Author Topic: BILL WEISS OF DWINDLE  (Read 23142 times)

silhouette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1573
Re: BILL WIESS OF DWINDLE
« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2023, 02:58:39 AM »
Who's idea was it to bring back Cliché as a budget brand with out Jérémie?

You probably know that but Jérémie already was just one employee of his own brand that he had founded for the longest time during Cliché's first incarnation. Truthfully only 100% Jérémie Cliché was around the time of the Europa video era then essentially ended just about there and then. Cliché found outside investors really early on and I seem to understand Jérémie always regretted every choice or compromise he made there, even though he's thankful for all he's learned, that's really so that he can never repeat the same mistakes again.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 674
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
Re: BILL WEISS OF DWINDLE
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2023, 05:23:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Louie should take his new dudes and go to business and company and make it what it could be with his Ole pal
[close]

I had no idea any of this shit was happening, is Rodney still in charge at Almost? Round 3 was the first skate video I ever saw so almost has always had a special place in my heart.  Are they and enjoi going to stay around at all?

rumors are enjoi is done too

Skatebrain

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2023, 05:34:15 AM »
The lack of madness boards I have seen people riding leads me to believe all the riders quitting to go with a potential new Weiss company is not the best idea.  Pure intentions but Weiss should have encouraged those dudes to keep getting a check till another spot was secure.   

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -534
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2023, 06:03:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You probably know that but Jérémie already was just one employee of his own brand that he had founded for the longest time during Cliché's first incarnation. Truthfully only 100% Jérémie Cliché was around the time of the Europa video era then essentially ended just about there and then. Cliché found outside investors really early on and I seem to understand Jérémie always regretted every choice or compromise he made there, even though he's thankful for all he's learned, that's really so that he can never repeat the same mistakes again.

Now this is book-reporty and I love it.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #124 on: January 14, 2023, 06:33:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

@silhouette I more ment about 2 years ago or so Dwindle started making Cliché decks as price points, no team, and the graffic's were just the tag. I know about how Jérémie lost control of it, but at some point (4 years ago?) Dwindle packed it in. Honestly in to the wild is better.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #125 on: January 14, 2023, 06:47:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
@silhouette I more ment about 2 years ago or so Dwindle started making Cliché decks as price points, no team, and the graffic's were just the tag. I know about how Jérémie lost control of it, but at some point (4 years ago?) Dwindle packed it in. Honestly in to the wild is better.

I vividly remember that. I naively but sadly probably accurately suspect the logic at Dwindle might have been as simple as 'hey, European brands are a serious competition now, but we technically still do have the rights to one, right?' and so they brought the imagery back. I remember a lot of completes in shops which actually was pretty cool because they were accessible set-ups for beginners and from what I heard didn't perform too poorly, so I didn't really mind that at all. Because Jérémie had lost absolute control over the brand eons ago already anyway, so if anything that would be one extra nail into an already long sealed coffin. The version of Cliché most people out of Europe worship, consider classic or cherish because it was their first introduction to brand new worldwide epiphanies, around the Bon Appétit era, already was a slightly watered down version of Jérémie's vision, you could see that reflect in the team - a lot of the O.G.'s who had established the original fanbase of and hype behind the brand at the time were already gone. Jean-Jacques Rousseau and Thibault Fradin I honestly can't remember right now if they were still present but a bunch of other local legends like that, Pontus too. I think around the time of Bon Appétit it already was owned by a parent skiing company? But I think that's OK and normal if people worldwide can't keep up. Communication and transmission just work like that, definitions of what a brand represents have a lot to do with how one is personally being introduced to them, you also see that an awful lot in Pontus' following. Tons of people worshipping what he would consider his least sincere projects if you were to ask him. Detail gets lost in translation all of the time (hence the importance of bridging the gaps) and marketing altogether is a hell of a thing.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 06:55:54 AM by silhouette »

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1114
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #126 on: January 14, 2023, 07:27:34 AM »
Not that it is a big deal but this same investment company owns protec and apparently all their new product is sitting in shipping containers at the port because they can’t afford to pay for it.
I think skating will go back to being small again soon, at least the hardwoods aspect.
That corporate money backer is always a bad move.
Crazy how long girl has been able to keep it going.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1007
  • the moon rules
« Reply #127 on: January 14, 2023, 07:31:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I vividly remember that. I naively but sadly probably accurately suspect the logic at Dwindle might have been as simple as 'hey, European brands are a serious competition now, but we technically still do have the rights to one, right?' and so they brought the imagery back. I remember a lot of completes in shops which actually was pretty cool because they were accessible set-ups for beginners and from what I heard didn't perform too poorly, so I didn't really mind that at all. Because Jérémie had lost absolute control over the brand eons ago already anyway, so if anything that would be one extra nail into an already long sealed coffin. The version of Cliché most people out of Europe worship, consider classic or cherish because it was their first introduction to brand new worldwide epiphanies, around the Bon Appétit era, already was a slightly watered down version of Jérémie's vision, you could see that reflect in the team - a lot of the O.G.'s who had established the original fanbase of and hype behind the brand at the time were already gone. Jean-Jacques Rousseau and Thibault Fradin I honestly can't remember right now if they were still present but a bunch of other local legends like that, Pontus too. I think around the time of Bon Appétit it already was owned by a parent skiing company? But I think that's OK and normal if people worldwide can't keep up. Communication and transmission just work like that, definitions of what a brand represents have a lot to do with how one is personally being introduced to them, you also see that an awful lot in Pontus' following. Tons of people worshipping what he would consider his least sincere projects if you were to ask him. Detail gets lost in translation all of the time (hence the importance of bridging the gaps) and marketing altogether is a hell of a thing.

Weren’t they owned by Salomon skis/snowboards for a long time before Dwindle?
fuck you bama

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1606
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #128 on: January 14, 2023, 07:42:42 AM »
Yeah, it’ll be interesting what happens with that as I don’t think it’s necessarily consistent to all the other things they own ie. scooters.  I hope they’ll keep doing things the same or even Santa Cruz buying it. 

Skaters are always mad at the investors but I’m guessing if you look at a balance sheet, a board brand makes zero sense, which is why corporately they are a hot potato……

manysnakes

« Reply #129 on: January 14, 2023, 07:51:05 AM »
I think skating will go back to being small again soon, at least the hardwoods aspect.

I tend to agree. I sound like a broken record about this, but the overcompensation from the initial Covid supply shock is going to absolutely wreck a lot of the board makers. You can see it in the constant sales from online retailers, companies like Crail, Primitive and Fucking Awesome consistently selling boards direct to consumer with grip and free shipping for what has to amount to a loss, and in board manufacturers like PS offering their services up on Instagram for a paltry 50 decks at a time.

If you had a positive balance sheet prior to 2020 and especially if you have a solid soft goods category, you will likely be able to weather it, but if you're a someone like Dwindle or Crail, I imagine that the outlook is grim.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #130 on: January 14, 2023, 07:56:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I tend to agree. I sound like a broken record about this, but the overcompensation from the initial Covid supply shock is going to absolutely wreck a lot of the board makers. You can see it in the constant sales from online retailers, companies like Crail, Primitive and Fucking Awesome consistently selling boards direct to consumer with grip and free shipping for what has to amount to a loss, and in board manufacturers like PS offering their services up on Instagram for a paltry 50 decks at a time.

If you had a positive balance sheet prior to 2020 and especially if you have a solid soft goods category, you will likely be able to weather it, but if you're a someone like Dwindle or Crail, I imagine that the outlook is grim.

Shout out to DLX for keeping it real. Pretty much everyone else sells direct.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2023, 07:58:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

If they’re selling through online retailers, who cares if they sell direct?

manysnakes

« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2023, 08:05:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Every one of the big online retailers who sell DLX are legitimate skate shops with a large online presence, and even many (most?) small, "core" shops conduct online sales. You can't bury your head in the sand and pretend that no one is going to buy things over the internet, that's just not realistic.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2023, 08:29:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Every one of the big online retailers who sell DLX are legitimate skate shops with a large online presence, and even many (most?) small, "core" shops conduct online sales. You can't bury your head in the sand and pretend that no one is going to buy things over the internet, that's just not realistic.

I was just curious.  Still not sure I see the difference between buying dlx from their website vs tactics.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2023, 08:35:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Crail still sell pretty well in a lot of markets and I constantly see people on their decks. I even saw a dude ripping the deep end of a massive bowl on a Girl deck the other day and have seen a shit ton of Chocolate decks the last year or so. They didn't sell much at shops in the East Bay but in other shops I've been to that carry them a lot of the times they say the decks at least sell as well as a lot of other large brands. The trucks, wheels, and clothes I'm not sure.

I think to really survive as one of those big brands you need to do shit like Primitive and Girl and have some cringey collabs that sell at Zumiez to 13 year olds that will probably buy 1 complete in their lifetime. I think these kids want Naruto instead of a panda.

manysnakes

« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2023, 08:47:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I was just curious.  Still not sure I see the difference between buying dlx from their website vs tactics.

You don't understand how a manufacturer selling all of its goods direct to consumer for full pop is different than providing those goods to hundreds (thousands?) of small shops based in local communities who can then sell it to a over the counter or through their own online sales planforms?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 09:17:25 AM by manysnakes »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2023, 08:56:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Weren’t they owned by Salomon skis/snowboards for a long time before Dwindle?

They were, if I'm not mistaken, from around the time of the hiatus between Europa and Bon Appétit onwards (and, I think, until the Dwindle acquisition; but now I wonder if the company didn't change hands once more at some point, really the whole adventure seems like it was a lot of improvisation and naivety from skateboarders, and altogether a bit of a mess). One of the reasons why Jérémie is doing Film trucks and not another board brand is there's a lot of shit he just doesn't want to deal with anymore, he's the kind of profile who needs his output to directly reflect his vision. Great guy.

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2023, 09:35:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You don't understand how a manufacturer selling all of its goods direct to consumer for full pop is different than providing those goods to hundreds (thousands?) of small shops based in local communities who can then sell it to a over the counter or through their own online sales planforms?

No, I said I don’t see the difference between selling themselves out of their warehouse and selling out of tatics (or ccs or active) warehouse.  Those are not my local shop or anything close to it. 

manysnakes

« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2023, 09:45:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

No, I said I don’t see the difference between selling themselves out of their warehouse and selling out of tatics (or ccs or active) warehouse.  Those are not my local shop or anything close to it.

Baffling.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -408
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2023, 09:48:50 AM »

The current SOTY skating a 8.1 is a talking point that never really gets brought up here

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2023, 09:51:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Baffling.

I would rather buy a deck straight from a board company than ccs, why is that wrong? CCS doesn’t even count as a skateshop to me

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2023, 09:52:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Baffling.

I demand another unseen warehouse middleman!

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 28
« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2023, 10:46:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

If you are a shop - you are in a competition with other shops - that fine and ok.
If tactics sell on and offline - they are may a big competitor to you - but buying with more or less the same price - selling for more or less the same price - having a similar profit - so Competetion is fair.
If the brand is selling direct over the own online stor - completion becomes unfair.
Why ist shoud be cooler to buy the halfcab at my store - if you can buy it directly from vans.
And then some brands didn’t gave you as a customer (skateshop) the same options to buy then the final client online.
Vans and Nike for example - you need to preorder with min qty - but if something was selling really good you can’t buy later extra qty.
So the shoe is still in the vans warehouse / online store - but you can’t order them for you client - so your client who woud like to buy at your shop - can only buy at the brand online store.

So if you run a store and you are able to choose -  you choose for brands which are not going in direct competition with you.
The skateshop are not able to choose anymore  - situation becomes to weak for them without Nike/ Vans/ Adidias on the shelf it will difficult to survive.
But all of that brand don’t gave a fuck about them…

lurker_and_poster

« Reply #143 on: January 14, 2023, 10:52:20 AM »
What I don’t understand- if you creat a brand like Bill/ Madness - it’s clear that you work together with a distributor like dwindle for the distribution- they have the sales network, and handle all the accounts- and you can focus on brand identity/ product and team.

But why you gave the right to the brand/ name to the distribution? In no other business you do that.

SpruceCone

• Rep: -1
« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2023, 12:30:20 PM »
What I don’t understand- if you creat a brand like Bill/ Madness - it’s clear that you work together with a distributor like dwindle for the distribution- they have the sales network, and handle all the accounts- and you can focus on brand identity/ product and team.

But why you gave the right to the brand/ name to the distribution? In no other business you do that.

He didnt work with Dwindle for distribution… he was working for Dwindle. He created a brand for a company he was working for. He didnt gave up the rights to Dwindle because Dwindle always had them.

Is there really a industry that does NOT work like this?

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #145 on: January 14, 2023, 12:33:55 PM »
If you invent a product and target agrees to stock it in their stores, it doesn’t automatically mean they get the intellectual property rights or “own” your product

lurker_and_poster

« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2023, 12:36:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

He didnt work with Dwindle for distribution… he was working for Dwindle. He created a brand for a company he was working for. He didnt gave up the rights to Dwindle because Dwindle always had them.

Furniture, lighting, all Industrie distribution.
You have a brand let’s say produce CNC cutting machines - and for a market you don’t know like South America - you look for a distributor- and the distributor distribute your stuff - he didn’t own anything in your brand - just a contact with the right to distribute it in an area.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2023, 12:41:06 PM »
Dwindull , dorkstar, Bloind, turd industries, tense or?, enjoy

SpruceCone

• Rep: -1
« Reply #148 on: January 14, 2023, 12:51:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Furniture, lighting, all Industrie distribution.
You have a brand let’s say produce CNC cutting machines - and for a market you don’t know like South America - you look for a distributor- and the distributor distribute your stuff - he didn’t own anything in your brand - just a contact with the right to distribute it in an area.

Ok. Fair point. But your example is not comparable with Weiss and Dwindle.

Dwindle only(?) distributes their OWN inhouse brands. If someone was paid for to create a new inhouse brand for them then the brand stays even if the employee who created the brand leaves.

Weiss was not WORKING WITH Dwindle. Weiss was FORKING FOR Dwindle.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2312
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #149 on: January 14, 2023, 12:52:12 PM »
Louie should take his new dudes and go to business and company and make it what it could be with his Ole pal

Oh you mean because MJ is gonna wear a wacky sombrero with a big Mexican moustache for the new team riders announcement and make a funny face and smoke a cigarette all wacky? That video is gonna be sick.