Author Topic: Is Dustin Okay?  (Read 25862 times)

manysnakes

Re: Is Dustin Okay?
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2023, 04:22:35 PM »
Expand Quote
he strikes me as someone that can do something else other than skate.
[close]

He strikes me as the type of guy that can only skate and party. And one of those things seems to be coming to an end sooner than later because of the other.

Doesn’t he edit all the Baker videos? I’m not saying he’s Spike Jonze, but those videos have a look and feel all their own and are without question some of the most important documents of skateboarding ever made, so I think it’s pretty unfair to say the dude only parties and skates.

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3422
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2023, 04:45:50 PM »
Hope he can get help. I had someone close commit suicide and it it has a horrible domino affect for lots of people :(

I’m so sorry. And yeah…suicide so fucks up the people left behind. Hope you’re alright.

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -142
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2023, 05:09:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

He strikes me as the type of guy that can only skate and party. And one of those things seems to be coming to an end sooner than later because of the other.
[close]

Doesn’t he edit all the Baker videos? I’m not saying he’s Spike Jonze, but those videos have a look and feel all their own and are without question some of the most important documents of skateboarding ever made, so I think it’s pretty unfair to say the dude only parties and skates.

He has sat in on multiple edits but a larger portion are edited by Reynolds. Greco also used to have a hand in the edit but he’s been hands off since starting to make his own films.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1209
  • old and in the way
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2023, 05:39:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
boo hoo life as an alcoholic pro skater so hard :(
[close]

You sound like a huge dipshit
[close]
Seriously. I’m not even the biggest Dollin fan nevertheless  Pool Coping’s comments really bothers me. Hope he has a horrible Monday. Common knowledge , DD an alcoholic pro. Quite impressive the longevity of his career & how he has functioned for so long . He has an abundance of blenders under his belt  , this time feels different & not good
[close]

i had a fine monday, thank you very much. why should i feel so bad for the guy? i feel a little bit sorry for him, but he's lived a more fortunate life than most, just partying and skating all the time and milking his sponsors forever. his whole diatribe about everyone around him dying... well most people have people close to them die, that's how life is, although most people actually contribute to society and take care of their families at the same time and they just chin up and get through it because that's the only option they have.

No you didn’t. People don’t troll because they’re happy and enjoying their lives.

It was hard to read those IG stories but it’s good news that Dustin has been reunited with his dog. Hopefully he’ll be willing to get some help soon.

Stab n Kill

• Rep: 2
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2023, 08:14:57 PM »
I don’t know much about Dustin other then he continuously seems to enjoy partying. Does Australian culture embrace sobriety, AA/NA, etc? The few Australian folk I’ve encountered in NY seems to be on permanent holiday. Although they come across fairly pleasant, they sure do seem to dig alcohol.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2323
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2023, 08:19:13 PM »
I don’t know much about Dustin other then he continuously seems to enjoy partying. Does Australian culture embrace sobriety, AA/NA, etc? The few Australian folk I’ve encountered in NY seems to be on permanent holiday. Although they come across fairly pleasant, they sure do seem to dig alcohol.
I dunno ‘bout this, but my Aussie mate insists beer is considered a “sports drink” like Gatorade in Australia.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 172
  • (formerly mex.ceferino)
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2023, 08:43:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

He also films and edits at a high level. And loves movies, would love to see a feature film directed by Dustin Dollin lol. Hope he can get it together, always loved watching him skate and his style.
or featured in a jim greco film. one can dream.
by the way are there any photos or videos of greco and dustin partying together or just like hanging out? are they friends?
I can't recall any, other than that one baker team ad on a rooftop when Leo was on.
it's funny how Ali boulala seems to be the only friend documented hanging with greco and dustin separately despite all the PD lore.
I also hope Dollin receives the help he needs and wish him health and strength

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

lurkluke

• Rep: 231
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2023, 09:56:58 PM »

AA and NA aren't as big in Australia. The religious roots of AA mean people don't really do it in Aus and abstinence from alcoholism doesn't seem to be as big of a thing for "alcoholics". People just stop drinking and maybe they have one or two or they don't. It doesn't seem as rigid.

Sobriety is becoming way more accepted for adults now though.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2023, 10:20:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

AA and NA aren't as big in Australia. The religious roots of AA mean people don't really do it in Aus and abstinence from alcoholism doesn't seem to be as big of a thing for "alcoholics". People just stop drinking and maybe they have one or two or they don't. It doesn't seem as rigid.

Sobriety is becoming way more accepted for adults now though.
Thank god the youth are still getting turnt.

Just kidding.
Under age drinking is bad.

Really bad.
Don’t do it, mmm’kay?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 344
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2023, 10:22:43 PM »
Binge drinking is normalized in Australia. The younger generations are a lot smarter with drug and alcohol use, but there will always be abuse amongst all age groups. I grew up with an alcoholic stepfather that would smash a few litres of cask wine before every work day. Yeah AA exists but there's many other community programs that support those that are sober or on the path to sobriety.

I've noticed people from the US are a bit more dramatic in response to alcoholism and binge drinking and get dark on their friends/family a lot quicker for getting wasted. Maybe because the same social safety nets don't exist? Whereas those from the UK/NZ/and parts of Europe don't really care unless it's shockingly bad.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2023, 11:08:34 PM »
Being sober is a weird term in Aus. There's a huge amount of people who just don't drink at all and the majority of people actually don't drink excessively (believe it or not) but being "sober" has some weird implication like you've had serious problems and are working to fix them and/or are a preachy dickhead.

Annoyingly there is a stereotype of the drunken fuckwit that way too many people are overly keen to step into. 

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 778
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2023, 11:16:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

He also films and edits at a high level. And loves movies, would love to see a feature film directed by Dustin Dollin lol. Hope he can get it together, always loved watching him skate and his style.
[close]
by the way are there any photos or videos of greco and dustin partying together or just like hanging out? are they friends?

Wasn’t Dustin more or less in Australia for most of his career? Meanwhile aside from skating in that captains hat I don’t think I can imagine Greco leaving California.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

AnnihilationTime

• Rep: 5
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2023, 08:51:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Wasn’t Dustin more or less in Australia for most of his career? Meanwhile aside from skating in that captains hat I don’t think I can imagine Greco leaving California.

He was sent to America by Volcom when he was a teenager and ended up crashing with Warner Ave crew for a number of years. I can’t attach it because I’m on my phone, suck at posting and the file is too big but there is a pic online of all very young Greco, fresh kit boulala and dollin …. And Dollin has what looks to be cornrows lol
Next thread is about how dope AA is for caveman grinding a 3 stair out-rail. Crazy times.

Damn you got a link for that?

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 91
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2023, 12:03:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

He was sent to America by Volcom when he was a teenager and ended up crashing with Warner Ave crew for a number of years. I can’t attach it because I’m on my phone, suck at posting and the file is too big but there is a pic online of all very young Greco, fresh kit boulala and dollin …. And Dollin has what looks to be cornrows lol

LMAO. I had COMPLETLEY forgotten he had cornrows back then, think I've seen that pic before too.

I went to look for it but ended up reading this interview instead, 2019 w/Nieratko : https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2019/12/12/interview-dustin-dollin-last-piss-drunx/

ThatIsNotCricket

• Rep: 79
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2023, 02:24:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Seriously. I’m not even the biggest Dollin fan nevertheless  Pool Coping’s comments really bothers me. Hope he has a horrible Monday. Common knowledge , DD an alcoholic pro. Quite impressive the longevity of his career & how he has functioned for so long . He has an abundance of blenders under his belt  , this time feels different & not good
[close]

i had a fine monday, thank you very much. why should i feel so bad for the guy? i feel a little bit sorry for him, but he's lived a more fortunate life than most, just partying and skating all the time and milking his sponsors forever. his whole diatribe about everyone around him dying... well most people have people close to them die, that's how life is, although most people actually contribute to society and take care of their families at the same time and they just chin up and get through it because that's the only option they have.

Ah, I see what's going on here. Let me just say that you, or the person close to you that you had in mind when you wrote your comment, have done well in coping with your own, personal grief. It must not have been easy, and your struggle in overcoming this hardship deserves to be acknowledged. I can see no reason to nót take some pride in such a thing, and feel good about yourself when you look back.

I do hope, however, that you can allow yourself to take the final step: finding peace and comfort in having dealt with one of life's most painful curveballs, without the urge to compare your process of grief to other people's. Let alone the urge to then criticise or devalue these.

X
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 02:40:52 PM by ThatIsNotCricket »

CanadianBacon

• Rep: -71
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2023, 05:52:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Ah, I see what's going on here. Let me just say that you, or the person close to you that you had in mind when you wrote your comment, have done well in coping with your own, personal grief. It must not have been easy, and your struggle in overcoming this hardship deserves to be acknowledged. I can see no reason to nót take some pride in such a thing, and feel good about yourself when you look back.

I do hope, however, that you can allow yourself to take the final step: finding peace and comfort in having dealt with one of life's most painful curveballs, without the urge to compare your process of grief to other people's. Let alone the urge to then criticise or devalue these.

X

🙏   I don't share this guy's opinion on Dustin,  but I still needed to read that.   Well said man!!

BH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2023, 06:50:34 AM »
The older I get the sadder it is to see him.  I'm an alcoholic/addict, sober now, but even I felt bad for him and I'd say my drinking was way way worse.  I don't come from a "holier than thou" perspective because I'm sober, but looking back on my drinking days as so much wasted potential. If he thinks it's "cool" that's on him, but the lifestyle fucking sucks after awhile when you're deep in addiction.  It's a unsustainable lifestyle. Wouldn't wish it on anyone     

Lhotse�s Pit of Death

« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2023, 08:47:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

No you didn’t. People don’t troll because they’re happy and enjoying their lives.

It was hard to read those IG stories but it’s good news that Dustin has been reunited with his dog. Hopefully he’ll be willing to get some help soon.
Bullshit. Life is like an order of delicious, hot, crispy, and perfectly seasoned fries. Trolling is like Heinz ketchup- it can only enhance an already great experience.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1209
  • old and in the way
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2023, 10:46:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
Bullshit. Life is like an order of delicious, hot, crispy, and perfectly seasoned fries. Trolling is like Heinz ketchup- it can only enhance an already great experience.

That sounds incredibly sad. Sorry.

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 91
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2023, 10:58:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Bullshit. Life is like eating those delicious hot crispy fries in a nice restaurant and the fuckwit at the table next to you starts rambling to you about how you should really be dipping your fries in ketchup. Sure, the fuckwit can do that, but really everyone wishes they would stop.

work_lurker

• Rep: 107
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2023, 12:33:41 PM »
The times I've trolled are not my proudest moments. I would agree those thoughts do not come from a happy place, rather they are a plea for a return to normalcy, or what you feel should be the status quo.
And then you realize, "fuck what I think, let other people deal with shit in their own way as long as it doesn't harm anyone. God, I've been such a fucking asshole for no reason."
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 136
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2023, 01:28:15 PM »
Being the wild drunk character was part of his persona that people counted on and it’s probably harder to stop doing the thing that made you popular and marketable. You may end up postponing changing your ways because then you’ll wonder “who am I, anyway?”.

He was a one of a kind skater and one of my favorites, so I hope he can ride off into the sunset and do well post skate career.

theextrabanana

• Rep: -135
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2023, 01:31:33 PM »
What? trolling is literally one of the only reasons to come to slap. It’s no sadder than pretending in your head like dustin dollin is somehow your friend because you liked his sight unseen part in 2002

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -64
  • ???
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2023, 01:40:11 PM »
is Sammy baca sober?

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2023, 02:22:01 PM »
i know someone else already asked but who the fuck steals a dog????

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2023, 03:02:19 PM »
I hope getting his dog back has him feeling better. Is he still married? I don't think he has to do art or anything else. He should be doing well financially. He made a lot of money in his time in the industry having vans and volcom as sponsors for so long and owning a distribution (probably among other things). I'm sure he's made more than kirchart and while not as frugal as him, he doesn't seem like the type to have blown it all on stupid shit.

Kirchart owns a shitload of real estate. He’s probably doing better than 99% of ex pros

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2023, 03:46:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I dunno ‘bout this, but my Aussie mate insists beer is considered a “sports drink” like Gatorade in Australia.
lol your Aussie mate is technically a bit of a deadshit then.  We are pretty fucked with alcohol and have a huge drinking culture, but i've got plenty of sober friends, and my friends don't drink much these days, but we're old fuckheads.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2023, 05:51:57 PM »

Some of the worst type of people. Can't understand exactly what Dustin is going through but the feeling of losing a dog or getting it stolen, is absolutely crushing. My wife and I had our sweet boy "Pirata" stolen. This was back in 2018 and it still hurts.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2023, 06:03:36 PM »
Dog thieves would be my bet if I were a gambling man.

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2023, 06:35:13 PM »
I want him to continue to have boards forever, he is so sick. Polka dots forever
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"