Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 177383 times)

The night listener

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -163
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2280 on: August 04, 2023, 11:05:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Katt Williams is the greatest standup of all time. Yeah there are more “important” guys who broke ground all that shit blah blah blah Katt Williams is funnier in his interviews than they are in their specials. One of the greatest Americans of all time.
[close]

This is my true Katt Williams story: Iwas working as an entry-level sound engineer for a post production studio probably back in 2008. Katt was there working on some movie (would not be able to remember the name of it if my life depended on it) and was there late one night doing color correction or something in one of the video rooms. I was working nights at the time and was using the restroom and someone came in and scolded me loudly in the funniest way for basically stinking the room all to hell. He was like, "OH MAN why you have to destroy the environment like this? GOOD GOD what did you eat?" I was just coming out to the stall and saw it was Mr. Williams. He gave me the funniest look and laughed and I laughed back. I’ve thought fondly of him since.

Fucking legendary dude 😆

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #2281 on: August 04, 2023, 01:06:26 PM »
Hockey is modern day Zero with a less skilled team.
Oooof

that’s a bold statement,  what era or video would you say they’re; Mislead youth or Dying to Live?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2282 on: August 04, 2023, 01:33:07 PM »
Hockey peaked with Hockey III maybe, would hope Jake Anderson ends up there and breathes some fire into them versus being on FA

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2283 on: August 04, 2023, 02:04:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Oooof

that’s a bold statement,  what era or video would you say they’re; Mislead youth or Dying to Live?

Misled Youth for sure.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2261
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2284 on: August 04, 2023, 02:10:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Oooof

that’s a bold statement…
It is now.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

gsosa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #2285 on: August 04, 2023, 03:59:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You gotta skate both your feet to be a real one.
[close]
I have a friend, where if he’s cruising around the city he switches between regular/mongo and switch pushing. And when I asked him why he cruised like that he says “works out both my legs”
[close]

The dream
[close]

Big benefit from starting out pushing mongo. Switch pushes come really naturally, although i can't push mongo in either stance anymore, feels too awkward.
[close]
  Same for me. Been telling my friends what you said about pushing switch too, I can't do it Mongo. Also, for me, when I realized that Mongo was not acceptable,  it took me a good month or so to get comfortable pushing with my back foot, it was basically the equivalent to learning a trick.

Yeah I learned to push switch a couple of years ago and it definitely was like learning to ride a skateboard all over again. To be able to actually push switch and do shit in a natural looking way is one of the hardest tricks in itself. I feel pushing switch mongo is kinda wack, unless the person can actually do it with authority and style a la Tiago, Kalis etc. There are dudes who do crazy switch shit but once they push it looks like they are just learning to skate in their driveway.

switchfakie

« Reply #2286 on: August 04, 2023, 05:16:43 PM »
Hockey peaked with Hockey III maybe, would hope Jake Anderson ends up there and breathes some fire into them versus being on FA

I want a jake Anderson board on my wall asap

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
« Reply #2287 on: August 04, 2023, 05:20:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
I have a friend, where if he’s cruising around the city he switches between regular/mongo and switch pushing. And when I asked him why he cruised like that he says “works out both my legs”
[close]

The dream
[close]

Big benefit from starting out pushing mongo. Switch pushes come really naturally, although i can't push mongo in either stance anymore, feels too awkward.
[close]
  Same for me. Been telling my friends what you said about pushing switch too, I can't do it Mongo. Also, for me, when I realized that Mongo was not acceptable,  it took me a good month or so to get comfortable pushing with my back foot, it was basically the equivalent to learning a trick.
[close]

Also like writing (or attempting to write) with your opposite hand.

Eric D pushes with both….it’s called the jog……I typed this with my left….

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 112
« Reply #2288 on: August 04, 2023, 05:26:52 PM »

FA needs more fire breathed into them than Hockey imo. Joe campos is a much better fit and is one of the most exciting ams out there

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #2289 on: August 05, 2023, 08:46:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

The dream
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah I learned to push switch a couple of years ago and it definitely was like learning to ride a skateboard all over again. To be able to actually push switch and do shit in a natural looking way is one of the hardest tricks in itself. I feel pushing switch mongo is kinda wack, unless the person can actually do it with authority and style a la Tiago, Kalis etc. There are dudes who do crazy switch shit but once they push it looks like they are just learning to skate in their driveway.
My switch push isn’t great but I definitely prefer it over swongo. Its ugly but I never trip over my feet

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #2290 on: August 05, 2023, 08:47:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Oooof

[close]

Misled Youth for sure.
Rewatched Misled Youth definitely recognize they’ve got balls of mithril compared to Hockey especially Adrian Lopez beginning part.

Hockey does have it’s few talented guys John Fitzgerald and Pabich but their edge and filmer definitely can’t hold a candle to Zero in their prime.

Veggie.Wav

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2291 on: August 05, 2023, 10:01:11 AM »
Katt Williams is the greatest standup of all time. Yeah there are more “important” guys who broke ground all that shit blah blah blah Katt Williams is funnier in his interviews than they are in their specials. One of the greatest Americans of all time.

Respectfully fuck no. His first 3 specials were the same reused bits. He's funny in general but greatest stand up? Norm Macdonald, Bill Burr, George Carlin, Paul Mooney, Anthony Jesslenik, Eddie Murphy. So many more.
my ass is stink

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #2292 on: August 05, 2023, 08:08:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Respectfully fuck no. His first 3 specials were the same reused bits. He's funny in general but greatest stand up? Norm Macdonald, Bill Burr, George Carlin, Paul Mooney, Anthony Jesslenik, Eddie Murphy. So many more.

I hate that Louis CK effectively took himself out of this conversation. I’m not complaining he was “cancelled”, just that I’m pissed off I have to picture his stupid red face jerking off to chicks who weren’t interested.

I’m sort of torn on his show basically disappearing because I don’t think he needs the money but it was a singular, often brilliant thing.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2293 on: August 05, 2023, 08:23:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I hate that Louis CK effectively took himself out of this conversation. I’m not complaining he was “cancelled”, just that I’m pissed off I have to picture his stupid red face jerking off to chicks who weren’t interested.

I’m sort of torn on his show basically disappearing because I don’t think he needs the money but it was a singular, often brilliant thing.

I skated past Louis CK walking with his daughters at Astor Place ten years or so ago.

I thought his show and his role in Parks and Rec were great, but I wasn’t that big on his standup. There’s an unpopular opinion right there.

Unpopular opinion 2: Jim Gaffigan and Mitch Hedberg belong on that list above.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

A Not At All Naughty Chemist

• Rep: 52
« Reply #2294 on: August 06, 2023, 12:37:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I skated past Louis CK walking with his daughters at Astor Place ten years or so ago.

I thought his show and his role in Parks and Rec were great, but I wasn’t that big on his standup. There’s an unpopular opinion right there.

Unpopular opinion 2: Jim Gaffigan and Mitch Hedberg belong on that list above.

for me, it's steven wright

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2295 on: August 06, 2023, 03:40:36 PM »
Over 30, no tats, tarps off…..looks weird…..

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #2296 on: August 07, 2023, 06:02:19 AM »
Deklines were actually really good. They felt sturdy and didn’t get blown out or flimsy in a few sessions.

KyleG

« Reply #2297 on: August 07, 2023, 06:40:56 AM »
Innovation won't happen in terms of skate "tech" because most skateboarders can't afford to pay more.

Nothing wrong with that but stuff like libtech were charging $200 per board, which is stupid.

manysnakes

« Reply #2298 on: August 07, 2023, 08:07:38 AM »
Innovation won't happen in terms of skate "tech" because most skateboarders can't afford to pay more.

Nothing wrong with that but stuff like libtech were charging $200 per board, which is stupid.

There's always a fundamental misunderstanding with these thing premised on the idea that most skateboarders actually want their decks to last a long time. Nobody wants to snap a deck on the first session, but also skaters seem quite happy to be buying a new deck every month or so, even if they sometimes pretend otherwise.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1124
« Reply #2299 on: August 07, 2023, 08:12:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

There's always a fundamental misunderstanding with these thing premised on the idea that most skateboarders actually want their decks to last a long time. Nobody wants to snap a deck on the first session, but also skaters seem quite happy to be buying a new deck every month or so, even if they sometimes pretend otherwise.

if they somehow made an unbreakable, unchipable, and un-razor-tail-able deck, maple deck, that was still $65-$75 id still probably buy a new board every other month.

Dante Bichette

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 51
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #2300 on: August 07, 2023, 08:13:52 AM »
Deck tech peaked with Almost

Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 130
« Reply #2301 on: August 07, 2023, 09:15:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Oooof

[close]

Misled Youth for sure.
[close]
Rewatched Misled Youth definitely recognize they’ve got balls of mithril compared to Hockey especially Adrian Lopez beginning part.

Hockey does have it’s few talented guys John Fitzgerald and Pabich but their edge and filmer definitely can’t hold a candle to Zero in their prime.

Roman Pabich is on Uma Landsleds.

Diego Todd and Joe Campos carried Hockey X on their backs.

skatebruh

• Rep: 32
« Reply #2302 on: August 07, 2023, 12:43:32 PM »
They will never make decks last longer. Planned obsolescence is too good for business.

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • the moon rules
« Reply #2303 on: August 07, 2023, 01:07:32 PM »
Deklines were actually really good. They felt sturdy and didn’t get blown out or flimsy in a few sessions.
They had some weird internal spring/compression thing in the vulc sole; either that or I'm talking out of my ass there. My buddy was on their flow team before becoming a sales rep for them. He gave me a few pairs to try out and they were actually really good for the time. Kind of kooky to wear, but really comfortable. I also got some white leather Circa Combat vulcs about a year before they introduced the Circa Combat line and those were also really good. They might even be in the top 10 best skate shoes I've ever had list  :-[
fuck you bama

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -75
« Reply #2304 on: August 07, 2023, 01:10:22 PM »
They will never make decks last longer. Planned obsolescence is too good for business.

I mean, it's wood that's whole job is being stomped on and scraped on concrete, not much planning goes into that obsolescence.
Also, a lot of folks in the core scene relentlessly mock any company that tries to implement new technologies.

Either way, the VX deck I just swapped out lasted close to 3x longer than standard decks last me.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2305 on: August 07, 2023, 02:05:49 PM »
Those boards got nothing on my ability to razor tail….

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #2306 on: August 07, 2023, 03:12:07 PM »
Counterpoint- they don’t actually make much money on decks. Would probably be better off if they sold you one deck that last six months so you have more money to buy their tshirts.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2307 on: August 07, 2023, 03:35:40 PM »
Neen was wrong. Oil the grill, start on the no-skin side, flip after ~5 minutes.

lurkluke

• Rep: 195
« Reply #2308 on: August 07, 2023, 03:45:27 PM »
Neen was wrong. Oil the grill, start on the no-skin side, flip after ~5 minutes.

without knowing what you're directly referring to, I hate timed recipes for grilling meats etc. Every grill is different, every piece of meat is different.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2309 on: August 07, 2023, 03:51:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

without knowing what you're directly referring to, I hate timed recipes for grilling meats etc. Every grill is different, every piece of meat is different.

Salmon. But now I’m thinking I should have wrote 3 minutes.