11 (3.1%)
Dying to Live
3 (0.8%)
Mosaic
16 (4.5%)
Menikmati
10 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 350

Author Topic: Yeah Right vs Sorry vs Baker 3  (Read 7311 times)

Crailslideyoface

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 43
Re: Yeah Right vs Sorry vs Baker 3
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2023, 12:26:25 PM »
Good & Evil and Bag of Suck have entered the chat
I wanna crap in a box just to mail it to you so your bitch ass can smell it

Lhotse’s Pit of Death

« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2023, 12:31:53 PM »
I really liked ‘the End’ eventhough it doesn’t really get mentioned with the best of this era. Reynolds three songs with clips that ultimately led to him being soty; mc crank anything; Hirchart and Klein on fire; Steve Berra pre kook; Tony Hawk doing the loop de loop and Lasek joking…all right around the time i was skipping school to play TPHS and skating all day…great video imo.

Crust

• Rep: 54
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2023, 01:09:38 PM »
+1 for Bag of Suck.

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 558
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2023, 01:14:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Yeah, I'd say Sorry was the best vid, Baker as a brand though is the most memorable and I think influential to your average skater.  Photo holds up the best IMO, and Yeah Right pretty much solidified Girl as one of the greatest companies of all time.
[close]

I was going to say something to this sentiment. From a brand standpoint, Baker is next level. I'm curious (because I wasn't paying attention at the time) what the reaction was to Mindfield. All time great to be sure, but what did it mean for AWS? Obviously, the company imploded a few years later, but what was the reaction from the skate community? Did the video/investment in a full video end up killing the company? Sure hope not, because it's my favorite to be sure.

The reaction was very positive in my memory, on SLAP and elsewhere, though i guess a few of the parts stuck out as not being up to snuff (Berra, Dyrdek, Dill), and some parts were good but felt out of place (Arto, Mikey). Dylan's part was pretty good but didn't suggest the transcendence he would get to in the Gravis part that followed, by his own admission.

Omar, Kalis, Heath & AVE all murdered it, good grom parts from GT and Bledsoe, but overwhelmingly Mindfield's biggest legacy is the Jake Johnson part, which arguably defined what skating would become in the 2010's.

Oh, and when i first saw it, i was on shrooms, and I wept like a baby while the bagpipes blared Amazing Grace in the opening. Still get goosebumps from the thought of it

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2023, 01:14:57 PM »
I really liked ‘the End’ eventhough it doesn’t really get mentioned with the best of this era. Reynolds three songs with clips that ultimately led to him being soty; mc crank anything; Hirchart and Klein on fire; Steve Berra pre kook; Tony Hawk doing the loop de loop and Lasek joking…all right around the time i was skipping school to play TPHS and skating all day…great video imo.
I’m pretty sure that came out in the 90s

PalaceButtPlug

• Rep: -389
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2023, 01:22:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Bag of suck can't be an option because Nestor Judkins had a part, and he's definitely in the list of least-skilled skaters with their name on a board.
[close]
Except he wasn't in the video except for a guest trick...?

then cooper wilt, same thing

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 258
« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2023, 01:33:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bag of suck can't be an option because Nestor Judkins had a part, and he's definitely in the list of least-skilled skaters with their name on a board.
[close]
[close]

The guy from Almost who was never on Enjoi?

PalaceButtPlug

• Rep: -389
« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2023, 01:41:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

The guy from Almost who was never on Enjoi?

I was thinking of Jimmy Carlin, all 3 make any video they were apart of as exempt from this list.

biggietoms

• Rep: 8
  • take acid
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2023, 01:45:07 PM »
Expand Quote
How has Fully Flared not been mentioned?
[close]
The last time anybody though fully flared was the best video of all time was a week before fully flared came out

dam..this is funny asf. yeah i think fully flared kinda lowkey killed lakai. the company was never the same after that video. beware of the flare was so sick and is the "true" lakai video imho.

i remember reading a kelly bird interview back in the day saying they had to sell a bunch of vulcs and shitty shoes to make up for the loss they took making fully flared.

biggietoms

• take acid
« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2023, 01:48:48 PM »
As good as Baker 2g is/was, Don't think it is part of this debate. It's more about the zeitgeist videos of this time. The expectation, the build-up, the promotion, and eventually the release. Baker 3 was massive and completely met and outdid expectations.

And this fr. I loved (and still love) baker2g, but there is no way its better than baker 3 (imo). Honest shocked at all the baker 3 hate lol, antwuans contribution alone takes baker 3 to the next level.

biggietoms

• take acid
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2023, 01:55:59 PM »
a few vids that i forgot to include but  are totally worth mentioning Bag of Suck, Feedback,The reason, Good and Evil, Static 2, Ryde or Die Vol.1, plus a few others mentioned.

looking back tho...i feel that none of these (although great videos) can compare in magnitude, roster, hype, cultural zeitgeist to the ones on the list (except for maybe bag of suck). def in another catergory of video. cult classics maybe? underground favorites?

someone mentioned Stay Gold , which i excluded because it came out in 2010, but is still not better than Sorry...or even Yeah Right lol

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -203
« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2023, 03:28:07 PM »
hooray, Sorry is winning

tadej Pog

• Rep: -528
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #102 on: September 05, 2023, 04:09:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
The last time anybody though fully flared was the best video of all time was a week before fully flared came out
[close]

dam..this is funny asf. yeah i think fully flared kinda lowkey killed lakai. the company was never the same after that video. beware of the flare was so sick and is the "true" lakai video imho.

i remember reading a kelly bird interview back in the day saying they had to sell a bunch of vulcs and shitty shoes to make up for the loss they took making fully flared.

Nike, Adidas and Cons killed lakai, és, Dvs and Adio. The video when lounched was on hype.

Mike mo, Mariano comeback, Marc johnson 3 songs part was crazy at the momment. Despite Mouse it was the best Koston and Carroll part.

Its easy now saying it was cringe, but back in the days every kid wanted to be Mike Mo.
Miss you Rusty Berings

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #103 on: September 05, 2023, 04:14:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Its Oficial from Kayo is a dope video.
[close]

I liked the ‘03 Kayo promo where the Expedition team skated to Britney Spears.

there was an adio promo that used a few B.Spears songs too...

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #104 on: September 05, 2023, 04:47:42 PM »
All those videos are great but Sorry just did it for me. Amazing skating and incredible roster. To top it off, Johnny Rotten as a host and a soundtrack that includes the Stooges, David Bowie, Gray Matter, and the Velvet Underground. I mean, look at these guys. Also, so many memorable lines.

biggietoms

• take acid
« Reply #105 on: September 05, 2023, 05:22:05 PM »
All those videos are great but Sorry just did it for me. Amazing skating and incredible roster. To top it off, Johnny Rotten as a host and a soundtrack that includes the Stooges, David Bowie, Gray Matter, and the Velvet Underground. I mean, look at these guys. Also, so many memorable lines.

dam. epic foto fr. we really need a flip epicly laterd...or a "sorry" documentary

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2023, 05:23:13 PM »
honorable mention for sight unseen.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1143
« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2023, 05:45:41 PM »
Aesthetically/musically/stylistically: Photosynthesis (over mosaic/mindfield though love those too)

Raw skating : Menikmati, Sorry

Good vibes: Yeah right, baker 3/2g

Best part: PJLWHL

Emerica vids are certainly up there too, but i feel like they haven't aged as well

i agree with a lot of this.

photo probably.

sorry was great, i liked bon appetit more. french fred was magnificent. i just wasn’t a fan of the sorry guys, style wise. yes, a lot of the skating was ‘the best’, but think of the skating that is currently ‘the best’, is it your favorite? for me, no. i’m older, and that probably had me not quite as hyped on sorry as i would have been. to my younger friends it is THE video.

where my age hypothesis doesn’t track is with the baker shit. i was too hyped on that. baker 3, fuck i was old then, and that whole video, style, all of it, too good. antwuan is a top 5 for me, forever.

i’m not the best with this kind of poll, ryde or die is such a pure moment to me that i’d love that over most of these, and i guess that’s why photo does it for me, was just really excellent, without being too over the top. i think.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #108 on: September 05, 2023, 06:28:42 PM »
Extremely Sorry

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2016
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #109 on: September 05, 2023, 06:33:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Lakai flew too close to the sun with FF, worked their team to the brink that they could never recover from and achieved heights they have never been able to reach subsequently. I remember Slap loving Guy's part and I too go emotional when I used to rewatch it, everyone was divided on Pops' part.

My home internet was crap so I went to an internet cafe to download the video to watch off my laptop with the usual skate crew. I was they only one enthralled from start to end, by midway they were completely checked out. I thought they were a bunch of plebs, but in hindsight they were right; the video had no reason being that drawn out.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: September 05, 2023, 06:56:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Lakai flew too close to the sun with FF, worked their team to the brink that they could never recover from and achieved heights they have never been able to reach subsequently. I remember Slap loving Guy's part and I too go emotional when I used to rewatch it, everyone was divided on Pops' part.

My home internet was crap so I went to an internet cafe to download the video to watch off my laptop with the usual skate crew. I was they only one enthralled from start to end, by midway they were completely checked out. I thought they were a bunch of plebs, but in hindsight they were right; the video had no reason being that drawn out.

Yeah the Ty regiment seemed like it really broke the spirits of a lot involved (or more likely he was the easy scapegoat for management) and then Pretty Sweet was the death blow

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 473
« Reply #111 on: September 05, 2023, 07:04:06 PM »
Baker 3 did it for me.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
« Reply #112 on: September 05, 2023, 08:14:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah the Ty regiment seemed like it really broke the spirits of a lot involved (or more likely he was the easy scapegoat for management) and then Pretty Sweet was the death blow
Fully flared was skateboarding's Avatar. You can say it's not a great video watching it now but denying how fucking huge it was at the time is stupid.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #113 on: September 05, 2023, 08:25:25 PM »
DVS skate more?

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #114 on: September 05, 2023, 08:38:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Its Oficial from Kayo is a dope video.
[close]

I liked the ‘03 Kayo promo where the Expedition team skated to Britney Spears.
[close]

there was an adio promo that used a few B.Spears songs too...

Why is Danny Gorman (Adio sales rep at the time) signing autographs at 4:40? Who is asking for a sales rep's autograph?  ;D

And, I forgot about Adio's connection to Real back then. Completely forgot Torres and Dompierre road for Adio.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

biggietoms

• take acid
« Reply #115 on: September 05, 2023, 09:11:51 PM »
DVS skate more?

skate more is incredble..and extremely underrated. Dills best part he put out (yes better than his photo part)

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #116 on: September 05, 2023, 09:21:33 PM »
Both Lordz videos, Blueprint Waiting for the World, and North put foreign videos on the map in the early 00’s.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: September 05, 2023, 09:23:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Fully flared was skateboarding's Avatar. You can say it's not a great video watching it now but denying how fucking huge it was at the time is stupid.

I’d go with Endgame.  An amazing effort and stacked cast that kind of killed everyone’s appetite for more

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
« Reply #118 on: September 05, 2023, 09:42:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I’d go with Endgame.  An amazing effort and stacked cast that kind of killed everyone’s appetite for more
Maybe but i don't remember endgame at all tho. Prob fully flared is lord of the rings and pretty sweet is the hobbit. Pretty similar feeling seeing the five armies and the PS prem

HeapsCool

• Rep: -182
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #119 on: September 05, 2023, 09:44:26 PM »
Ryde or die by Aesthetics was a universally adored video which should get more shine.