Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 177414 times)

PatrickSkateman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2100 on: July 18, 2023, 09:18:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Billy/James/Darcy/Matt > Kurt/Kris/Dave/(Pat)
[close]
hard to imagine Nirvana's sound lasting for another album or two, they'd kinda exhausted their formula
[close]

Agreed completely. Nirvana was completely out of steam by the time Kurt died and I think this was probably a part of his spiral.
[close]

I'm not a big nirvana fan but in the two years after Nevermind they put out Unplugged and In Utero.

A career that was three studio album-run that had as much impact as the beatles did, and maybe the best live album of all time? It's not like their last album was an electro-prog experimental mess or anything

Or worse… turn into the Foo Fighters. 😂
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

lurkluke

• Rep: 195
« Reply #2101 on: July 18, 2023, 09:23:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
hard to imagine Nirvana's sound lasting for another album or two, they'd kinda exhausted their formula
[close]

Agreed completely. Nirvana was completely out of steam by the time Kurt died and I think this was probably a part of his spiral.
[close]

I'm not a big nirvana fan but in the two years after Nevermind they put out Unplugged and In Utero.

A career that was three studio album-run that had as much impact as the beatles did, and maybe the best live album of all time? It's not like their last album was an electro-prog experimental mess or anything
[close]

Getting mad thinking that someone has probably already made an AI-Kurt Cobain version of Everlong

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -417
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2102 on: July 18, 2023, 11:11:07 PM »
Parking blocks suck and blow simultaneously, worst things ever. They’re way too short to feel like you’re actually doing a trick, randomly will put you into feeble or some weird shit way more often than a curb, if they’re buttery you can literally just fly over the top doing a 50 50, and if you’re stupid enough to try to actually do the whole thing you can hang up with your back truck and fucking die (did that twice in a row one time it was bananas, in front of people too.) They’re fun to fuck around with for a minute but they’re wildly overrated overall. Obviously an amazing addition to bank spots though

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2103 on: July 19, 2023, 05:07:23 AM »
Chuck Pahlaniuk and Irvine Welsh are purveyors of modern day doggerel and their novels aren’t good at all.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -75
« Reply #2104 on: July 19, 2023, 05:10:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Agreed, Nirvana was completely out of steam by the time Kurt died and I think this was probably a part of his spiral.

Nirvana wasn't out of steam, Kurt was out of steam.
I don't mean creatively though, I'm sure he had decades of good songs in him.
Unfortunately, the source of a lot of those great songs would have been the mental anguish he was going through.
I just think there's an important distinction between that and "they'd exhausted their formula"
I don't believe that Kurt was the kind of songwriter that would rest on his laurels and phone in formulaic albums.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2105 on: July 19, 2023, 05:15:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Agreed, Nirvana was completely out of steam by the time Kurt died and I think this was probably a part of his spiral.
[close]

Unfortunately, the source of a lot of those great songs would have been the mental anguish he was going through.
I just think there's an important distinction between that and "they'd exhausted their formula"
I don't believe that Kurt was the kind of songwriter that would rest on his laurels and phone in formulaic albums.

If Kurt would’ve seen his Rock N Roll HoF induction ceremony cover performances, I’m convinced he would’ve only liked Kim Gordon’s Aneurysm cover.

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #2106 on: July 19, 2023, 05:42:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

The Foo Fighters are the most generic, bland... they're so dry. They're the musical equivalent of putting unsalted rice cakes between two slices of white bread.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #2107 on: July 19, 2023, 05:44:42 AM »
If you run a board brand and don't put the dims or woodshop in your item description you don't deserve my business. "7 plies of north American maple" thanks man I thought it was gonna be eleven plies of Douglas fir thanks for illuminating me bro
Probably because so many people are fucking bozos when it comes to judging decks. Like they'll buy a new board, accidentally ram it into the corner of a concrete ledge on the first day and then spend the next 25 years walking around saying "nah don't buy Baker decks, they delam too easily". I think board companies are sceptical to share woodshop info as it might associate them with 'other' boards that people might not like.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2108 on: July 19, 2023, 05:55:56 AM »
Real videos have lately been using some terrible music.

I quite liked the 90s punk vibe of that Red Bull VX comp edit recently, felt like I was watching a Logic video

I thought this was the "2023" unpopular opinion thread, not 1968.

No one will want to remember any of those bands in 20 years.

Might as well be hyping up Bing Crosby and Billie Holliday.

Do y'all listen to anything from 2023? or do we collectively all know it sucks?

Sorry are you saying nobody will remember Nirvana or the Beatles in 20 years?
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -322
« Reply #2109 on: July 19, 2023, 06:08:32 AM »
Covers of Beatles songs tend to be better than the original version IMO. Same with Bob Dylan.

Nirvana, meh. Led Zepplin, meh. Once you’ve them for the 100th time in the grocery store it just doesn’t hit the same.

Weededed

• Rep: 222
  • I never needed it..
« Reply #2110 on: July 19, 2023, 07:36:09 AM »

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #2111 on: July 19, 2023, 07:56:37 AM »
Billy Corgan occupies an odd space for me. Conspiracy kook, but also loves wrestling and is an excellent story teller. Fantastic guitar player, but overstayed his artistic welcome musically speaking.

He’s hard to classify, and it’s easy to say where exactly he should have stopped.

His best is great, and anything lesser is mid. I prefer him to Kurt/Nirvana, but he’s another case of outliving his own mystique.
He is easy to classify, he was a cornball suburban wanna be hipster who dreamed of making music like Kevin Shields but wasn't talented or unique.

manysnakes

« Reply #2112 on: July 19, 2023, 08:03:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Yeah, I agree. This is more articulate way of saying what I was getting at.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #2113 on: July 19, 2023, 08:05:23 AM »
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?board=6.0

UNPOPULAR OPINIONS THREAD - MUSIC EDITION:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=114604.0

THANK YOU.
I'm sick and tired of y'all's arbitrary and often wrong opinions on music. I demand more arbitrary and often wrong opinions on skateboarding!

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #2115 on: July 19, 2023, 08:51:30 AM »
I don’t like carne asada fries.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2116 on: July 19, 2023, 09:11:05 AM »
Living Single was funnier than Friends and it wasn’t even close.

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 289
« Reply #2117 on: July 19, 2023, 09:22:59 AM »
Living Single was funnier than Friends and it wasn’t even close.
90s Kim Fields/Regine was more dreamy than anyone on Friends and should have had a 90s haircut named after her.

manuduncan

• Rep: 28
« Reply #2118 on: July 19, 2023, 09:47:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I agree. This is more articulate way of saying what I was getting at.

agree to both, michael stipe has said that right before kurt died, they had expressed mutual interest in working with each other so that's a direction that kurt may have explored

i fucking hate rem but i would have loved to hear what a rem inspired kurt would come up with

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #2119 on: July 19, 2023, 09:51:01 AM »
I don’t like carne asada fries.

fries and mexican food...never really understood that one

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #2120 on: July 19, 2023, 09:55:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Man, Beatles and Nirvana sucks.

Im not the rock head, but these bands are overrated..how white you most be to love them.
[close]

I must admit that I find The Beatles' music less appealing to my taste. They suck. On the other hand, I believe Nirvana's music is okay and holds up well over time. Recently, after not listening to them for over a decade or more, I had the pleasure of experiencing Nirvana's "Unplugged In New York," on viynl and it was a real treat.So hip. I may not be a big fan of The Beatles, but I do make an exception for "Help," largely influenced by Rodney Mullen. What are you guys even talking about? lol
[close]

Im hip hop head, but I prefer Hole over Nirvana, maybe cause I assiciated it so much with Appleyard and others skatevideos.

But about Beatles I think they have no sauce, just easy chorus and polished image.
Jeez Louise I would NEVER ADMIT THIS EVER…….

That Appletard part was ruined by including the 2 worst songs EVER!!!!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
« Reply #2121 on: July 19, 2023, 10:01:17 AM »
The bath water is gone….and I’ve always hated babies…..

Chamber music or bust…..

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 629
« Reply #2122 on: July 19, 2023, 10:09:49 AM »
The james webb space telescope has recently found the first evidence of so called "dark stars" (outside of US mall shops).
I'd be kinda hyped on a darkstar comeback

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -75
« Reply #2123 on: July 19, 2023, 10:10:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Im not the rock head, but these bands are overrated..how white you most be to love them.
[close]

I must admit that I find The Beatles' music less appealing to my taste. They suck. On the other hand, I believe Nirvana's music is okay and holds up well over time. Recently, after not listening to them for over a decade or more, I had the pleasure of experiencing Nirvana's "Unplugged In New York," on viynl and it was a real treat.So hip. I may not be a big fan of The Beatles, but I do make an exception for "Help," largely influenced by Rodney Mullen. What are you guys even talking about? lol
[close]

Im hip hop head, but I prefer Hole over Nirvana, maybe cause I assiciated it so much with Appleyard and others skatevideos.

But about Beatles I think they have no sauce, just easy chorus and polished image.
[close]

Violet is a banger.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #2124 on: July 19, 2023, 10:19:36 AM »
The james webb space telescope has recently found the first evidence of so called "dark stars" (outside of US mall shops).
I'd be kinda hyped on a darkstar comeback

hope's dwindling

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
« Reply #2125 on: July 19, 2023, 10:31:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Violet is a banger.
5:05
Miss you Rusty Berings

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2126 on: July 19, 2023, 11:32:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Violet is a banger.

Whole album is excellent

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -417
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2127 on: July 19, 2023, 11:51:48 AM »
Yeah I don’t understand why people didn’t like that song for appleyards part. It’s a sick song and it fit the part great. Is it because everybody hated on Courtney love like crazy during the 90s or something?

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2128 on: July 19, 2023, 01:43:01 PM »
Lil Wayne is the new Jesus

His survival of an alleged overdose qualifies for a resurrection from death in my books.

All hail.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #2129 on: July 19, 2023, 02:16:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Lil Wayne is the new Jesus
[close]

His survival of an alleged overdose qualifies for a resurrection from death in my books.

All hail.
He also survived accidentally shooting himsef so he’s like double Jesus