Author Topic: Alexis Sablone AS-1  (Read 13478 times)

IpathCats

Re: Alexis Sablone AS-1
« Reply #120 on: June 12, 2023, 05:53:18 AM »
So in my regularly scheduled drunken stupor I decided to play around with the fit of my AS-1’s, or rather, analyze them nerdily as a typical Slap poster tends to do.

What I’ve noticed is a validity to numerous claims here, as much as I want to point fingers and call everyone useless stupid cunts.

Firstly, the  AS-1 does cup the foot, or have a concave esque shape of the insole that curves up the side of the feet. I, with my weird feet find it off putting, as to me the CTS is “the shoe” that just so happens to fit me. The AS-1 and skate Chuck’s are literally polar opposites on the fit spectrum.

The AS-1 is also narrow, but I suspect it could bag out or conform to the foot after a few sessions. My big toe does hit the end of the toe box, and for certain tricks that means fuck ups are going to be met with certain suffering.

Lastly, the forward pitch or wedge of the AS-1 starting at the heel, sloping downward towards the toe is similar in shape to the Adidas Busenitz. If you’re a heavy flip tricker you’ll naturally spend a lot of time on your toes, but for some this may feel or prove detrimental.

All of this said, I’m yet to skate my AS-1’s. These are just initial observations on fit. I could have easily half sized up, and found myself much more comfortable. It’s hard to definitively lead in either direction as what works for me, may not work for others. I’m just here to relay my experiences.

And yet most people on here say to go a half size down.

I went tts and am happy with my choice

Mongo Lloyd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #121 on: June 12, 2023, 06:47:45 AM »
Expand Quote
So in my regularly scheduled drunken stupor I decided to play around with the fit of my AS-1’s, or rather, analyze them nerdily as a typical Slap poster tends to do.

What I’ve noticed is a validity to numerous claims here, as much as I want to point fingers and call everyone useless stupid cunts.

Firstly, the  AS-1 does cup the foot, or have a concave esque shape of the insole that curves up the side of the feet. I, with my weird feet find it off putting, as to me the CTS is “the shoe” that just so happens to fit me. The AS-1 and skate Chuck’s are literally polar opposites on the fit spectrum.

The AS-1 is also narrow, but I suspect it could bag out or conform to the foot after a few sessions. My big toe does hit the end of the toe box, and for certain tricks that means fuck ups are going to be met with certain suffering.

Lastly, the forward pitch or wedge of the AS-1 starting at the heel, sloping downward towards the toe is similar in shape to the Adidas Busenitz. If you’re a heavy flip tricker you’ll naturally spend a lot of time on your toes, but for some this may feel or prove detrimental.

All of this said, I’m yet to skate my AS-1’s. These are just initial observations on fit. I could have easily half sized up, and found myself much more comfortable. It’s hard to definitively lead in either direction as what works for me, may not work for others. I’m just here to relay my experiences.
[close]

And yet most people on here say to go a half size down.

I went tts and am happy with my choice

Half sizing down would have been a nightmare for me.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Daydream

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2023, 07:22:07 AM »
If comparing to your CTS sizing yeah, but from what I’ve heard this shoe sounds TTS.

(Let’s not complicate things. Get foot measured. Toes shouldn’t touch the end of your shoe)

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2023, 07:28:09 AM »
They are tts.

Just a tad narrow in my case. I’m wearing them to work today to see if I can break them in.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2023, 07:50:39 AM »
Are these wider or narrower than Fastbreaks? When I tried those on you could see my 1st and 5th metatarsal joints poking a bit and the shape of the toebox pressed my toes together inward a lot almost like if I had a Slip On that was too small.

People say the 1010 aren't wide, but neither of those things happened with them. I ended up not skating my Fastbreaks and sold them while they were new since they were limited so I never got to see how they broke in.

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2023, 08:28:10 AM »
Are these wider or narrower than Fastbreaks? When I tried those on you could see my 1st and 5th metatarsal joints poking a bit and the shape of the toebox pressed my toes together inward a lot almost like if I had a Slip On that was too small.

People say the 1010 aren't wide, but neither of those things happened with them. I ended up not skating my Fastbreaks and sold them while they were new since they were limited so I never got to see how they broke in.

For me, it seems that out of the box these are narrower than the fastbreaks. I can check when I get home.

The fastbreaks to me felt extremely comfortable for my feet.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

IpathCats

« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2023, 10:08:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

For me, it seems that out of the box these are narrower than the fastbreaks. I can check when I get home.

The fastbreaks to me felt extremely comfortable for my feet.

I want to say they are more narrow than fastbreaks as well, its been a couple years since ive been in fastbreaks though.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2023, 10:25:39 AM »
Thanks. I have a Greek foot shape so I tend to do better with slightly more blunted toeboxes as well. My feet are wide, but lower volume so usually I just put up with the width since most things will stretch. I can't do most Cons and these days find Blazers feel constrictive.

At the same time I'm interested in trying a cup that people describe as a Jordan with better grip.

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2023, 07:38:20 PM »
Ok, so having had 1 work day (on my feet all day), 1 full day attending a show wearing them (a second full day wearing them), and a 3rd day wearing and skating the AS-1’s, this is my take.

The shoe is tts, but it bags out extremely fast for a wider foot individual. This is never a problem to me, as I feel like that is just a shoe conforming to me foot shape.

What I do have a problem with is the previously mentioned concave feel of the insole. This, and the fact that the insole is terribly uncomfortable is a hellacious combo. After days of wearing the shoes the inner edge of the arch of both feet feel numb/nerve damaged. I have some degree of issue with this from ice skates, but generally never from sneakers (only ever had this issue with NB 808’s in the wrong size). So I’ll likely have to replace the stock insole, and reshape the sole of my shoe using a heat gun.. just as I had to do with the wrong sized 808’s.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1280
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2023, 06:41:03 PM »
skated the black and white joints for around 5ish hours today- hardly any signs of wear

love em

feet feel secure, and protected. i can feel my board really well.

definitely use the shoelace thing on the tongue, my tongues kept mashing down

Daydream

« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2023, 08:55:38 PM »
skated the black and white joints for around 5ish hours today- hardly any signs of wear

love em

feet feel secure, and protected. i can feel my board really well.

definitely use the shoelace thing on the tongue, my tongues kept mashing down
hell yea. Need that pair

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2023, 11:47:28 PM »
Checked them out in person they are narrower than the fastbreaks; they have a dainty toe box...leather feels thin/cheap.

That sole tho, slap them on the fastbreaks…
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 02:54:11 PM by Xen »

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #132 on: June 19, 2023, 05:31:54 AM »
Bought an 8 same as my fastbreaks. Not as roomy but still a great fit. Great shoe.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #133 on: June 24, 2023, 03:30:39 PM »
Put some FP gamechangers in mine, and the initial problems seem remedied.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 31
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #134 on: July 17, 2023, 03:26:43 AM »
I really don't like that CSX (is that tvs name) insole, I tried those eS energy ones and already I feel a difference. I'll skate them today after work, super stoked about it.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

caked

• Rep: -32
« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2023, 09:28:22 AM »
Have skated the AS-1s twice now, and I'm a fan. I wasn't sure at first.

first pair of shoes in literal years to not make my feet hurt while I'm skating (and I have wider feet.) I'm shocked these shoes haven't been constricting me. went TTS and I think I'll wear thinner socks with these shoes, there was some slight pinky toe rubbing at the end of my sessions.

this is my first pair of Converse in probably a decade, they squeak while walking like the all stars which is pretty funny to me. brings some nostalgia back from wearing chuck taylors thoroughly in middle school.

I dig the price and the fit. worth noting I have the black suede pair. I think I'll be eager to get another pair once these are done.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2023, 03:25:42 AM »

I really liked the shoe and I love to support Alexis but the craftsmanship on these is pretty subpar.
Whoever sew this was clearly drunk.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2023, 03:46:39 AM »
Did the toe on the suede ones look a little potatoey to anyone.  Felt like there was too much fabric and it was slightly poofy in a way the rest of the shoe wasn’t

Cranberry Relish

• Rep: 29
« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2023, 02:15:01 PM »
I am now skating the Black Suede ones.  The suede looks like a potato skin, and feels like some shitty construction paper  Skated them for the first time yesterday for about an hour and saw significant wear in the stitching and the suede itself.  I like how they look and the sole on these feel and skate good, but probably will not buy another pair. 

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2023, 12:00:17 AM »
I'm skating the white/green leather ones and yes, they feel cheap.
I like them a lot and hopefully they will last at least 1 month.
They could be the perfect show for me if:
- Triple stitching
- Little more padded tongue
- Possibility of hidden laces on the first 2. Give the shoe shape/style is totally doable.
- Little thicker insole
- Maybe those center tongue straps (that's how they're called? You get the idea probably)
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 480
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2023, 02:19:59 AM »
 Re: stitching on the White/Green above, I don't know if I'm just not seeing the issue you're observing with the quality, but the stitching looks normal to me. The only issue I have is how sharp the contrast is. The contrast might be making it look worse in quality to you, idk?

Most modern cupsoles that have a shape/panels like the AS-1 should have tongue centering straps. In fact, most shoes that arent slim uppers need the internal straps.

I wonder if they didn't do lace protectors to avoid the dunk/Jordan comparison. Etnies and Es do great hidden lace loops on the Marana/Joslin/Swift, so Cons should figure that shit out if they don't wanna do a V2 using an extra panel on the bottom laces.
Super Champion Fun Zone

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2023, 02:36:40 AM »
Re: stitching on the White/Green above, I don't know if I'm just not seeing the issue you're observing with the quality, but the stitching looks normal to me. The only issue I have is how sharp the contrast is. The contrast might be making it look worse in quality to you, idk?

Most modern cupsoles that have a shape/panels like the AS-1 should have tongue centering straps. In fact, most shoes that arent slim uppers need the internal straps.

I wonder if they didn't do lace protectors to avoid the dunk/Jordan comparison. Etnies and Es do great hidden lace loops on the Marana/Joslin/Swift, so Cons should figure that shit out if they don't wanna do a V2 using an extra panel on the bottom laces.
Regarding the stitching it just look like "clumsy"
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Daydream

« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2023, 11:15:18 AM »
New colorway?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: July 21, 2023, 11:17:01 AM »
New colorway?

Flatspot posted the two new colorways

White and blue
Midnight Blue and white

Daydream

« Reply #144 on: July 21, 2023, 12:22:09 PM »
Expand Quote
New colorway?

[close]

White and blue
Midnight Blue and white
I did not know that. So this is another new white/grey colorway coming soon.

the two you mentioned:

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #145 on: July 21, 2023, 12:25:17 PM »
The area of stitching beyond the bumpers that were previously highlighted were the first spot to tear on my shoes.

Also, going from NB to Converse has really highlighted the previous mentioned material quality issues. The suede NB uses is unrivaled.

I love Converse, it’s my #1 aesthetically speaking (just so classic), but these don’t live up to the standard of what they could potentially be.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

MonsPubis

• Rep: 20
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #146 on: July 21, 2023, 01:33:08 PM »
I'm wearing the white/green right now. I feel like I got ripped off.

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 507
« Reply #147 on: July 21, 2023, 02:13:19 PM »

i believe the term is "Con'd"

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #148 on: July 21, 2023, 02:25:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
New colorway?

[close]

White and blue
Midnight Blue and white
[close]
I did not know that. So this is another new white/grey colorway coming soon.

the two you mentioned:

They photograph well at least

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #149 on: July 21, 2023, 03:48:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i believe the term is "Con'd"

Precision dad joke!
Do you get deja vu, huh?