Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 178770 times)

Jawn Gyatti

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1470 on: April 27, 2023, 10:24:14 AM »
Not that I’m happy about it but Aaron Kyro got more people into skateboarding than Tony Hawk

Source?

manysnakes

« Reply #1471 on: April 27, 2023, 10:27:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Not that I’m happy about it but Aaron Kyro got more people into skateboarding than Tony Hawk
[close]

Source?

We've got a deboonker on our hands.

roll_dog

« Reply #1472 on: April 27, 2023, 10:27:05 AM »
Oh here we go…..hotter take…,no one cares whether or not anyone is wearing a helmet….except people who wear helmets….
Not sure if you are being willfully ignorant but I've seen legit vitriol spewed on here about helmet footage. Don't act like it's not a taboo thing in skateboarding, come on now.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #1473 on: April 27, 2023, 10:40:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Oh here we go…..hotter take…,no one cares whether or not anyone is wearing a helmet….except people who wear helmets….
[close]
Not sure if you are being willfully ignorant but I've seen legit vitriol spewed on here about helmet footage. Don't act like it's not a taboo thing in skateboarding, come on now.

Footage is a slightly different story.  But opinions come from all angles in skating.  I feel like if you are just out skating and wearing a helmet, no one will care.  If anything, wearing a helmet if you’re as clumsy as I can be is just being more self aware.  If you’re pursuing any level of skating beyond recreational and you’re bummed for getting hate on your helmet, you probably shouldn’t be sharing your footy so widely.

roll_dog

« Reply #1474 on: April 27, 2023, 11:05:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Footage is a slightly different story.  But opinions come from all angles in skating.  I feel like if you are just out skating and wearing a helmet, no one will care.  If anything, wearing a helmet if you’re as clumsy as I can be is just being more self aware.  If you’re pursuing any level of skating beyond recreational and you’re bummed for getting hate on your helmet, you probably shouldn’t be sharing your footy so widely.

So we've come full circle then, from "no one cares if you wear a helmet what are you 12" to "don't share footage if you are wearing a helmet". Which is the point I'm trying to make, it's frowned upon, please quit pretending it's not lol.

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #1475 on: April 27, 2023, 11:29:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

So we've come full circle then, from "no one cares if you wear a helmet what are you 12" to "don't share footage if you are wearing a helmet". Which is the point I'm trying to make, it's frowned upon, please quit pretending it's not lol.

That’s not quite what I was saying…

If you don’t expect to get hate from some people for your helmet footy, you probably have another thing coming.

Andy Anderson wears a helmet and knows people don’t like it, but it’s part of his identity to not care what people say and do his thing, he’s probably aiming to change some people’s minds along the way.

But not all skating needs to be recorded.  It’s often way more fun to just skate for the fun of it.  I think that’s what people meant when they were laughing at their 12 year old mindset on helmets, footage wasn’t part of that equation.

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1476 on: April 27, 2023, 11:49:04 AM »
Crack your skull or go home
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1597
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1477 on: April 27, 2023, 11:55:55 AM »
It’s not fair that && has to carry the weight of the world on his sweaty shoulders…….

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #1478 on: April 27, 2023, 12:00:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

To be fair, many people on here unironically say a skater's footage is unwatchable if their pants aren't the right amount of baggy. They don't just hate on helmets, they hate on literally everything that doesn't perfectly align with their own preferences. I wouldn't think twice about what else those people frown upon.

Do you get hate in real life for wearing a helmet? If so, I'm sorry that's happening to you. I seriously doubt anyone would even comment on the helmet if you posted a clip in the "post you skating" thread. Pals are quite welcoming there.

roll_dog

« Reply #1479 on: April 27, 2023, 12:07:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

To be fair, many people on here unironically say a skater's footage is unwatchable if their pants aren't the right amount of baggy. They don't just hate on helmets, they hate on literally everything that doesn't perfectly align with their own preferences. I wouldn't think twice about what else those people frown upon.

Do you get hate in real life for wearing a helmet? If so, I'm sorry that's happening to you. I seriously doubt anyone would even comment on the helmet if you posted a clip in the "post you skating" thread. Pals are quite welcoming there.

Nah, it's not so much about me, I wear my helmet and don't really care, I've gotten the occasional cool guy vibe but I could get that from wearing the wrong clothes like you said or anything else. I'm really talking about the overall culture in skateboarding. Think about how many kids/adolescents out there that feel peer pressure that adults don't etc.

I just feel like skateboarding has progressed a lot in terms of inclusivity, different scenes and approaches, but rocking a helmet isn't quite there yet, it's still relegated to fringe stuff like Andy Anderson or YouTube influencer types. And what we are finding out about how bad head injuries are for you, maybe skateboarding should warm up to helmet wearing a little bit.

Anyway that's my take and I'll shut up now. I'll try to gather some helmeted footage for the post you skating thread at some point.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1953
« Reply #1480 on: April 27, 2023, 12:10:45 PM »
"accepting" and "liking" aren't the same thing. I don't like helmet footage but that doesn't mean I think people wearing helmets should stop.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1481 on: April 27, 2023, 12:11:14 PM »
It’s not fair that && has to carry the weight of the world on his sweaty shoulders…….

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #1482 on: April 27, 2023, 12:20:09 PM »
gonz wears a helmet when he skates a bowl

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #1483 on: April 27, 2023, 12:51:12 PM »
I wish that thread that guy made about meeting Andy Anderson and him being like 'yo dude can you not film me?' was still up. That shit was so funny. The helmet cause could go a lot further if Andy anderson wasn't the face of it. I wear a helmet when I skate big transition and I really want to learn new shit. I'm also aware that drawing some arbitrary line like 'i only wear helmets when I skate big transition' is stupid because you can hit your head just as hard skating a curb or mini ramp.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1001
  • the moon rules
« Reply #1484 on: April 27, 2023, 01:36:52 PM »
Helmets and pads make learning transition tricks exponentially easier. It gives you the confidence boost to commit sooner. I've been skating street with a single eblowpad and my life has gotten much better

"pads are cool too"-Darren Naverette
fuck you bama

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #1485 on: April 27, 2023, 02:08:32 PM »
I wear a helmet at parks. Personally I like that it makes me look like a noob so I don’t feel as self conscious at the park. I’m not going to wear one to skate curbs though- that’s like wearing a helmet to go jogging. Feels excessive.

adam22savage

• Rep: -45
« Reply #1486 on: April 27, 2023, 02:29:24 PM »
helmets are mostly unnecessary except maybe for vert and that Dolores hillbomb. people are all the time crashing head on that jawn. heavyhitters like Phelps even as well as no name old farts who almost took a board to the head while rolling.
carnage asada.

switchfakie

« Reply #1487 on: May 01, 2023, 04:46:18 PM »
helmets are mostly unnecessary except maybe for vert and that Dolores hillbomb. people are all the time crashing head on that jawn. heavyhitters like Phelps even as well as no name old farts who almost took a board to the head while rolling.
carnage asada.

Phelps was no heavy hitter

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
« Reply #1488 on: May 01, 2023, 05:00:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This right here.  I wear a helmet and no one but me ever even brings it up.

NERD ALERT
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
« Reply #1489 on: May 01, 2023, 05:06:37 PM »
I usually just skate with tampons up my nose
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1597
« Reply #1490 on: May 01, 2023, 05:37:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

This right here.  I wear a helmet and no one but me ever even brings it up.
[close]

NERD ALERT

I was kinda an asshole about this which people who wear helmets don’t really need.  Why culturally it’s not accepted is a valid question….

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #1491 on: May 01, 2023, 05:46:59 PM »
Profile reveal:  I’m George P.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 876
« Reply #1492 on: May 01, 2023, 08:53:58 PM »
If sls is anything to go by (let's just pretend it is) the wrist guard will be completely normal by the end of the year. Then it's just time before the helmet follows.

switchfakie

« Reply #1493 on: May 02, 2023, 04:12:29 AM »
If sls is anything to go by (let's just pretend it is) the wrist guard will be completely normal by the end of the year. Then it's just time before the helmet follows.

Hey man, I back wrist guards as long as they’re not in video parts

having a broken scaphoid is fuckin terrible & you need your hands a lot for braking your fall for stairs/drops

If a pro hasn’t ever broken/fractured that shit & are pre-emptively wearing it, I agree that’s wack

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1494 on: May 02, 2023, 04:53:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

having a broken scaphoid is fuckin terrible & you need your hands a lot for braking your fall for stairs/drops

If a pro hasn’t ever broken/fractured that shit & are pre-emptively wearing it, I agree that’s wack
I'm not saying it's wack at all. I actually had an absolutely fucked scaphoid that took years to heal if there were wrist guards like they have today available 15 years ago I'd prob have been wearing them

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #1495 on: May 02, 2023, 08:47:11 AM »
doubt this is unpopular just wanted to shoot a rant. vans needs to ditch the leather jazz stripe especially on skate models. the stitch/embroidered stripe looks better and doesnt start flapping around after a session or two

switchfakie

« Reply #1496 on: May 02, 2023, 03:47:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I'm not saying it's wack at all. I actually had an absolutely fucked scaphoid that took years to heal if there were wrist guards like they have today available 15 years ago I'd prob have been wearing them

o word mb

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1497 on: May 04, 2023, 07:59:06 PM »
jordan thackray is slept on. there should be more coverage of the UK transition scene instead of the constant creature, madness AH hellride ism. a lot more variations in styles and tricks and spots over there

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 339
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1498 on: May 04, 2023, 08:19:56 PM »
No one looks good skating in New Balance shoes.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1499 on: May 04, 2023, 08:40:33 PM »
Counter unpopular opinion: new balance has the best shoe logo in all of skateboarding. Not even saying it's good but literally every other logo that's on the side of a skate shoe is worse. The vans stripe is kinda okish but everything else is equal to the cariuma logo