Author Topic: Independent Stage IV  (Read 6891 times)

sk4terX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -33
Re: Independent Stage IV
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2023, 11:29:23 AM »
Just got some of the Blue 92s from the NHS website, they're listed as "original" cushions

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 884
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2023, 12:00:58 PM »
Can't see myself wanting harder bushings in these. The stock reds are hard enough as is once broken in. If anything they need an 88a option.

sk4terX

• Rep: -33
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2023, 03:24:02 PM »
Can't see myself wanting harder bushings in these. The stock reds are hard enough as is once broken in. If anything they need an 88a option.

I do love the stock Reds so much, they're basically perfect as is, but I can't help wondering if the Blues would hold up better against the New England crust and eventual cold weather I have to deal with

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2023, 06:09:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Official replacement bushings aren't out yet, right ?
[close]

They're pitching them on their Instagram right now, but I don't know if they are yet shipping to stores.

Thanks for the info.

Had to go check them out:

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2023, 06:25:55 PM »

Thought this should go here as well, given people in the comments of that post didn't know the Stage 4 bushings were different heights to the current Stage 11 and similar trucks.

It definitely feels better with a taller bottom bushing in there, but you can get away with a lower top to loosen them up more or get the kingpin nut down lower if clearance is an issue.

From the Indy thread:

Please accept my apologies in advance if this is redundant info, but I'm sharing here for posterity's sake in case such imagery hasn't already been propagated in this here thread.
I pulled the the bushings from a new (as in: not yet compressed) Stage IVs and tossed 'em into the ol' digi-cal.
Here's what we got...

Make with this info what you will, and again, my sorries if this is old news, rewarmed.

JimmyFive

• Rep: 64
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2023, 07:40:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're pitching them on their Instagram right now, but I don't know if they are yet shipping to stores.

Oh excellent, thanks! Will cop

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 674
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2023, 01:46:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

thanks

kinda strange they call 90A soft / 92A medium / 94A hard
while for stage 11 they call 90A medium / 92A medium hard / 94A hard

some consistency never hurts

thanks @Mbrimson88 as always

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2023, 07:47:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

thanks

kinda strange they call 90A soft / 92A medium / 94A hard
while for stage 11 they call 90A medium / 92A medium hard / 94A hard

some consistency never hurts

thanks @Mbrimson88 as always

This was from a while ago, but oddly enough we were the last ones talking in this thread too!

michal.jan.999

• Rep: 2
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2023, 05:16:01 PM »
I tried all the Aces — Classic 44, af1 hollow 55 and 66, af1 low 44. I tried with standard, hard (low) and bones medium and hard bushings lol. They are generally good but unstable (harder bushings help). Cool to ride, but difficult too and scary at higher speeds

Stock independent stage 4 are better for me in every way, except for the weight. Those things are big and heavy.

They rebound harder, similar to Thunders. They prevent me from getting wheelbite, like they rebound really hard at the extremes.

I think if Independent would make a forged hollow stage IV, it would be the best truck for me.

I don’t like Stage 11 (although they are better with Bones bushings and I need to check them out with Ace washers).

I like Thunders but not in necessarily in bowls 🤷🏻

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 375
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2023, 06:21:37 PM »

Thought this should go here as well, given people in the comments of that post didn't know the Stage 4 bushings were different heights to the current Stage 11 and similar trucks.

It definitely feels better with a taller bottom bushing in there, but you can get away with a lower top to loosen them up more or get the kingpin nut down lower if clearance is an issue.

From the Indy thread:

Expand Quote
Please accept my apologies in advance if this is redundant info, but I'm sharing here for posterity's sake in case such imagery hasn't already been propagated in this here thread.
I pulled the the bushings from a new (as in: not yet compressed) Stage IVs and tossed 'em into the ol' digi-cal.
Here's what we got...

Make with this info what you will, and again, my sorries if this is old news, rewarmed.
[close]

Thanks for the info, I had no idea. I was actually about to put in the soft white bushings soon—I don’t have calipers, anyone know the height difference?
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2023, 03:35:21 AM »
Expand Quote

From the Indy thread:

Expand Quote
Here's what we got...

[close]
[close]

Thanks for the info, I had no idea. I was actually about to put in the soft white bushings soon—I don’t have calipers, anyone know the height difference?

This was from a while back, with the Stage 4 bushings added before anyone had the correct measurements:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=112631.msg3874036;topicseen#msg3874036

Indy stock 90a and aftermarket (same in both cylinder and conical) 78a, 88a, 90a, 92a, 94a, 96a
Total  23.5 mm
Top  10.5 mm
Bottom  13 mm

Then Indy low head bushings 92a
Total  21 mm
Top  8 mm
Bottom  13 mm

Indy Stage 4
Total 27 mm
Top 12.5 mm
Bottom 14.5 mm

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2023, 03:37:55 AM »

Not to go on about it, but I just posted this too in the "Questions" thread which might also help:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=112631.msg4094544#msg4094544

What would you use in Indys 215 ?
It's supposed to be a Stage IV but before the recent Stage IV reissue there was no stage IV specific bushings (which are a bit different than stage XI bushings). As a result we had to go for what was available i.e. stage XI bushings.

Does somebody knows 215 bushings dimensions ?

Expand Quote
Do Ace bushings fit in the Indy Stage 4's/215's?
[close]
Maybe somebody has a better answer but they are both taller than stage 11 height so my guess is probably. Indy also released their full line of aftermarkets in that height now too so you got that going for you.

That was one answer in the "Questions" thread.

The set of 215s I have that didn't come with stock bushings worked really well with the older (and way taller) aftermarket Indy bushings, which barely fit in normal Indy trucks at the time, but that also depends on someone having some left over bushings from way back then, so that doesn't really help now.

There are the black aftermarkets that are slightly taller in the bottom cylinder shape, which do fit, which also feel ok with the nut flush, so they are not so tight but still have a firmer base, if that makes sense.

At least Indy have released their own Stage 4 bushings in the three options, but if they are not in your country yet (as per most of the world I think) then as Jake said above, Ace bushings being taller should work fairly well too.

Somewhere in the Indy thread, or even in the Indy Stage 4 thread, people had posted the bushings and measurements, which I can't find right this minute, but from someone sending it directly to me, this is about what they were:

Top 12.5 mm tall
Bottom 14.5 to 15 mm tall

That said, two people I know who ride 215s are in the ultra loose truck category, so they both have a cut job from any other bushings, so I guess you could still run any normal set of bushings in them and they will still work ok, going by what they do with their trucks.

I tried a few options, including some of the dreaded aftermarket red 88s mainly because I can't find a happy home for them, so although they worked ok, they weren't what I would be putting in those trucks any time soon.

Indy thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=123563.1650

Indy Stage 4 thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=126174.0

JimmyFive

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2023, 10:49:28 PM »
I'm excited that Riptide is making Stage 4 pivot cups. Brad said possibly even bushings too. I'm guessing the bushings will fit Ace as well?

The Stage 4 with Riptide pivots and bushings would be dreamy. I wonder how many of you have tried their bushings.

michal.jan.999

• Rep: 2
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2023, 02:18:17 AM »
I'm guessing the bushings will fit Ace as well?

Sceptical about that. I tried fitting in Bones bushings into Stage IV. They work fine with Ace but don’t work with Stage IV they feel too small. So
I guess Stage IV bushings will be too big for Aces?

logjammin

• Rep: 356
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2023, 04:01:39 PM »
I hated those stock red bushings when I tried the 4's in the 146 size. Bought a pack of Ace mediums and the trucks came to life with an insane turn, like even better than Ace's no fuckin joke. I think the bottom bushing was slightly shorter than the stocks but it didn't make the hanger sit weird or anything, and I'm super OCD on that type of thing. Highly recommend the combo, only reason I didn't stick with em is how heavy they were and also the kingpin clearance is next to nothing.

JimmyFive

« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2023, 04:51:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sceptical about that. I tried fitting in Bones bushings into Stage IV. They work fine with Ace but don’t work with Stage IV they feel too small. So

For some reason I thought the bushings were round about the same size. Perhaps the Stage 4 bottom bushings are a bit taller, will check. I had heard of people swapping them out and I did the same for a short time initially. It felt a bit off to me and I grew to like the standard red bushings.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2023, 11:54:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

For some reason I thought the bushings were round about the same size. Perhaps the Stage 4 bottom bushings are a bit taller, will check. I had heard of people swapping them out and I did the same for a short time initially. It felt a bit off to me and I grew to like the standard red bushings.

It works fine. Stage 4 bushings and Ace bushings are functionally similar in height. Ace bushings work well in Stage 4s, too.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 820
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2023, 02:49:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I do love the stock Reds so much, they're basically perfect as is, but I can't help wondering if the Blues would hold up better against the New England crust and eventual cold weather I have to deal with

If it's the same as the regular blue 92s they harden up a little when it's really cold but as long as it's above 35 or so I've never had an issue. Only bushings I've had actually freeze on me are thunder (in extreme conditions) and Film (in a stiff breeze) but it's slightly terrifying when it happens. Feels like you're on a sled with wheels. As far as durability goes they're fine too, about the same as every other Indy bushing I've run save for the old injection molded ones which would occasionally crumble. If they're machined (concentric circles on the bottom) I wouldn't worry about running them in winter.

Banned from the room

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2023, 12:40:44 PM »

My first real skatebloarding truck.

Belonged to my cousin Bones. After he died my auntie Judy got them by way of the Clean crew and gave me them in 1986.

Has anyone who's riddin the original compared them to the new?

If you can remember plz lmk. Cuz I remember. This is the truck that birthed my addiction to loose trucks

Also hey kids look at these old risers. Now that's comfort

The.Skate.Father

• Rep: 42
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2023, 10:26:06 PM »
Just got a pair a few days ago 166s
Already set them up sorry.
Really liking them after a day or two.

Just call me Daddy.

JimmyFive

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2023, 04:44:01 AM »

My first real skatebloarding truck.

Belonged to my cousin Bones. After he died my auntie Judy got them by way of the Clean crew and gave me them in 1986.

Has anyone who's riddin the original compared them to the new?

If you can remember plz lmk. Cuz I remember. This is the truck that birthed my addiction to loose trucks

Also hey kids look at these old risers. Now that's comfort

Amazing. Were they painted at some point or are they just really manky?

Also looks like there is a less kingkin clearance on the original you have. It could be a perspective issue - looks like someone has put smaller later stage bushings in there..

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2023, 06:43:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Also looks like there is a less kingkin clearance on the original you have. It could be a perspective issue - looks like someone has put smaller later stage bushings in there..

I feel like all the older Indy variants were not really designed with kingpin clearance in mind, so there was none, pretty much zero from day one.  Then as the bushings compressed with wear people would tighten the kingpin nut down more and more, as it was often not even thought of to go buy replacement bushings.  For some, the kingpins would stick up a lot more like that, so everyone had to grind down the kingpins or swap them out for shorter ones, just to keep them going, or just leave them as is and deal with the kingpin hitting if the trucks did touch concrete.  Also recall seeing lots of people cutting down bushings just to make them fit as the trucks were grinded down, which then changed the geometry of the trucks, but at least they still worked.

Pretty amazing how far things have come now, but the main priority back then was a truck that turned and didn't break too easily - that was to say Tracker didn't turn and Bennett trucks broke way back in the early days of Indy late 70s, if I recall that correctly.  Fairly simple in theory, but as people were not replacing things anywhere near as often as everyone does and has done for twenty plus years, you had to have something that would hold up a little better, so by Stage 4 early to mid 80s, things were looking pretty good.

JimmyFive

« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2023, 01:48:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I feel like all the older Indy variants were not really designed with kingpin clearance in mind, so there was none, pretty much zero from day one.  Then as the bushings compressed with wear people would tighten the kingpin nut down more and more, as it was often not even thought of to go buy replacement bushings.  For some, the kingpins would stick up a lot more like that, so everyone had to grind down the kingpins or swap them out for shorter ones, just to keep them going, or just leave them as is and deal with the kingpin hitting if the trucks did touch concrete.  Also recall seeing lots of people cutting down bushings just to make them fit as the trucks were grinded down, which then changed the geometry of the trucks, but at least they still worked.

Pretty amazing how far things have come now, but the main priority back then was a truck that turned and didn't break too easily - that was to say Tracker didn't turn and Bennett trucks broke way back in the early days of Indy late 70s, if I recall that correctly.  Fairly simple in theory, but as people were not replacing things anywhere near as often as everyone does and has done for twenty plus years, you had to have something that would hold up a little better, so by Stage 4 early to mid 80s, things were looking pretty good.

Thanks for your knowledge! I'm really interested in the evolution of skateboarding and skateboard gear!
I'm also very sold on these trucks. I got back into skating after a long hiatus. It's been a blast. I may be admitting kookdom here but... In recent years I became a keen surfer and a couple years ago I started surf-skating to improve my form and keep in shape over winter. Started riding bowls on Carver trucks and then moved to Ace trucks for stability and versatility around the coping. When I tried these Stage 4 Indy's I found they were more stable than Ace but with an even deeper, more satisfying surfy turn.
I have been using Riptide pivots and bushings in most of my loose and surfy bowl setups, they've made a huge improvement. Brad is in the process of making bushings and pivots to match these Stage 4's. I'm sure they will be available soon..