Author Topic: Mark Appleyard- Chromeball interview  (Read 8341 times)

more$steez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: Mark Appleyard- Chromeball interview
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2023, 12:36:14 PM »
Great read.

IF -- big IF -- there's a Mount Rushmore of Canadian skateboarding he's on it. Along with McCrank, Howard and probably McKay.

Those Sorry videos were part of one of the greatest eras in skating. Early to mid-2000s was my childhood. And those guys at Flip were special. Especially for us non-Americans on the message boards.

Apples, Arto and Rowley defined those Sorry vids, in my opinion. Even with all the talent on that Flip roster.

Seeing him and McCrank and McKay and Howard in such huge videos -- Yeah Right, Sorry, DC video -- all made the dream as a Canadian kid that much realer.

Props Apples. And Placebo still hits to this day.

Trilogy

• Rep: -301
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2023, 01:59:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Marc Johnson, Biebel, Brian Anderson , Mike Carroll all pushed the pace pretty hard up until about 2012 i would say (BA had quit long before thne i think for Anti Hero)
[close]

Yeah I guess I was kinda thinking the undeveloped guys brought on like Apples would have been, like Biebel as you said, but I was never really into Bubbles skating so I never really charted that rise.

First, if Apples got on Girl was after Flip so he was already established.

Second, what are you talking about "I can’t really think of anyone who sustained or even elevated their abilities while on Crail" ??

Richard Mulder,  Stevie Williams, Mike York, Paul Rodriguez, Jereme Rogers, etc, etc...

About the interview, it was really good to read his opinion about his whole skate career and Mark Appleyard is one of my favorite skaters and a skateboarding style God.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 04:42:00 PM by Trilogy »

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -274
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2023, 04:30:23 PM »
One of the best styles ever - Great read!

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2023, 06:06:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Marc Johnson, Biebel, Brian Anderson , Mike Carroll all pushed the pace pretty hard up until about 2012 i would say (BA had quit long before thne i think for Anti Hero)
[close]

Yeah I guess I was kinda thinking the undeveloped guys brought on like Apples would have been, like Biebel as you said, but I was never really into Bubbles skating so I never really charted that rise.
[close]

Second, what are you talking about "I can’t really think of anyone who sustained or even elevated their abilities while on Crail" ??

Richard Mulder,  Stevie Williams, Mike York, Paul Rodriguez, Jereme Rogers, etc, etc...

About the interview, it was really good to read his opinion about his whole skate career and Mark Appleyard is one of my favorite skaters and a skateboarding style God.

Prod and Stevie felt like they did most of their stuff after Crail - though I am fuzzy on Stevie’s years on Crail.   Chocolate Tour came out just before I got into skating, but he always felt removed from the team.   

Jereme flamed out hard with extracurriculars.  Guys like Mike Mo and Eldridge and Malto never reached their potential because of injuries.  Elijah left for FA.   

Mulder and York were middle video style guys.   Love their skating, but I don’t think they were ever pushing it

I’ll give it to Cory Kennedy though.   Tragedy has obviously changed things, but he did a lot in his time

LebowskisRug

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2023, 06:28:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Prod and Stevie felt like they did most of their stuff after Crail - though I am fuzzy on Stevie’s years on Crail.   Chocolate Tour came out just before I got into skating, but he always felt removed from the team.   

Jereme flamed out hard with extracurriculars.  Guys like Mike Mo and Eldridge and Malto never reached their potential because of injuries.  Elijah left for FA.   

Mulder and York were middle video style guys.   Love their skating, but I don’t think they were ever pushing it

I’ll give it to Cory Kennedy though.   Tragedy has obviously changed things, but he did a lot in his time

Ever heard of The Reason? According to Wikipedia Kayo was founded in 2004 and Its Official came out in 2006 so he was also on for the DC video.

If you think Mike York was middle video you need to sit your ass down and review any of his footage from the 90's. He was a top tier street skater.

Also- you ever heard of Marc Johnson? Had that Fully Flared part that came out 3 full years after Hot Chocolate?

Colin Robinson

• Rep: 65
  • energy vampire
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2023, 06:33:53 PM »
He was my favorite skater when I was about 12/13, going to read this right now.

lazer69

• Rep: -96
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2023, 07:37:46 PM »
Must have seen his flip parts hundreds of times. When I was learning nollie flips I specifically studied him

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2023, 09:06:44 PM »
Great read.

IF -- big IF -- there's a Mount Rushmore of Canadian skateboarding he's on it. Along with McCrank, Howard and probably McKay.

Those Sorry videos were part of one of the greatest eras in skating. Early to mid-2000s was my childhood. And those guys at Flip were special. Especially for us non-Americans on the message boards.

Apples, Arto and Rowley defined those Sorry vids, in my opinion. Even with all the talent on that Flip roster.

Seeing him and McCrank and McKay and Howard in such huge videos -- Yeah Right, Sorry, DC video -- all made the dream as a Canadian kid that much realer.

Growing up in Toronto in the late 90's to mid 2000s, Apples was that dude. Like Toronto had pros before, but most of the big name guys were noticed moving out West (McCrank, Ferguson), or being from there (Howard and McKay). You were starting to see more Toronto spots in videos like Misled Youth or This is Skateboarding, but Apples was the guy who made it. And, now we have someone like Bobby whose killing it while living here when that was almost unseen previously (Morgan held it down for years too). I personally think Apples had the best style when it came to getting tech on rails and hubbas. Guys like Cole and Koston were also killing it around then but not with the same smoothness.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -361
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2023, 09:36:43 PM »
Great read.

I'm subbing out McKay for Wade D. That man was the next up out of Canadia post 00s and fully delivered.

dannyprovolone

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2023, 01:19:55 AM »
Apples on girl would have been wack

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -213
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2023, 01:26:57 AM »

okay but why

sle_epy

• Rep: -95
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2023, 04:06:09 AM »
Alpha
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 370
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2023, 07:06:56 AM »
All the grand stone chiseling Canadians in this thread just casually pretending Travis Stenger shouldn’t get all four depictions on their maple leaf Mt Rushmore…smh, come on boys. Put some respect on the god of the great white north.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

steezenking

• Rep: 15
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2023, 07:55:26 AM »
Appleyard is my favorite skater. The kickflip over the handrail in really sorry that starts the second song is the best kickflip ever done imo.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2279
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2023, 08:44:09 AM »
Take his Sorry or Really Sorry part and throw it somewhere in Yeah Right

...could have worked but I think he would have left at some point

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

dannyprovolone

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2023, 08:52:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

they would not have let him shine like he did in sorry

could see him having like 4 tricks in a pretty sweet montage tho

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2279
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2023, 08:56:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

they would not have let him shine like he did in sorry

could see him having like 4 tricks in a pretty sweet montage tho
That I could see haha

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1193
  • old and in the way
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2023, 09:06:14 AM »
Brass is down for the Apples

Trilogy

• Rep: -301
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2023, 09:27:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Great read.

[close]

I'm subbing out McKay for Wade D. That man was the next up out of Canadia post 00s and fully delivered.

Canada skating Mount Ruchmore is - Rick Howard, Colin McKay, Appleyard and Wade Desarmo.

I dont really understand the hype around Rick McCrank, his skating is boring and his trick selection is very very limited.

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2023, 11:55:37 AM »
If you think Mike York was middle video you need to sit your ass down and review any of his footage from the 90's. He was a top tier street skater.

I'm a big Mike York fan, saw him skate a lot in person and bought product off of him at Pier 7, but there is no universe where he was ever a top tier street skater. Yeah he's got his crazy tre flick and could do some solid switch ledge tricks, but in terms of Pier 7 locals, he doesn't stack up to Lavar and Marcus McBride, Henry Sanchez, Rob Welsh, Karl Watson, JB Gillet, etc.

On topic, Apples never would have fit in on Girl. I'm glad he found his band with Arto and Geoff, and French Fred was the maestro pulling it all together. We are blessed these guys joined forces when they did.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2023, 12:48:20 PM »
I’ve always thought Howard’s love for Apples is what lead them to getting bizarro apples/brophy on ten years later….. gang….

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -361
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2023, 01:36:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Great read.

[close]

[close]

Canada skating Mount Ruchmore is - Rick Howard, Colin McKay, Appleyard and Wade Desarmo.

I dont really understand the hype around Rick McCrank, his skating is boring and his trick selection is very very limited.

It's all personal opinion but you sound wild and that you haven't watched enough of his footage. Not to mention that he's still skating regularly.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -766
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2023, 02:00:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Great read.

[close]

[close]

Limited trick selection? He's an ATV beast
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2023, 02:24:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm a big Mike York fan, saw him skate a lot in person and bought product off of him at Pier 7, but there is no universe where he was ever a top tier street skater. Yeah he's got his crazy tre flick and could do some solid switch ledge tricks, but in terms of Pier 7 locals, he doesn't stack up to Lavar and Marcus McBride, Henry Sanchez, Rob Welsh, Karl Watson, JB Gillet, etc.

On topic, Apples never would have fit in on Girl. I'm glad he found his band with Arto and Geoff, and French Fred was the maestro pulling it all together. We are blessed these guys joined forces when they did.
I wouldn't call York mid-tier since the guy opened up both Chocolate Tour and Paco, which are too amazing videos. Like, he never had the skating to end a Crailtap video especially since he was pretty low impact compared to someone like Koston. But, when I think middle video, I think of guys buried with a forgettable part somewhere in the middle, not the guy relied upon to open the video.

work_lurker

• Rep: 104
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2023, 02:27:44 PM »
I remember that Transworld cover and tripping out not sure what the fuck he was doing, or where he was going/coming from. Never saw the footage either, but chalked it up to me not realizing it was in one of his parts, or for some commercial or something. Glad he mentioned it was the only cover he had that wasn't filmed, and it was a backside flip. Re-looking at the photo in the interview, I realize it's also that same spot with the round flatbar off the crazy drop that was hot for a minute. All these years later I finally had my itch scratched. Thanks Apples.
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2023, 03:17:55 PM »
I feel like we would have seen a lot more cool shit from him post flip if he was a legacy pro for Adidas. Globe and element never produced a lot of content during the 2010s. An apples mulhern edit?

nonickname

• Rep: 87
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2023, 04:33:43 PM »
All the grand stone chiseling Canadians in this thread just casually pretending Travis Stenger shouldn’t get all four depictions on their maple leaf Mt Rushmore…smh, come on boys. Put some respect on the god of the great white north.

With a smaller statue of naked Weiss near the ticket booth.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Tiltmode Army Reservist

• Rep: 22
  • RIP Ben Raemers
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2023, 04:42:56 PM »
One of my all-time favorites. This was an excellent interview, and his story about being there when Arto switch front boardslid the Hollywood High 16 was great. I enjoyed Mark's quotes on PJ Ladd too.
RIP Ben Raemers

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2023, 04:58:54 PM »
One of my all-time favorites. This was an excellent interview, and his story about being there when Arto switch front boardslid the Hollywood High 16 was great. I enjoyed Mark's quotes on PJ Ladd too.

Was the warm up on the 12 ever filmed?   That was still pretty good in the pre-Arto SOTY world.   (Fakie back lip a13 is a super underrated trick from that part)

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2023, 07:04:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I wouldn't call York mid-tier since the guy opened up both Chocolate Tour and Paco, which are too amazing videos. Like, he never had the skating to end a Crailtap video especially since he was pretty low impact compared to someone like Koston. But, when I think middle video, I think of guys buried with a forgettable part somewhere in the middle, not the guy relied upon to open the video.
[close]

I guess it all depends on how we’re defining top tier. When I hear that phrase I think of people who are in the conversation of best skaters at the time, and in terms of 90s skaters I find it hard to believe York would be mentioned. Top side of mid tier a more accurate description? York is solid, but if you were to take the pier 7 guys he’d be on the the b team with Lee Smith, Pat Washington, Brad Johnson, et al. Wasn’t thinking of it from the perspective of where in the video his parts were.

I completely forgot he opened those vids.   As the guy who originated this convo - never meant any slander against him or mulder or “middle part guys” like Ben Sanchez or any of those other guys.   They had amazing parts, but they were always guys who felt like parts were just accumulated footage of day to day skating at a high level, rather than going out a trying to get a crazy part (like Appleyard was doing for Sorry) — and there’s nothing wrong with that at all.   It was pre Ty Evans generator days and I loved the simplicity (for lack of better word) of that.