #708 on: February 12, 2023, 12:50:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Other than the bpsw era which will divide the room by opinion has street skating ever gotten worse as time went on?
People have always gotten more skilled but street skating’s nadir was railchomping tight pants era of early-mid 2000s, would rather watch mid 90s footage than that shit. I’m including fits/aesthetics/trick selection/spot selection as a metric though.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2261
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #709 on: February 12, 2023, 01:54:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What should we ride?
Obvs, something WITH a modicum of taste, that is NOT an ugly rip off.
Best of luck finding that same turn in anything else, though.
Sincerely yours,
-Tastelessly Turning

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

OneMore

• Rep: -3
« Reply #710 on: February 12, 2023, 02:19:16 PM »
You should ride Thunders  8)

bigbevev

• Rep: -14
« Reply #711 on: February 12, 2023, 02:47:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

What should we ride?
[close]

Gotcha, aces.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #712 on: February 12, 2023, 03:03:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
People have always gotten more skilled but street skating’s nadir was railchomping tight pants era of early-mid 2000s, would rather watch mid 90s footage than that shit. I’m including fits/aesthetics/trick selection/spot selection as a metric though.
I like the tight pants, the railchomping was dumb. The big camo pants late 90s were kinda lame too. Right now is definitely the best era.

Acid Drop

• Everyone sucks but me
« Reply #713 on: February 12, 2023, 03:06:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

What should we ride?
[close]

[close]

Gotcha, aces.

USA made Independent are the best. I remember being incredibly drunk one night, in the bushes, outside the front of the house where we were partying. A guy walks pasts, sees me, stops and proceeds to ask if I am okay. I assured him I was okay by saying "Ace" and giving him the A-okay hand gesture. I told my friend later and he thought it was funny. The lesson is drink responsibly and don't over do it.

IpathCats

« Reply #714 on: February 13, 2023, 06:11:27 AM »

manysnakes

« Reply #715 on: February 13, 2023, 06:32:19 AM »

Ace is the only attractive truck on the market.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 130
« Reply #716 on: February 13, 2023, 08:38:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Does having truck madness make you some kind of horny truck slut? I seem loyal to Indy with Ace as a bit of a side piece.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #717 on: February 13, 2023, 08:45:10 AM »
As someone who has truck madness….I have no loyalties….only my kooky ever changing narrative…..

manysnakes

« Reply #718 on: February 13, 2023, 08:52:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Does having truck madness make you some kind of horny truck slut? I seem loyal to Indy with Ace as a bit of a side piece.

I don't have truck madness..? I have one skateboard I actually ride and it has Ace Trucks on it. I also have a cruiser with some old Indy 149s which I found at a thrift store.

I just think the Ace has the most slim, unique and interesting truck profile.

IpathCats

« Reply #719 on: February 13, 2023, 09:08:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I don't have truck madness..? I have one skateboard I actually ride and it has Ace Trucks on it. I also have a cruiser with some old Indy 149s which I found at a thrift store.

I just think the Ace has the most slim, unique and interesting truck profile.

They look nice. I especially like the look of them when paired with bigger, more square wheels.