Author Topic: Sean Pablo of FA?  (Read 64828 times)

Ayanami

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 55
Re: Sean Pablo of FA?
« Reply #270 on: December 17, 2023, 01:07:37 PM »
Harmony Korine as a Berry Gordy type of producer/label/brand makes a ton of sense to me.

I didn't know Boiler Rooms were kinda like TEDx but it's the music biz so of course they are. Shit still got me into newer Ghettotech so I'm OK with it. Here's a disreputable Berlin show that I thought was dope:

MCR-T is cool, did a really good set with Horsegiirl

https://youtu.be/Vt7xiu1-YHM?si=bi_eF-uTztK7DaGb
i like the tiny headed bear who says nice stuff to everyone.

Ex Lion Tamer

• Rep: 20
« Reply #271 on: December 17, 2023, 01:28:45 PM »
WTF is this? Wish he would’ve just went to Violet instead. At least that would’ve made sense.

Don Pendleton did it better

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 407
« Reply #272 on: December 17, 2023, 02:26:41 PM »
I’m surprised dill isn’t “embarrassed by what FA and the people that wear it have become” yet…considering he once pulled all the FA product (pre-board company) from supreme LA after drunkenly losing his shit watching some rich little fat kid with his mom buy an allover print tshirt.

Free max b

It is strange how fast stuff changes.

4 years ago almost eeeeeevery kid was wearing/skating FA stuff over here.

Today it's tons of sci-fi fantasy and april boards, blank carhartt shirts and baggy carhartt carpenter jeans and/or polar big boy pants.

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1440
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #273 on: December 19, 2023, 12:22:25 PM »
WOOF! Send that shit down the pipe to Mami

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 28
« Reply #274 on: January 20, 2024, 04:26:00 PM »

sean p posted this today. this looks better than those pre-school caveman art looking graphics that were shown earlier

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #275 on: January 20, 2024, 05:24:02 PM »

sean p posted this today. this looks better than those pre-school caveman art looking graphics that were shown earlier
what in the absolute fuck is this? looks like something from a call of duty trailer or some shit. awful.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #276 on: January 20, 2024, 05:46:42 PM »

Maybe just slightly but they still look fucking stupid

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1362
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #277 on: January 20, 2024, 05:50:47 PM »
Aggro Drift lol

Out of the gate is a bite of Quasi's Acid Ply. Looking good
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

insouciant

« Reply #278 on: January 20, 2024, 06:01:59 PM »
Aggro Dr1ft is a 2023 American experimental action film directed by Harmony Korine and starring Travis Scott. Its plot follows an assassin on a mission to kill a demonic crime lord. The film is presented entirely in infrared photography. It had its world premiere at the 80th Venice International Film Festival on September 2, 2023.

The film orbits around a melancholic assassin named BO (Jordi Mollà) as he prepares to vanquish a demonic crime lord in a Floridian realm of vivid pinks, blazing yellows, and deep purples. But the particulars of its minimalist plot are largely moot; the vibe is what’s paramount.

Can a movie be both boring and mind-blowing at the same time? The hit-man plot doesn't hold much interest, but everything else about the bleeding-edge director's radical experiment is electrifying. --Variety

grassblade

« Reply #279 on: January 20, 2024, 06:02:30 PM »
Out of the gate is a bite of Quasi's Acid Ply.

in what way?

insouciant

« Reply #280 on: January 20, 2024, 06:18:00 PM »
korine did a bunch of paintings (at Hauser & Wirth) based on the film…
i like them. interesting high/low, figurative/abstract, color/field experiment imo
looks like the board features part of one of the paintings
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 06:30:01 PM by insouciant »

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 753
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #281 on: January 20, 2024, 06:25:57 PM »
Looks like a water color version of Reboot. Pass
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 152
« Reply #282 on: January 20, 2024, 06:44:25 PM »

This is garbage. This whole shtick by Harmony Korine is nothing but self-masterbatory meritless garbage, and I speculate everyone involved will be out of a job in six months. It'd be nice if he kept skateboarding out of it.

From GQ:
"There are many ways to describe EDGLRD, it turns out, none of them simple. This is the first time Korine or his partners have talked about it publicly. It’s a design collective; it’s a creative factory; it makes movies that are not really movies, movies that are closer to video games, that sometimes are actually playable as video games. It also makes video-game video games. EDGLRD is using AI in exactly the way that people in Hollywood speculate AI might somehow be used, to help make the things it makes, except it’s already doing so. Plus, EDGLRD is prototyping clothes you can wear and clothes that your digital avatar can wear while you play EDGLRD games (that are also sometimes movies). Posters for various characters Korine and his team call FloridaLords—a girl with a hamburger face named Patty Melt; Trinika Young, a Caribbean tech psychic—line the walls of the beach house they’re using for an office."

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #283 on: January 20, 2024, 08:48:25 PM »
would have been super trendy like 5 years ago but the boiler room / miami vibes are just too fried - maybe the perfect amount of fried to make it these days though who knows

I mean I think that's a big part of Harmony's attraction to Miami/FL
talked about it when he had an opening here in LA last fall

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1267
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #284 on: January 20, 2024, 09:06:02 PM »
This shit sucks!!!!!!!

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1362
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #285 on: January 21, 2024, 01:45:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Out of the gate is a bite of Quasi's Acid Ply.
[close]

in what way?
My bad it's new territory where it's just a movie tie-in. Not a bite then but now I'm pretty sure that makes me hate it more.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

InkkeACAB

• Rep: 21
« Reply #286 on: January 21, 2024, 04:07:27 AM »
so bad

dropintopileout

• Rep: -39
« Reply #287 on: January 21, 2024, 05:16:46 AM »
Harmony Korine really woke up and though a skate brand that's whole image is based off of ai was gonna be his next cash cow. About as shit as shit can get.

beautifulcannolis

« Reply #288 on: January 21, 2024, 05:48:31 AM »
What annoys me is how lazy it seems. He's just punching shit into an ai machine and it spits out these grotesque ass graphics. Its so void of any actual effort or identity. I hate this so much

Shortys Hardware

• Rep: 113
« Reply #289 on: January 21, 2024, 08:25:50 AM »
Harmony Korine really woke up and though a skate brand that's whole image is based off of ai was gonna be his next cash cow. About as shit as shit can get.

its not even a skate brand, EDGLRD has been described as a creative house....I mean this guy is involved ,wtaf https://www.linkedin.com/in/eric-kohn-film

https://www.linkedin.com/company/edglrd

The skateboarding stuff is...a component of it? Cool that sean is doing something different and bringing guys like elijah odom, taylor nida, blake matthews with him and getting them paid but yeah idk..

SATIVA HYBRID

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #290 on: January 21, 2024, 09:12:45 AM »
One thing I've learned about Harmony Korine is he can do pretty much whatever the fuck he feels like and doesn't seem to lose any money/momentum for his future projects. I personally back it and am excited to see what they do, but I understand that it's not for everyone. Is it a traditional skate company in any way? Not really. Am I tired of the same old boring content/marketing tactics of every single other skateboard company? Yes! I'm so fucking sick of the same 3 aesthetics (hellride, smart guy who reads, trap music edit guy)  that I will gladly embrace whatever Harmony's bizzaro ass has to offer. The movie he did with Travis Scott sounds sick as shit too, all infrared and they're showing it in strip clubs with aarabmuzik dj set like whaaat sign me up
only hoe i love is popeyes
i put my dick in the drumstick

WarmUpZone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
  • I hope God makes you break your leg.
    • the Warm Up Zone - watching skate videos over and over avatar image
« Reply #291 on: January 21, 2024, 09:42:24 AM »
...clothes that your digital avatar can wear while you play EDGLRD games (that are also sometimes movies). Posters for various characters Korine and his team call FloridaLords—a girl with a hamburger face named Patty Melt...

1) Give me a break
2) "AI" and NFT outfits? This would be so innovative back in 2020. ABD by Lord Williams
3) "EDGLRD"? The trend of all-caps-no-vowels is over. This would've been so innovative back in 2014. ABD SOVRN (or WKND or all the others)
4) "Aggro Dr1ft" with a 1 instead of an "i"? This would've been so innovative back in 1994. ABD Se7en. Or more likely ABD 6ix9ine.
5) "Patty Melt"?!? Oh dear lord. ABD McDonaldland's Mayor McCheese
6) Give me a break
Warm Up Zone. Let's watch some skateboarding videos.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 789
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #292 on: January 21, 2024, 09:54:11 AM »
I doubt Harmony or anyone is really making significant money off of this. Boards are already sort of a loss for any brand and I’m sure Korine can make more money doing other stuff.

I’m interested in this brand. God forbid creative inspiration comes from outside of skating. The name is stupid which I find funny. Korine is into camp and low brow so calling something already stupid by creation stupid seems redundant. Korine has also helped lots of skaters with their careers in the past so he has some precedence along with helping create one of the least corny skate movies. Navigating AI is on the forefront so something new is gonna bother a lot of people. I know some people like to wear dickies vans and a slayer tee for 30 years of their skating but I’m interested in new stuff too.

nothing's been the since same

insouciant

« Reply #293 on: January 21, 2024, 11:06:42 AM »
After years of idea and speech suppression it seems time to advocate for a higher entropy submanifold of allowed opinions, disorder escalation, an archetypal fan-out. Punk (not the market-driven simulacrums that followed) was a miraculous and needed entropic opening almost instantly neutered by neo-liberalism, which structurally and necessarily drives conformity.

Maybe at this point we’re sterile, boring and trapped and don’t realize it and should be looking for new ways out. The current AI aesthetic needs to evolve before it becomes interesting, it will. But the culture desperately needs more agents of chaos not less imo.

grassblade

« Reply #294 on: January 21, 2024, 11:20:56 AM »
I doubt Harmony or anyone is really making significant money off of this.

team is getting 4k a month, so, no

zahed

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -25
« Reply #295 on: January 21, 2024, 11:24:11 AM »
good for SP. milk it as long as you can. but this brand sucks and the dude who runs it is probably still in a k hole at burning man.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 649
« Reply #296 on: January 21, 2024, 11:26:57 AM »
After years of idea and speech suppression it seems time to advocate for a higher entropy submanifold of allowed opinions, disorder escalation, an archetypal fan-out. Punk (not the market-driven simulacrums that followed) was a miraculous and needed entropic opening almost instantly neutered by neo-liberalism, which structurally and necessarily drives conformity.

Maybe at this point we’re sterile, boring and trapped and don’t realize it and should be looking for new ways out. The current AI aesthetic needs to evolve before it becomes interesting, it will. But the culture desperately needs more agents of chaos not less imo.
I honestly agree with you on all points but I gotta say, the way you write makes you doing like you’re in grad school

insouciant

« Reply #297 on: January 21, 2024, 11:33:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I honestly agree with you on all points but I gotta say, the way you write makes you doing like you’re in grad school

Ceaseless social pressure to conform, my point exactly.

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #298 on: January 21, 2024, 11:38:40 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
agreed, but it also reads more like an ai generated critique of ai

Switch360flip

• Rep: 17
« Reply #299 on: January 21, 2024, 02:17:00 PM »
I went to FSU and had a class with Sean Pablo. His pants looked like he was wearing a diaper sometimes. I remember he wouldn't talk much in class or raise his hand and I thought he was just quiet but now I wonder how much he could verbally communicate after watching him skate. There were rumors he shit himself sleeping with a girl one time after a home game against UNC too so the diaper thing adds up. It was all over YikYak. People said he would only eat steamed vegetables and jello in the dining hall and would throw a fit with the staff there if they didn't have both. He for sure got caught stealing Jello powder from a Walgreens in Tallahassee but it was kinda kept quiet once the police realized who he was. My cousin was in the police department down there and confirmed it with me after the rumor started going around. Maybe it wasn't all true but it's enough weird stuff to know something is for sure a little bit off with him.