11 (3.1%)
Dying to Live
3 (0.8%)
Mosaic
16 (4.5%)
Menikmati
10 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 350

Author Topic: Yeah Right vs Sorry vs Baker 3  (Read 7314 times)

Rasmus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
Re: Yeah Right vs Sorry vs Baker 3
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2023, 01:14:35 AM »
Sorry for me is the perfect skate video. The length is perfect, they paid attention to production, but didn't overdo it. The team feels like a team, and the skating is absolutely gorgeous! Yeah Right is also one of my favourite skate videos, but Sorry tops it as a whole, in my opinion.

Baker 3 isn't up there with legendary skate videos in my mind. I thought it was fine, and there are some seriously great moments in there, but it's not in the conversation of greatest skate films, if you'd ask me.

A surprisingly great film from that era, which I don't think gets brought up very often, was Blind's What If. It completely blew my expectations, and it felt like a lot more work had went into it compared to other films around that time.

Rasmus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 71
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2023, 01:16:00 AM »
Bag of Suck deserves to be on here for sure.

That's another masterpiece, for sure! When people ask me what my favourite parts of all time are, I always say it is a tie between Jerry's part in bag of suck, and Puleo in Static 2.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2023, 01:34:09 AM »
I love, love, love pretty much all of the mentioned videos and would gladly sit down anytime to watch any of them in one go. But when it comes to the one single greatest video of that decade, and for my money of all time, it has to be Sorry. It's really hard to get across now how psyched we were before it even came out after all that build-up, and we were still blown the fuck away by it. I do believe it hit even harder here in Europe because it was the first time we felt like we were unquestionably at the center of skate culture. Of course it didn't last, nothing truly great ever can. But it was certainly apex mountain for highly anticipated skate videos that more than lived up to the hype.

Mongo Lloyd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2023, 01:38:19 AM »
The only problem with Sorry was that it was so good it set the bar for that which could never be repeated by Flip. Really Sorry was very good, but there’s no matching the standard that Sorry set.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2016
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2023, 03:52:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Bag of Suck deserves to be on here for sure.
[close]

That's another masterpiece, for sure! When people ask me what my favourite parts of all time are, I always say it is a tie between Jerry's part in bag of suck, and Puleo in Static 2.

Same but replace Jerry for Louie's part in BoS. Jerry is pure talent, Louie is pure fun.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 115
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2023, 03:59:16 AM »
There is no good reason why Beagle filmed most of Baker 3 on a TRV900....hated that camera, and the audio

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2023, 05:36:17 AM »
its important to put this into perspective what this period was like if you were not old enough to drive.  we are so spoiled now that when we are lucky for a team to drop a full-length, we get it on YouTube instantly, or worse, thrasher, but the point is that we all get that video at the same time and can watch it easily.  back then, before YouTube, you had to know someone who had the video, or you had to have the means to get the video yourself. 

even though Arto was that guy in the early 00s, and witnessing all the build up to sorry, I remember being let down by sorry for some reason - I think its because I had to borrow the VHS from this kid at school from a rival crew, and that left a bad taste in my mouth.  I remember being let down by the penny footage also

baker 3 is the video from this list that made any kind of an impression on me. that video had quite a few highs and lows in all the best way.  Dixon baker 3 is up there with the most beloved parts of all time, next to guy mouse and gonz video days.  the return of TK, hes entirely quotable throughout the movie and dvd title screen.  you only have Owen Wilson with the quotes from yeah right.  RIP black mike.  weed saves lives. getting fucked up tonight. youve had your jager.  baker baker. thats why the fuck I got this.  lou reed street hastle. Bryan Herman when he looks up at the camera.  greco when he stole his board back from the security guard.  Ellington in his Ellington form where he dresses and skates sketchy but because its him doing it it looks incredible

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 270
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2023, 05:43:25 AM »
Sorry is pound for pound the greatest.   Rowley and Arto both got SOTY filming for it and it pushes Appleyaard to get it almost immediately after.   

Photosynthesis is pretty close to number 2

Yeah Right is probably the best Crail video, but I haven’t felt the urge to watch it all the way through in a while and the Koston part has one of the all time bad songs

Baker 2G > Baker 3 because I’m that age

Fr
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2023, 06:37:42 AM »
I never really liked that era of skateboarding (early 2000s) so all the ones people are mentioning are kinda whatever. I guess I would say Bag of Suck and PJ Ladd’s Wonderful Horrible Life.

This century I would say Worble III or Foundation Whippersnappers.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2016
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2023, 06:51:25 AM »
I'll add Hot Chocolate to that already long list. Before that we had Beware The Flare and Harsh Euro Barge that gave us a taste of Crailtap in the early to mid 2000s, Hot Chocolate solidified that identity and introduced us to pros who would carry the torch as the 2nd generation of the brand.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Dummklaus

• Rep: 46
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2023, 07:09:18 AM »
this may very well be the european perspective, but i think cliché - bon appétit at least deserves a honorable mention here. it definitely was a big deal for us when it came out. would never put it in the same catergory as sorry though

Banned from the room

« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2023, 07:21:12 AM »
Also shrimp blunt is better than bako 3. It's the music that puts it over the top

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 545
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2023, 07:56:45 AM »

Pooh Drunx

• Rep: -65
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2023, 08:52:17 AM »
Sorry for mine...

As an aside Mosaic > Photo imo

Also I never seen anyone list This Is Skateboarding as their favourite video..

Its mine

Ourladyoftheflowers

• Rep: 103
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2023, 09:15:50 AM »
Voted photo cause of all those it’s the one I watched the most as a kid (along with mislead youth). Mostly came in here to agree that blind what if was not only a sick video but the first video I bought on dvd because the guy at the shop told me how to watch video days as an Easter egg. I had heard about that video endlessly in magazines and overspent on what if to finally see it. Didn’t disappoint and honestly completely changed skating for me. Went from a zero/baker stair huck kid to basically worshiping Gonz and Jason Lee. I really appreciate blind doing that

DakotaRed

• Rep: 28
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2023, 09:20:54 AM »
this may very well be the european perspective, but i think cliché - bon appétit at least deserves a honorable mention here. it definitely was a big deal for us when it came out. would never put it in the same catergory as sorry though
I'm from rust belt america and bon appétit is near and dear to my heart.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2023, 09:52:29 AM »
How has Fully Flared not been mentioned?
The last time anybody though fully flared was the best video of all time was a week before fully flared came out

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 558
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2023, 10:08:41 AM »
Aesthetically/musically/stylistically: Photosynthesis (over mosaic/mindfield though love those too)

Raw skating : Menikmati, Sorry

Good vibes: Yeah right, baker 3/2g

Best part: PJLWHL

Emerica vids are certainly up there too, but i feel like they haven't aged as well

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1213
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2023, 10:11:32 AM »
photo
hardly art, hardly starving

fastlane

• Rep: -5
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2023, 10:28:13 AM »
As good as Baker 2g is/was, Don't think it is part of this debate. It's more about the zeitgeist videos of this time. The expectation, the build-up, the promotion, and eventually the release. Baker 3 was massive and completely met and outdid expectations.

matureoftheocean

• Rep: 61
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2023, 10:36:38 AM »
Its Sorry.

Bon appetit is also great, maybe the Best euromovie
And both are filmed and edited by frenchfred
SUOMI | FINLAND | PRKL www.fat1937.blogspot.com

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2023, 10:37:42 AM »
its important to put this into perspective what this period was like if you were not old enough to drive.  we are so spoiled now that when we are lucky for a team to drop a full-length, we get it on YouTube instantly, or worse, thrasher, but the point is that we all get that video at the same time and can watch it easily.  back then, before YouTube, you had to know someone who had the video, or you had to have the means to get the video yourself. 

even though Arto was that guy in the early 00s, and witnessing all the build up to sorry, I remember being let down by sorry for some reason - I think its because I had to borrow the VHS from this kid at school from a rival crew, and that left a bad taste in my mouth.  I remember being let down by the penny footage also

baker 3 is the video from this list that made any kind of an impression on me. that video had quite a few highs and lows in all the best way.  Dixon baker 3 is up there with the most beloved parts of all time, next to guy mouse and gonz video days.  the return of TK, hes entirely quotable throughout the movie and dvd title screen.  you only have Owen Wilson with the quotes from yeah right.  RIP black mike.  weed saves lives. getting fucked up tonight. youve had your jager.  baker baker. thats why the fuck I got this.  lou reed street hastle. Bryan Herman when he looks up at the camera.  greco when he stole his board back from the security guard.  Ellington in his Ellington form where he dresses and skates sketchy but because its him doing it it looks incredible

We almost never get full length, heavy hitting videos with an entire team like this anymore, though

tadej Pog

• Rep: -528
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2023, 10:38:38 AM »
Its Oficial from Kayo is a dope video.
Miss you Rusty Berings

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -145
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2023, 10:47:46 AM »
i think *as a package* baker 3 also had tons of great side content that would have ended  up on the web these days . at that time it was insanely rewatchable, they gave you options. reminds me of a lazy day hanging out with some epic thrown into the mix. its not as dark as 2g but its more fun.

mosaic and bag of suck tho

BluffsideTank

• Rep: -15
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2023, 11:42:21 AM »
Yeah, I'd say Sorry was the best vid, Baker as a brand though is the most memorable and I think influential to your average skater.  Photo holds up the best IMO, and Yeah Right pretty much solidified Girl as one of the greatest companies of all time.

I was going to say something to this sentiment. From a brand standpoint, Baker is next level. I'm curious (because I wasn't paying attention at the time) what the reaction was to Mindfield. All time great to be sure, but what did it mean for AWS? Obviously, the company imploded a few years later, but what was the reaction from the skate community? Did the video/investment in a full video end up killing the company? Sure hope not, because it's my favorite to be sure.

Groondor the Orc

• Rep: -146
  • Doper than Joey Bast’s shelltoes
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2023, 11:46:33 AM »
Ryan Smith Dying to Live is the best video part of all time so I vote for that.

MC3

• Rep: 142
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2023, 11:52:19 AM »
not objectively, Mind Field.
(Cool Trick GIF)

PalaceButtPlug

• Rep: -389
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2023, 11:54:34 AM »
Bag of suck can't be an option because Nestor Judkins had a part, and he's definitely in the list of least-skilled skaters with their name on a board.

Grand Saber

• Rep: 8
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2023, 11:58:44 AM »
Bag of suck can't be an option because Nestor Judkins had a part, and he's definitely in the list of least-skilled skaters with their name on a board.
Except he wasn't in the video except for a guest trick...?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2023, 12:21:58 PM »
Its Oficial from Kayo is a dope video.

I liked the ‘03 Kayo promo where the Expedition team skated to Britney Spears.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion