Carhartt WIP
RVCA
Fourstar
Grown&Gifted
Huf
Dickies
Other
Fred Gall

Author Topic: Louie of Volcom  (Read 21462 times)

fredgallSOTY

Re: Louie of Volcom
« Reply #210 on: March 10, 2023, 12:09:59 PM »
Stussy was the best fit in my opinion.

Gonna wait to see what happens when Noah’s skate program goes under again because of fuck shit

DCLOVE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -496
« Reply #211 on: March 10, 2023, 12:14:07 PM »
I thought Noah was just post-supreme wannabe cool rich oldguy horsehockey. And is bdks brand real? There are too many brands, Louie should just go ride for supreme and get the check for skating flat in front of old supreme locations.
(possible trend watch: skating flat on Fairfax after supreme moves out the neighborhood becomes a thing)…moving into a strip mall with a parkinglot was a pretty cool move tho tbh.

If any pals can get an LA opening tee hit me on IG or PM me here. Let me know when you’re ready to make some real motherfuckin money.

PS it’s good to see gay posting again. Missed seeing your absurdity around here bud welcome back

Free max b

Free max b

A month later this post is funny as hell. That new supreme store was the worst possible idea for their brand at this point  . it was a mistake to open such a large store cause it’s now destroyed the exclusivity allure of the old supreme store that always had a line and some cool guys who are supreme adjacent lurking out front. Now you can just walk in and you can see just how empty the store is constantly driving by. It was the absolute worst move for them now that supreme hype is all but dead. The lines at least gave it an illusion of popularity and exclusivity , now it’s just another LA brand flagship that sits empty all day.

Even that opening day line was maybe a quarter of what an average Thursday drop line was.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 785
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #212 on: March 10, 2023, 12:32:27 PM »

nothing's been the since same

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 142
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #213 on: March 10, 2023, 01:07:36 PM »
Expand Quote
I thought Noah was just post-supreme wannabe cool rich oldguy horsehockey. And is bdks brand real? There are too many brands, Louie should just go ride for supreme and get the check for skating flat in front of old supreme locations.
(possible trend watch: skating flat on Fairfax after supreme moves out the neighborhood becomes a thing)…moving into a strip mall with a parkinglot was a pretty cool move tho tbh.

If any pals can get an LA opening tee hit me on IG or PM me here. Let me know when you’re ready to make some real motherfuckin money.

PS it’s good to see gay posting again. Missed seeing your absurdity around here bud welcome back

Free max b

Free max b
[close]

A month later this post is funny as hell. That new supreme store was the worst possible idea for their brand at this point  . it was a mistake to open such a large store cause it’s now destroyed the exclusivity allure of the old supreme store that always had a line and some cool guys who are supreme adjacent lurking out front. Now you can just walk in and you can see just how empty the store is constantly driving by. It was the absolute worst move for them now that supreme hype is all but dead. The lines at least gave it an illusion of popularity and exclusivity , now it’s just another LA brand flagship that sits empty all day.

Even that opening day line was maybe a quarter of what an average Thursday drop line was.

I just think it's a shame that it took over the legendary and iconic former Tower Records. Someone should've reopened it as a record store again.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

Sketch Hitchcock

• Rep: 175
« Reply #214 on: March 10, 2023, 01:14:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Free max b

Free max b
[close]

[close]

I just think it's a shame that it took over the legendary and iconic former Tower Records. Someone should've reopened it as a record store again.

That rent is too damn high, no way a record store could make it in that location today.

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 142
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #215 on: March 10, 2023, 01:22:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Free max b

Free max b
[close]

[close]

[close]

That rent is too damn high, no way a record store could make it in that location today.

Yeah, I know it's a pipedream. That's also a terrible location for a record store these days. I guess I'm just being nostalgic.

Kinda funny that a "skate shop" can make it in that location today though. Let's see how long it lasts.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

BL0B

• Rep: 420
« Reply #216 on: March 10, 2023, 03:25:24 PM »
that lockwood kickflip was great!

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 151
« Reply #217 on: March 10, 2023, 04:25:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Volcom to noah is a huge downgrade imo
[close]
money-wise yeah it probably is a downgrade, but from the ig post it sounds like he left volcom for ethical/environmental reasons. also volcom gear looks like shit compared to noah.

louie’s racking up some pretty high quality sponsors, crust bikes and now noah
[close]

Dude's one of the most respected, talented, popular pros out right now. If he wants to wear nice, well-made clothes over slave labor-made Volcom mall stuff then more power to him.

It's nice that he holds apparent ethical and environmental concerns. Choosing sponsors on a basis more considerate of the environment is always a positive step forward for our destructive and wasteful industry. Makes me wonder how many boards, trucks, wheels, and shoes he's going through in a week though.
[close]

Do your research before making crazy claims about slave labor. They’re fair labor associated alongside brands like Patagonia. They do their part for the environment and make sure all factories are legit.

https://www.volcom.com/blogs/responsible-manufacturing/volcom-achieves-fair-labor-association-accreditation

Slave labor was harsh, I'll admit. But Volcom still a major corp producing clothes in mass in countries with some of the poorest working conditions. Nike, Puma, Under Armour, and Hanes are also some brands with FLA Accreditation. A lot of "public commitment" statments and "blueprints". Plus I can't imagine the scope of the garment industry in these countries leaves for an optimal level of transparency between the workers, factories, and the FLA or its member companies with regards to conduct violations and stuff like that.

FirstTimeCaller411

• Rep: -12
« Reply #218 on: March 10, 2023, 04:32:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
money-wise yeah it probably is a downgrade, but from the ig post it sounds like he left volcom for ethical/environmental reasons. also volcom gear looks like shit compared to noah.

[close]

Dude's one of the most respected, talented, popular pros out right now. If he wants to wear nice, well-made clothes over slave labor-made Volcom mall stuff then more power to him.

It's nice that he holds apparent ethical and environmental concerns. Choosing sponsors on a basis more considerate of the environment is always a positive step forward for our destructive and wasteful industry. Makes me wonder how many boards, trucks, wheels, and shoes he's going through in a week though.
[close]

Do your research before making crazy claims about slave labor. They’re fair labor associated alongside brands like Patagonia. They do their part for the environment and make sure all factories are legit.

https://www.volcom.com/blogs/responsible-manufacturing/volcom-achieves-fair-labor-association-accreditation
[close]

Slave labor was harsh, I'll admit. But Volcom still a major corp producing clothes in mass in countries with some of the poorest working conditions. Nike, Puma, Under Armour, and Hanes are also some brands with FLA Accreditation. A lot of "public commitment" statments and "blueprints". Plus I can't imagine the scope of the garment industry in these countries leaves for an optimal level of transparency between the workers, factories, and the FLA or its member companies with regards to conduct violations and stuff like that.

My man, I understand that but they literally have to work with correct factories that offer day care for their employees, liveable wages (yes, Less then US labor but still what is above average in these places). I know there’s some “mall” vibe to the brand but they also have really good shit too. Every brand has wack aspects about it.

Curious question, do you wear Dickies? Cause what is the factory environment like to be able to still make money off $25 pants?

Same with brands like Quasi, Polar, Magenta, I like all those brands a lot but I highly doubt they are doing their due diligence to see what the factories are like that are making their garments.

Apparel can be a dirty business, no doubt, but there’s a lot of companies that do care and strive to work towards ethical resources.

BoxStuffer

• Rep: 118
« Reply #219 on: March 10, 2023, 05:18:03 PM »
I enjoy Louie's skateboarding. 

I will not purchase these pants.  Too rich for me....

BUT

I like that Louie's getting paid and there are people that get $250 pants.  :P
Enjoy your life.

burner

• Rep: 94
« Reply #220 on: March 10, 2023, 06:58:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

My man, I understand that but they literally have to work with correct factories that offer day care for their employees, liveable wages (yes, Less then US labor but still what is above average in these places). I know there’s some “mall” vibe to the brand but they also have really good shit too. Every brand has wack aspects about it.

Curious question, do you wear Dickies? Cause what is the factory environment like to be able to still make money off $25 pants?

Same with brands like Quasi, Polar, Magenta, I like all those brands a lot but I highly doubt they are doing their due diligence to see what the factories are like that are making their garments.

Apparel can be a dirty business, no doubt, but there’s a lot of companies that do care and strive to work towards ethical resources.

Yeah, I’m not going down the ethical/sweatshop rabbit hole, and I’m no saint, I’ll buy stuff that’s super cheap and also better stuff when I can afford it, but I wouldn’t put Polar, Magenta or Quasi in the same bracket as Volcom. Like Magenta are made in Europe, Polar has most stuff from Portugal and Poland, idk what their workshops are like, but they’re obviously on another quality (and price) level to Volcom. And same with Noah, expensive but really nice and lasts longer, good fabrics.

Isn’t the FLA just an NGO that companies pay to get the badge? It’s not like an actual independent/Gov OHS thing, like if Adidas etc aren’t paying FLA there’s no FLA, so I guess it’s kinda a little compromised, but hey it’s something and Volcom thinks it adds value to their brand so they pay for the FLA stamp.

Anyway, whatever gets you stoked, and if switching up to Noah lights a fire for Louie, then I am all for it cos that means more Louie footage.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #221 on: March 10, 2023, 07:03:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Lol are you a Volcom rep? They don't give a shit about anything but green washing.

manysnakes

« Reply #222 on: March 10, 2023, 07:24:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Lol are you a Volcom rep? They don't give a shit about anything but green washing.

No dude you don’t understand if we just consume correctly everything will be ok!

FirstTimeCaller411

« Reply #223 on: March 10, 2023, 07:37:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I fuckin’ wish I did anything with clothes or skateboarding haha. Didn’t mean to come off over the top. I just try to defend anyone that isn’t fast fashion like h and m shit.

whagman

• Rep: -13
« Reply #224 on: March 10, 2023, 07:51:10 PM »
i don’t know anything about economics and opportunity, so maybe i can be educated. obviously slave labor is bad, but what about those shitty factories where people can actually make money. am i so privileged that me buying expensive clothes for ethical reasons is somehow actually unethical? should i be using my money to buy shitty clothes so someone in a poor country and get the tiniest sliver of money?

one argument i can think of is if you buy the expensive stuff, maybe eventually the big corpo companies will see it hurt there money and change, but i don’t see that as likely.  how does everybody win?

FirstTimeCaller411

« Reply #225 on: March 10, 2023, 07:52:33 PM »
i don’t know anything about economics and opportunity, so maybe i can be educated. obviously slave labor is bad, but what about those shitty factories where people can actually make money. am i so privileged that me buying expensive clothes for ethical reasons is somehow actually unethical? should i be using my money to buy shitty clothes so someone in a poor country and get the tiniest sliver of money?

one argument i can think of is if you buy the expensive stuff, maybe eventually the big corpo companies will see it hurt there money and change, but i don’t see that as likely.  how does everybody win?

Wow, I actually have no idea. That’s a really interesting point.

whagman

• Rep: -13
« Reply #226 on: March 10, 2023, 07:54:22 PM »

and then it’s weird, cause the poorest in america can’t afford anything but the “slave labor” stuff. how do we demand more from big companies. idk, we’re all losing no matter how hard we try

Shrinedescender

« Reply #227 on: March 11, 2023, 08:23:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I buy most of my clothes secondhand. Aside from my regretful "slave labor" statement, the point I was trying to make in my original post was that it was a step forward in the industry from an ethical standpoint for pros like Louie to go from a brand like Volcom to a brand like Noah. I never meant to imply Volcom was the worst with regards to production in their bracket; they have some positive attributes like occasionally using eco-friendly materials and higher standard prices. But they still exist in that bracket as a major corpo mass producing clothes overseas in the countries with the poorest working conditions. Noah appears to me to be a company focused on smaller batch production with greater attention to material use and where they produce their garments; and the price certainly reflects that. I'm no expert in environmental economics, but if we assume consumption patterns remain constant, consumers shifting to spending $150-$200 on Noah from the same amount at Volcom seems to be making a better choice ethically and environmentally (for those that can afford to spend that much and take the hit in spending power).

Shrinedescender

« Reply #228 on: March 11, 2023, 08:34:09 AM »

Its definitely a tough situation with no easy answers, and the vilification of spending as privilege is a wrench some wouldn't know how to contend with. But I believe its a wrench only to be considered when making prescriptive statements about what other people should do. If you personally feel inclined to use your money for purchases that you know are better then you shouldn't let some imaginary tribunal judge you on your privilege in doing so. Furthermore, on your point about support those affected by the garment industry, the conditions created in those countries are a product of the companies which move in for cheaper labor and the governments which allow it. Supporting those companies sees the highest margins of your dollar fed back into the company for costs other than labor. If you want to support those people directly through other initiatives they might be engaged in which empower them more, that is probably the more impactful thing.; and you'd need to find out what kind of things like that are being run out of Bangledesh, Vietnam, China, etc. that do that.

switchfakie

« Reply #229 on: March 11, 2023, 08:42:55 AM »
who the fuck wouldve ever guessed noah

definitely not me, stupid ass brand

from one shitty brand to another

hopefully the bag was worth it gangsta

FirstTimeCaller411

« Reply #230 on: March 11, 2023, 09:00:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I buy most of my clothes secondhand. Aside from my regretful "slave labor" statement, the point I was trying to make in my original post was that it was a step forward in the industry from an ethical standpoint for pros like Louie to go from a brand like Volcom to a brand like Noah. I never meant to imply Volcom was the worst with regards to production in their bracket; they have some positive attributes like occasionally using eco-friendly materials and higher standard prices. But they still exist in that bracket as a major corpo mass producing clothes overseas in the countries with the poorest working conditions. Noah appears to me to be a company focused on smaller batch production with greater attention to material use and where they produce their garments; and the price certainly reflects that. I'm no expert in environmental economics, but if we assume consumption patterns remain constant, consumers shifting to spending $150-$200 on Noah from the same amount at Volcom seems to be making a better choice ethically and environmentally (for those that can afford to spend that much and take the hit in spending power).

All good! Debates are good. I understand what you’re saying. Either way, happy for Louie at the end of the day. Hope he made the right decision for the long haul and Noah supports him like he deserves.

Shrinedescender

« Reply #231 on: March 11, 2023, 09:26:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

All good! Debates are good. I understand what you’re saying. Either way, happy for Louie at the end of the day. Hope he made the right decision for the long haul and Noah supports him like he deserves.

Much respect

switchfakie

« Reply #232 on: March 11, 2023, 09:37:42 AM »
the slave labor argument is dumb asf, almost everything you own or eat is made from slave/cheap labor

computer? slave labor
phone? slave labor
clothing? slave labor

ive noticed specifically westerners try to act all high and mighty about it when their own countries are usually made from it and/or massive plundering of other peaceful societies. look at how these fucking muttons complained about the 2022 world cup. comparing a 1st world country to a 3rd world country doesnt make any sense

slavery/cheap labor is gonna exist no matter what & we're going to indulge in it one way or another - so shut the fuck up about it selective ass hypocrites

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #233 on: March 11, 2023, 12:31:00 PM »
Its not FUBU? Damn!
Miss you Rusty Berings

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #234 on: March 11, 2023, 06:19:22 PM »
lotta dudes not understanding the potential power of getting on noah early. they're one of of the brands that could be the next supreme, which would get him a bigger bag than volcom would ever give him

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #235 on: March 11, 2023, 06:21:08 PM »
lotta dudes not understanding the potential power of getting on noah early. they're one of of the brands that could be the next supreme, which would get him a bigger bag than volcom would ever give him

Weren't they supposed to be that like 5-6 years ago tho?

switchfakie

« Reply #236 on: March 11, 2023, 07:51:36 PM »

arent they a christian brand hence the cross logo?

high doubt at your claim my g - 0% possibility theyll be the next supreme

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #237 on: March 11, 2023, 08:03:18 PM »
For good or for bad, there's no way it's the next supreme, it's a bougie version of Huf which is why Louie is on......

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2254
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #238 on: March 11, 2023, 09:28:06 PM »
For good or for bad, there's no way it's the next supreme, it's a bougie version of Huf which is why Louie is on......
So… weed socks, but $120 a pair?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #239 on: March 11, 2023, 09:58:14 PM »
$99 banana hammocks….