Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 177273 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 873
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2790 on: October 15, 2023, 04:43:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Girl/chocolate in the 90s was always kinda boring. There were a few really great skaters on the teams - Guy, Sheffey and Koston, and a bunch of guys who were very good but not very original. Their vids were 40 minutes of crooked grinds and flip tricks at the same two schools.
[close]

This one’s crazy, here’s mine:

Andrew Reynolds does absolutely nothing for me. I’m sorry but whatever chemical everyone else has in their brains that makes watching him enjoyable, I must be missing. Not knocking him, he clearly deserves his flowers.
I like Reynolds fine and get that girl/choc was good in the 90s but will say if you're still one of those guys that's like I make sure new skaters all watch goldfish so they know good style then your brain is beyond saving. Show rick in goldfish or guy in mouse sure but to make somebody who knows nothing about skating sit thru an hour of shit they can't understand or possibly care about is stupid. Just show video days or sub zero

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2791 on: October 15, 2023, 05:30:21 PM »
honestly, it's not unreasonable to expect anyone to sit through 45 minutes of any skateboarding let alone a video 30 years old.....

For the most part there is a reasonable or arguably excessive focus on the past, often it's the stories/lore behind it anyways....

it's great to have hot takes about shit that happened a long time ago...but what about now?

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -99
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2792 on: October 15, 2023, 05:35:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Girl/chocolate in the 90s was always kinda boring. There were a few really great skaters on the teams - Guy, Sheffey and Koston, and a bunch of guys who were very good but not very original. Their vids were 40 minutes of crooked grinds and flip tricks at the same two schools.
[close]

This one’s crazy, here’s mine:

Andrew Reynolds does absolutely nothing for me. I’m sorry but whatever chemical everyone else has in their brains that makes watching him enjoyable, I must be missing. Not knocking him, he clearly deserves his flowers.
[close]
I like Reynolds fine and get that girl/choc was good in the 90s but will say if you're still one of those guys that's like I make sure new skaters all watch goldfish so they know good style then your brain is beyond saving. Show rick in goldfish or guy in mouse sure but to make somebody who knows nothing about skating sit thru an hour of shit they can't understand or possibly care about is stupid. Just show video days or sub zero

If I make a youngin sit through old Crailtap stuff it’s gonna be Carroll and Koston in Yeah Right or Guy in Mouse. I can’t sit through 5 minutes of an FA edit so I’m not gonna reverse it on em and give them 40 minutes of mob flips

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #2793 on: October 16, 2023, 07:05:58 AM »
honestly, it's not unreasonable to expect anyone to sit through 45 minutes of any skateboarding let alone a video 30 years old.....

For the most part there is a reasonable or arguably excessive focus on the past, often it's the stories/lore behind it anyways....

it's great to have hot takes about shit that happened a long time ago...but what about now?
It’s hard because now is pretty great. I guess my hot take is that nostalgia for VX is lame.

manysnakes

« Reply #2794 on: October 16, 2023, 08:02:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
It’s hard because now is pretty great. I guess my hot take is that nostalgia for VX is lame.

Yeah, I get kooked by a bunch of guys who spent $2000 on a 20 year old 480p camera every time I say this, but your 2023 VX video looks like shit and despite your huge outlay of cash, you will never be able to capture the feeling of skating from your childhood.

Magnolia

• Rep: 462
  • She/They
« Reply #2795 on: October 16, 2023, 08:32:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Yeah, I get kooked by a bunch of guys who spent $2000 on a 20 year old 480p camera every time I say this, but your 2023 VX video looks like shit and despite your huge outlay of cash, you will never be able to capture the feeling of skating from your childhood.
One of my friends bought a TRV900 a couple years back and she didn't believe me when I said that was a dumbass decision. Especially with the added effort of having to digitize DV tapes after filming
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2796 on: October 16, 2023, 09:58:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve clicked on a video with some skater I like only to see it’s filmed in VX. Immediate NOPE from me. It looks grainy and bad.

manysnakes

« Reply #2797 on: October 16, 2023, 10:50:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
I can’t tell you how many times I’ve clicked on a video with some skater I like only to see it’s filmed in VX. Immediate NOPE from me. It looks grainy and bad.

It's not 100% for me - sometimes I'll stick around, but unless I am incredibly hyped on a particular skater, I'm not watching contemporary VX footage.

ejazzle

• Rep: 82
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2798 on: October 16, 2023, 10:55:57 AM »
people who ride shaped boards that actually hinder functionality are the "pick me girls" of skateboarding right now.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #2799 on: October 16, 2023, 11:36:56 AM »
people who ride shaped boards that actually hinder functionality are the "pick me girls" of skateboarding right now.

If you can handle a majority of your tricks on a less functional board, I think that speaks more to your skill vs doing the same on completely functional, cookie cutter popsicle.

I also agree with your "pick me girl" assertion tho
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

manysnakes

« Reply #2800 on: October 16, 2023, 12:00:35 PM »

I've had it happen a few times where some old school deck rider skates my 8" popsicle and experiences a moment of epiphany when they remember that we went through ~40 year of experimenting with deck shapes before landing on one which almost everyone agrees is actually ideal for nearly all forms of skating.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2801 on: October 16, 2023, 03:29:40 PM »
caring about people who skate shaped boards is almost as far in the rearview mirror as people who skate them.....

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2802 on: October 16, 2023, 04:28:09 PM »
(Trigger warning)
If you’re over the age of 27 and don’t have a quiver that includes a shaped and a popsicle, it ain’t looking so good for your skate future.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
« Reply #2803 on: October 16, 2023, 04:38:41 PM »
But why would I skate a board that I can't do noseslides on?

Dojsha Abuser

• Rep: -26
« Reply #2804 on: October 16, 2023, 09:06:51 PM »
But why would I skate a board that I can't do noseslides on?

YOU WOULDNT STEAL A CAR.

But exactly, you wouldnt.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #2805 on: October 16, 2023, 09:19:16 PM »
riffing a hot opinion after getting out of a snowboard video premiere (whole frog team was there, as some side goss):
snowboard cinematography has skateboard cinematography beat by a lot, like an incredible amount a lot

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2806 on: October 16, 2023, 10:22:12 PM »
Yeah….it’s called being behind…..

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2807 on: October 17, 2023, 09:43:37 AM »
I stopped riding riser pads. Turns out they don’t really matter. I don’t think gear matters that much

manysnakes

« Reply #2808 on: October 17, 2023, 10:31:25 AM »
I stopped riding riser pads. Turns out they don’t really matter. I don’t think gear matters that much

It's much more important to consistently be skating the same setup than to find the most perfect setup imaginible (which does not exist). I don't think that's an unpopular opinion, though.

manysnakes

« Reply #2809 on: October 17, 2023, 10:32:06 AM »
I don't give a single shit about Tampa Pro or AM and all the footage from these events looks super fucking boring.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2810 on: October 17, 2023, 11:39:37 AM »
I don't give a single shit about Tampa Pro or AM and all the footage from these events looks super fucking boring.
As much as it’s the realist, most core contest I don’t actually enjoy it much either

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2811 on: October 17, 2023, 01:13:42 PM »
Dumb Data vs. Gifted Hater was the lamest feud in skate history

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #2812 on: October 17, 2023, 02:26:49 PM »

I hadn’t felt this way until I watched this recent Tampa Am, but yeah, it was incredibly boring.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #2813 on: October 17, 2023, 02:53:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I hadn’t felt this way until I watched this recent Tampa Am, but yeah, it was incredibly boring.

I would agree that this year was the most boring i've ever watched - that said, i did watch it, and i would will probably watch it next year too.

I'm not sure if this unpopular or not, but I have no love for braden hoban's kickflip late front shuvs. I think it's done as well as it can be but it just kind of feels like using your powers for evil.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 112
« Reply #2814 on: October 17, 2023, 09:08:01 PM »
imo a lot of the early HD stuff around 2010-2014 is unwatchable in 2023. So lifeless...

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 873
« Reply #2815 on: October 17, 2023, 09:31:56 PM »
imo a lot of the early HD stuff around 2010-2014 is unwatchable in 2023. So lifeless...
I think that is the popular opinion.
I actually like a lot of the stuff from that period as people involved still put in a ton of effort into what they were making

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2261
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #2816 on: October 17, 2023, 11:32:39 PM »
Tom penny been wak since he came back like goofy boy. All rigor morris. Matt field lion hella stiffler too for a yogi. What kinda drugs turn you into a stiff person? I see the fent heads touching they toes with they eyelashes but yoga flame no more
It’s called old age, you ding-dong.
Don’t worry: you’ll get to smoke that shit one day too. You just gotta wait until you’re a grown up.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

lurkluke

• Rep: 195
« Reply #2817 on: October 18, 2023, 01:33:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Tom penny been wak since he came back like goofy boy. All rigor morris. Matt field lion hella stiffler too for a yogi. What kinda drugs turn you into a stiff person? I see the fent heads touching they toes with they eyelashes but yoga flame no more
[close]
It’s called old age, you ding-dong.
Don’t worry: you’ll get to smoke that shit one day too. You just gotta wait until you’re a grown up.

Went for a small run yesterday. Today I'm hobbling like an ancient witch.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #2818 on: October 18, 2023, 08:06:31 AM »
Low impact relatable skating sucks to watch.  I want to see fucked up shit that I cannot imagine people doing. 

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #2819 on: October 18, 2023, 09:07:03 AM »
Low impact relatable skating sucks to watch.  I want to see fucked up shit that I cannot imagine people doing.

There's some skaters that keep it interesting, but yeah, I agree watching tricks I could possibly manage is not nearly as entertaining as watching someone like Pedro or GT attacking insane obstacles
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here