Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 177284 times)

Gleefull508

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 25
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2940 on: November 23, 2023, 01:41:56 PM »
April is cool now. Look at their team. New vid: very nice.

http://youtu.be/WFFCzOkAYwk?feature=shared
I was starting to think same thing lowkey

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1124
« Reply #2941 on: November 23, 2023, 02:56:33 PM »
Expand Quote
April is cool now. Look at their team. New vid: very nice.

http://youtu.be/WFFCzOkAYwk?feature=shared
[close]
I was starting to think same thing lowkey

Was April uncool?

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
  • sup dog
« Reply #2942 on: November 23, 2023, 07:08:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Only edits containing SOTY contenders should be released between mid-November and the official announcement.  Your homie vids, tour videos, d-list parts, etc can wait.  It’s like the hometown hero showing up to a long awaited demo and snaking the pros.  Save that shit for the holidays, Jan/Feb/Mar, when everyone’s sitting at home fiending for footy.
[close]
Is anyone even trying for SOTY this year? I feel like last year’s result was such a joke that no one is wasting their time anymore.
Maybe Thrasher was playing 4d chess and picked Tyshawn just so everyone would calm down with their SOTY run video dumps (that were both very entertaining but also obviously calculated and obnoxiously so).
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #2943 on: November 23, 2023, 11:10:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Only edits containing SOTY contenders should be released between mid-November and the official announcement.  Your homie vids, tour videos, d-list parts, etc can wait.  It’s like the hometown hero showing up to a long awaited demo and snaking the pros.  Save that shit for the holidays, Jan/Feb/Mar, when everyone’s sitting at home fiending for footy.
[close]
Is anyone even trying for SOTY this year? I feel like last year’s result was such a joke that no one is wasting their time anymore.
[close]
Maybe Thrasher was playing 4d chess and picked Tyshawn just so everyone would calm down with their SOTY run video dumps (that were both very entertaining but also obviously calculated and obnoxiously so).
If so it worked. Hasn’t been as heavy a year I think

Roy Machine

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2944 on: November 24, 2023, 07:10:08 AM »
Yuto comes of as such a try hard

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
« Reply #2945 on: November 24, 2023, 08:25:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thrasher also asked Tyshawn to postpone his video drop till fall. He said in interview he was ready to drop it in the summer.

addie pray

• Rep: -527
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #2946 on: November 28, 2023, 07:54:24 AM »
i think some people are predominatly into skateboarding to talk about clothing cuts and shoe sillohuettes and force themselves to attempt flatground to model their lil outfits

mrselfdestruct

• Rep: 17
  • fresh
« Reply #2947 on: November 28, 2023, 09:04:40 AM »
ledge skating sucks (i cant back 50 but can do back crooks, nosegrinds and crooks) like i think a ledge in a line is cool but almost never ender worth. just not fun to watch or do.
Mrs Elf is a pretty cool name.

And Mrs Elf destructing is even cooler.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #2948 on: November 28, 2023, 09:49:23 AM »
ledge skating sucks (i cant back 50 but can do back crooks, nosegrinds and crooks) like i think a ledge in a line is cool but almost never ender worth. just not fun to watch or do.

I'm with you. I appreciate the technicality, but idk, I'm rarely stoked on a ledge spot. Last ledge move I was hyped on was Hermann Stene's mile long back smith on that ledge by the water

I do a couple grinds and slides and call it a day, I don't have the patience or desire to flip-in-flip-out.

Would like to learn BS Tails tho....
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

addie pray

• Rep: -527
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #2949 on: November 28, 2023, 10:02:37 AM »
what exactly is there not to love about ledges

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 240
  • often correct
« Reply #2950 on: November 28, 2023, 10:08:15 AM »
macba-type ledge skating seems kind of awful to do and watch but some nik stain-esque ledge skating? or tiago? c'mon man

if you utter some variation of "this has been a slow year for content"/"no one deserves SOTY this year" you're making yourself look dumb. we got like, ten videos this summer!

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #2951 on: November 28, 2023, 10:15:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm with you. I appreciate the technicality, but idk, I'm rarely stoked on a ledge spot. Last ledge move I was hyped on was Hermann Stene's mile long back smith on that ledge by the water

I do a couple grinds and slides and call it a day, I don't have the patience or desire to flip-in-flip-out.

Would like to learn BS Tails tho....

Ledge skating is cool to watch sucks to do
Pool and ditch skating is fun to do sucks to watch

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2952 on: November 28, 2023, 10:23:20 AM »
macba-type ledge skating seems kind of awful to do and watch but some nik stain-esque ledge skating? or tiago? c'mon man

if you utter some variation of "this has been a slow year for content"/"no one deserves SOTY this year" you're making yourself look dumb. we got like, ten videos this summer!
None of them were as good as last year.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #2953 on: November 28, 2023, 10:47:44 AM »

mostly personal skill set probably, plus i never really got good at skating them. I mean, they're fine, but workshopping a new trick is tedious and boring, imo

i've got a small number of ledge tricks that i enjoy doing, i just think theres obstacles that are more fun

as for clips, anything worthwhile just looks hard and not very fun

Ledge skating is cool to watch sucks to do
Pool and ditch skating is fun to do sucks to watch

i don't agree with this at all, but power to ya
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Paperclip20

• Rep: 138
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #2954 on: November 28, 2023, 11:57:23 AM »

What is your preferred type of skating?

leafman4000

• Rep: 29
« Reply #2955 on: November 28, 2023, 12:06:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

mostly personal skill set probably, plus i never really got good at skating them. I mean, they're fine, but workshopping a new trick is tedious and boring, imo

i've got a small number of ledge tricks that i enjoy doing, i just think theres obstacles that are more fun

For me it’s the opposite, I’d rather spend two hours battling a ledge trick than two hours battling something on flat

Also, not sure if I’m in the minority here, I generally have an easier time learning ledge tricks than I do anything else
I thought skaters were tough and got laid. Way off

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 151
« Reply #2956 on: November 28, 2023, 12:14:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

For me it’s the opposite, I’d rather spend two hours battling a ledge trick than two hours battling something on flat

Also, not sure if I’m in the minority here, I generally have an easier time learning ledge tricks than I do anything else

The only things I can think which are easier/more forgiving than skating a ledge are skating flat or maybe doing slappies. Ledge skating can be the most creative facet of skateboarding.

Ignatius J Reilly

• often correct
« Reply #2957 on: November 28, 2023, 12:16:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
quasi, bronze, john wilson, huf, GX1000, palace, will miles nike vid, lakai, wknd, cal's pharmacy, real, static?! ,you're telling me none of these did anything for you?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2958 on: November 28, 2023, 03:52:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
quasi, bronze, john wilson, huf, GX1000, palace, will miles nike vid, lakai, wknd, cal's pharmacy, real, static?! ,you're telling me none of these did anything for you?
No. I said there wasn’t anything as memorable as last year. We’re talking about SOTY, so I’m talking about individual parts. Louie, Nyjah, TFunk and Tyshawn released parts that were insanely good and I’ve rewatched most of them. And all of them released multiple parts and some had historic tricks in them. Nyjah released the all time most insane handrail part ever.

This year we’ve had a really good part by Curren, a good part by Yuto and pretty great parts by Jack O’Grady and Rob Pace. I think one of them should get SOTY but it’s a pretty big drop off in excitement from last year.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2959 on: November 28, 2023, 05:22:53 PM »
I don't know/care enough when the cut off is, but isn't that when they all drop at the same time anyhow?  is that next week?

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
  • sup dog
« Reply #2960 on: November 28, 2023, 05:44:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Thrasher also asked Tyshawn to postpone his video drop till fall. He said in interview he was ready to drop it in the summer.
Damn if that’s not some inside fixing conspiracy theory type shit if I’ve ever heard some.

Maybe that means they already have 2023 picked, too.

I wish other mags were still around :(

Closer is awesome, and I had subscription the first year; but it only comes out four times a year.

I still say SLAP skater of the year is a good idea. The real people’s champ.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2961 on: November 28, 2023, 08:22:36 PM »
I like Krux, both brand and the product

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1124
« Reply #2962 on: November 28, 2023, 08:33:16 PM »

I think the brand is cool, probably the only truck brand that has ever had a personality. They always had fun ads. I think they’re treated the opposite of Indy, so they sponsor and give opportunities to more interesting people

On that same note I can’t square that away with the fact that I also think they’re a dork truck for dorks.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 910
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #2963 on: November 28, 2023, 09:03:58 PM »
I think I enjoy Free skate mag parts/videos more than Thrasher even thought half the time I’ve never heard of the skater and I’ll probably forget them anyways.

Dojsha Abuser

• Rep: -26
« Reply #2964 on: November 29, 2023, 04:08:28 AM »
Bs and fs crooked grinds to fakie need to stop. Now.

Seriously.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #2965 on: November 29, 2023, 05:46:33 AM »
The more rep someone has the worse their posts seem to be.

Ignatius J Reilly

• often correct
« Reply #2966 on: November 29, 2023, 06:00:39 AM »
it’s not a hard and fast rule since there are plenty of great posters with positive reps but there are so many posters with reps close to a thousand who never have anything thought-provoking or witty or even mildly interesting to say, they just regurgitate whatever the current talking point or inside joke is. call it “the shalom effect.” for all we know they don’t even skate

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2967 on: November 29, 2023, 06:01:17 AM »
Everyone pls kook me so my posts will be more litty

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2968 on: November 29, 2023, 08:32:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think the brand is cool, probably the only truck brand that has ever had a personality. They always had fun ads. I think they’re treated the opposite of Indy, so they sponsor and give opportunities to more interesting people

On that same note I can’t square that away with the fact that I also think they’re a dork truck for dorks.
I don’t think they’re dorky, but I’ve also never heard anyone say they’re good. I don’t know, I haven’t tried them.

manysnakes

« Reply #2969 on: November 29, 2023, 08:44:02 AM »

The lower someone's rep is, the more obsessed with rep conspiracies they seem to be.