Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 177360 times)

backside_frontside

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -322
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2700 on: September 27, 2023, 06:55:55 AM »
it’s probably not unpopular, but I hate any manual trick where the person is wildly flailing their arms and body around to keep balance

My skateboard conspiracy theory is that Strobek started doing the crazy zoom-ins to hide terrible flailing arm steeze.

When you see people who are really good at manuals (BDK, Wade, Gilbert etc.) they aren't filmed super zoomed in. You can see their upper body and their arms hardly move.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #2701 on: September 27, 2023, 08:52:28 AM »
Counterpoint - Bryan Herman in Stay Gold, opening nose manual clip.

One arm stays pretty steady, but his other is doing the windmill off and on the whole clip and it looks perfect
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1124
« Reply #2702 on: September 27, 2023, 10:56:07 AM »
New York is blown out. It had a good ride. Produced a lot of great skaters, brands and content, but It's time to pick a new city... Just not my city...

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #2703 on: September 27, 2023, 11:41:10 AM »
New York is blown out. It had a good ride. Produced a lot of great skaters, brands and content, but It's time to pick a new city... Just not my city...

Topeka, Kansas
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Banned from the room

« Reply #2704 on: September 27, 2023, 11:44:42 AM »
I believe that B is going to show us a switch flip this year

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -417
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2705 on: September 29, 2023, 05:49:14 AM »
Limo is cornier than FA

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 130
« Reply #2706 on: September 30, 2023, 04:50:39 AM »
Probably being an uncool old guy here, but a lot of the time when I’m watching a video where someone is doing a fast line through an area with lots of pedestrians I think the filmer and skater need to be way more careful because running into someone would really suck.

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2707 on: September 30, 2023, 06:30:31 AM »
Counterpoint - Bryan Herman in Stay Gold, opening nose manual clip.

One arm stays pretty steady, but his other is doing the windmill off and on the whole clip and it looks perfect

http://youtube.com/shorts/XXquXXWpSxI

jeffwonsong tribute trick

JamesFardy

• Rep: 66
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2708 on: September 30, 2023, 10:27:38 AM »
Probably being an uncool old guy here, but a lot of the time when I’m watching a video where someone is doing a fast line through an area with lots of pedestrians I think the filmer and skater need to be way more careful because running into someone would really suck.
Agree, but that may just be you and I getting older

Roy Machine

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2709 on: September 30, 2023, 11:16:29 AM »
I don't like the skating of dick rizzo

Brad Wesley

• Rep: 31
« Reply #2710 on: September 30, 2023, 01:52:20 PM »

Nothing boomerish about that. Pedestrians get right of way. Sidewalks and crosswalks are for them. Skateboarding is a temporary imposition on their terrain for what essentially boils down to a guerilla commercial shoot. Having a spotter to warn people that a skater is going to fly by is fine. Buzzing past people and freaking them out is lame. Crashing into a pedestrian is worse. Yelling at someone because you crashed into them is peak main character syndrome and tells the world "I need someone to decisively end my skate career, preferably within the next five minutes".

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2711 on: September 30, 2023, 04:30:51 PM »
I recognize where sometimes these things can happen but the wrong move is to fully celebrate it.....

Skateboarding for the most part is fully accepted, people are just bigger assholes on both sides of the fence is all.....

Dustgod

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2712 on: October 01, 2023, 07:36:24 AM »

Who do you like? Hoping for another unpopular opinion
Nice to meet you, I’m a artis

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #2713 on: October 01, 2023, 12:02:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nothing boomerish about that. Pedestrians get right of way. Sidewalks and crosswalks are for them. Skateboarding is a temporary imposition on their terrain for what essentially boils down to a guerilla commercial shoot. Having a spotter to warn people that a skater is going to fly by is fine. Buzzing past people and freaking them out is lame. Crashing into a pedestrian is worse. Yelling at someone because you crashed into them is peak main character syndrome and tells the world "I need someone to decisively end my skate career, preferably within the next five minutes".
That also blows up the whole “why do you care if I skate here I’m not hurting anything “ argument

Roy Machine

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2714 on: October 01, 2023, 02:23:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Who do you like? Hoping for another unpopular opinion

Well I like people who do ollies and flip their board. It's just too many wallrides for my taste. I like sucui, busenitz, reynolds, westgate, ..too many to name them

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2715 on: October 01, 2023, 05:34:48 PM »
and speaking of flipping the board I think rod mullen had an unfair advantage when he was learning to kickflip because he didn’t have to worry about anyone driving by yelling “do a kickflip” at him because he hadn’t invented it yet but also he was in the middle of no where of no where so he could look it hard without reprucusion

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2716 on: October 02, 2023, 04:22:16 PM »
and speaking of flipping the board I think rod mullen had an unfair advantage when he was learning to kickflip because he didn’t have to worry about anyone driving by yelling “do a kickflip” at him because he hadn’t invented it yet but also he was in the middle of no where of no where so he could look it hard without reprucusion
This logic is brilliantly fried

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 112
« Reply #2717 on: October 02, 2023, 04:24:01 PM »
Skateboard is in a big lull at the moment, and most of that has to do with SOTY 'season' imo...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
« Reply #2718 on: October 02, 2023, 04:28:27 PM »
skateboarding is in trouble if it needs SOTY season.....

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 240
  • often correct
« Reply #2719 on: October 02, 2023, 06:11:44 PM »
Skateboard is in a big lull at the moment, and most of that has to do with SOTY 'season' imo...
we had at least five or six major videos come out in july and august, maybe rewatch one of those instead of wondering why nothing’s come out in the last eight days or whatever?

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #2720 on: October 02, 2023, 06:18:14 PM »
I don't get how people skate high. I did that a couple days ago and absolutely hated it. Couldn't concentrate and felt really light headed.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2721 on: October 02, 2023, 06:20:54 PM »
I don't get how people skate high. I did that a couple days ago and absolutely hated it. Couldn't concentrate and felt really light headed.
I like to get a little high OR get high and then do nothing until it becomes manageable. I agree that being super stoned while skating is no fun. Surfing on the other hand is great stoned if the waves aren’t too heavy.

manysnakes

« Reply #2722 on: October 02, 2023, 06:22:01 PM »

I cannot imagine operating a skateboard drunk or high. I am also baffled how anyone could manage this.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2723 on: October 02, 2023, 06:25:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I cannot imagine operating a skateboard drunk or high. I am also baffled how anyone could manage this.
Skating drunk is easy it’s just a bad idea

lurkluke

• Rep: 195
« Reply #2724 on: October 02, 2023, 09:23:48 PM »

Did you miss all the videos that just came out? Jacuzzi, Huf, Vans, Fabi part,  Madars part, Lakai full length, Yuto part, Primitive dropped a bunch of stuff (define raw, skatepark footie, Giovanni part that was nuts), Adam Davies just flipped in and out of a rail, Taylor Kirby part, Sour video...

Plus SLS, and Olympic quals.

That's all in the last month.

Dojsha Abuser

• Rep: -26
« Reply #2725 on: October 02, 2023, 10:30:57 PM »
varial flips are cool

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #2726 on: October 03, 2023, 02:27:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I can definitely skate high, sometimes fantastically - skating drunk however is wild, truly incomprehensible!
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2727 on: October 03, 2023, 06:03:47 AM »
varial flips are cool

Not unpopular - this trick has been rolling with the in crowd all year

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #2728 on: October 03, 2023, 07:31:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
I can definitely skate high, sometimes fantastically - skating drunk however is wild, truly incomprehensible!

Same

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1390
« Reply #2729 on: October 03, 2023, 09:54:35 AM »
I'm getting tired of seeing fast fashion seep into skating. Feels like there are too many options for clothing all the time from every company. An overflow of clothes that feels wasteful. Honestly a fair amount of the clothes are appealing, and then it's also mentally exhausting to continually maintain the strength to not spend money.