Author Topic: Remy and austyn in rassvet  (Read 12077 times)

231st Street

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -211
Re: Remy and austyn in rassvet
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2024, 04:35:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is this the equivalent of a former NBA player going to Europe to extend their career?
[close]
He probably sees it as the equivalent of Hemingway moving to Spain
[close]
This is hilarious, gnarred!

Yes, classic.  I won't gnar, but will post these sort of absurd, yet highly accurate, comments are what we come to slap for.  Despite all the absurdity and self seriousness, I still love Austyn's skating.  I have to admit I kind of like his Globe model shoes (looks like I could wear them to my office ha), but im not sure im ready to take the plunge to buying Globe shoes.  Ive always associated globe with cheap completes (but I'm in US).

TMKF

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -488
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2024, 04:49:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is this the equivalent of a former NBA player going to Europe to extend their career?
[close]
[close]
[close]

Yes, classic.  I won't gnar, but will post these sort of absurd, yet highly accurate, comments are what we come to slap for.  Despite all the absurdity and self seriousness, I still love Austyn's skating.  I have to admit I kind of like his Globe model shoes (looks like I could wear them to my office ha), but im not sure im ready to take the plunge to buying Globe shoes.  Ive always associated globe with cheap completes (but I'm in US).

His shoe is a 1:1 replica of a sneaker by UK designer Studio Nicholson. It’s actually quite embarrassing, I understand inspiration but a total copy?

https://www.studionicholson.com/products/sharp-canvas-shoe-in-dove

231st Street

• Rep: -211
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2024, 04:57:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

His shoe is a 1:1 replica of a sneaker by UK designer Studio Nicholson. It’s actually quite embarrassing, I understand inspiration but a total copy?

Makes sense- I thought I've seen very similar looking sneakers around in NYC.  Very interesting.

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 12
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2024, 05:13:09 AM »
Who and who in what now?

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -322
« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2024, 06:16:05 AM »
Idk what Rassvet is but hopefully we get a welcome part

turdtastic

• Rep: 59
« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2024, 06:45:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

WOW
I really love Austyn’s skating, but “his” shoe design is at Beatrice level at this point.

one-off

• Rep: 108
« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2024, 06:46:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Up the River and into the Trees

To Have Switch Tres and Have Not

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1124
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2024, 06:54:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
WOW
I really love Austyn’s skating, but “his” shoe design is at Beatrice level at this point.

historically, like half of all skate shoes are just copies right?

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1088
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2024, 07:10:32 AM »
And the ones that aren’t don't seem to do so well.

turdtastic

• Rep: 59
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2024, 07:53:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
WOW
[close]

historically, like half of all skate shoes are just copies right?
True
I guess I was expecting something more original from him and surprised when the curtain was pulled back.
Still, pretty egregious tho…

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 785
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2024, 08:47:03 AM »

Globe Austin

Studio Nicholson

Thought I would post both so we can easily compare. Dam. Didn’t know. It’s true that some of the best skate shoes are copies, but during the launch of the Austyn Globe he was playing when he had to explain the inspo lol could have kept it brief and just said he ripped the shoe. Anyone got time stamps to prove that the Nicholson shoe came out before and how long it’s been out.

Anyway stoked on rassvet. The clothes seem kind of loud for what Austyn normally wears but whatever. Surprised nobody has bitched about Gosha being appointed head of yeezy yet and still bitching about his insta scandal from years ago.

nothing's been the since same

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2024, 09:11:43 AM »
A Farewell to Highwaters

manuduncan

• Rep: 28
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2024, 11:00:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
To be honest looks like Austyn is already making a good bank from Former and is just going where his style fits.
[close]

is austyn really making enough from former and globe? not to shit talk the clothes but i just haven't seen any former in the wild, same with globes
[close]
In Australia Former and Globe are sold at heaps of surf shops and clothing chains (Glue, General Pants etc.)  and sell relatively well. Havent seen anyone skate Globes in the wild but I live in Victoria so maybe might be a bit more popular further north.

ah i see very interesting

yea for some reason i thought having former and globe as your main sponsors wouldn't even be enough to pay for your monthly utilities bill

it must be selling enough internationally then because in socal i have seen none of either. and like someone else said earlier, the surfers involved have gotta be driving more sales than their skaters. if there are any surf bros on here, i'd love to know how popular former is among them

in any case rassvet is sick, their "i missed you" edit which starts with a statement condemning the invasion of ukraine was a pleasant out of nowhere "whoa this video rips" for me

icedancer

• Rep: -15
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2024, 11:41:11 AM »
Austyn’s shoe also looks a lot like this Acne Studios sneaker.
https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/797981627702402452/

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2024, 11:59:37 AM »

Globe Austin

Studio Nicholson

Thought I would post both so we can easily compare. Dam. Didn’t know. It’s true that some of the best skate shoes are copies, but during the launch of the Austyn Globe he was playing when he had to explain the inspo lol could have kept it brief and just said he ripped the shoe. Anyone got time stamps to prove that the Nicholson shoe came out before and how long it’s been out.

Anyway stoked on rassvet. The clothes seem kind of loud for what Austyn normally wears but whatever. Surprised nobody has bitched about Gosha being appointed head of yeezy yet and still bitching about his insta scandal from years ago.

am i missing something? those shoes are different right? different outsole, laces, uppers, texture, heel, etc. for sure inspired, but i thought it was going to be way worse

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1124
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2024, 12:16:50 PM »
Generally, you can't just lift a design full sale and call it a performance skate shoe. It's a different shoe, but you can see the inspiration. I imagine, Austin went to the globe designers and said, "let's make something like this", which I don't think is a big deal. I doubt Studio Nicholson wanted to get into the skate market anyway.

https://thehundreds.com/blogs/content/questionable-retracing-the-strange-history-of-skate-shoe-design
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 12:24:25 PM by TwisT »

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2281
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2024, 12:22:25 PM »
One of those has rectangular eyelets. Come on, get your vision checked people!

lurkluke

• Rep: 195
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2024, 12:44:39 PM »
The number of laces are different, the soles are different, the silhouette is different, the toe is different, the tongue is different, the heel is different.

one-off

• Rep: 108
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2024, 02:11:19 PM »
A Farewell to Highwaters

The Old Man and the C Suite

wax poetic

• Rep: 45
  • fuck it, I'll stir the pot
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2024, 02:16:40 PM »
Generally, you can't just lift a design full sale and call it a performance skate shoe. It's a different shoe, but you can see the inspiration. I imagine, Austin went to the globe designers and said, "let's make something like this", which I don't think is a big deal. I doubt Studio Nicholson wanted to get into the skate market anyway.

https://thehundreds.com/blogs/content/questionable-retracing-the-strange-history-of-skate-shoe-design

Not uncommon at all ... Look at Dylan's Gravis shoe ... and then look at the Frye Mindy women's slip on.  I was bummed when I first realized.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 130
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2024, 02:25:34 PM »
Expand Quote
A Farewell to Highwaters
[close]

The Old Man and the C Suite

The Hem Also Rises
For Whom The Board Rolls
A Clean, Well Lighted Fakie Flip

benboardbreaker

• Rep: 46
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2024, 03:15:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
He joined a Russian company... Odd
[close]

Don’t fuck with that at all given the state of the world. What do they pay him in? Beets? Isn’t Russian money worthless.
[close]

Pretty sure Tolya moved to Paris. And in the last video RASSVET denounced the war, which is a ballsy move considering the extreme repression in Russia.

And, while there are some serious kooks in the Russian skate scene for sure (I can think of one dude who is making the rounds on state media and doing good Orthodox Christian appearances, despite having a history of well known scandals), many of the dudes who fled Russia when the war began and many of those who are stuck in Russia taking care of relatives or whatever are beyond amazing people.

Most of the Russian skate scene is very different from the Russian gov. Hell, around 2013, Moscow had one of the best scenes in the world, because of all the dudes who were a part of Absurd and Nasvay/Dura. Today, Tolya has done a great job and, in my opinion, has made an absolutely amazing brand. Not to mention Gosha Konyshev (Tolya's former teammate on Absurd who did the Zima video a few years back not the designer Gosha Rub-whatever who had photos/texts with the underage boys) recently released an amazing video part that took years to make out in the middle of nowhere.

Thank you for this recap of Russian skating. I saw some good videos from there ten years ago or something. Probably these that you mention here. I was so impressed with how good they where. Also Soviet architecture looks so depressing in a cool way. 

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2024, 03:36:17 PM »
The number of laces are different, the soles are different, the silhouette is different, the toe is different, the tongue is different, the heel is different.
Haha you could probably say (much of) the same about the various GT blazer low versions, yet they’re still essentially the same shoe
(I say this half-jokingly)

beug

• Rep: 3
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2024, 04:05:57 PM »

and pontus most likely jacked some elements from stepney workers club for LRAB

sometimes originality ≠ good ...

lurkluke

• Rep: 195
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2024, 04:08:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Haha you could probably say (much of) the same about the various GT blazer low versions, yet they’re still essentially the same shoe
(I say this half-jokingly)

Yeah I don't know anything about shoe and shoe design but there isn't a whole lot you can do with it from what I can see. If everything is different outside of the colour and that wavy motif (which is also slightly different) it seems pretty different to me?

beug

« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2024, 04:09:13 PM »

beug

« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2024, 04:04:14 PM »

icedancer

• Rep: -15
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2024, 05:12:06 PM »
Did Last Resort take some design elements from Stepney Workers Club?

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1265
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2024, 06:19:51 PM »
Wait was remy not on already? I’m confused

AllisonChalmers

• Rep: -41
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2024, 06:50:32 PM »

Globe Austin

Studio Nicholson

For Whom The Shell Toes