Author Topic: Is Dustin Okay?  (Read 25864 times)

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 778
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Is Dustin Okay?
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2023, 06:41:19 PM »
Expand Quote
i know someone else already asked but who the fuck steals a dog????
[close]

Some of the worst type of people. Can't understand exactly what Dustin is going through but the feeling of losing a dog or getting it stolen, is absolutely crushing. My wife and I had our sweet boy "Pirata" stolen. This was back in 2018 and it still hurts.

Damn, I’m sorry. I can’t even imagine. Some pals might be familiar with some of the shit I’ve gone through involving my dog… and I truly don’t know what I would do if I were in your shoes. That’s truly fucking heart breaking and I’m so sorry that it happened. 
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

bob george

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2023, 07:30:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don’t know much about Dustin other then he continuously seems to enjoy partying. Does Australian culture embrace sobriety, AA/NA, etc? The few Australian folk I’ve encountered in NY seems to be on permanent holiday. Although they come across fairly pleasant, they sure do seem to dig alcohol.
[close]
I dunno ‘bout this, but my Aussie mate insists beer is considered a “sports drink” like Gatorade in Australia.
[close]
lol your Aussie mate is technically a bit of a deadshit then.  We are pretty fucked with alcohol and have a huge drinking culture, but i've got plenty of sober friends, and my friends don't drink much these days, but we're old fuckheads.
I (australian) am the only person I know who doesn't drink and it definitely weirds people out, like truly makes them uncomfortable. I know quite a lot of people who say they don't drink but would have at least one beer everyday, and if they didn't have one everyday they would definitely make up for the missed day on the weekend. The amount of times I have seen people giving their babies/small children sips of alcohol disturbs me. Also, through highschool pretty much everyone's parents were cool from like 14/15 on to have parties involving alcohol at their houses/happy to buy their kids and friends alcohol and let them go "out" to just walk around in the street being drunk.

I have my vices too, but alcohol just never clicked with me and I don't want to judge people for whatever gets them through the day/night but Australia definitely has a drinking problem. I hear people talk about sobriety, but they all still drink. I'm speaking in broad strokes obviously too - no offence to anyone.

former prime minister "proving he is still an Aussie larrikin at heart"
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2023, 01:41:06 AM »
Let's turn this into a presidential chugging thread.
Here is Macron (the current French President) chugging a beer:
https://youtu.be/uZKqEHY8ptk?si=b_h6CC6kyrtJR8JO

I think the fact that a pub owner found his dog, it's more likely Dustin got in a scrap and the dog bolted...

Jebediah

• Rep: 108
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2023, 02:12:26 AM »
I hope Dustin is ok. I hope I'm ok.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2023, 08:27:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don’t know much about Dustin other then he continuously seems to enjoy partying. Does Australian culture embrace sobriety, AA/NA, etc? The few Australian folk I’ve encountered in NY seems to be on permanent holiday. Although they come across fairly pleasant, they sure do seem to dig alcohol.
[close]
I dunno ‘bout this, but my Aussie mate insists beer is considered a “sports drink” like Gatorade in Australia.
[close]
lol your Aussie mate is technically a bit of a deadshit then.  We are pretty fucked with alcohol and have a huge drinking culture, but i've got plenty of sober friends, and my friends don't drink much these days, but we're old fuckheads.
[close]
I (australian) am the only person I know who doesn't drink and it definitely weirds people out, like truly makes them uncomfortable. I know quite a lot of people who say they don't drink but would have at least one beer everyday, and if they didn't have one everyday they would definitely make up for the missed day on the weekend. The amount of times I have seen people giving their babies/small children sips of alcohol disturbs me. Also, through highschool pretty much everyone's parents were cool from like 14/15 on to have parties involving alcohol at their houses/happy to buy their kids and friends alcohol and let them go "out" to just walk around in the street being drunk.

I have my vices too, but alcohol just never clicked with me and I don't want to judge people for whatever gets them through the day/night but Australia definitely has a drinking problem. I hear people talk about sobriety, but they all still drink. I'm speaking in broad strokes obviously too - no offence to anyone.

Man when you put it like that, growing up in Australia was pretty great
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Terminal

« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2023, 09:07:43 PM »
As a fellow boozehound to another, Dustin has not been OK the second he discovered alcohol...

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2023, 05:18:04 AM »

I think the fact that a pub owner found his dog, it's more likely Dustin got in a scrap and the dog bolted...

My thoughts exactly.

Also the second time his dog was "stolen" lol like C'mon dude
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

dropintopileout

• Rep: -39
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2023, 06:51:25 AM »
Poor Dustin. I hope he's getting the help he needs from people that care. That is tough hole to crawl out of and I didn't let it drag into my 40s. Dude is looking rough for his age.

Gonna watch baker 3 later and hope he finds his way to peace.

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2023, 02:26:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Thank you for reminding me this video exists

https://youtu.be/7xnXf5bL98E?si=aGhJ2_StyG74k3lU

ThatIsNotCricket

• Rep: 79
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2023, 03:45:09 PM »

I think heads of state, prime ministers and prime minister-hopefuls deserve a mention too;

Xi & Dave 'avin it.

Charles having a Guinness (unless he's wise enough to insist on a Beamish).

C*nt + pint 1

C*nt + pint 2 (+ bonus c*nt)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 03:54:40 PM by ThatIsNotCricket »

lurkluke

• Rep: 231
« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2023, 03:48:53 PM »
I've got a photo of King Charles drinking a beer in my brewery (prev ownership).

Political campaign photos, and royals, are banned under my ownership.

Fake-Slander-son

• Rep: -25
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2023, 04:14:49 PM »
Isn't his nickname "Hell Spawn"??

Sounds like self-fulfilling prophecy.

Terminal

« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2023, 08:34:01 PM »
Pretty sure Bob Hawke held the yard glass, world record for a minute or two...

PC500

• Rep: 6
« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2023, 12:41:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

I get that us Aussies have a rep for cutting serious piss but these things are not normal. Where did you grow up?

rukes

• Rep: 221
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #104 on: November 11, 2023, 01:50:59 AM »
I grew up in Qld and kids were always havin a sip of Dads beer or a taste of wine or something. I still remember the taste of a cold XXXX as a kid.  And then from about 15 onwards, most highschool kids were getting pissed anytime there was a party. Someone had cool parents who would buy a few cartons and a few bottles of spirits. I never really partook. Being a pisshead is just accepted here maybe? Unless you're full blown, got the shakes alcoholic, it's not really considered a problem. I've worked places where there were blokes who would smash 15 beers a night, every night, and then get up early the next day and work a 10 hr day in the heat. Fuck that.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #105 on: November 11, 2023, 05:11:04 AM »
Defs had sips of parents’ alcohol as a kid, they’d even make me a shandy at family get togethers etc. And yes, used to go to multiple house parties back when 14 - 17 where parents didn’t care if kids got wasted. Maybe it’s a generation thing? I’m taking mid 90s in Sydney. My dad would easily drink 3-4 beers on average per day for years and we thought nothing of it. My neighbour’s would sink 12 or so a day, but could still function so even though we thought of him as a bit of a ‘heavy drinker’, we never really considered him an alcoholic (even though he was)
Not to defend Dustin or anything, but he grew up in the blue mountains, I know kids that went to high school with him that would take magic mushrooms etc. before class! Tonnes of people at my high school would smoke bongs during lunch etc.
Katoomba (where he grew up) has always had a massive drug culture, so him swigging a few beers probably doesn’t seem like that much in his mind….
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 05:23:22 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

fergus

• Rep: 46
« Reply #106 on: November 11, 2023, 06:02:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

I get that us Aussies have a rep for cutting serious piss but these things are not normal. Where did you grow up?

I’m 25 and grew up in WA and have experienced or seen similar to what Bob George did. From the conversations I have and over hear amongst the younger skaters so have they. It’s not at all far fetched or out of the norm.

prisoner223

« Reply #107 on: November 11, 2023, 06:57:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

I'm 23 and from NSW. I'd say pretty much everything said has been similar to my experience. Pretty much everyone I know was drinking by 15/16, some people a lot younger. (Unfortunately) even parents who were more strict were okay with drinking at parties by about 16. Discussions about alcohol related problems aren't taken seriously (in my experience), I used to drink longnecks before work at a cafe and even that was considered fine by the people around me. I'm sure it's not like that everywhere but I'm yet to find a place where it's not somewhat normal to be a pisshead

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #108 on: November 11, 2023, 08:23:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
I'm 23 and from NSW. I'd say pretty much everything said has been similar to my experience. Pretty much everyone I know was drinking by 15/16, some people a lot younger. (Unfortunately) even parents who were more strict were okay with drinking at parties by about 16. Discussions about alcohol related problems aren't taken seriously (in my experience), I used to drink longnecks before work at a cafe and even that was considered fine by the people around me. I'm sure it's not like that everywhere but I'm yet to find a place where it's not somewhat normal to be a pisshead

Ireland's the same. I think most places with drinking culture's are like this to be honest..
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -101
« Reply #109 on: November 11, 2023, 09:04:50 AM »
This is sad to see, but his declining mental health is no doubt a product (whether directly or indirectly) of a once fantastic skateboarder continuing to make a series of poor lifestyle choices and refusing to give up the 'Piss Drunx' mentality at 42 years old. Sure, the injuries he has sustained directly as a result of skateboarding probably haven't helped, but I am certain that the alcohol & cigarettes have been the driving factor in destroying his body and mind, making him look like he is ten years older than he actually is and totally wrecking any sense of balance, coordination and athleticism that he once had. Anyone who says otherwise is in complete denial or still living the piss drunx lifestyle themselves.

Vans have (unsurprisingly) dropped his lazy ass. No longer on any of the team pages (fr, euro or us). He was a great skater ten years ago. It's honestly a shame he never capitalised on the countless opportunities he's had to get clean and be sober. In the last five years he has been earning money from his sponsors for doing literally nothing. All his recent appearances in clips have just been him in the background yelling out something indecipherable while holding a can of beer in his hand and smoking a dart. It was funny the first few times, now it's just sad. Surprised Vans held on as long as they did, probably felt some sense of obligation or loyalty to him, even though in terms of a business contract he was giving nothing back to them in return.

He needs to stop basking in his past success and trying to relive his glory days.

I wish him the best and hope he can turn his life around, but I have very little sympathy for him at this point.

I'm confused by your statements, Dollin is still on the team page in the United States, am I missing something:

https://www.vans.ca/en-ca/team?icn=subnav

Dirty Douggie

• Rep: 12
« Reply #110 on: November 11, 2023, 09:14:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Ireland's the same. I think most places with drinking culture's are like this to be honest..

In France, drinking culture is a bit different i would say.
People start drinking pretty young too, 15 or 16 i would say. . And most people drink to a various extent, but it's because drinking alcohol is so much interwined with food. That can go from a daily glass of wine, to a couple of glasses, to a more problematic amount (nowhere near the amount mentionned by our feellow Anstralians though). But no matter the amount, drinking and knowing about wine can have a real social value  and be part of someone's identity. In professional circles, or family reunions, it's always a token of culture to be able to hold a conversation about wine.
In that context, sobriety is not that much of a thing. Very few people try to reach sobriety as a life goal or as a token of respectability or as wat to a more healthy lifestyle. It's there, but very minor. And while there is a public health discourse about reducing one'consumption, like in most developped countries, the path to full sobriety is not necessarly pushed. It's more about moderation.
Also, the wine industry is so instrumental for our country, economically ans culturally, that it's obviously not surpising that sobriety is not much talked about.

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 216
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2023, 08:31:21 PM »
It is normal where I am to start as soon as you like. Tradies - painters, roofers etc. all start in the morning. 10am is usually time at first smoko to crack a beer. But since some start work at 5:30am it starts earlier.

But it’s dying out. The younger generation are more keen on the gym before work than a drink. But even they will get shitfaced from Thursday to Monday spending their money on grog and (mostly) shit coke.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1315
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2023, 11:29:28 PM »
Expand Quote
This is sad to see, but his declining mental health is no doubt a product (whether directly or indirectly) of a once fantastic skateboarder continuing to make a series of poor lifestyle choices and refusing to give up the 'Piss Drunx' mentality at 42 years old. Sure, the injuries he has sustained directly as a result of skateboarding probably haven't helped, but I am certain that the alcohol & cigarettes have been the driving factor in destroying his body and mind, making him look like he is ten years older than he actually is and totally wrecking any sense of balance, coordination and athleticism that he once had. Anyone who says otherwise is in complete denial or still living the piss drunx lifestyle themselves.

Vans have (unsurprisingly) dropped his lazy ass. No longer on any of the team pages (fr, euro or us). He was a great skater ten years ago. It's honestly a shame he never capitalised on the countless opportunities he's had to get clean and be sober. In the last five years he has been earning money from his sponsors for doing literally nothing. All his recent appearances in clips have just been him in the background yelling out something indecipherable while holding a can of beer in his hand and smoking a dart. It was funny the first few times, now it's just sad. Surprised Vans held on as long as they did, probably felt some sense of obligation or loyalty to him, even though in terms of a business contract he was giving nothing back to them in return.

He needs to stop basking in his past success and trying to relive his glory days.

I wish him the best and hope he can turn his life around, but I have very little sympathy for him at this point.
[close]

I'm confused by your statements, Dollin is still on the team page in the United States, am I missing something:

https://www.vans.ca/en-ca/team?icn=subnav
That is the canadian team page and they also still have Justin Henry listed so it hasn't been updated.

spungo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • Lord Ganesha
« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2023, 02:28:25 PM »
This thread is depressing but unfortunately unsurprising
do more yoga!

Banned from the room

« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2023, 12:13:12 PM »
I hope Dustin is ok. I hope I'm ok.

I hope you're both ok too.

I hope everyone is doing ok

Except cops.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 33
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #115 on: November 16, 2023, 06:07:57 PM »
damn. little late to this, hope everything is all well

The Drew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2023, 09:56:42 PM »
Defs had sips of parents’ alcohol as a kid, they’d even make me a shandy at family get togethers etc. And yes, used to go to multiple house parties back when 14 - 17 where parents didn’t care if kids got wasted. Maybe it’s a generation thing? I’m taking mid 90s in Sydney. My dad would easily drink 3-4 beers on average per day for years and we thought nothing of it. My neighbour’s would sink 12 or so a day, but could still function so even though we thought of him as a bit of a ‘heavy drinker’, we never really considered him an alcoholic (even though he was)
Not to defend Dustin or anything, but he grew up in the blue mountains, I know kids that went to high school with him that would take magic mushrooms etc. before class! Tonnes of people at my high school would smoke bongs during lunch etc.
Katoomba (where he grew up) has always had a massive drug culture, so him swigging a few beers probably doesn’t seem like that much in his mind….

cones between classes and at lunch was pretty normal at my high school too.
Also as other Australians have mentioned Getting hammered from 14/15 is also "normal"... and most parents were cool about it. I think the whole mindset was... kids are going to find out a way to drink anyway so might as well let them do it and know where they are doing it....

does anyone here know DD personally... and if they do have they reached out to him?

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2023, 03:39:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

cones between classes and at lunch was pretty normal at my high school too.
Also as other Australians have mentioned Getting hammered from 14/15 is also "normal"... and most parents were cool about it. I think the whole mindset was... kids are going to find out a way to drink anyway so might as well let them do it and know where they are doing it....

does anyone here know DD personally... and if they do have they reached out to him?

yeah i do, i reached out to him to ask why he left so many half drunk beers at my place
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

Hypnotoad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2023, 06:56:45 AM »
That “to all my friends, fuck you” shit reminds me of a drunk/cokehead friend who has been texting sob stories that end that way to all of his old buddies who have moved on from that lifestyle.

It’s like a cry for help from someone who will get mad at you when you do try to help… confounding addict behavior

There is a proven blueprint for dealing with this, so hopefully he can find some clarity to get help.  If not, a mandatory hospital stay may be in order.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 708
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2023, 08:35:55 AM »
pretty sure i fried my brain
was pretty normal for kids to smoke weed / cigarettes / drink at like 12-13... i thought those kids were really bad at that age and most of them are pure criminals now tbh
i first smoked weed and drank when i was 14 and then got pretty into it at 16
i think thats why i never really grew out of skateboarding and street fighter, my brain probably didnt fully develop and move on to think more long term etc.
but then i look at my brother who doesnt smoke weed at all or really drink, and he is even more fried than i am
so now im not even really sure