Author Topic: What's up with Flip?  (Read 10106 times)

Wienerboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -105
  • Hey you're really cool and definitely not a kook
What's up with Flip?
« on: May 12, 2023, 08:19:59 AM »
Like any millennial that was of age when Sorry came out, Flip used to be one of my favorite teams in all of skateboarding. After the Boulala situation, then Extremely Sorry, then most of the heavy hitters leaving, I stopped caring about Flip as much, as they just kind of fell by the wayside.

I was just feeling curious today and looked at their website and saw that they're selling old designs and logos... Sorry shirts, Tom Penny Cheech n Chong boards, and they even have old pro models from Boulala, Saari, Appleyard, Bastien, Rune and Penny. Got me to thinking about the legality of it all.

Do you imagine that these old riders are getting money from Flip for them still using their names? Obviously most of these dudes aren't on Flip anymore, right? ... Or are they?

What's goin on here? Anyone know?
If my rep is ever an even number, please kindly throw me either a kook or a gnar in order to return me to my odd number equilibrium.

doublesteveburger

Re: What's up with Flip?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 08:25:56 AM »
think it's telling how rowley isn't in that line-up of reissues when he's the most obvious selling point

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 08:30:33 AM »
zi still wonder what was in Rowley's contract that stopped him from being on Flip

Was hyped that at Cordova got on, but yeah everything is just different now

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1133
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2023, 08:36:39 AM »
Not only do I think those former riders get paid of those reissue decks, I think they most likely had to authorize them, which is why we don't see the Rowley deck. It's just a one-of that I'm guessing they negotiated. But I'm just speculating with an educated guess.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -75
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 08:37:59 AM »
think it's telling how rowley isn't in that line-up of reissues when he's the most obvious selling point

Would it be because he has his own completely separate company now? Wouldn't that kinda be like Birdhouse releasing Reynolds decks?

...wait...does he still have a company? What was it...Freedome or something? Is that still a thing?
Man that's not a great name.

Baglady

• Rep: -202
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2023, 08:45:55 AM »
We flop

HisNameIsntWarren

• Rep: 49
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2023, 09:06:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Would it be because he has his own completely separate company now? Wouldn't that kinda be like Birdhouse releasing Reynolds decks?

...wait...does he still have a company? What was it...Freedome or something? Is that still a thing?

Rowley had a huge falling out with Flip that led to legal issues between the two. Speculation is over money and possibly ownership in the brand? Something like that. Don’t think they’re on good terms whatsoever.

Yes he is still on Freedome and he just released a part with them that should be out any day now. Still killing it in the streets, still GOAT status.

And to the OP, yes Flip sucks now and there’s no coming back for them. Makes me wonder what Penny’s contract looks like.

Welcome to the OC bitch! This is how it’s done in Orange County.

Bhaktih

• Rep: -18
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2023, 09:08:19 AM »
Flip flopped?

Wienerboy

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2023, 09:10:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Rowley had a huge falling out with Flip that led to legal issues between the two. Speculation is over money and possibly ownership in the brand? Something like that. Don’t think they’re on good terms whatsoever.

Yes he is still on Freedome and he just released a part with them that should be out any day now. Still killing it in the streets, still GOAT status.

And to the OP, yes Flip sucks now and there’s no coming back for them. Makes me wonder what Penny’s contract looks like.

I had no idea about Rowley's new company called.... Fredome? That's just such a bad name. Always have loved Rowley and bummed to hear about hte falling out with Flip. But he is kinda quite the patriot these days, hay? Very free of him
If my rep is ever an even number, please kindly throw me either a kook or a gnar in order to return me to my odd number equilibrium.

newMe

• Rep: 19
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2023, 09:15:06 AM »
Anyone know how Rowley fell out with Flip? Like what's the beef? Generally curious...

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 149
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2023, 09:25:54 AM »

doublesteveburger

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2023, 09:27:38 AM »
it's not the most popular brand by any stretch but you dudes are reaching not knowing about geoff's company

Wienerboy

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2023, 09:36:29 AM »
it's not the most popular brand by any stretch but you dudes are reaching not knowing about geoff's company

I truly have never heard of it. I have seen a few mentions on Slap of "Freedome" but I thought it was another classic Slap play-on-words comparable to "of" and "off". And I didn't think twice about it, especially when the company name sounds like they're offering blowjobs for free. It's a joke that writes itself.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 534
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2023, 09:38:39 AM »
Anyone know how Rowley fell out with Flip? Like what's the beef? Generally curious...
Quote from Rowley: "I am proud to have been riding for Flip for over twenty years, enjoying many years of success and good times. But, as a rider the time has come for me to part ways with the brand.

I have nothing but love for the team, past and present, and wish all continued success for Flip. Exciting new opportunities will allow me to be utilized to my fullest potential, and I’ll be divulging more in the coming months on the positive change for the future.”

My guess is that he was getting bored and wanted to start something new where he had creative control. Thus starting Freedome shortly after leaving
https://freedometoskate.com/

Flip has been a shell of a company for years now. Last good thing that came out of flip was Flip 3 and that was 8 years ago

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2023, 09:45:11 AM »
I dunno how they have survived this long

At least in my country I havent seen a fresh brand new Flip board since 2014-2015, Ive seen deadstock but I rather buy some popsicle sticks with sandpaper as griptape

Tom Pearl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2023, 09:52:30 AM »
I dunno how they have survived this long

At least in my country I havent seen a fresh brand new Flip board since 2014-2015, Ive seen deadstock but I rather buy some popsicle sticks with sandpaper as griptape

penny/cheech n chong

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2023, 12:15:48 PM »
I wonder how much Penny has made from the Cheech and Chong board.  Shit, I had one back in the day.

stringsnthings

• Rep: -49
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2023, 12:39:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Quote from Rowley: "I am proud to have been riding for Flip for over twenty years, enjoying many years of success and good times. But, as a rider the time has come for me to part ways with the brand.

I have nothing but love for the team, past and present, and wish all continued success for Flip. Exciting new opportunities will allow me to be utilized to my fullest potential, and I’ll be divulging more in the coming months on the positive change for the future.”

My guess is that he was getting bored and wanted to start something new where he had creative control. Thus starting Freedome shortly after leaving
https://freedometoskate.com/

Flip has been a shell of a company for years now. Last good thing that came out of flip was Flip 3 and that was 8 years ago

I'll never find the exact thread on here but iirc her put like 50% of his earnings back into Flip to keep it going at some point and it got messy legally/financially and Geoff may still have a lawsuit with Flip.

conan777

• Rep: -52
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2023, 12:57:31 PM »
Flip have the worst graphics of any brand (along with Plan B) and have seemed directionless for the last 15 years

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2295
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2023, 01:09:34 PM »
Summit ifffy goin on down there

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2023, 01:21:32 PM »
Flip have the worst graphics of any brand (along with Plan B) and have seemed directionless for the last 15 years

Also one of the worst names. I never liked Flip even though they had a whole bunch of cool riders and made good videos. It all just seemed so off, even worse than Element. All because of the name and crummy graphics I guess.

Aerozzmith

• Rep: 5
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2023, 01:32:37 PM »
When Tom Penny will ride a skateboard with your brand name on it, you can be/ do/ say just about anything you like as a company.

The man has the greatest style of all time in the streets, he can fucking fly off ramps, and skated vert well.

Any thread mentioning Flip could just be Penny appreciation in my opinion. They should’ve given Rowley whatever he wanted.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1314
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2023, 01:49:09 PM »
When Tom Penny will ride a skateboard with your brand name on it, you can be/ do/ say just about anything you like as a company.

The man has the greatest style of all time in the streets, he can fucking fly off ramps, and skated vert well.

Any thread mentioning Flip could just be Penny appreciation in my opinion. They should’ve given Rowley whatever he wanted.
This is the exact philosophy that made Flip what is today. A backwards facing, irrelevant company that hopes you have a good memory.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
  • Get bent
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2023, 02:21:36 PM »
Summit ifffy goin on down there

HA
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2023, 03:12:18 PM »
There last peak was during the tech board era - I was of the generation that fell hard for all of that p2 Ultra pop type shit around 2009 or so

waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

dannyprovolone

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2023, 03:15:40 PM »
my bros, all these brands are directionless

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2023, 04:23:05 PM »
There's a thread specifically about the Rowley/Flip separation. Which includes a copy of the lawsuit Rowley filed against Fox for the money owed to him.

It was pretty heavy. Geoff was keeping Flip afloat for years.

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2023, 04:26:51 PM »
Flip exists? Not in Texas other than Penny fans

Terminal

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2023, 06:05:29 PM »
my bros, all these brands are directionless
This

slimvanilla

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2023, 06:59:22 PM »
they fucked up when they switched up their logo. the medieval spiky flip logo is goated