Author Topic: Is Dustin Okay?  (Read 25863 times)

RoughStylin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 37
Is Dustin Okay?
« on: November 03, 2023, 09:01:54 PM »
Dollin seems to be a terribly dark place at the moment as displayed on his current Instagram story posts.

It looks like he’s had a rough time tonight and is alone reaching out for urgent help.

Are any Slap PALS homies with him, have his phone number, or in Paris to lend a hand?

I don’t know him personally but have DM’d to make sure he knows he’s respected, admired and loved by many.

He’s a skateboarding legend and skateboarding owes it to him to make sure he’s ok.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 354
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Is Dustin Okay?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2023, 09:34:38 PM »
fuck,

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

RoughStylin

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2023, 09:58:46 PM »
At least his final story says ‘we’, implying he’s with people now.

BootsWithTheFerg

• Rep: -54
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 10:06:34 PM »
Undeniably tragic and hard to not feel bad for him obviously. But he should have put the bottle down ten years ago. Not saying alcoholism is his entire problem, but it certainly hasn't helped him get over any of this. Dude needs sobriety and maybe even therapy.

That last pic a tough one to read, I'm sure if you asked the people around Dustin, they've tried to help, giving him similar sort of advice, stop drinking. But it's hard to keep hanging on to hope for your friends when they won't even put down the same substance that caused alot of his pain in the first. All of those people around him watched how alcohol cut the life of Shane Cross short, how it caused Pstones demise. The writing has been on the wall for nearly 20 years, Shane died in the mind 2007.

No doubt its hard to read those posts and not feel bad, and obviously he's not in the right mind. But I'd bet anything for the last 20 years there has been a revolving door of people who genuinely care and have tried to help him, but he refuses to help himself by putting down the fucking booze. You can only expect the people who love and care about you to do so much. And if your not even gonna do the bare minimum and slow down on the one thing that not only caused most of your problems but exacerbates them after the fact, what more do you expect those around you to do for you?

Life has continually gave him a sign, nothing good comes from the lifestyle he enjoys.

Don't throw your friends under bus when you rode that piss drunx shit to an early grave. Witch the exception of TK, everyone from Baker 3 moved the fuck on and grew into old boring mostly healthy humans, even Antuwan found some stability. Everyone he used to associate that's living moved on to healthier lifestyles, despite being intune with the same movement and losing the same people's.

Sad and tragic but part of me cant help but wonder what life would like for dustin if he tried to sober up like the rest of his colleagues and friends did.

greerpark

• Rep: -59
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 10:33:24 PM »
Dustin is the highest form of the typical volatile life of a pro skater, especially from the skate era of 20 years ago.

Most peoples' lives have somewhat of a wild peak during college years, but a more stable real world life after.

Pro skaters have just the best, craziest partying, drug addled, world-travelling, straight degen years of 16 to 26, and then it all goes downhill fast. You and your closest friends careers all dry up and try to latch onto a meager existence for the rest of your life. Nothing will ever compare to the absolute best carefree times anybody in life gets to experience as those 16 - 26 glory days. You'll always look wistfully back on it, while looking forwards seems to get worse and worse. Regular skaters generally are between the pro and normie arcs. Whatever glory skating years and rough less-skilled future we face is more extreme for pros. This forum has seen hundreds of pros become piles, far in excess of gen pop.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -101
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2023, 10:38:19 PM »
He said he got beat up and they stole his dog. Poor dude.

I hope he gets his dog back. My dogs are my heart and soul.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1150
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2023, 10:38:25 PM »
Hope he gets reunited with Beddy Spaghetti
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 534
    • swarm life avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2023, 10:42:54 PM »
just a reminder for those of us in the usa, 988 is the suicide prevention and mental health crisis hotline. it's free and is available 24/7.

don't hesitate to call or text those 3 digits if you are having thoughts that just might push you over the edge.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2023, 11:55:17 PM »
I have some friends who are close to him. Reached out to them, they're checking in with him. Always a good idea to check in with your friends.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2023, 12:08:18 AM »
Edit (fucking phone is fucked) I thought his dog got stolen a few weeks ago? I know his bike was stolen. Hope he is ok.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2023, 03:26:52 AM by Síota »

OwlGreen

• Rep: -128
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2023, 12:56:19 AM »
If Dollin sobered up I could imagine him having an insane skate comeback wave, no matter how little cartilage is left in his knees.

Troubadour26

• Rep: 111
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2023, 01:10:48 AM »
If Dollin sobered up I could imagine him having an insane skate comeback wave, no matter how little cartilage is left in his knees.

This would make me so happy

liquid

• Rep: -11
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2023, 02:35:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i doubt he ll sober up- he s most likely already lost most his income, so once regular life hits him and all the attention is gone, it ll be very hard for him to accept...

he already seems desperate for attention most recently with the stolen bike and his dog (that s been stolen a while ago)

Bill Salt

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2023, 02:58:26 AM »
Poor dude needs helps.No eas thing to change such a way of life after all theses years.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 778
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2023, 03:10:29 AM »
Not trying to morally grandstand but it’s probably not the best idea to dunk on someone potentially hitting rock bottom, just in case someone you know in real life ever goes through something similar.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

RoughStylin

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2023, 03:28:07 AM »
I have some friends who are close to him. Reached out to them, they're checking in with him. Always a good idea to check in with your friends.

Thank you to your friends

Groondor the Orc

• Rep: -146
  • Doper than Joey Bast’s shelltoes
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2023, 03:46:04 AM »
Someone save Dustin from becoming Duane Peters.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65231
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2023, 03:57:24 AM »
He said he got beat up and they stole his dog. Poor dude.

I hope he gets his dog back. My dogs are my heart and soul.

Damn yes that's the worst part. What kind of scumbag steals a dog? I hope he finds it but in a city like Paris the odds are pretty low unfortunately. And the police told him "there's no electricity?" Fuck that.

Terminal

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2023, 04:15:16 AM »
Sounds like the tab has been closed.

nath.

• Rep: 19
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2023, 06:20:24 AM »
Didn’t his dog just get stolen recently? Again? Seems weird that people steal his dog all the time

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3422
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2023, 07:03:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i doubt he ll sober up- he s most likely already lost most his income, so once regular life hits him and all the attention is gone, it ll be very hard for him to accept...

he already seems desperate for attention most recently with the stolen bike and his dog (that s been stolen a while ago)

Often, a person has to lose literally everything before giving sobriety a chance. Nobody is beyond hope. Wishing Dollin something good today.

RoughStylin

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2023, 07:05:51 AM »
Not trying to morally grandstand but it’s probably not the best idea to dunk on someone potentially hitting rock bottom, just in case someone you know in real life ever goes through something similar.

I truly hope this thread didn’t across that way. Now that I see Dustin is with support and okay, I can see how this thread may seem over the top.

At the time of Dustin’s posts I was truly worried for his well-being (nearly at the point of panic), especially knowing it was 3-4am Paris time and his immediate contacts were likely asleep.

I’ve known and lost too many friends to mental illness to ignore this stuff when I see it before my eyes.

It’s midnight now on the east coast of Australia and I’ll likely delete this thread in the morning.

I wish the best for uncle Dusty, I just hope the fucker understands just how important he is to so many people, especially in Australia.

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 227
  • often correct
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2023, 08:08:55 AM »
he is not okay and i desperately hope he gets the help he needs

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2023, 08:13:25 AM »
hoping he finds his way to happiness

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 410
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2023, 08:33:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I truly hope this thread didn’t across that way. Now that I see Dustin is with support and okay, I can see how this thread may seem over the top.

At the time of Dustin’s posts I was truly worried for his well-being (nearly at the point of panic), especially knowing it was 3-4am Paris time and his immediate contacts were likely asleep.

I’ve known and lost too many friends to mental illness to ignore this stuff when I see it before my eyes.

It’s midnight now on the east coast of Australia and I’ll likely delete this thread in the morning.

I wish the best for uncle Dusty, I just hope the fucker understands just how important he is to so many people, especially in Australia.

I don't think Allen meant you or starting this thread. Other people's posts have been not great.

Fingers crossed Dustin is ok and that he gets the help and support he needs to get through this as well as healthily manage and cope with his past experiences that are still weighing on him.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2023, 08:47:49 AM »
Looks like he found his dog thank fuck.

ratking

• Rep: 5
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2023, 08:53:50 AM »
Sending him positive energy

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 625
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2023, 09:00:41 AM »
What kind of monsters steal someone’s animal friend?
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

pvz423

• Rep: -4
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2023, 09:19:43 AM »
Dustin is the highest form of the typical volatile life of a pro skater, especially from the skate era of 20 years ago.

Most peoples' lives have somewhat of a wild peak during college years, but a more stable real world life after.

Pro skaters have just the best, craziest partying, drug addled, world-travelling, straight degen years of 16 to 26, and then it all goes downhill fast. You and your closest friends careers all dry up and try to latch onto a meager existence for the rest of your life. Nothing will ever compare to the absolute best carefree times anybody in life gets to experience as those 16 - 26 glory days. You'll always look wistfully back on it, while looking forwards seems to get worse and worse. Regular skaters generally are between the pro and normie arcs. Whatever glory skating years and rough less-skilled future we face is more extreme for pros. This forum has seen hundreds of pros become piles, far in excess of gen pop.

An aging pro skater definitely stole this guys girl lmao.

Getty

• Rep: 52
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2023, 09:31:30 AM »