Author Topic: Longest lasting sole?  (Read 1224 times)

WhoCareZ

Longest lasting sole?
« on: April 11, 2023, 07:38:00 PM »
My biggest problem with skate shoes is losing grip from the bottom sole tread wearing down. Mainly skate flatground, and my last couple pairs have been halfcabs and lakai brightons.

I can shoegoo the hell out of the toe to avoid holes where I flick, but without out failure my tread wears down faster than any other part of the shoe. What are your thoughts/advice on best practices/best skate shoes that have the longest lasting sole before replacement is needed?

jsettle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Longest lasting sole?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 07:49:43 PM »
Vans soles suck in my opinion...emerica vulc soles are the worst....every pair of blazers i skate, the sole always outlasts the shoe for me and its always the longest lasting sole shoe that i skate often.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 314
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 08:05:56 PM »
I hear the Etnies Michelin soled shoes last the longest. Haven't skated them myself.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 08:16:57 PM »
Etnies Michelin shoes...sadly they're buttass ugly.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 09:32:35 PM »
Yup, those Etnies Michelin soles won't die

Terminal

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2023, 12:04:21 AM »
 Kid I know went through those Etnies Michelin very fast.

Terminal

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2023, 12:10:21 AM »
Kastel Oyolar, despite being a pretty good shoe, was the fastest wearing sole I've ever experienced.

Chris Senn Emerica lasted pretty well from memory

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2023, 01:13:56 AM »
I've had a few pairs of Etnies with the Michelin sole. They have lasted me the longest out of any soles in recent memory, but yes, for some the styling/design leaves much to be desired.

However if we're talking about all-time/no longer in production kicks, in my experience the Airwalks that had the Goodyear soles lasted a long, long time - even longer than the Michelin soles. I feel like they seriously just bonded tire treads to the cupsoles (the soles were black rubber like the tires, but that might have been for branding). They weren't that flexible though and there was close to zero boardfeel.
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2023, 02:51:40 AM »
Adidas cups are holding up pretty well. Never went trough the sole before the upper.
So maybe Tyshawn lows/mids, Busenitz, Puig etc
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2023, 03:30:00 AM »
Simple Shoes. outsole holding up pretty good. the suedes are durable

marosb

• Rep: 2
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2023, 03:47:24 AM »
I have the same problem as you, rarely get hole in upper before losing grip. Curretnly I have Blazers Mid and sole looks really good after month of skating plus half of the duration is on new grip, typically at this time i could see the sole slowly wear out on vans shoes (those honeycombs in upper part of the shoe getting smaller in depth).

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2023, 06:47:58 AM »
Accel OG sole lasted significantly longer than the pair of Maranas with the Michelin sole I had right before FWIW

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2023, 06:48:50 AM »
cup soles in general seem to last longer than vulc
thicker soles = less board feel
Es Accell has a very chunky sole that lasted me ages. I would wager most Cups from Sole Tech are pretty decent especially from what others have said in the thread about Etnies. I would say that is their strong point over the big 4 except maybe Nike.

Both Cupsole and Vulc from Adidas seem to last me long enough.
I haven't had Cons in awhile but the soles lasted quite a while. I just blew out the sides super quick. I could have made those shoes last longer.
NB#, and Vans imo wear out a tiny bit faster but I still find I am getting enough life out of them to justify the purchase.
Never had Nike SBs. I don't live near skate shops and I don't particularly like them anyway.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2023, 06:55:07 AM »
Can’t say they are the best, but the gum Tyshawn soles last way longer than the white ones….

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2023, 07:03:10 AM »
I usually get almost 6 months out of adidas busenitz cupsoles, skating 4-5 time a week but doing almost 0 flip tricks
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

fernando the skater

• Rep: 114
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2023, 07:03:24 AM »
I've had a few pairs of Etnies with the Michelin sole. They have lasted me the longest out of any soles in recent memory, but yes, for some the styling/design leaves much to be desired.

However if we're talking about all-time/no longer in production kicks, in my experience the Airwalks that had the Goodyear soles lasted a long, long time - even longer than the Michelin soles. I feel like they seriously just bonded tire treads to the cupsoles (the soles were black rubber like the tires, but that might have been for branding). They weren't that flexible though and there was close to zero boardfeel.

You can get recycled car tyres that you stick on the bottom of your shoes. It's a downhill longboard thing. 4mm thick so not super chunky, but I guess board feel wouldn't be great.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2023, 07:12:56 AM »
if it was like 1mm thick that might work, but you would have no grip at all. i think you need cut more notches into them. i like the idea though, i think it is definintely possible to execute. I love when people make their own clothes, and recycled stuff is even better.

i seem to remember some gimmicky thing that you use to be able to put over the sides / laces area to stop "ollie burn" in the early 2000s... am i making this up or does anyone else remember this? lol

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2023, 07:38:20 AM »
+1 Michelin soles from Etnies
I am currently kicking adidas superstar and the sole looks great after a month of skating.

SaySo

• Rep: 113
  • "Yellow buttercup. Helicopters. Orange buttercat."
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2023, 08:33:46 AM »
if it was like 1mm thick that might work, but you would have no grip at all. i think you need cut more notches into them. i like the idea though, i think it is definintely possible to execute. I love when people make their own clothes, and recycled stuff is even better.

i seem to remember some gimmicky thing that you use to be able to put over the sides / laces area to stop "ollie burn" in the early 2000s... am i making this up or does anyone else remember this? lol

Are you talking about the leather flap/patch thing that would be laced into the bottom couple of lace holes then laid over the side of the shoe and glued to the sole? (Don’t know the exact method since I never bought one, but that’s how it looked from the pictures.)

Edit: this thing? https://www.ebay.com/itm/162792260402
"I've got a friend of polar nature, and it's all peace. You and I seek similar stars, but can't sit at the same feast."

"Not every pony grows up to be a Pegasus."

"There's smoke in my iris, but I painted a sunny day on the insides of my eyelids."

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2023, 10:37:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Are you talking about the leather flap/patch thing that would be laced into the bottom couple of lace holes then laid over the side of the shoe and glued to the sole? (Don’t know the exact method since I never bought one, but that’s how it looked from the pictures.)

Edit: this thing? https://www.ebay.com/itm/162792260402

hahaha amazing yep something exactly like this!!

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2023, 10:41:43 AM »
Sort of stuck in a thought loop about this.

Vans Rowans are my go-to shoes atm, and the soles don't last the longest. I kinda want to switch, but I got burned a bit when I bought some GT Blazers which felt really bad on my feet. This bites for two reasons

1. I actively enjoy how the Rowans fit, wide toe box that comes to a decently pointed toe, nice collar feel under the ankle, fairly strong construction on the upper.

2. I ride mostly transition and have limited flip tricks. Aside from ollies and the occasional heel/kickflip, I barely tear up the upper.

I've considered trying the Vans BMX 114's with the wafflecup, just to get more life out of the sole and they seem somewhat similar build to the Rowans. I've always ran vulc shoes so jumping into a cup makes me hesitant.

In short: what shoes are similar to the Rowans that have soles that hold up longer. Vulc is preferred, but i get that a cup is almost always going to last longer.

Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Lo-fi Explosion

• Rep: 7
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2023, 04:22:29 AM »
First iteration fallen vulcs, with the black sole, lasted forever

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2023, 04:29:29 AM »
This thread made me really happy about my 2 pairs of michelin sole joslins I'm skating soon.

I think éS changed something about their accel slim sole btw. I had some 2 years ago and they didn't last at all, recently skated a new pair of accel slim mids and the sole lasted longer than the upper. Still not very long, but much longer than the last ones.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2023, 04:59:54 AM »
808 sole is great
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

twic3

• Rep: 16
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2023, 09:38:44 AM »
Can’t say they are the best, but the gum Tyshawn soles last way longer than the white ones….

Every gumsole adidas I've owned lasted months.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2023, 04:29:32 PM »
Michelin soles from Marana/Joslin easily beat every other company on the market. Only thing that came close is some Es soles and Blazer Mid PRM soles
Super Champion Fun Zone

Whicker

• Rep: 10
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2023, 09:29:17 PM »
I've had my Joslin Michelin for a long time. They are very stiff new though and took a while to break in.