Author Topic: How close do you live to “legit” skate spots?  (Read 3327 times)

TheLowerBack

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 172
  • GTU/FWD
Re: How close do you live to “legit” skate spots?
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2023, 10:43:11 PM »
Before I bought my house on the outskirts of town, I lived in inner SE Portland. It was kind of an industrial/commericial zone, so a bunch of lil cuddy stuff within a block in any direction. 10 minute skate to the actual eastside industrial zone and the Esplanade(ledges,curbs,stairs,manny pads, and wallie rocks, right by the river under an overpass). Cross the bridge and you're downtown.
Now I'm deep SE and there's not much for street spots. BUT, my friend a block away has a legit skatepark in his yard, as well a couple other buddies in the zone with little pours, and I'm in the process of building out my yard.
I miss pushing around the streets, but it is super nice to just have a spot where you know there will be no variables.
Like, help the holmie with yardwork, hit some grinds, then go inside and have dinner with the wives like adults. haha

Banned from the room

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2023, 11:03:32 PM »
I got the spots right out my door. Are curbs and covered granite flat ground and a parking garage legit? Idk.

In a 1/4 mile radius I have 7 spots. Soon to be 9. Only like 4 would be legit I guess. The rest is basically like Knox might like um?
I love um

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2023, 11:53:12 PM »
Zurich has many legit spots but I am too bad to skate them. Luckily there are also plenty of spots for old dudes.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Terminal

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2023, 12:48:06 AM »
Zurich has many legit spots but I am too bad to skate them. Luckily there are also plenty of spots for old dudes.
Heaps on Cougar Island too, and same scenario with my shitness. But there are plenty I can skate.

On average 10-20 mins from a spot. Some closer, some further. But there's heaps

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 460
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2023, 12:53:30 AM »
If legit means ones in (local) videos, yeah all over the place, but I struggle to skate them tbh because I am not very good and also too old to get hurt
listen to cosmic psychos

assvogel

• Rep: 210
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2023, 02:55:10 AM »
From where I live, there's a spot people skate a lot right across the street when I exit the door.

Closest skatepark is on the next street, and the next 2 parks are in about 10 minute walk. There's 3 concrete DIY's in a mile radius. To get to the closest indoor park, it's 5 minutes by bus.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2023, 04:05:04 AM »
1 block from House of Vans, so I’ve got that going for me.

Were you there last weekend for the vid premier?

You live in Chicago dude, you're very near many great spots!

West Michigan town I live in definitely has spots, although spaced out and no amazing plazas like youd find in a big city. An old fountain with smooth brick banks and ledges on two levels  (as well as a world class slappy curb) is my personal favorite, but we also have this giant gap that is a bit of a destination for skaters in the surrounding area.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 829
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2023, 07:43:07 AM »
Got a skatepark and everyone's (here that is) flat land spot 400m away. Ledge spot besides my flat that depends on traffic, like rush hour no chance but weekend's it's chill. Heaps of stuff skating distance... bought my flat because of this. 

Potsalad

• Rep: 0
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2023, 08:07:43 AM »
 5 minute drive from Danny Renauds opening Nollie flip in mosaic

El Freegano

• Rep: 219
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2023, 08:09:08 AM »
the closest skatable flat ground (a road where there is almost no traffic) is like 2-3 minutes walking from the house and the closest "legit" spot (a memorial monument with ledges, stairs, "manny pad") is like 20 minutes walking distance (10 minutes skating).

Banned from the room

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2023, 10:32:29 AM »

I gotta say pal I don't like that kinda talk. I know you're too legit to quit like that.

Go get that 10 stair Hammer.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2023, 10:50:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I gotta say pal I don't like that kinda talk. I know you're too legit to quit like that.

Go get that 10 stair Hammer.

Cheers bro, I never said I‘d quit. And I see what you did there!

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2023, 10:54:16 AM »
Sk8mafia filmed clips in my complex. There are so many spots here. I grew up in a small town so I know what it’s like to have no spots and I try to take advantage whenever I can.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 633
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2023, 11:26:47 AM »
I live in the east suburbs of Berlin, Germany. Like an hour away from the Kulturforum. Sometimes I go skate the city but I am still more interested in finding "spots" a bit closer too me. Growing up here, I always heard that there are no spots in this part of town where I live. I just think it isn't true, the spots are just a bit harder to skate or you have to think of different things to try there.
IG: @flowterspace

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2023, 03:10:02 PM »

5 minutes from my front door

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2023, 03:13:38 PM »

That spot looks super hard to skate.

It reminds me of Erindale banks in Australia. My auntie lived about 30 seconds from that spot so I grew up going there all the time as a kid, just thinking it was some shitty old park. I tripped out once I realised it was like a 'legit' spot and pros would stop there on tours and shit
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2023, 04:02:48 PM »
Tons of stuff near me is skatable (mid-town Toronto), but the closest place I can think of where pros constantly get clips (Bickford) is probably a 10 to 15 minute drive depending on traffic. I can probably get to the core/financial district in like 20 minutes by subway which has a ton of spots you see in videos but some of those spots aren't exactly skatable mid-week during the day due to foot traffic and security

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2023, 04:10:24 PM »
i live a black away from a really nice ledge, unfortunately it's half on the sidewalk half in someone's yard.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -417
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2023, 05:30:32 PM »
i live a black away from a really nice ledge
I don’t see how you neighbors skin color is pertinent but pretty cool

frontshuv

• Rep: -18
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2023, 05:34:30 PM »
n Brooklyn so there's lots to skate around my neck of the woods

Tommy G

• Rep: -12
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2023, 06:49:31 PM »
Emerica had a demo here years ago and Tosh ollied a bump to bar in my town. It's not skateable by the average joe's standard and they also put some pipes in front of it but it is notable. We have a big handrail along with ledges at this bank but they're pretty blown out, but the parking garages are nice. The university has some pretty decent spots, but can be a bust depending on the time of year. Manual pads, stairs, and a big angle iron ledge.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -275
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2023, 11:52:29 PM »

Such an epic cover - MJ rules!

I live about 30 min drive to Sydney city, obviously a heap of famous spots there.
Locally the only “spot” worth mentioning is Miltons ender in his SOTY oz trip video, the window he smashes at the end is my kids after school care centre  :D

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2023, 12:08:11 AM »
i live a 15 minute walk away from a very shitty skatepark, 3 bus stops from a very good skatepark, my workplace is a 3 minute skate from another good skatepark

as for spots the only two spots that you can skate around at (so not a gap/stairset/handrail/hubba) in my area i have to take the train to

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2023, 12:32:49 AM »
I've always lived somewhere you can just step out the door and skate. I could not stand to live somewhere where you have to drive to do anything. Hate that shit, so no way I would move outside of a city.
also I realize now I was pretty lucky as a young skater growing up 20 km from Paris: we had an ancient 70s concrete skatepark (quite shitty but still), a wooden mini, and a big supermarket parking lot with grindable curbs and manual spots all within skating distance.
Now I live in Brussels and I have spots pretty close near my place but I miss living in Paris, where the pavement is smooth almost everywhere and you can "just cruise" (ha) and hit spots for hours.

Brad Wesley

• Rep: 31
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2023, 01:57:27 AM »
About 20 minutes from my childhood home in western MA there's a hubba in the southwest residential area of UMass Amherst that for whatever reason shows up pretty frequently in video parts. I remember checking this spot out in the 90s and being too scared to try anything on it, but I didn't think pros of the future would bother making a detour to Amherst just to get clips on it.

Today I live within walking distance of Clipper which is another hubba I'm too intimidated to try anything on.

In conclusion, just not a hubba guy.

Terminal

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2023, 04:23:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That spot looks super hard to skate.

It reminds me of Erindale banks in Australia. My auntie lived about 30 seconds from that spot so I grew up going there all the time as a kid, just thinking it was some shitty old park. I tripped out once I realised it was like a 'legit' spot and pros would stop there on tours and shit
Erindale banks are cool. Sessioned there a few times way back when.

psychout_

• Rep: 5
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2023, 05:16:39 AM »
i live in paris right in between république and bastille, which are good spots, but i mean you just have to walk 5-10 minutes and you find 3 fine street spots anyway, the city's so big that we have instagram accounts dedicated to spots that haven't been skated yet

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -503
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2023, 05:51:45 AM »
I know it’s lame when kids say “there’s nothing to skate in my town!” when there’s always a parking lot nearby, but I’m curious about people’s living situations.

Do you live in close proximity to “legit” skate spots? Can you walk out your door and skate to a decent spot, or do you need to take a long car/bike/train ride to even find something remotely skateable? Is there a scene where you live, or do you need to travel closer to the city to find it?

For those who do live near spots, do you take it for granted? And for those who don’t, how do you stay motivated?

Hollywood 16 is 3 minutes from my house . It’s awful .
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2023, 08:01:31 AM »
One of my hometown's most famous spots got its own Half Cab colorway a couple of years back. Is that enough to be considered legit?

WavyDavy

• Rep: 127
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2023, 08:06:22 AM »
I live next to a parking lot, which is empty most of the time