Author Topic: Independent Stage IV  (Read 6764 times)

Septa Bus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -59
Independent Stage IV
« on: April 18, 2023, 10:24:44 AM »
Didn’t see any threads talking about these trucks. Heard all the guff about these and decided to try them out - anyone put some miles on em yet?

Coming from Ace AF1s, first thing I noticed was the kingpin clearance isn’t great and it’ll likely melt the nut/kingpin together like other Indy’s I’ve ridden.

Swapped the bushings for some harder ones and I’m enjoying the ride so far, but curious if anyone has had any bad luck with them off rip.
Expand Quote
This is shaping up to be Bunt of the Year
[close]
I hope you like home runs fucker

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Independent Stage IV
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 04:57:57 PM »
Didn’t see any threads talking about these trucks. Heard all the guff about these and decided to try them out - anyone put some miles on em yet?

Coming from Ace AF1s, first thing I noticed was the kingpin clearance isn’t great and it’ll likely melt the nut/kingpin together like other Indy’s I’ve ridden.

Swapped the bushings for some harder ones and I’m enjoying the ride so far, but curious if anyone has had any bad luck with them off rip.

The all inclusive Indy thread is here, with quite a few similar stories and other relevant information, although it is mixed in with all the other various stages, styles, etc.

Well worth a look:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=123563.0

There are 45 pages in total but the Stage 4 reissue stuff is from about page 40, with a lot here, page 43:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=123563.1260

Hope that helps.

:)

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

IpathCats

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 05:44:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The all inclusive Indy thread is here, with quite a few similar stories and other relevant information, although it is mixed in with all the other various stages, styles, etc.

Well worth a look:

There are 45 pages in total but the Stage 4 reissue stuff is from about page 40, with a lot here, page 43:

Hope that helps.

what a nice guy that @Mbrimson88

Banned from the room

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 07:46:37 AM »
I'm fighting not to buy. I need them super badly. I can't afford shit at the moment.

Also I'm sure all the big sized ones will be sold out

Septa Bus

• Rep: -59
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 04:53:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Well worth a look:

Hope that helps.

thanks @Mbrimson88 !

thats a strange way of discussing all types of trucks under one brand - i only made this thread since the stage IVs seem to be causing significant hoopla.

I'm fighting not to buy. I need them super badly. I can't afford shit at the moment.

Also I'm sure all the big sized ones will be sold out

they're worth a go like any other truck, i have no grievances other than the kingping issue which i just swapped for one of their down low baseplate/kingpin combo. great truck now.

also curious why they chose the 136/146/151/166 sizing - gonna assume they are some ancient indy measurements

Expand Quote
This is shaping up to be Bunt of the Year
[close]
I hope you like home runs fucker

JimmyFive

• Rep: 60
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2023, 02:05:03 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread! It's hard sifting through the Indy thread for information.
Yes I think the sizing may have been the original sizing for these trucks? I know Indy jumped around a fair bit before settling on the standard 149,159,169 etc sizing increments.

I love my Stage IV 166's. I'm coming from Ace classics. I feel aren't quite as responsive in the way that they are not as "twitchy" as Ace. They are more stable at centre and I feel the turn is deeper and more "carvy". Some of this might be because they are 2mm higher. The bushings offer a lot of rebound - I can pump better on these than my Ace. I'm getting less wheelbite - probably due to the height difference. I noticed that my kingpin nut took a bit of a beating - they don't have as much kingpin clearance as my Aces but they grind just as well if not better.
I'd love it if they came out with a 177 size for my big boards and maybe an inverted KP version. I can see these replacing my Ace trucks permanently when they die.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2023, 04:22:05 AM »
love my pair of 151s. perfect performing trucks, no break in whatsoever. hope indy keeps them around and does drop these occasionally again. i'd like to get a backup pair at some point, but most of them are gone now and they were hard to acquire anyways, since many shops only sold them in store and only advertised them online.

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2023, 02:52:06 AM »
love my pair of 151s. perfect performing trucks, no break in whatsoever. hope indy keeps them around and does drop these occasionally again. i'd like to get a backup pair at some point, but most of them are gone now and they were hard to acquire anyways, since many shops only sold them in store and only advertised them online.

Seen that SoCal had about ten sets on deck, 42 on the set?

I too really fucking love mine. That snap back to center is awesome. Feel great in hand and grind wonderful. Can’t speak to the bushings as I put 88a Supercush in mine.

If they’re only gonna be a round a bit I’ll be picking another set to put in the fridge.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2023, 03:22:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Seen that SoCal had about ten sets on deck, 42 on the set?

I too really fucking love mine. That snap back to center is awesome. Feel great in hand and grind wonderful. Can’t speak to the bushings as I put 88a Supercush in mine.

If they’re only gonna be a round a bit I’ll be picking another set to put in the fridge.

I posted this in the main Indy thread, but it is relevant here:

Re Stage 4 trucks

I thought they were coming in as a standard line, with NHS bringing them out on their own online store this or next month, from what others had said.

As I haven't really followed them as they barely made it out here to Australia (only a few people got a set or two) and the main release is still yet to happen here as per info from one of the bigger main shops, I am guessing there are going to be a whole lot more of them soon enough.

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2023, 06:42:38 AM »
Yeah, I believe they’re coming out as a regular model in the coming months

Either way, I stocked up on a whole bunch of sets.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2254
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2023, 12:22:35 PM »
I wrangled w/ the urge to stick up on these in case they were a brief historic burp on the overall skate hardware timeline, but came to some peace after deciding that there is simply no way Indy would pay to have molds made up for these things if they weren’t planning on running them for at least a couple of production cycles.
Way I figure: this buys me a little time to decide if they are “the truck for me” before I stock up for the rest of ever.
What are the other SLAP user’s thoughts on stockpiling in the possible event your fave product has a short lived privation life span?
I wrestle with this hoarding ideology everytime I discover a product I love.
It happens to me w/ deck & wheel shapes on the regs.
Trucks are a lickle bit more “glacial” in the movement of their production timelines, but I find myself wondering sometimes: should I have picked up an extra set, or twelve, of these things while they’re still being made?!?
Your thoughts, please.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2023, 12:33:24 PM »
I wrangled w/ the urge to stick up on these in case they were a brief historic burp on the overall skate hardware timeline, but came to some peace after deciding that there is simply no way Indy would pay to have molds made up for these things if they weren’t planning on running them for at least a couple of production cycles.
Way I figure: this buys me a little time to decide if they are “the truck for me” before I stock up for the rest of ever.
What are the other SLAP user’s thoughts on stockpiling in the possible event your fave product has a short lived privation life span?
Trucks are a lickle bit more “glacial” in the movement of their production timelines, but I find myself wondering sometimes: should I have picked up an extra set, or twelve, of these things while they’re still being made?!?
Your thoughts, please.

Stock up whenever in doubt. Especially if you can afford to do so.

That’s what I always do, and you can always resell should you decide to move on any particular item.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Mulldrifter

• Rep: 18
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2023, 03:07:53 PM »
i think i have already asked but any news on about when they are going to be released in europe ?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2023, 03:12:54 PM »
i think i have already asked but any news on about when they are going to be released in europe ?

already have been and mostly sold out. they went to core shops only afaik. so no way to buy them at skatedeluxe. was lucky enough to purchase a pair from freedom skateshop from austria. maybe check their site if they have any left. let's hope for a swift rerelease! it seems they sold fairly well.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 318
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2023, 04:44:19 PM »
Your thoughts, please.

This is how you end up as one of the posters in 'gear madness' thread with stacks of shit you'll never skate. One extra pair, sure, but more than that is insane.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2023, 06:09:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Your thoughts, please.
[close]

This is how you end up as one of the posters in 'gear madness' thread with stacks of shit you'll never skate. One extra pair, sure, but more than that is insane.

Ha yeah, been there, done that...

But really trucks last the longest, so in 2017 when I saw Standard 144s finally came out, I tried one set, thought they were great and got a few more after I had skated these ones for a while, but I didn't go out and get ten sets all at once at first.  That came later.

Now I am on 149s and can't see that changing any time soon, so I have more than enough to never need trucks again.

It doesn't help I still have boards of all sizes set up and backups of all sizes of trucks too, but I am interested in seeing these Stage 4 when they come out, but not keen enough to change over everything and if I do end up with one set, it will be for a cruiser board more than anything.

After all I still have Stage 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 trucks on boards as well, almost all cruisers, given nothing performs for me as well as Stage 11 for everything and I have Ace trucks if I really want a lot of turn, so all bases are covered really.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2023, 08:57:41 PM »
I love them. But my only gripe but not serious cause I’m a little poosey boi

The bushings, they are a different size and they are loosey goosey like aces but they do have better stability than aces

The trucks are solid though. Remind me a lot of krux k3(the ones from early 2000-like 2010 until they came out with the worse version the k4)

I tested the hangars to fit on some ikp baseplates and they fit with the stage 4 bushings but I didn’t check with the normal stage 11 bushings(go figure) 

Overall I prefer these over the regular stage 11 so I hope they keep a run going for some time. Hopefully they come out with harder bushings too. I threw in some random white bushings that are similar in size(I think they’re stock aces or krux bushings, the top bushing has that extra lip) and they have more rebound than the stock red actually so ima stick with these for now or man up and break in the stock

Be really cool if they come out with a gc hollow version, I’d take 2 of 136 and 146

Edit: I really like the mid 144 cause lower and easier to pop but it’s crazy these are taller but I like them most of the Indy line. Maybe cause of the single wing and being solid piece with no innovations. Just a old solid truck, built tough.
yes

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 835
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2023, 07:50:31 AM »
Seems like hollow KPs and Hangers on the Stage 4 defeats the point of a retro truck. If you want all the modern fixings get a stage 11.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2023, 08:54:28 AM »
Seems like hollow KPs and Hangers on the Stage 4 defeats the point of a retro truck. If you want all the modern fixings get a stage 11.

Hollow kingpins and hangers on a Stage 4 retro truck could enhance performance and provide customization options without detracting from its nostalgic charm. Embracing modern features doesn't defeat the purpose but rather adds versatility and improved functionality to the skateboard. While I personally find no issue with the weight of my trucks, Some of my friends have expressed concerns about them being too heavy. My intention is simply to share my enthusiasm for Indys and have my friends appreciate them as well, without feeling burdened by the weight. I want them to experience Indys and discover the unique benefits they offer, beyond any initial perceptions of weight.... I just want my friends to stop skating Krux. Its embarrassing. Jokes. lol

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 835
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2023, 09:00:51 AM »
Yeah, I see what your saying but disagree. They wouldn't be stage 4s if they had all those modern features. They'd be a tasteless eyesore.

Enjoy the 4s for what they are. A great turning, low KP clearance, beast of truck and nod to the past.

Then do yourself a favor and get some Ace once you're over the retrospection.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2023, 04:35:06 PM »
Yeah, I see what your saying but disagree. They wouldn't be stage 4s if they had all those modern features. They'd be a tasteless eyesore.

Enjoy the 4s for what they are. A great turning, low KP clearance, beast of truck and nod to the past.

I am one of the top kooks from the trucks thread, I’ve already bought all of the aces

To me, they’re kinda over rated

Yeah they can maneuver fast, turn quick and mostly deep for you freaks who like it loose

But they aren’t stable at all, unlike the stage 4 which maybe turn a slight slower than aces but they turn deeper and have better stability

I’ve had the 44 reg and low and the 33 regular and ordered the hard bushings from ace themselves just the bushings, i actually have 3 pairs maybe 4th somewhere of ace 44 and 2 pairs of 33 and I have some classics and gave away a set to my friend

I really wanted to ride the hype train and be a pilot but for the life of me the kingpin is too long, the geo is too loose, I can never tighten them enough til I’m kooking it with like 4-5 threads exposed, and half of my lands I’m swerving into wheelbite and go airborn, I’m not an Indy die hard spouting F the rest but with all the trucks I’ve tried so far I like these stage 4 better than aces

I personally think thunders are the best trucks but they’re always on and off for me, some days I’m Bryan Herman and tre flips and hard flips are nothing and other days I feel that pushed out wheelbase making me rocket pop and I give up
yes

JimmyFive

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2023, 12:50:18 AM »

In my book Stage IV outperform Ace in every single way. I don't think I can go back to my Ace trucks after experiencing the carve of these guys.

I'm stocking up on another set of these for fear they sell out again or if they are a flash in the pan and Indy stop making them. I've hit up Brad from Riptide - he's thinking about making Stage IV pivots but thinks they may just be a reissue and gone by next week..

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2023, 12:53:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

In my book Stage IV outperform Ace in every single way. I don't think I can go back to my Ace trucks after experiencing the carve of these guys.

I'm stocking up on another set of these for fear they sell out again or if they are a flash in the pan and Indy stop making them. I've hit up Brad from Riptide - he's thinking about making Stage IV pivots but thinks they may just be a reissue and gone by next week..

Your scaring me, I really like these throwbacks

Might have to stock an extra set too then
yes

BL0B

• Rep: 420
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2023, 10:11:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i put regular indy riptides pivots in my 4's and they worked great.

i also prefer stage 4's over af-1 & classics. if indy would just drop some weight off them, they'd be perfect imo.

i'm riding boards with classic 66's & af1 77's, thinking about d.i.y-ing some 215's down to 9.5" and just being done with ace's. i have a couple boards that need 9.5" trucks.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 10:23:10 PM by BL0B »

JimmyFive

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2023, 07:59:01 AM »
Nice. I tried the regulars and they aren't a match - pretty loose. The riptide ace classic pivots are a better fit. I reckon if Brad gets enough requests to make exact moulds of the Stage IV he would do it. It's been done before ;)

logjammin

• Rep: 348
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2023, 08:47:10 AM »
The folks at riptide are great people and they've always sorted me out when I rip the pivots but I'm done with them for that reason, they're no different than Ace classic or AF1 pivots, I rip them all to shreds from slappies in a short amount of time. Those rock hard new China Indy pivot cups that come stock are the only ones that hold up for me, only downside is they are insanely squeaky and my usual solution of wax or beeswax chapstick doesn't last long until it comes back. Whereas other pivot cups it keeps the squeak away for quite awhile.

Regarding stage 4's I agree with some others that they actually turn even better than Ace's but I had to use Ace medium bushings to get them that way. I found the stock red bushings to totally suck and not respond hardly at all. I had the 146's and they felt like I was riding 159 standards, really heavy trucks and I usually never really care that much about weight but I really felt a difference being on Ace 44's forever now. I sold them on here and don't really have any madness creeping in telling me to get them again.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2023, 11:19:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Well worth a look:

Hope that helps.

Silly, but posts like this are why I love this community. It would’ve been easy (and in my case, tempting) to point out the robust search function and give a dude some guff. Instead you responded with class and patience. You’re gonna be my first gnar (assuming the board is still here in 2030 when I can finally gnar)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2023, 05:06:46 PM »

Thought this could go here as well.

Does anyone know where I can find size 149 (8.5) stage 4 indys? I think Im a little late to the stage 4 release as i can't really find them that easy.

The Stage 4 reissues only came out in certain sizes, so not 149 exactly, but the 146 (8.375) or 151 (8.625) are the closest width to 149s.

If you like your trucks to sit under a bit, go the 146 size, or if you like the extra width go the 151s.

I usually put three washers on the inside of all my 149s so the wider ones would be good for me, more transition based, whereas others who prefer a no extra washer setup could ride the 146 size and be happy.

Hope that helps.

Anyone chasing certain sizes could fit into one or other category, but I saw this little chart while looking just then, so I think it would be easiest to post here as well.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2023, 03:15:52 AM »
Official replacement bushings aren't out yet, right ?

manysnakes

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2023, 08:49:08 AM »
Official replacement bushings aren't out yet, right ?

They're pitching them on their Instagram right now, but I don't know if they are yet shipping to stores.