Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 177452 times)

Steely Daniel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2400 on: August 14, 2023, 08:28:23 AM »
Almost feels like there could be some kind of correlation between the last two posts above me.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2401 on: August 14, 2023, 08:32:25 AM »
Transworld sucked and anyone claiming to be disappointed by its demise is a liar. It brought nothing to the table.

Thrasher: Raw, gnarly skateboarding
Skateboarder: Focus on writing and presentation
SLAP: Covered art and skateboarding
Big Brother: Silly and provocative
The Skateboard Mag: Focus on photography

How did Transworld differentiate itself in this sea of options? Annual product issues? Being squeaky clean? It offered no reason for its existence besides its legacy.

(Yes I know all of these magazines didn’t exist at the same time, and my descriptions above are pretty generalized, but at the risk of making this post too long my point still stands).

Pasta Monster

« Reply #2402 on: August 14, 2023, 08:39:57 AM »
Transworld sucked and anyone claiming to be disappointed by its demise is a liar. It brought nothing to the table.
Sight Unseen is one of my favorite videos. The vids they released were decent, but I really hated the talking before the actual footage. I don’t know how people managed to listen to the ramblings of semi-literate pros, but are so annoyed by Mark Sucui.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 178
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2403 on: August 14, 2023, 08:42:03 AM »
I was specifically talking about the magazine, but yes I should mention their video output was great at times. Fair is fair.

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 240
  • often correct
« Reply #2404 on: August 14, 2023, 08:45:39 AM »

How did Transworld differentiate itself in this sea of options? Annual product issues? Being squeaky clean? It offered no reason for its existence besides its legacy.

(Yes I know all of these magazines didn’t exist at the same time, and my descriptions above are pretty generalized, but at the risk of making this post too long my point still stands).
obviously everything they did in the 90s and the videos (up to a period) were great, but i started skating in 2003 and within a few years i already felt i was too "old" for transworld, by that point the skaters they featured and their regular columns/design choices felt mostly aimed towards kids, not to mention the awful ads (deodorant? oscar meyer? the fucking military?) were offputting and constant turnover between staff and owners was apparent. none of these magazines were perfect (maybe the skateboard mag for a few years) but to claim "we failed transworld" when they couldn't keep up with the competition of the time feels silly

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #2405 on: August 14, 2023, 08:47:27 AM »
I was specifically talking about the magazine, but yes I should mention their video output was great at times. Fair is fair.
Tony Hawks "Beyond" feature was always good.  TWS also had better interviews than Thrasher in an era when pros were a lot weirder/more interesting (Gonz, Blender).

changed1

« Reply #2406 on: August 14, 2023, 08:48:06 AM »

411s? Uno?
Trippin

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #2407 on: August 14, 2023, 08:49:15 AM »

Kind of agree. It was more like Sports Illustrated than a skate magazine

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 785
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #2408 on: August 14, 2023, 09:12:48 AM »
75% of the GX1000 team act like Mark Suciu when they go home to their parents at Thanksgiving.
The music in the background of the GX1000 apartment when they’re discussing which hill to bomb:

nothing's been the since same

JamesFardy

• Rep: 66
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2409 on: August 14, 2023, 10:24:56 AM »
I could make fun of mark by saying he went to college and then you could make fun of me by saying your mom went to college and both of us would feel like we had won and would both be correct.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #2410 on: August 14, 2023, 10:36:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Surf rock is cooler than any skate-related music subgenre
[close]
This is true
[close]

Most bands that include skateboarders are not good. Bad shit is a very fitting name for that band. Warish and Harsh Toke are ok and not too offensive.

I recently had the displeasure of seeing Allen Losi's band One Less Zero because a mutual friend had some free tickets and my wife and I had nothing better to do. Would not recommend. It was cool talking to / hanging out with Losi though. He's a really nice guy.

I do like Grand Scheme though. I'm sure there are other decent bands with skateboarders that I just can't think of at the moment.
[close]
FIDLAR is fucking rad and I would loosely consider the Spits a skate punk band so there’s some stuff out there. I think the problem is that skate punk is just punk where surf rock is really its own sort of thing.
[close]
The Suicide Machines

As a fifth grader I was really into Op Ivy and that punk/ska sound.   I still can’t believe my parents and school had no issue with the big white-out Suicide Machines I wrote on my Jansport.   

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
« Reply #2411 on: August 14, 2023, 10:37:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Transworld was a much thicker magazine with more iconic interviews like the Koston and Mariano interviews in the same magazine.

They also had much better in terms of photography and created way more in solid video content. Everything from dreams of children through duets was A+.

Thrasher was garbage from ‘95 through the mid 00’s and nobody wore their shirts.

Big Brother killed it with the Brown and Yellow issues thought.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #2412 on: August 14, 2023, 10:48:23 AM »

I feel like people gloss over how shitty Thrasher was at various points, coasting along on its image. Extremely low-effort tour articles with lots of "edgy" copy about partying making some attempt to cover over how unproductive the skating was. Lots of pages wasted on concert/band stuff that always felt half baked. Quarter baked even.

On the other hand, there was a degree of professionalism/commitment to quality at Transworld that I picked up on even as a small child. Definitely didn't have the same savvy with branding/image, but at that formative age, i didn't care - i just wanted to see photos/sequences and consume skate ads. I never subscribed to either, but when i went to Barnes & Noble and sat in front of the skate section around the turn of the millenium, i felt like i was going to get better skate content from TWS, quality and quantity

I guess there's something rad about Thrasher's ability at the end of the day to just publish something because Phelps said "fuck it", but it definitely didn't work all the time

Weededed

• Rep: 222
  • I never needed it..
« Reply #2413 on: August 14, 2023, 10:49:32 AM »
Winkowski should start skating a popsicle polarizer.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2414 on: August 14, 2023, 02:03:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Transworld was a much thicker magazine with more iconic interviews like the Koston and Mariano interviews in the same magazine.

They also had much better in terms of photography and created way more in solid video content. Everything from dreams of children through duets was A+.

Thrasher was garbage from ‘95 through the mid 00’s and nobody wore their shirts.

Big Brother killed it with the Brown and Yellow issues thought.
Definitely more pictures but the interviews were kind of whatever. And some of the writing was pretentious. Thrasher wasn’t all bad back then- Hesh vs. Fresh was a classic issue, I think that was 98.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2415 on: August 14, 2023, 03:15:32 PM »
The Transworld videos back then were definitely better. Feedback and The Reason were much better and more coherent than what Thrasher was putting out.

Back then I didn't compare all the mags against one another. I spent my money on subscriptions for all of them and just consumed it all-over and over. I remember liking the Transworld and Big Brother interviews the most and Thrasher interviews felt like they combined both the edgy and serious but didn't index enough in either to present anything the aforementioned 2 couldn't. I oddly don't remember much about Slap.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2416 on: August 14, 2023, 03:19:37 PM »
The Transworld videos back then were definitely better. Feedback and The Reason were much better and more coherent than what Thrasher was putting out.

Back then I didn't compare all the mags against one another. I spent my money on subscriptions for all of them and just consumed it all-over and over. I remember liking the Transworld and Big Brother interviews the most and Thrasher interviews felt like they combined both the edgy and serious but didn't index enough in either to present anything the aforementioned 2 couldn't. I oddly don't remember much about Slap.
Agree here. I can’t remember Thrasher putting out any decent videos back then. I liked Slap, it was artier. And subscriptions were $6 a year so it was basically free.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -417
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2417 on: August 14, 2023, 05:39:36 PM »
Boss Baby Netflix show >>>>>> Boss Baby movie

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #2418 on: August 14, 2023, 07:08:08 PM »
Beatrice is kinda fine

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2419 on: August 14, 2023, 11:56:32 PM »
Transworld died to me after army ads

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 629
« Reply #2420 on: August 15, 2023, 08:25:26 AM »
Beatrice is kinda fine
You might have misunderstood. The problem isn't her being a pro model, it's her having a pro model.

Pbn_jake

• Rep: 34
« Reply #2421 on: August 15, 2023, 11:00:10 AM »

Thrashers playing in traffic was good. And  the kotr videos weren’t bad.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 07:08:10 AM by Pbn_jake »

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #2422 on: August 15, 2023, 06:17:02 PM »
Yuto Horigome is objectively the best skateboarder to emerge on the scene since Arto Saari in the late-90s.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2423 on: August 15, 2023, 08:52:47 PM »
Yuto Horigome is objectively the best skateboarder to emerge on the scene since Arto Saari in the late-90s.

this statement is so wrong it borders on being avant garde literature

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -417
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2424 on: August 17, 2023, 05:08:35 PM »
I can’t even begin to care about jacuzzi unlimited. The dream is dead and the name is stupid. I hope Louie b gets his duckets but I’m not even gonna bother feigning enthusiasm

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #2425 on: August 20, 2023, 07:06:04 AM »
This goes more so for bigger brands, but there’s no excuse for flubbing a video’s release because you decided not to clear your music.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
« Reply #2426 on: August 20, 2023, 07:39:44 AM »
but what if the name is something which fits the title......

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 240
  • often correct
« Reply #2427 on: August 20, 2023, 07:46:20 AM »
This goes more so for bigger brands, but there’s no excuse for flubbing a video’s release because you decided not to clear your music.
yep, i know music rights have been gumming up a lot of videos at the last minute lately but if you're advertising a hard release date then i don't see a single reason why things shouldn't be good to go by that date

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
« Reply #2428 on: August 20, 2023, 09:05:25 AM »
Gap makes the best pants for skateboarding and they don’t even know it.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
« Reply #2429 on: August 20, 2023, 03:31:46 PM »
WKND skits are good but they do it too much in their videos. One skit per video is good enough.
Miss you Rusty Berings