Author Topic: What's up with Flip?  (Read 9966 times)

fineslime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
Re: What's up with Flip?
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2023, 08:07:42 PM »
Like any millennial that was of age when Sorry came out, Flip used to be one of my favorite teams in all of skateboarding. After the Boulala situation, then Extremely Sorry, then most of the heavy hitters leaving, I stopped caring about Flip as much, as they just kind of fell by the wayside.

I was just feeling curious today and looked at their website and saw that they're selling old designs and logos... Sorry shirts, Tom Penny Cheech n Chong boards, and they even have old pro models from Boulala, Saari, Appleyard, Bastien, Rune and Penny. Got me to thinking about the legality of it all.

Do you imagine that these old riders are getting money from Flip for them still using their names? Obviously most of these dudes aren't on Flip anymore, right? ... Or are they?

What's goin on here? Anyone know?

This is what I think of when I see your username and I read all your posts in the Ken Kaniff voice.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2023, 09:04:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Like any millennial that was of age when Sorry came out, Flip used to be one of my favorite teams in all of skateboarding. After the Boulala situation, then Extremely Sorry, then most of the heavy hitters leaving, I stopped caring about Flip as much, as they just kind of fell by the wayside.

I was just feeling curious today and looked at their website and saw that they're selling old designs and logos... Sorry shirts, Tom Penny Cheech n Chong boards, and they even have old pro models from Boulala, Saari, Appleyard, Bastien, Rune and Penny. Got me to thinking about the legality of it all.

Do you imagine that these old riders are getting money from Flip for them still using their names? Obviously most of these dudes aren't on Flip anymore, right? ... Or are they?

What's goin on here? Anyone know?
[close]

This is what I think of when I see your username and I read all your posts in the Ken Kaniff voice.

hey there cockboy

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2023, 04:27:45 AM »
I still see flip boards from time to time in Copenhagen. I have always wandered if it's because of Rune, but they seem to be more relevant in Copenhagen than what logic dictates.

zahed

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -25
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2023, 05:00:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone know how Rowley fell out with Flip? Like what's the beef? Generally curious...
[close]
Quote from Rowley: "I am proud to have been riding for Flip for over twenty years, enjoying many years of success and good times. But, as a rider the time has come for me to part ways with the brand.

I have nothing but love for the team, past and present, and wish all continued success for Flip. Exciting new opportunities will allow me to be utilized to my fullest potential, and I’ll be divulging more in the coming months on the positive change for the future.”

My guess is that he was getting bored and wanted to start something new where he had creative control. Thus starting Freedome shortly after leaving
https://freedometoskate.com/

Flip has been a shell of a company for years now. Last good thing that came out of flip was Flip 3 and that was 8 years ago

flip 3 was fantastic. is majerus still there?

losing karen & louie bunted their future. karen skating to future islands in that vid is perfect, always was mesmerized by the crazy bowl transfer.

IpathCats

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2023, 05:16:23 AM »
It appears as though flip....

Has finally flopped.

Gnars for the other homies that beat me to the joke.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 128
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2023, 09:33:34 AM »
I read a while back that Flip owed Rowley lots of money and just kinda didn’t pay him so he peaced out but don’t quote me on that.

“Skateboarding is like getting Free Dome, it’s that good.” - Geoff Rowley

sans umbilical

• Rep: 24
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2023, 09:48:22 AM »
Does anyone know why Lance Mountain continues to ride for Flip?
Keep Shredding

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2023, 11:54:50 AM »
I read a while back that Flip owed Rowley lots of money and just kinda didn’t pay him so he peaced out but don’t quote me on that.

From what I heard they owed him more than $40k. Could be wrong but thats the rumor I heard.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 173
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2023, 12:27:34 PM »
Damn that flip 3 video has 1 million views
check my music

Ghost Face

• Rep: 112
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2023, 03:39:36 AM »
I think that Flip's whole success and reach was due to NHS. Say what you want about bigger distros/corporate entities but when Flip left NHS they became irrelevant. It took a couple year but yeah, no trips, no videos, riders left, graphics went full on Jart etc etc.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

Scott Case

• Rep: -12
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2023, 04:22:49 AM »
Lance Jr was skimming through this topic and reminded his dad that he was still on Flip.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2254
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2023, 07:42:22 AM »
I think that Flip's whole success and reach was due to NHS. Say what you want about bigger distros/corporate entities but when Flip left NHS they became irrelevant. It took a couple year but yeah, no trips, no videos, riders left, graphics went full on Jart etc etc.
Access to that distro/sales network surely kept the money flowing, but they were already on the wane by the time the had landed at NHS, weren’t they?
Their truly boom years seem to have been when they were through Blitz along w/ Baker, Birdhouse, The Firm, Hooker Ups, etc. they even had Fury trucks going as an in house metallics brand, iirc.
Welinder pulled the plug on Blitz & all the remaining brands were cast adrift for a minute w/ Flip washing up on the shores of NHS.
Am I remembering that right?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 09:06:36 AM by Lou Strux »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Terminal

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2023, 05:52:13 AM »
Man that's harsh, lol

Terminal

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2023, 06:39:23 AM »
I could see Penny on Primitive.

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 22
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2023, 06:55:22 AM »
Nah, Lev would have him on Palace in a heartbeat if he ever became available.

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2023, 07:13:19 AM »

From what I heard from a guy that's been flow for flip the last 10 years, is that Penny's/Cheech & Chong boards were always a bestseller through the years, so I guess it's a win/win situation for both parts.

Terminal

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2023, 07:14:31 AM »
PRod vs. Lev Thunderdome!

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2023, 07:21:47 AM »

Isn’t there a Palace ad that lists multiple pros who tried to get on but they denied?

Dill, Pontus, Penny, maybe Tiago and one other?
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2277
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2023, 01:56:24 PM »
Flopped? More like they primo'd

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

doublesteveburger

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2023, 02:37:36 PM »
Flopped? More like they double-primo'd

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2023, 04:50:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
From what I heard they owed him more than $40k. Could be wrong but thats the rumor I heard.

Didn't Rowley sue? I remember this being brought up before. Not sure what happened with that but they're definitely not on good terms now. At least that's what it looks like.

Mother Goose.

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2023, 08:35:38 PM »
Everybody wants a Denny Pham board

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2023, 08:40:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

From what I heard from a guy that's been flow for flip the last 10 years, is that Penny's/Cheech & Chong boards were always a bestseller through the years, so I guess it's a win/win situation for both parts.

And from what I've heard from people who were very close to Penny around the Sorry years, he himself absolutely hates (or hated) the whole drugs/shroom marketing around his skating and name, funny how it all works. At least it fed him.

Wienerboy

• Rep: -103
  • Hey you're really cool and definitely not a kook
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2023, 06:38:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

And from what I've heard from people who were very close to Penny around the Sorry years, he himself absolutely hates (or hated) the whole drugs/shroom marketing around his skating and name, funny how it all works. At least it fed him.

I'm surprised to hear that with all the drugged out stories about Tom Penny. Always seems like he's trippin on something, somewhere. I remember a Boulala story where he was living with Penny in France in that countryside castle thing with a mini ramp inside it. He recounted how Penny's friend who was living there too was tripping on something and started throwing all their shit out of a window and was smashing everything. So if that's the company Penny was keeping back then, I can't imagine the drug marketing from Flip was inaccurate.
If my rep is ever an even number, please kindly throw me either a kook or a gnar in order to return me to my odd number equilibrium.

HisNameIsntWarren

• Rep: 49
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2023, 09:47:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm surprised to hear that with all the drugged out stories about Tom Penny. Always seems like he's trippin on something, somewhere. I remember a Boulala story where he was living with Penny in France in that countryside castle thing with a mini ramp inside it. He recounted how Penny's friend who was living there too was tripping on something and started throwing all their shit out of a window and was smashing everything. So if that's the company Penny was keeping back then, I can't imagine the drug marketing from Flip was inaccurate.
Seems like when it comes to Flip, they market how they want with Tom but he himself is more conservative about how he comes off in articles/interviews. There’s an interview with him where he asks the interviewer to take out any mention of drugs/alcohol because he didn’t want it out there in print so he’s definitely conscious of how he’s portrayed. He said he went sober during the birth of his kid and kicked everything which seemed pretty surprising. Wanna say this is around the Really Sorry era.

Welcome to the OC bitch! This is how it’s done in Orange County.

Wienerboy

• Rep: -103
  • Hey you're really cool and definitely not a kook
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2023, 09:55:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Seems like when it comes to Flip, they market how they want with Tom but he himself is more conservative about how he comes off in articles/interviews. There’s an interview with him where he asks the interviewer to take out any mention of drugs/alcohol because he didn’t want it out there in print so he’s definitely conscious of how he’s portrayed. He said he went sober during the birth of his kid and kicked everything which seemed pretty surprising. Wanna say this is around the Really Sorry era.

Damn, I had no idea. Stuff I was referring to were things like personal stories from Slapsters seeing him around Barcelona by himself at night tripping his balls off, shit like that.

I also had no idea he is a dad. Pretty cool. Makes sense he's sober now I guess, he was hanging out with Greco at least for a bit, filming for "Jobs? Never"
If my rep is ever an even number, please kindly throw me either a kook or a gnar in order to return me to my odd number equilibrium.

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 170
  • (formerly mex.ceferino)
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2023, 10:43:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Isn’t there a Palace ad that lists multiple pros who tried to get on but they denied?

Dill, Pontus, Penny, maybe Tiago and one other?
dill, Pontus, miles silvas wanted in but palace said nein
they fuck with and wanted Tony Ferguson though

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1572
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2023, 11:14:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Sorry to have to say it for your own good but in that reply of yours, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about, don't know anyone involved and are just recomposing fantasy stories on the basis of names and hearsay you probably got from the Internet that only reassure people because they consolidate a longtime industrial narrative, in the words of the great Wesley Willis: you can do better than that to yourself!

I'm teasing you a bit but more sincerely now, HisNameIsntWarren is right on the money. Because someone has private, personal subtance use/abuse history doesn't, and by all means shouldn't, mean that they're de facto okay with that one arbitrary trait of theirs turning into the whole of their public portrayal. In fact that's one pretty insane and scary leap in logic to take there (but one towards which it makes sense the masses would be encouraged; commercial gimmicks are literally designed to lure people and so I would be a fool to put it just on you, when most are bound to fall for it).

Is it okay by now or too conceptual for this world yet to talk about skateboarding as the individual expression it fundamentally is again, that means skaters first and foremost are creatives who once they reach pro status essentially become their field's equivalent of a published author who may or may not aspire to communicate something more pure and personal with their art than easy, tired, superfluous and arguably toxic commercial shticks?

Tom's case is very particular in that, again and regardless of how artificial, the shrooms/drugs association probably secured his subsistance in the long run by appealing to the average teenage stoner throughout the years and so commercially was the right thing to do, but it did that number on his image for both the best and the worst depending on which angle one is looking at it. In a perfect, idealistic world where raw talent would be recognized and compensated by more than usually artificially inflated numbers, his skateboarding would suffice for doing all the talking; except the modern man is braindead when it comes to appreciating art for what it is and seemingly needs all those artificial hooks in order to start relating even to stuff that intrinsically is really cool. It's a complex topic at large in which this particular case we're discussing is one observable example out of a possible infinity, but if you're into reading stories featuring pro skater names online I'd recommend you do some research on the initial reception of Tom and his skating in the U.S. before everyone realized they could milk his name and thus came the whole way around; some very colorful stories of prominent people bullying him at contests, spitting on him from the top of ramps and generally heckling him as the new threat from abroad they feared was just about to steal their jobs.

BootsWithTheFerg

• Rep: -45
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2023, 11:19:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The one things that flip still has going for them and always had was the deck of choice for pot smokers/juggalos(for lack of a better word) hangerons at the local park. In the late 2000s atleast Flip and DGK both were getting alot of sales from kids who wanted to be skaters but didn't want to learn to skate. Every fucking pot dealer I knew some way another acquired one merch or decks from these companies regardless their ability to skate.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -3
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2023, 11:23:35 AM »
They flopped.