Author Topic: Things you found out embarrassingly late in life  (Read 3763 times)

WashingtonNECKTIE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • Precision Posture
Re: Things you found out embarrassingly late in life
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2023, 11:58:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Didn’t know that either. Come to think of it I realise  I don’t understand half the buttons of any given appliance I own. The older I get the more I realise I don’t know shit in general.
[close]
Didn’t know what the bagel button on a toaster did until I was like 26. Thought it just toasted it harder or something.

I still don't know what the bagel button does.

or like a blender with 17 different settings. Other than the blade speed, the fuck do they change?
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 816
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2023, 02:59:00 PM »
When I was 20 I put a cigarette out on my toenail, because I was too lazy to get an ashtray and you know, you can cut your nails, so you don’t feel stuff down there. Excruciating pain followed.

When I was around 30 and my knees were already fucked, I learned to walk properly. Heel first and then roll off. With ankle movement. I never did that before in my life, I just walked around flat feeted as fuck.

Can’t wait to find out what I’m gonna learn at age 40.

Wait where were you flicking your ashes prior to that?

When in that situation I used to spit in my hand and put it out that way. Super gross but it works.

I am 30 and have had my car for 10 years, never knew you can "flip" the rear view mirror at night so that headlights aren't so harsh. My girlfriend did it in her car a few months ago and I was like oh that's a neat feature your car has, then she proceeded to tell me that most cars have it (and I'm the annoying car nerd).

She was right though: the car I've had for 10 years has it, and so does the 24 year old Miata I bought last year lol.

Dude that's been standard on like every car since the 70s. Maybe earlier. I don't think I've ever even seen a mirror that doesn't have the day/night tab, I know for a fact the 12.99 AutoZone super glue specials have it.

ThatIsNotCricket

• Rep: 79
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2023, 03:02:23 PM »
My female dog pisses both ways. I think your wife is the one that should be embarrassed.

Of course, of course, this whole pissing business is a general characteristic of male vs female dogs which doesn't necessarily apply to each and every one.

It turns out some female dogs can be territorial and lift their leg when they mark their space, while with male dogs this leg raising is more a factory setting that's always on.

I think you just so happen to live with a particularly feisty bitch.

Captain No Cab

• Rep: 20
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2023, 04:09:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm in my mid 30's, and two days ago I found out that male dogs piss with a leg raised, and female dogs piss sitting down. I always thought all dogs (male and female) just switch it up, going with whatever they feel like at a given moment (maybe the raised leg usually for claiming territory, and the sitting down generally for the actual job).

[close]

Not all male dogs cock their legs to piss. Mine doesn't, and they reckon It's cos he was desexed so young. That wasn't my choice though, the rescue place snips them as soon as they get them, regardless of age, the poor blighter.
[close]

I have a pitbull and it would fuck your dog up so hard

How do you so consistently post the cringiest incel shit man, I gotta know your secret
If you sk8, you know, when you bite into that spring-roll

Jewel Runner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 104
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2023, 09:15:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Decent dental hygiene, like scraping each side of the of the teeth while flossing instead of just passing floss between them
[close]

I learn how to correctly brush my teeth when I was 18. Went to the dentist ,first time by myself, had a lot of shit to fix. Dr looks me and said "show me how you brush your teeth", I perform and to my surprise I was doing it all wrong. Basically I was just cleaning the tips. Took me a long time to get everything fixed but from that point I had no real issues with my mouth.

Don't know who's to blame, me, my parents or the education system but I never felt so dumb in my life.

I wonder if I'm doing it all wrong as well...

Give us some tips man

changed1

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2023, 10:27:06 AM »
I learned like a week ago that you need wax to properly skate ledges.
I always knew that, but a decade+ of old heads telling me to just go faster made me believe I could skate anything without wax. Which is sort of true but i could never hold a grind or slide to save my life. Only little love taps or otherwise my board would lock up. Also slipped out on unexpected waxed rails trying to boardslide which made me hate wax even more. Finally got some wax and now I can sit in long noseslides like I’ve always wanted.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 11:04:18 AM by changed1 »

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2023, 10:47:32 AM »
Expand Quote
My go-to fun fact for like 15 years was that a group of raccoons is called a business of raccoons. I recently found out this is fact false and it's a group of ferrets that is called a business.

Completely blew my mind.
[close]

I just found out the other night that a group of crows is called a murder. I was flabbergasted
My favorites are a pride of lions and a crash of rhinos. Most of them are pretty poetic so get your mind blown https://arapahoelibraries.org/blogs/post/names-for-groups-of-animals/
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1315
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2023, 10:53:00 AM »
I'm in my mid 30's, and two days ago I found out that male dogs piss with a leg raised, and female dogs piss sitting down. I always thought all dogs (male and female) just switch it up, going with whatever they feel like at a given moment (maybe the raised leg usually for claiming territory, and the sitting down generally for the actual job).

I found out when my wife's friend brought her dog over, and we were forced to watch it run around the garden like a maniac and piss on each and every object available. I try to make some small talk and ask the friend if the dog is male or female, my wife states that its pretty obvious the dog is male, and I ask her how she can tell. I've never seen concern, pity and fear come together in one reaction like that.

Any other blind spots in general knowledge that came to light embarrassingly late?
Not to confuse you at your moment of enlightenment but my female dog pees with her leg up 70 percent of the time. She's a rescue tho and we think she was raised with a pack of male dogs and wanted to fit in.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2023, 11:26:48 AM »
Expand Quote

I found out when my wife's friend brought her dog over, and we were forced to watch it run around the garden like a maniac and piss on each and every object available. I try to make some small talk and ask the friend if the dog is male or female, my wife states that its pretty obvious the dog is male, and I ask her how she can tell. I've never seen concern, pity and fear come together in one reaction like that.

Any other blind spots in general knowledge that came to light embarrassingly late?
[close]
Not to confuse you at your moment of enlightenment but my female dog pees with her leg up 70 percent of the time. She's a rescue tho and we think she was raised with a pack of male dogs and wanted to fit in.

Not trying to add more to the confusion but there's also this...

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2023, 02:16:31 PM »
 Dog pee all way

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 93
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2023, 02:35:40 AM »
I always knew that, but a decade+ of old heads telling me to just go faster made me believe I could skate anything without wax. Which is sort of true but i could never hold a grind or slide to save my life. Only little love taps or otherwise my board would lock up. Also slipped out on unexpected waxed rails trying to boardslide which made me hate wax even more. Finally got some wax and now I can sit in long noseslides like I’ve always wanted.

I have a friend who goes Mach 10 into every ledge trick and will definitely add that it's a moot point saying to 'go faster'. Sticking on a ledge fucking sucks compared to just slipping out. Pulling your shoulder and going flying is a lot worse than slipping out as you weren't in the slide or grind properly.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 473
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2023, 06:07:59 AM »
My go-to fun fact for like 15 years was that a group of raccoons is called a business of raccoons. I recently found out this is fact false and it's a group of ferrets that is called a business.

Completely blew my mind.

Alright - now what's the word for a group of raccoons?

For dogs the general picture seems to be that bitches squat and bucks raise a leg, but there's lots of individual exceptions. What is true is that most bucks mark their territory way more aggressively and pee everywhere, whereas most bitches seem content with two or three pees per walk.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1561
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2023, 06:19:14 AM »
I thought Costa Rica was an island until I was 27.

My old dog would switch it up, sometimes he’d squat, sometimes he would raise a leg. I just chalked it up to feeling the same way I do about. No shame in my game… Some times I stand to pee, sometimes I sit down to pee, just depends on my mood at the time. But if I’m at my house there’s a very strong chance I’m going to sit down to pee.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2023, 05:32:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have a friend who goes Mach 10 into every ledge trick and will definitely add that it's a moot point saying to 'go faster'. Sticking on a ledge fucking sucks compared to just slipping out. Pulling your shoulder and going flying is a lot worse than slipping out as you weren't in the slide or grind properly.

Yeah, i've posted about this before. I grew up with all these older skate mentors of mine being like militantly anti-wax and it forced me into a limited back of tricks. I just assumed you had to be insanely talented to do bluntsides etc, but you don't. You still go at it with some speed, but they're really not that hard at all with a little wax. I will say though, I know some people who skate great, but I do think less of their abilities because they use so much wax and skate kind of slow. Use wax and skate fast is my take, I am not interested in a slow but long slide or grind.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1315
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2023, 08:24:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just go faster guys especially when it comes to ledges guarantee have like 4 tricks max on ledges. The ven diagram between those guys and the "style over tricks" guys overlap alot. People who overstate the style thing also have the most stock bland style. All to say, these guys make up the "go fast, do nothing" subsection at the skatepark.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 539
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2023, 08:26:46 AM »
That there's a difference between gay and queer

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2023, 07:45:18 PM »
Expand Quote

Completely blew my mind.
[close]

I just found out the other night that a group of crows is called a murder. I was flabbergasted

Gobsmacked. One is “gobsmacked” upon learning a group of crows is called a murder. One is flabbergasted to learn a group of raccoons is called a “trash pandemonium”.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2023, 03:36:55 PM »
I think I’m a moderate waxer. I think I’d rather stick than slip out. Mind you I ain’t hitting any handrails or large hubbas. It’s just that when you slip out you’re more likely to fall backwards and hit your dome piece. Not that I’ve ever hit my head but I’ve definitely been very scared multiple times when falling blind.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1211
  • old and in the way
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2023, 07:45:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Completely blew my mind.
[close]

[close]
My favorites are a pride of lions and a crash of rhinos. Most of them are pretty poetic so get your mind blown https://arapahoelibraries.org/blogs/post/names-for-groups-of-animals/

A cauldron of bats is my favorite.
I didn’t really learn how to do fractions in school and it wasn’t until age 21 when I started working a couple days a week helping my friend’s father manipulate blueprints when he immediately noticed I had no idea what I was doing that he patiently taught me the basics. Nice guy.

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 558
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2023, 07:56:22 PM »

Think about what these are called

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1436
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2023, 08:12:51 PM »
I am 30 and have had my car for 10 years, never knew you can "flip" the rear view mirror at night so that headlights aren't so harsh. My girlfriend did it in her car a few months ago and I was like oh that's a neat feature your car has, then she proceeded to tell me that most cars have it (and I'm the annoying car nerd).

I been driving for 21 years and learned this today. Fuuuck. Ive been turning the rear view mirror up to face the roof all these years, running blind in the rear view. Damn
She was right though: the car I've had for 10 years has it, and so does the 24 year old Miata I bought last year lol.
Support your local skate shop

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2023, 08:36:22 PM »
What do you mean by flip the mirror tho?  Maybe I just need to fuck around with mine tomorrow and it'll be obvious.

Today Clyde taught me John Igie's last name is pronounced "ee-gay"  I was always saying it like "eye gee"

changed1

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2023, 09:17:07 PM »
What do you mean by flip the mirror tho?  Maybe I just need to fuck around with mine tomorrow and it'll be obvious.

Today Clyde taught me John Igie's last name is pronounced "ee-gay"  I was always saying it like "eye gee"
There’s a little tab on the back of the rear view mirror and if you flip it up, it like changes the angle or something. Very useful

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 816
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2023, 01:33:48 AM »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wapcar.my/news/2658/amp

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2023, 05:37:15 AM »
maybe a few weeks ago i realized you oughta know by alannis morissette she's saying the cross i bear that you gave to me.... i thought she was being oddly specific to an ex and saying the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me..like one of these

I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 251
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2023, 06:07:49 AM »
maybe a few weeks ago i realized you oughta know by alannis morissette she's saying the cross i bear that you gave to me.... i thought she was being oddly specific to an ex and saying the cross-eyed bear that you gave to me..like one of these

My mum and her brother thought that Eddie Grant was singing "Electric Carbonoot" when they were children.

busey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
  • i can't it's a geo!
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2023, 06:47:20 AM »
electric avenue/carbonoot is arguably the most universally adored song of all time
I rolled my ankle jacking off on a ladder.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 340
  • Low Scovilles
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2023, 02:26:16 PM »
Fishing.
Shit’s dope pals fam.

Tenkara is the sneak attack of fishing.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

cilantro

• Rep: 44
  • human bean
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2023, 04:00:51 PM »
Had girl dogs and boy dogs. They’d pee both ways depending on how territorial they felt, with the boys usually peeing leg up and girls squatting.

Mirror tab thing is insane, won’t change my life too much but I had no idea.

When we were freshmen in high school, one of the dudes in my skate crew told us that he titty fucked this senior girl. He was such a dork and it was obviously fake, but everyone in my crew believed it but me. It would come up over the years and I’d tell them it was a lie, and they would go away thinking I was jealous. It was frustrating but one of those things that cracked me up super hard about my buddies.

Anyway, we’re in our mid 20s, three of us get an apartment together. Me, homie that stayed skating, and the titty fucker. Skate homie was drinking with me one night and the story comes up, and he’s like, “yeah it was crazy that he did that, how did he even manage to do that”. Told him again it was fake and he got quiet and looked pensively at the floor for a good minute, suddenly his eyes open wide when he realized. All he could say was, “we believed him!”

Scottboarding

• Rep: 90
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2023, 11:13:07 PM »
I thought Costa Rica was an island until I was 27.
I thought Costa Rica was an island until right now when I read this. I’m 25 but probably could’ve made it way past 27 without knowing.

Not me but my girlfriend thought Rhinos were a species of dinosaurs and had been extinct for millions of years. She was 21 when I broke the news to her.